Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 262475 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2323: Aug 21, 2017 04:15:18 pm
      Hope is not a valid strategy! :D

Neither is baseless pessimism and weird conspiracy theories ;-)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #2324: Aug 21, 2017 04:21:55 pm
      Neither is baseless pessimism and weird conspiracy theories ;-)

Baseless pessimism?

Ok then captain.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2325: Aug 21, 2017 04:28:25 pm
      I reckon we should say f**k it, let's just put a bid in and see the reaction, they (Saint's) are either going to say f**k off or they might just want do a deal to get him off the staff,

I'd start with a £55m bid and test their resolve....if their adamant they won't deal with LFC then we will know for sure won't we and we can move on, I honestly can't see anyone else interested so us bidding might just be the straw on that camels back, no offence Rio.

YNWA

I agree with putting in a bid but I wouldn't even dream of trying to low ball, slap at least £65 million on the table and be prepared to go to £75 million, if they still say no then walk away but do it quick so that we can get try to get someone else in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2326: Aug 21, 2017 04:49:27 pm
      I reckon we should say f**k it, let's just put a bid in and see the reaction, they (Saint's) are either going to say f**k off or they might just want do a deal to get him off the staff,

I'd start with a £55m bid and test their resolve....if their adamant they won't deal with LFC then we will know for sure won't we and we can move on, I honestly can't see anyone else interested so us bidding might just be the straw on that camels back, no offence Rio.

YNWA

I agree but I'd go in at £65m, when people like Kyle Walker go for £50m, no reason to piss them off further. I'd have hoped this has been talked about privately though.

All this "we're ready to swoop", "if Saints want to call us, we're ready to act", total bullshit makes me think of those idiots that dance around in a fight shouting sh*t at each other rather than just throwing a punch. We're all mouth and no action, stick one on them and make it a knock out blow, £65m, done.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2327: Aug 21, 2017 04:54:30 pm
      I agree but I'd go in at £65m, when people like Kyle Walker go for £50m, no reason to piss them off further. I'd have hoped this has been talked about privately though.

All this "we're ready to swoop", "if Saints want to call us, we're ready to act", total bullshit makes me think of those idiots that dance around in a fight shouting sh*t at each other rather than just throwing a punch. We're all mouth and no action, stick one on them and make it a knock out blow, £65m, done.

I'm tempted to +1 you as I completely agree with you, but as I made exactly the same point as you and you didn't +1 me then screw you ;-)
      In all seriousness I would at this stage be surprised if we don't end up getting him for somewhere between £65-70 million, Saints simply will not be able to turn down that kind of money, at least the new owners won't be!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2328: Aug 21, 2017 04:58:46 pm
      I'm tempted to +1 you as I completely agree with you, but as I made exactly the same point as you and you didn't +1 me then screw you ;-)

:lmao:

Fair enough!

I actually only read Billy's post as he'd mentioned me, then scrolled down and saw yours. Not sure it's a good thing that I'm agreeing with you though, I feel dirty inside now.  :f_tongueincheek:

In all seriousness I would at this stage be surprised if we don't end up getting him for somewhere between £65-70 million, Saints simply will not be able to turn down that kind of money, at least the new owners won't be!

Yeah, I took huge encouragement in their stance. I really did think it swung on whether they were ambitious or not and they couldn't have been more emphatic with that as their first statement. As a Saints fan I'd have been furious, but as someone trying to prise one of their best assets away it was music to my ears. (Cue the FSG comparisons that would be hard to deny)
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2329: Aug 21, 2017 05:19:45 pm

Little doubt the clubs talk to each other, We have done enough business in the past to where there is some type of connection to speaking with they're board.

I think a lot of this bravado on both sides is appeasement of the supporters as to the boards business is business.

So while we can all say put in a bid the I don't think we will put an official one in without knowing if its going to happen or not.

Other clubs we deal with outside of the UK it's understandable that there are "indications of intenet" and you do submit bids like with RB; however seeing the amount of players we have taken from them the past 5 years I think there is a direct line of communication to know unofficially the result before a bid is ever placed.

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #2330: Aug 21, 2017 06:47:04 pm
      Please, from our end, can we issue ultimatum to Southampton?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #2331: Aug 21, 2017 07:32:06 pm
      Please, from our end, can we issue ultimatum to Southampton?

Yeh thing is - for all we chortle at Barcelona........they have actually BID for wee Phil.....not once but three times. 

We've a bit of catching up to do before issuing ultimatums actually 🙄
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #2332: Aug 21, 2017 07:38:27 pm

Holy smokes! Rather apologise than this

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #2333: Aug 21, 2017 07:46:08 pm
      Holy smokes! Rather apologise than this

Please tell me the irony of "holy smokes" with your user name was intentional.....it would restore my faith in humanity?

But yeh bid - crazy talk eh ;)
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #2334: Aug 21, 2017 07:55:08 pm

Please tell me the irony of "holy smokes" with your user name was intentional.....it would restore my faith in humanity?

Let us keep it that way :cool-smiley-027: :cool-smiley-027: :chongin:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2335: Aug 21, 2017 10:08:53 pm
      Put a transfer request in but we are too scared to even put an official offer in.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2336: Aug 21, 2017 11:04:03 pm
      Put a transfer request in but we are too scared to even put an official offer in.

Even I who can't stand our owners wouldn't have predicted this one. It's f****** bizarre, and how anyone at all cannot call it as such is a complete mystery to me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2337: Aug 21, 2017 11:08:36 pm
      Even I who can't stand our owners wouldn't have predicted this one. It's f****** bizarre, and how anyone at all cannot call it as such is a complete mystery to me.

Unless it's all being well and truly kept under wraps until Saints get another CB in, I really don't get what the issue is in putting in an offer. If the club do it all through the proper channels and officially then there is no reason for Saints to kick up a fuss. Keep seeing reports saying we are waiting to be given the green light to bid for him. What the hell is that all about, they are intent to keep VVD by the looks of things like we were with Coutinho so they aren't going to give the green light to receive offers. We need to do what Barca done, put some offers in and hope they are too good to refuse. As much as Barca have gotten under our skin, at least they didn't piss around in trying to get their target, despite the fact they weren't successful.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2338: Aug 22, 2017 08:10:34 am

Yes, of course, my bad, thats the effect FSG are having on my mental state ' F***ing Low Balling bas**rds,  put a decent bid in you wankers and lets get this done!!!!

" Dementia I'm only have the man I used to be "

YNWA
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2339: Aug 22, 2017 09:35:13 am

I know this has been said before but the fact is "we" did, (in our embarrassingly grovelling apology), say that we had ended our interest.

Surely, if we want to show that, as a Club, we still have integrity then "we" can not break that promise?

I may be way, way, off here but if "we" have any semblance of dignity left; that alone wouldn't allow us to go crawling back.

As for his transfer request...

"I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed."

"Enquiries" and "clubs" [plural] may be the salient points - looks like he's not that fussy. In my opinion, obviously.

Kopite78
      Reply #2340: Aug 22, 2017 10:00:06 am
      I know this has been said before but the fact is "we" did, (in our embarrassingly grovelling apology), say that we had ended our interest.

Surely, if we want to show that, as a Club, we still have integrity then "we" can not break that promise?

I may be way, way, off here but if "we" have any semblance of dignity left; that alone wouldn't allow us to go crawling back.

"I have been left frustrated by the club’s position that I am not for sale and am disappointed that enquiries from multiple top clubs have been consistently rebuffed."

"Enquiries" and "clubs" [plural] may be the salient points - looks like he's not that fussy. In my opinion, obviously.

I'm not sure what we are playing at with it but I imagine from his view he's just keeping his options open.

By all reports he spoke to numerous clubs earlier in the  year but was more 'sold' by us, now for me looking at Chelsea, they could do with a cb looking  at who they played there at the weekend. Arsenal are sh*te there, City could do with one..
      So you have to be the question why haven't any of those bid? Forget us but there's been no bid from any of those top clubs.
      Does that suggest that he really does want is still? They dont see the point?

I'm genuinely not sure but take out our f**k ups, I can't see why they won't bid when it's known by trusted reporters that he spoke to at least those three clubs as well as us?

He will defiantly move somewhere by August 31.. I think he still hopes it's us
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2341: Aug 22, 2017 10:02:46 am

It was a ridiculous thing to say, that we've ended all our interest, but I think its irrelevant. There must be things going on behind the scenes otherwise why are the odds on VVD becoming a Liverpool player still so very strong.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2342: Aug 22, 2017 10:04:59 am
      I'm not sure what we are playing at with it but I imagine from his view he's just keeping his options open.

By all reports he spoke to numerous clubs earlier in the  year but was more 'sold' by us, now for me looking at Chelsea, they could do with a cb looking  at who they played there at the weekend. Arsenal are sh*te there, City could do with one..
      So you have to be the question why haven't any of those bid? Forget us but there's been no bid from any of those top clubs.
      Does that suggest that he really does want is still? They dont see the point?

I'm genuinely not sure but take out our f**k ups, I can't see why they won't bid when it's known by trusted reporters that he spoke to at least those three clubs as well as us?

He will defiantly move somewhere by August 31.. I think he still hopes it's us

I agree, there must be a reason why no one else is bidding, the top clubs and agents talk among themselves so they must know what the state of play is. I still think he'll be a Liverpool player before deadline day.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2343: Aug 22, 2017 10:08:09 am
      I agree, there must be a reason why no one else is bidding, the top clubs and agents talk among themselves so they must know what the state of play is. I still think he'll be a Liverpool player before deadline day.

I hope so. I can't say I'm that confident but I hope so.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2344: Aug 22, 2017 10:12:16 am
      Must have some thing on the Chavs too?

Chelsea will only bid for Van Dijk if they get the go-ahead from Saints, who have insisted the centre-back is not for sale. (Telegraph)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2345: Aug 22, 2017 10:31:45 am
      Must have some thing on the Chavs too?

Chelsea will only bid for Van Dijk if they get the go-ahead from Saints, who have insisted the centre-back is not for sale. (Telegraph)
      Aye, someone suggested that earlier.

Its weird how different people see things differently Blud. I read that as "no point wasting time on a player who Club says ain't for sale" and nothing more.

A bit like we are asking Barca to do and RBL are asking of us, I suppose.

And that's coming from me... someone dripping in tin-foil hats apparently. 😄😄

Then again: maybe only the 'Freinds of FSG' get to award the hat and only then if FSG are part of the 'conspiracy' story. 🤔 😄

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2017 10:35:47 am by bad boy bubby »

Quick Reply