Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260842 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #23: Apr 14, 2017 03:59:47 pm
      It really doesn't matter what he's done, he's not welcome and he's a goner. The fact he's causing division here is enough for me.

The only matter of importance is what we get for him and it's added to our summer spending.

You're right. It certainly has divided opinion on here and I'm guessing that on the quiet in the squad as well. Division clearly isn't needed for the good of the team. Let's get it sorted ASAP one way or another...

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #24: Apr 14, 2017 04:24:07 pm
      this smells of the Lovren scenario

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #25: Apr 14, 2017 04:26:15 pm
      I'm not suggesting Van Dijk would be a huge mistake, but...

My worry over this and other potential signings that are being mooted is that the players tend to be either those who haven't really set the world on fire elsewhere despite obvious talent (Ox), or have had ONE really good season and been picked out regularly on TV by the pundits (Van Dijk).  The same could be said about other players we've signed / been linked with in the recent past.

I'd rather our radar was firmly fixed on those players about whom you can use the old adage:

'Form is temporary.  Class is permanent.'
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #26: Apr 14, 2017 05:21:56 pm
      And yet we know enough about it for Sakho to have broken squad rules on a number of occasions.

Unless you're insinuating that Klopp isn't telling the truth?

Not the first time either FMS

Sakho made his debut for the French side when he was just 17, and was captain by 21. However, according to Johnson, his star waned due to a combination of disciplinary issues, strained relationships with coaches and problems with diet, Sakho went from being indispensable to fourth-choice central defender, before departing.

According to Johnson:

"...despite those traits making Sakho a potential world-class defender, the Frenchman has some character flaws that were eventually too severe to overcome in Paris.

"His attitude, a lack of discipline including poor dieting habits and fractious relationships with certain members of staff, particularly in the early days, put his future at the club in jeopardy a long time ago. Many of his coaches were unhappy with his unprofessional demeanour, peaking with a nasty altercation with a journalist regarding his social habits, and PSG actually almost got rid of him as a teenager. However, at that time Sakho focused enough on his football to stay, although he arguably never embraced being a true professional."

"Sakho also had to deal with criticism from within the hierarchy; sporting director Leonardo remarking that he was "a bit overweight" when asked why he wasn't featuring in the first team towards the end of the 2011-12 season. Then PSG managed to snare Brazil captain Thiago Silva from AC Milan at high cost, meaning there was realistically only one place in the side that he could now expect to occupy."

Sakho maintained his cult status amongst fans, but new arrivals, coupled with coaches appearing to run out of patience, ultimately led to Sakho's departure as, according to Johnson, the player failed to "grow up."

"He has not regressed, but he has also not evolved into the player that so many predicted that he would become two years ago. That is largely down to his loveable, but at times debilitating immaturity.

"In essence, he needs to grow up. The move to Liverpool could be perfect for that, and if he does then the Reds have some genuine leadership material on their hands."

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: Apr 14, 2017 05:47:06 pm
      I'm not suggesting Van Dijk would be a huge mistake, but...

My worry over this and other potential signings that are being mooted is that the players tend to be either those who haven't really set the world on fire elsewhere despite obvious talent (Ox), or have had ONE really good season and been picked out regularly on TV by the pundits (Van Dijk).  The same could be said about other players we've signed / been linked with in the recent past.

I'd rather our radar was firmly fixed on those players about whom you can use the old adage:

'Form is temporary.  Class is permanent.'

Very well said. Reminds me that I saw two well-taken goals last night on the Europa League highlights, by Iago Aspas of Celta Vigo and Ryan Babbel of Besiktas. Klopp should sign them based on those highlights.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Apr 14, 2017 06:21:10 pm
      So are Michael Beales quotes are to be ignored then? In that Klopp hasn't forgiven Sakho for missing Europa league final? There are always two sides to a story...

Just because he behaved for a couple of months for Beale doesn't take away what he did under Rodgers & Klopp.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #29: Apr 15, 2017 09:52:02 am
      Apparently Van Dijk is top of our wanted list with a £50m price tag.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-put-50m-van-dijk-top-of-wanted-list-clg00sfx5
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: Apr 15, 2017 02:17:11 pm
      £50m! :lmao:
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #31: Apr 15, 2017 02:22:42 pm
      20m plus Sakho would be good.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #32: Apr 15, 2017 02:27:10 pm
      Isn't he currently injured?

One thing I don't want is anymore injury plagued players. We need guys that play every week.

Availability is the best ability sometimes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #33: Apr 15, 2017 02:42:38 pm
      Isn't he currently injured?

One thing I don't want is anymore injury plagued players. We need guys that play every week.

Availability is the best ability sometimes.

He's not injury plagued though.

He missed 7 games for Groningen because of an appendectomy, he missed 1 game for Celtic through injury so this makes it the first season in his career where he's missed a big chunk of games because of an actual injury.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #34: Apr 15, 2017 05:10:48 pm
      If you were Van Dijk and had no preferred premier League team (you supported no team in particular) and had the chance to sign for Chelsea, Man City Both have which has won the Premier league in the last 4 years, both of which are regulars in the CL (City five times in the last five years and Chelsea 13 times in the last 16 years), both of which will pay you massive wages; or Liverpool which have not won the title in 25 years ago, have been in the CL eight times in 16 years and struggle to do so, and would pay a little above average wage Who would you sign for...? I'll give you a clue, It's not Liverpool
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #35: Apr 15, 2017 07:34:56 pm
      If you were Van Dijk and had no preferred premier League team (you supported no team in particular) and had the chance to sign for Chelsea, Man City Both have which has won the Premier league in the last 4 years, both of which are regulars in the CL (City five times in the last five years and Chelsea 13 times in the last 16 years), both of which will pay you massive wages; or Liverpool which have not won the title in 25 years ago, have been in the CL eight times in 16 years and struggle to do so, and would pay a little above average wage Who would you sign for...? I'll give you a clue, It's not Liverpool

F**k me, you're a real bundle of optimism!!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36: Apr 15, 2017 09:06:56 pm
      F**k me, you're a real bundle of optimism!!
      No... just a realist
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #37: Apr 15, 2017 11:57:19 pm
      He would most likely be an immediate starter, but it's not like he's the only CB that could help out team. 50m seems ridiculous to me but it's not my money.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #38: Apr 16, 2017 12:08:47 am
      We give them sakho plus £10m. That would do me.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #39: Apr 16, 2017 08:21:04 am

Lallana, Firmino, and Clyne all choose us over Utd, Milner could've stayed at City and Mane was happy to come to us. I don't think he would point blank turn us down, but if if came to a bidding war then we'd be screwed.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #40: Apr 16, 2017 08:23:30 am
      So according to the poll there are people that actually think we would go head to head with another team to sign him! Where have you all been for the last 7 years? FSG don't do bidding wars ffs.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Apr 16, 2017 08:55:29 am
      So according to the poll there are people that actually think we would go head to head with another team to sign him! Where have you all been for the last 7 years? FSG don't do bidding wars ffs.

I voted purely based on hope rather than expectation :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Apr 16, 2017 09:24:45 am

Out of interest how many bidding wars have we actually lost recently where we competed with another team for a signature. I can only really think of Sanchez and Arsenal. As a player I would think that playing for Liverpool and working under Klopp in fornt of an adoring world famous fan support must be a very attractive option, I would also relish the challenge of bringing success back to a sleeping giant.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #43: Apr 16, 2017 09:33:37 am

FSG don't do bidding wars and the £50m price tag is a white flag job.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #44: Apr 16, 2017 10:01:19 am
      Out of interest how many bidding wars have we actually lost recently where we competed with another team for a signature. I can only really think of Sanchez and Arsenal. As a player I would think that playing for Liverpool and working under Klopp in fornt of an adoring world famous fan support must be a very attractive option, I would also relish the challenge of bringing success back to a sleeping giant.

I can't remember a single player we bought after a bidding war. Some players reportedly choose us over other teams, but I don't remember is out bidding anyone.
      I do believe we could get him, but we'd need to tie it up quickly, Southampton might drag it out though to get the best price.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #45: Apr 16, 2017 10:08:33 am
      I voted purely based on hope rather than expectation :D

I think a better question would've been, "Are we interested in signing him for the right price?".
      But the whole going head to head thing doesn't stand up for me. But Foote what its worth I would spend what it takes, because plugging u are leaking defence could be the difference between a title challenge or not.

Quick Reply