Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260867 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #46: Apr 16, 2017 10:38:55 am
      I think a better question would've been, "Are we interested in signing him for the right price?".
      But the whole going head to head thing doesn't stand up for me. But Foote what its worth I would spend what it takes, because plugging u are leaking defence could be the difference between a title challenge or not.

I'd imagine we'd sign anybody from a huge group of players if they were available for the right price.

I think if he was the final piece of the jigsaw for our defence then I'd spend whatever it took but he'd be far from the final piece. We'd still need a top keeper and a left back.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #47: Apr 16, 2017 10:42:11 am
      I'd imagine we'd sign anybody from a huge group of players if they were available for the right price.

I think if he was the final piece of the jigsaw for our defence then I'd spend whatever it took but he'd be far from the final piece. We'd still need a top keeper and a left back.

I agree, but a commanding CB would make a huge difference.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #48: Apr 16, 2017 11:00:29 am
      Lallana, Firmino, and Clyne all choose us over Utd, Milner could've stayed at City and Mane was happy to come to us. I don't think he would point blank turn us down, but if if came to a bidding war then we'd be screwed.
      People always think that the club who offers the most money gets the player... A club looks for a certain amount for the player (What they think he is worth).... If two club  bid that amount let's say £40m the parent club then gives the other two club permission to speak to the player... One Club may bid more that the other (Maybe hoping the other may withdraw from the process, or to show the player that they value him more than the other club) but it still does not mean the one bidding the most money gets the player... example in question; Kaka ( Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite) then playing for AC Milan was a subject of a transfer battle between Chelsea and Real Madrid. It was reported on Sky Sports News that Chelsea had offer AC Milan £72.3m for Kaka while Real had only offered £56.8m...Both bids had been excepted by AC and the clubs were allowed to talk to the player... Kaka chose to sign for Real, the rest is history... Could have been a few reason why he chose Real,The weather, life style, or maybe the personal term Real offered him was better... point being the money offered just allows you to speak to the play and maybe strokes his ego saying how much you value him...

Has for Lallana, Firmino and Clyne did we really have that much competition to sign them...? Milner was not getting the game time with City and there was a world cup coming up
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #49: Apr 16, 2017 11:16:54 am
      I agree, but a commanding CB would make a huge difference.

No doubt mate.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #50: Apr 16, 2017 11:32:52 am
      Out of interest how many bidding wars have we actually lost recently where we competed with another team for a signature. I can only really think of Sanchez and Arsenal. As a player I would think that playing for Liverpool and working under Klopp in fornt of an adoring world famous fan support must be a very attractive option, I would also relish the challenge of bringing success back to a sleeping giant.
      That maybe true for us;The supporters, for the players with their agents and manager banging away in their heads saying things like " You only have a short time to be successful in this game.Win thorphies, make your money, set yourself up for life after football,some 8-10 years before you are on the decline... You maybe a boyhood Liverpool supporter but Man Utd will guarantee you that success and money to set you up for the rest of your life" ...It must be extremely hard for our young player, watching players like Gerrard; probable the must loved and respected Liverpool player of all time, who gave his heart and soul to the club he loved and got so very little in the way of success back, could have won a lot more at Chelsea and been paid better for it...If I was a Agents looking for my cut of any  big transfer I would be using the Steven Gerrard decision as a precautionary tale and point out;  Was not Wayne Rooney a boyhood Everton fan?...

What I am saying is that it makes it hard for a club to sign a player when you also have the players Agent work in his best interest looking to increase his cut, and often against the players interest,As in the case of Emmanuel Adebayor and his agents (His Borthers) and extra hard when the club is trying to do things on the cheap
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #51: Apr 16, 2017 12:16:29 pm
      I can't remember a single player we bought after a bidding war. Some players reportedly choose us over other teams, but I don't remember is out bidding anyone.
      I do believe we could get him, but we'd need to tie it up quickly, Southampton might drag it out though to get the best price.

I think Sahin chose us, when it looked like he was going to Arsenal.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #52: Apr 17, 2017 10:33:55 pm
      We'll match anyones bid, and I mean absolutely anyones no matter what it is, then offer him 50K a week. Then it'll be "we couldn't get it over the line/his wife preferred Manchester or London or whetever it is. We tried our best though".

This is where you heard it first.

Funny theres now talk about Sanchez wanting a move up 't grimy North  to City .
      Thats why he turned us down ...... for the lights of the smoke wasn't it Mick?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #53: Apr 17, 2017 10:56:56 pm
      Funny theres now talk about Sanchez wanting a move up 't grimy North  to City .

It was because his Mrs wanted the London life, the same Mrs that parted ways with him soon after.

Perhaps now his new Mrs wants away from the London life :D

I've no idea but if we were to pay through the nose for anyone then Sanchez would be near the top of my list. He's not Suarez but he's about the nearest none lunatic version we could find.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Apr 17, 2017 11:21:48 pm
      It was because his Mrs wanted the London life, the same Mrs that parted ways with him soon after.

Perhaps now his new Mrs wants away from the London life :D

I've no idea but if we were to pay through the nose for anyone then Sanchez would be near the top of my list. He's not Suarez but he's about the nearest none lunatic version we could find.

I laughed to myself at the bit in bold :D.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #55: Apr 17, 2017 11:27:23 pm
      He's not Suarez but he's about the nearest none lunatic version we could find.
        Quote and Reply

Even though Luis is a nutter to me he was always came off as a nice fellow IRL that was just a bit off when he set foot on a football pitch (genius is a fine line with madness  etc..)  Sanchez comes off to me like talented pr**k in the Ronaldo mold without the same skills.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #56: Apr 18, 2017 12:06:50 am
      Paul Joyce so, maybe the club has leaked to him because we're interested or they just want it to look like we are.

Poll added for a laugh.

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/852666460929261568

Sakho is worth 50 Million, so...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #57: Apr 18, 2017 12:12:11 am
      I laughed to myself at the bit in bold :D.

:D

Even though Luis is a nutter to me he was always came off as a nice fellow IRL that was just a bit off when he set foot on a football pitch (genius is a fine line with madness  etc..)  Sanchez comes off to me like talented pr**k in the Ronaldo mold without the same skills.

Yeah I totally agree off the pitch Luis seems a gentle soul to be fair to him, gets all that agression off while on it I suppose. Never thought of Sanchez in the Ronaldo mould to be honest, to me he's much more a team player than CR7wat but I could be wrong on that.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #58: Apr 18, 2017 09:08:47 am
      That was the excuse... we do like an excuse come transfer time.

Your cut out and keep guide:
      ----------------------------------------------------
      * We don't have the money. 😂
      * You can't attract top players without CL football. 😕
      * We haven't had CL football for long enough. 😕
      * His agent was only looking for a new contract and was using us. 😊
      * The manager [previous manager obviously] hadn't the clout to attract him.😕
      * Ian Ayre. No, wait... hmm.😄
      * He wanted to go to that London for the shopping. 😂
      * I never rated him anyhow and _ _ _ _ _ was a better signing anyway.😞
      * He was too greedy - we only want players who want to be here anyhow... na, na, na, na, na, so there. 😝
      ----------------------------------------------------------

Copy n paste til your heart is content. 😎

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017 09:12:49 am by bad boy bubby »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #59: Apr 19, 2017 11:02:11 pm
      What about Van Dyke and Sahko as the first choice centre backs?

Just thinking aloud
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #60: Apr 19, 2017 11:14:37 pm

Just thinking aloud

Prefer Van Dijk and Matip.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #61: Apr 20, 2017 12:06:28 am

Just thinking aloud

How about Lovren and Matip as backup to Van Dyke and someone else? We need two quality Center backs, not one, because our current two are both injury prone. As for Sakho, his time is at an end, people need to accept that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Apr 20, 2017 11:30:34 am

Just thinking aloud

Dick Van Dyke?
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #63: Apr 20, 2017 12:35:29 pm

Just thinking aloud

It is time everybody accepts that Sakho has burned his bridge with Klopp - end of. What does Sakho's name keep coming up. He WILL be sold. There is no way a player can stay after so many misdemeanors (however small they may be). IMHO of course.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Apr 20, 2017 12:37:54 pm
      It is time everybody accepts that Sakho has burned his bridge with Klopp - end of. What does Sakho's name keep coming up. He WILL be sold. There is no way a player can stay after so many misdemeanors (however small they may be). IMHO of course.

I was up for ousting you as the manager himself until the last bit :D.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #65: Apr 25, 2017 04:54:33 pm
      25 years old
      12 caps for a shocking dutch team
      league win with celtic
      6 unimpressive matches in the champions league

and that's your lot

50mill? laughable. Hes not in the top tier defenders in the league, let alone europe
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #66: Apr 25, 2017 05:17:46 pm
      25 years old
      12 caps for a shocking dutch team
      league win with celtic
      6 unimpressive matches in the champions league

and that's your lot

50mill? laughable. Hes not in the top tier defenders in the league, let alone europe

When the "hype train" kicks in with the carefully targeting of fans who are aware of defence frailties, it truly is no joke..
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #67: Apr 25, 2017 06:38:50 pm
      According to rumours, we're now interested in Burnleys Michael Keane, which suggests to me that Liverpool in all likelihood aren't prepared to pay the alleged £50m Southampton want for him and he'll more than likely go one of the other interested clubs...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #68: Apr 25, 2017 08:26:01 pm
      Hes not in the top tier defenders in the league

Yes he is

Quick Reply