Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260914 times
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #92: Apr 27, 2017 02:12:37 am

Not really, I think Toby Alderweireld has been very solid.

but i also think that no matter who we get, if they are not practising and being taught how to defend as a unit then we will struggle.

it seems as if everyone is looking for a big strong vocal leader will come in....but as far as i can see we have brought what at the time that was meant to be in Lovren and Sakho and that has not worked out as a leader or player.

spending 50 (or a hell of a lot) on someone in the hope that they can step up is a massive error in my opinion.

I think that even the likes of Godin would be alot cheaper and is better

there are so many who have more experience at a higher level than him.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #93: Apr 27, 2017 07:47:47 am
      Not really, I think Toby Alderweireld has been very solid.

but i also think that no matter who we get, if they are not practising and being taught how to defend as a unit then we will struggle.

it seems as if everyone is looking for a big strong vocal leader will come in....but as far as i can see we have brought what at the time that was meant to be in Lovren and Sakho and that has not worked out as a leader or player.

spending 50 (or a hell of a lot) on someone in the hope that they can step up is a massive error in my opinion.

I think that even the likes of Godin would be alot cheaper and is better

there are so many who have more experience at a higher level than him.

Personally I think VVD would be good and if Klopp wants him that's good enough for me but yeah I think apart from the individual errors of our CB's there is also a systemic issue with our defence.

Playing a midfielder as LB both fullbacks too high up the pitch, midfielders too slow to realise the danger and cut it at source and the lack of a top drawer DM to provide protection.

But I think we will always concede under Klopp as he is such an attacking coach, so we just have to put up with a few extra goals conceded, as long as we cut out the play ground defending!

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017 07:56:59 am by HScRed1 »
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #94: Apr 27, 2017 09:34:27 am
      Personally I think VVD would be good and if Klopp wants him that's good enough for me but yeah I think apart from the individual errors of our CB's there is also a systemic issue with our defence.

Playing a midfielder as LB both fullbacks too high up the pitch, midfielders too slow to realise the danger and cut it at source and the lack of a top drawer DM to provide protection.

But I think we will always concede under Klopp as he is such an attacking coach, so we just have to put up with a few extra goals conceded, as long as we cut out the play ground defending!

i will try and make this my last post about VVD as it is not a witch hunt against him, but it is clear that he has not done anywhere enough to justify such a reported high fee, is clearly a massive punt (as were hoping that he can come in a raise his game etc) and for me is a sign that we will overpay for anyone who is happy to consider coming here - i would be pumped if we was allegedly going so hard for someone with the quality to clearly improve us like a Sanchez.

our defensive problems have been well documented for years now, yet we have spent more than most teams on defenders over the years -
      Dossena - 7 mill
      Glen Johnson - 18 mill
      Sakho - 18 mill
      Coates - 7 mill
      LLori - 7 mill
      Moreno - 12 mill
      Lovren - 20 mill
      Klavan 4.5 mill
      Clyne - 12 mill

we over paid for most of them defenders - 18 for Sakho who was here to be our Marquee signing - a player who was in the last year of his contract and a sub for PSG, 20 mill for Lovren who had 1 half decent season in the prem and wanted to leave them, LLori - a kid who had zero chance of playing for us from the start, Moreno - someone who cant defend full stop, Johnson - paid 18 mill to a team who were potless and owed us money  :lmao:

we also seem to fairly regualrly buy the same type of player - old fossil who lacks mobility and is here to 'do a job' but that never works out....this years version is Klavan, previous versions include Toure & Kyriagos :lmao:

None of the players are my mates and they are all ultimately here to do a job - so no matter how nice they come across on and off the field (ie Toure and Lucas), if theyre not good enough to get us to where were aiming for (i.e winning the prem) then we have to go and get staff that are able to do this.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #95: Apr 27, 2017 11:21:55 am
      what can people expect from someone who has played 2 seasons in the prem at a team who don't challenge for much and have no where near as much pressure or expectancy as we do

it stinks of Lovren, Sakho etc

and the people who are saying to pay 50 mill should have there heads examined

It's not a question of us thinking we should pay 50 million, it's about facing the reality of the current market. I don't think he's worth 50 mill and I doubt you'll find anyone on here who does, but then no player is worth that much money but when Ibe goes for £15 mill you know the market has gone bonkers, so £50 mill sounds about right. He may not be the best Center Back in the world but I think he's a bit more than three times better than Ibe was ;)
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #96: Apr 27, 2017 02:28:10 pm

The new Sami Hyypia would do for me. But that means we'll have to find him.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #97: Apr 27, 2017 05:57:42 pm
      It's not a question of us thinking we should pay 50 million, it's about facing the reality of the current market. I don't think he's worth 50 mill and I doubt you'll find anyone on here who does, but then no player is worth that much money but when Ibe goes for £15 mill you know the market has gone bonkers, so £50 mill sounds about right. He may not be the best Center Back in the world but I think he's a bit more than three times better than Ibe was ;)

it is not the reality of the current market, he is a defender who is hardly a regular international, lack of champions league experience

Hummels, Umtiti, Mustafi,Bailly,Luiz all went for around £30

Stones went for £50 - but he was well over priced, has turned out to be a laughable signing and was brought by a team with much deeper pockets than us and who also had more options at the back so that he didnt need to go in and be the saviour.

If your suggesting that £50 mill is a good or fair price in todays market for someone of his stock then how many other £50 mill plus players will be buy at this new 'going rate'

Sakho will go for less than half that, Sakho has on paper as much ability and much more experience etc.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #98: Apr 27, 2017 06:13:24 pm
      Sturridge is as good as gone, hypothetically any monies from his sale could be thrown in to make up an extortionate fee for VVD.

Remember the Carroll fiasco when Comolli (FSG appointment) signed him for a ridiculous fee? The upshot was he was a bag of sh*te for us resulting in the owners padlocking the purse strings.

Signing VVD at an outrageous/questionable fee could provide the owners with another lock the purse scenario, putting paid to any hint of 'backing the manager'.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017 06:27:03 pm by stuey »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #99: Apr 28, 2017 03:17:32 pm
      Are you really dead excited about this lad? Football had officially and indisputably went mad if we of all teams pay £50M for this boy and that is speaking as someone living in Scotland who had seen him up close

Just throwing it out as an example. I'm not really bothered (though I'd like to see our defence strengthened) but we could be linked with the best and we'd all know it's just pathetic PR from those leeches at FSG.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #100: Apr 28, 2017 03:48:01 pm
      Oh yeah, further to an earlier comment - F**k Southampton as well.

ps The poll above indicates a majority think it's more JWH&Co horseshit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #101: Apr 28, 2017 05:46:27 pm
      Sturridge is as good as gone, hypothetically any monies from his sale could be thrown in to make up an extortionate fee for VVD.

Remember the Carroll fiasco when Comolli (FSG appointment) signed him for a ridiculous fee? The upshot was he was a bag of sh*te for us resulting in the owners padlocking the purse strings.

Signing VVD at an outrageous/questionable fee could provide the owners with another lock the purse scenario, putting paid to any hint of 'backing the manager'.

Still trying to re-write history I see.

KK said to Comolli "Can we get him? Get him".
      His decision, as he stated many times in interviews.

So basically, you're trying to find another angle to pursue your agenda, but haven't got the balls to say "hey, maybe KK fu**ed up by wanting this guy so much" so your resort to your usual lies..
      Comolli fu**ed up a few times, but equally, so did KK in the Carroll saga.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #102: Apr 28, 2017 06:05:20 pm
      what can people expect from someone who has played 2 seasons in the prem at a team who don't challenge for much and have no where near as much pressure or expectancy as we do

it stinks of Lovren, Sakho etc

and the people who are saying to pay 50 mill should have there heads examined

Same things were said of Mane and the 36odd million. Look how that turned out.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #103: May 03, 2017 12:57:30 pm
      According to some "journos", his heart is set on joining Chelsea that would move Azpelicueta to right wing back. If thats the case, going by the previous rumors, I wouldnt mind if we put in a bid for Jonathan Tah or José Giménez.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #104: May 03, 2017 01:05:52 pm
      According to some "journos", his heart is set on joining Chelsea that would move Azpelicueta to right wing back. If thats the case, going by the previous rumors, I wouldnt mind if we put in a bid for Jonathan Tah or José Giménez.

Funny because I read this morning that he's already talked to Klopp and will join us if we make CL.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #105: May 03, 2017 01:13:10 pm

Funny because I read this morning that he's already talked to Klopp and will join us if we make CL.

Don't believe everything you read!! We'll soon know if he's ours or not, when he's getting pictured leaning on stuff around Melwood.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #106: May 03, 2017 01:17:09 pm
      Seen some stuff floating around twitter today suggesting if we get top 4 he's ours dependant on meeting agreement with Southampton (basically paying whatever the top bid is).

Of course that should be taken with the largest pile of salt you've ever seen.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #107: May 03, 2017 01:23:57 pm

Link please?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #108: May 03, 2017 01:47:37 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #109: May 03, 2017 01:50:33 pm

Being as it is that they're our feeder club and all; maybe we get first dibs? 😁
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #110: May 03, 2017 01:56:45 pm
      I like him as a player but £50m for a centre back is crazy considering how we prefer not to defend at all, or so it seems. We seem to always be late to the party, he cost Southampton £10m and Celtic even less. It's about time we got these players before we had to pay through the roof a few years later.

Paying £50m for him would suit teams like Chelsea & Spurs because they know how to use him, we'd have no clue.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #111: May 03, 2017 02:20:30 pm
      I like him as a player but £50m for a centre back is crazy considering how we prefer not to defend at all, or so it seems. We seem to always be late to the party, he cost Southampton £10m and Celtic even less. It's about time we got these players before we had to pay through the roof a few years later.

Paying £50m for him would suit teams like Chelsea & Spurs because they know how to use him, we'd have no clue.

Wow. That's a ringing endorsement of the manager.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #112: May 03, 2017 02:46:46 pm
      Southampton, 1 of 2 teams in the Premier League with a worse record than us at set pieces. He'll slot right in.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #113: May 03, 2017 02:54:36 pm

Not sure abut that mate just look at it this way we don't concede much when our two best CB's play and in fact more goals have been conceded per game when it has included Klavan/Lucas, so partner your best CB (Matip) with one just as good and we go some way towards sorting out the 40+ goals we concede every season.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #114: May 03, 2017 02:54:53 pm

Thats both funny and painful at the same time  :-\

Quick Reply