Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263080 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #207: May 26, 2017 02:28:35 pm
      What's funnier is the fact that you completely miss the point. Either we (or the owners more specifically) properly compete in terms of finances, or we accept that CERTAIN players aren't gettable. It's simple really, there's no point in wasting time on ungettable targets.

Some fans would get all fired up if we enquired about Lionel Messi, but some of us woild prefer to keep ut real. Van Djyk for us is unrealistic at the moment, hardly controversial.

Standard reaction from you.

Of course he's gettable, all the reports so far has been that despite a number of teams being interested, we have never been ruled out. Unless of course you can read minds and know where Van Dijk has already decided to go if he is to leave? Which, I highly doubt you can.

The transfer window isn't even open yet, anything can happen, pointless ruling stuff in or out because then you just look daft if it does end up happening. For all we know he could be a massive fan of Klopp and really want to work with him.

Although bringing Messi into it makes you look a bit daft anyway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #208: May 26, 2017 02:36:07 pm
      I absolutely thing he is gettable and if Jürgen wants him then I see no reason that we shouldn't be able to get it across the line assuming he doesn't have some other reason he  doesn't want to play for us. This is precisely the reason we brought Jürgen here, to get us competing with the big boys and to be able to attract big name talent. If we can't attract big name talent with him, or if FSG won't stump up  the cash, then we might as well be jerking off.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,420 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #209: May 26, 2017 02:37:35 pm
      Would go for davinson sanchez of ajax anyway half the price and potential to be much better, before people mention the dutch league, well the old ajax cb combo of alderweireld and vertonghen haven't done too bad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #210: May 26, 2017 02:40:02 pm
      Sky sports news "reporting" that Utd have now identified VVD as one of three potential replacements. Does anyone else feel this is sliding out of our control??

Exactly one of three players they're looking at, as well as Keane and some other name I've forgot. Still say Utd will end up buying Keane. Getting VVD will depend on whether we're prepared to splash the cash! Favourite for his signature is still probably Chelsea.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #211: May 26, 2017 03:17:31 pm
      I anticipate that only the top tier players (Griezmann, etc) or those at their peak would consider moves based on the amount money being offered...while we need to be smart and quick in concluding the deals with those targets identified as high potential, before our rivals snap them up.
      I mean look how well Levy has done at Spurs and they dont pay huge wages either. JK will have to weave some magic this transfer window coz everybody will have money to spend in the level/calibre of player just below the top tier.

It will be interesting to see just how the clubs are going to valuate their players...we could be in for a very inflated transfer window.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #212: May 26, 2017 04:04:04 pm
      Standard reaction from you.

Of course he's gettable, all the reports so far has been that despite a number of teams being interested, we have never been ruled out. Unless of course you can read minds and know where Van Dijk has already decided to go if he is to leave? Which, I highly doubt you can.

The transfer window isn't even open yet, anything can happen, pointless ruling stuff in or out because then you just look daft if it does end up happening. For all we know he could be a massive fan of Klopp and really want to work with him.

Although bringing Messi into it makes you look a bit daft anyway.

Of course he's "gettable" as long as other teams are merely "interested" (I do wonder sometimes about you and whether you deliberately miss the point).

If however their "interest" becomes concrete and they start to talk wages, then unless we radically alter what we have been prepared to do in the past, he becomes "ungettable".

Quite why you seem so keen to make this statement controversial is a mystery to me, but there it is. It is merely stating the blindingly obvious, I put the Lionel Messi reference in to try and make it even more so.

Here's another example for context. Arsenal have reportedly offered Alexis Sanchez 270K per week. Our best paid player is on 150K per week. Now Arsenal aren't either of the Manchester clubs, and nor are they Chelsea, all three spend bigger. If though you want to believe we could win a scrap for VVD's signature with any of those (if their "interest" becomes concrete), under these owners, with our current wage structure, then I'm happy for you  :lmao:.

If we get him, they didn't want him. It's that simple.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017 04:15:49 pm by bigmick »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,420 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #213: May 26, 2017 04:17:34 pm
      Going to be a long old summer
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,694 posts | 892 
      Reply #214: May 26, 2017 04:32:48 pm
      For some reason I haven't been itchy in silly season since Jürgen became the boss.
      I know the committee is still in the place but I expect Jürgen to handle them.

I know all of his signings won't be a hit but it looks like he knows football, knows his style, what he wants to do and how. He knows what kind of players he want to get there.

So I'm gonna lay back and enjoy the show.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #215: May 26, 2017 07:15:47 pm
      For some reason I haven't been itchy in silly season since Jürgen became the boss.
      I know the committee is still in the place but I expect Jürgen to handle them.

I know all of his signings won't be a hit but it looks like he knows football, knows his style, what he wants to do and how. He knows what kind of players he want to get there.

This all day long.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #216: May 26, 2017 07:34:38 pm

I tried to do that in January...didn't work too well for me.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #217: May 27, 2017 10:05:08 am
      I thought we had the 1st dibs for players from Liverpool B (Southampton for those who do not know who Liverpool B are).

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk Scum, Shitty and Chavs.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #218: May 27, 2017 08:07:39 pm
      Signed for Saints from Celtic for 11mill. Just be done with it and sign their scouts!
      Don't see enough of Virgil to know whether he's worth 50mill. Seems like a lot - could we get better for same money?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #219: May 28, 2017 11:52:44 am
      Is our Southampton loyalty card still valid? Members have it's privileges.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #220: May 28, 2017 12:51:08 pm
      Is our Southampton loyalty card still valid? Members have it's privileges.

It's a bit like those ones you get at all the coffee shops nowadays... If we buy 10 players we get the next one free. Think we're almost halfway there by now surely..
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #221: May 28, 2017 01:01:10 pm
      It's a bit like those ones you get at all the coffee shops nowadays... If we buy 10 players we get the next one free. Think we're almost halfway there by now surely..

10? wtf, they increased it? I remember it being 5 during my Uni days!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,324 posts | 1524 
      Reply #222: May 30, 2017 02:06:14 pm
      Ain't gonna happen for us 😟
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #223: May 30, 2017 11:22:11 pm
      Twitter blowing up that a deal has been agreed.

£200k a week... says twitter.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #224: May 30, 2017 11:29:18 pm

Yeah I doubt a CB is going to be on 200k/week.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #225: May 30, 2017 11:30:56 pm
      Yeah I doubt a CB is going to be on 200k/week.

With the market the way it is now, I really wouldn't be surprised. Look at how the average player, for example Begovic, he's just fetched a £15mill fee and will be on christ knows how much. Deeney will go for £30mill+ and be on mega money etc.

Crazy, that's what it is, gets worse every year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #226: May 30, 2017 11:31:54 pm
      With the market the way it is now, I really wouldn't be surprised. Look at how the average player, for example Begovic, he's just fetched a £15mill fee and will be on christ knows how much.

Yep.

I wouldn't be surprised if that'd what Can Dijk ends up getting but would be amazed if its us paying him that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #227: May 30, 2017 11:33:38 pm

Who's reporting that mate? Only one I can see on mine is that indykaila guy and he's about as reliable as my dog at knowing about football.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #228: May 30, 2017 11:36:00 pm
      With the market the way it is now, I really wouldn't be surprised. Look at how the average player, for example Begovic, he's just fetched a £15mill fee and will be on christ knows how much. Deeney will go for £30mill+ and be on mega money etc.

If that ends up being true then there are probably 4-5 members of the squad that are going to want 250-300k/week or they put in xfer requests.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #229: May 30, 2017 11:36:10 pm
      Who's reporting that mate? Only one I can see on mine is that indykaila guy and he's about as reliable as my dog at knowing about football.

It's probably all bollox mate.

If there's any truth in it we'll find out tomorrow.

Quick Reply