Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 273486 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #460: Jun 05, 2017 05:25:13 pm
      Although the figures touted are huge but just looking at his strengths he is the perfect CB for us, with our CB's often left exposed you need defenders who are good in 1v1 duels, have pace against the counter and it obviously helps being decent in the air as the rest of our team are midgets against defending set pieces.

There is no downside to this signing and especially so as the accountants on here don't have to actually spend a penny of their own money!

The figures are huge but here's the thing. We've been complaining for years about the lack of ambition shown by FSG, bemoaned our situation as other clubs have made statements of intent and flexed their financial muscles to the maximum of their ability whilst we've looked like Sid Little on a diet, and now when finally FSG pull their finger out and start flexing our muscles, people are complining we're overpaying. Some people (not you) are never happy.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #461: Jun 05, 2017 05:25:52 pm
      One poster on the saintsweb forum: "Think I might send my season ticket back and get one at Anfield instead."

:D

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #462: Jun 05, 2017 05:25:53 pm
      He's ours!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #463: Jun 05, 2017 05:26:55 pm
      Seems to be moving quickly. Is that even possible?

I certainly hope so as it shows great intent and is, from profile of player, to adding strenght in depth everything I have been asking for, consistently now, over the past 5 years. 🤞
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #464: Jun 05, 2017 05:28:51 pm
      :lmao:

Thing is though mate, as we all know, with the amount of games we have next year he'll still get plenty. The important thing is improving both first team and squad in exactly this fashion. Exactly how it should be done.

Yeah I agree..he'll get over it when he'll see that 100k/week in the bank:)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #465: Jun 05, 2017 05:29:38 pm
      :lmao:

Thing is though mate, as we all know, with the amount of games we have next year he'll still get plenty. The important thing is improving both first team and squad in exactly this fashion. Exactly how it should be done.

Absolutely correct.

Doesn't seem from this they are likely to be roommates in China, however.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #466: Jun 05, 2017 05:29:57 pm
      Klopp painted the same picture he offered to #Coutinho - that he could become an #LFC legend & have statues built in his honour. (Maddock)
       ;D

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #467: Jun 05, 2017 05:32:52 pm
      I'm keeping quite far from excited because I do not want to be disappointed. If we get him, then I can jump with joy but not for now!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #468: Jun 05, 2017 05:33:00 pm
      Exciting if true, but to be consistent, I haven't seen any sourcing in any of these tweets or articles. So at this point I have to take the same posture as I did with the story about us trying to change the wage package. There's a lot of smoke for sure, but you can make that with dry ice as well as fire.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #469: Jun 05, 2017 05:39:38 pm
      LFCTS‏ @LFCTS  4m4 minutes ago
       Van Dijk who has chosen Klopp over Conte & Guardiola, has effectively reduced the chase for his signature to a one-horse race. [Paul Joyce]

Amazing the pull a world class manager has.

Brilliant, Jürgen adding the gems to the first team and it fitting nicely into place, dropping Lovren down to squad status, exactly how it should be. Perfect by the boss, love it.

What also helps on top of him being a world class manager is the way he interacts with the players and how passionate he is.

I can completely understand why players would want to play for Guardiola because of his philosophy, his teams tend to win trophies and so on but he seems like a difficult person to like looking on from the outside and I think that's a huge thing for a player. For me it's partly down to him slagging off his medical staff, giving players a bollocking on the pitch after they've just put in a MOTM performance (will never forget that with Kimmich), berating players occasionally to the media etc.

Klopp is where it's at for me though and it seems like Van Dijk has seen that.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #470: Jun 05, 2017 05:41:11 pm
      Exciting if true, but to be consistent, I haven't seen any sourcing in any of these tweets or articles. So at this point I have to take the same posture as I did with the story about us trying to change the wage package. There's a lot of smoke for sure, but you can make that with dry ice as well as fire.

Haven't seen any sourcing? Not sure I follow you on this one. Pick a journalists' name and you can guarantee he's reported the news.

Klopp painted the same picture he offered to #Coutinho - that he could become an #LFC legend & have statues built in his honour. (Maddock)
       ;D

Liverpool's going to be covered in statues at this rate :D.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #471: Jun 05, 2017 05:50:12 pm

Amazing the pull a world class manager has.

Brilliant, Jürgen adding the gems to the first team and it fitting nicely into place, dropping Lovren down to squad status, exactly how it should be. Perfect by the boss, love it.

Never would have happened with Rodgers. Back when we were relying on Gerrard to make the contact with players to encourage them to sign, and that still didn't work!

Despite Guardiola showing he's not quite as good as many made out during being manager of 2 of the best teams in the world, he's still got that appeal to play for, Conte certainly has that appeal too so it goes to shows how highly Klopp is rated.
      2 years ago, if we were in a battle for a player vs City and Chelsea, it would have been a complete waste of time and effort.

Not going to hold my breath on this transfer just yet though, there's always someone who manages to cock something up where negotiations are concerned.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #472: Jun 05, 2017 05:57:50 pm
      Haven't seen any sourcing? Not sure I follow you on this one. Pick a journalists' name and you can guarantee he's reported the news.

I mean from the journos. The story about him telling Jürgen he wants to be with us...I need a "Klopp said" or a "Van Dijk said" in there. Not seeing that yet. I want it to be true as much as the rest of you.

I know the posters on here are citing media sources. It's tthe journos I don't trust (many of them).

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #473: Jun 05, 2017 05:59:06 pm
      I mean from the journos. The story about him telling Jürgen he wants to be with us...I need a "Klopp said" or a "Van Dijk said" in there. Not seeing that yet. I want it to be true as much as the rest of you.

I know the posters on here are citing media sources. It's tthe journos I don't trust (many of them).

There's going to be no direct quotes yet until anything is made official. Nothing ever works like you've described it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #474: Jun 05, 2017 05:59:36 pm

Fair point.

Also Van Dijk saying he wants to join us is still a little bit away from Southampton agreeing to sell him to us.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #475: Jun 05, 2017 06:00:09 pm
      I'd like to just leave these little gems from GOT here:

My current wish list (Of whom we'll probably sign no one from, because the universe hates me and cackles at my grief)

Butland/Leno
      Van Dijk/Keane
      Tierney
      Loftus-Cheek
      Mata/Hazard (Thorgen)
      A decent striker

Blow em out of the water, we should easily be able to compete with them. we need to make a statement of intent.

So Van Dijk to Liverpool whilst we gun in for some QPR youngster.

Nothing will be the same again lads, billionaires lads etc etc.

This little sentance in the Van Dijk to Liverpool story

'Van Dijk, who was also wanted by Everton and his former Southampton manager Ronald Koeman'.

So much for the pull of Koeman being a family friend, mentor and like a father figure etc.

Some of them are going on like we beat them to his signing. When will they realise they never had a shot? It's either us, Man City or Chelsea. All 3 are Champions League teams, all 3 have more money and all 3 are much, much better/bigger teams and clubs.

:D
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2017 06:05:31 pm by mcarz »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #476: Jun 05, 2017 06:00:29 pm
      I had forgotten he is mates with Gini....makes a transition even easier.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #477: Jun 05, 2017 06:01:20 pm

True, the other day they were saying he was nailed on for City.

There's going to be no direct quotes yet until anything is made official. Nothing ever works like you've described it.

Also true.

Just take everything with a pinch of salt.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #478: Jun 05, 2017 06:01:25 pm
      Ah f**k off was looking forwsrd to a summer of moaning and groaning . inconsiderate b***ard
      Yeah me too  :(
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #479: Jun 05, 2017 06:02:34 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #480: Jun 05, 2017 06:02:57 pm

I'm damn sure you will still find a way ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #481: Jun 05, 2017 06:08:57 pm
      Never would have happened with Rodgers. Back when we were relying on Gerrard to make the contact with players to encourage them to sign, and that still didn't work!

https://twitter.com/stu_89/status/871758823513624576
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #482: Jun 05, 2017 06:10:09 pm

Also means it's probably not going to be some £200k/week either...probably more like 120k, which I am fine with.

Quick Reply