Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263401 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1840: Aug 08, 2017 07:33:21 am
      Maybe just put in a good old fashioned behind closed doors bid? No leaking to the press that they are preparing a bid or any of that other BS that seems common practice these days.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1841: Aug 08, 2017 08:43:54 am
      If Liverpool can't tie up this deal then there is something seriously wrong
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1842: Aug 08, 2017 09:01:09 am
      Yep time to turn the screw on Southampton, maybe not them indicating that they are ready to facilitate a sale but enough to go in with a bid now VVD's intention to leave is official and done through the correct channels.

The fact we didn't follow up our interest following the apology until an official transfer request went in should be enough to appease the F.A and ensure there are no repercussions.

I just don't know if we'll wait for Southampton to indicate they are ready to sell or for another club to bid, but i've no doubt VVD will know our intentions.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1843: Aug 08, 2017 09:07:48 am
      I think if we become the type of club that is content on finishing 4th and challenging for UCL...

it doesn't matter much whether a player says the right things (like Coutinho does) or not (like you may say is the case of VVD). Eventually top talented individuals will be lured to the clubs challenging for glory at the very top.
      Without a doubt Diego; "The Arsenal In The North".

We [the Club] seem to place more importance on announcing a 'New Partner', a 'New Sponsor', a 'New' LFCTV package and a 'New 3rd Strip' than a New Player.

Arsenal's carpetbaggers paved the way and set the 'football' model we follow. Cast your mind back to how many of their top players were sold on [always to rivals] just as the team appeared to be on the cusp of something great... we [most Reds] don't want to be that team.

That said: my stance on the potential on Couts leaving has not changed (that's why I've stayed out of here) - Jürgen said he's 'Not For Sale' and I believe that.  8)

I have to. I cannot let myself believe that the big fella is no different from Brendan - a weak man who talked the talk but just couldn't walk the walk because, when push came to shove; he had no power, no say and was nothing more than the fall guy for the then real power, Edwards.  :-\

Coutinho is going nowhere just yet... in my humble, of course.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On topic: will we [the Club] renege on our promise re: VvD? A part of me, sort of, hopes not. Not because I don't like the lad but because if we find it easy to go back on our word on this [and that is widely accepted by fans, as being okay] then it becomes easier to renege on other 'promises'.  :-\
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017 09:14:57 am by bad boy bubby »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1844: Aug 08, 2017 09:10:18 am
      That said: my stance on the potential on Couts leaving has not changed (that's why I've stayed out of here) - Jürgen said he's 'Not For Sale' and I believe that

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp will refuse to sanction any deal allowing attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho to move to Barcelona. (Daily Mirror)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1845: Aug 08, 2017 09:22:19 am
      Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp will refuse to sanction any deal allowing attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho to move to Barcelona. (Daily Mirror)

Apols if been posted but - for me - Jürgen now making his position very clear....

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/philippe-coutinho-stays-liverpool-says-13371820

I think this is different to what I've seen before.

Excellent.

A message to everyone that.
      😎

I believed it then [23 July] Blud and I believe it now...

That said: my stance on the potential on Couts leaving has not changed (that's why I've stayed out of here) - Jürgen said he's 'Not For Sale' and I believe that.

As a consequence I've rested easy all along.  8)
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #1846: Aug 08, 2017 09:42:38 am

The conspiracist in me say FSG are doing all this deliberately.

FSG is what something is wrong. They will *never* sanction a buy over £50m (I know it is a lot of money). All they do is put statements in the media so that other can bid higher and get the man. I am *not* at all convinced VVD is coming here. Edwards is cr@p at making deals and that is why FSG have promoted him to that position.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1847: Aug 08, 2017 09:46:51 am
      Hate to break it to you, we have been a lesser club for years.

We had H&G, the poisonous duo, and now we have FSG.

We are not a 4th position, indeed, many people saying we are the new Arsenal. We are not.

We are a sleeping giant. We are living on history alone, all the threads we have here, Laugh at Everton, Laugh at Man Utd, we cant really do that, we are, lets be honest here, a f**king joke.

When this season starts, we have signed one big player, he will get injured, or if he doesnt the usual dross we have will and so that one player will have to play the games with the same sh*t we have had for the last 3 years.

Sturridge may play a game, get injured with an ingrowing toe nail, and be out for another 3 months.

The one thing I have noted without a doubt, its not about success, its about money, we spend none and make plenty, indeed 4th place makes more money than 5th, but this transfer window, with our owners, and the manager we have. Here is one, I can predict your end of season feeling the same as mine. We have made money, but supporting LFC is no longer a chore, its not a job, its just simply.....pointless.

Well F**k OFF then you absolute Kunt!!

I'm done with so called supporters like you, f***in glory hunters,  only happy when things are going well

Get this FUCKSTICK we don't want nor need your so called support ,

Now F**k OFF !!!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1848: Aug 08, 2017 09:51:39 am

I have this squeaky feeling that Michael Edwards and Co will screw it up. Danny Murphy's law. Bad as Ian Ayre can be, we have to give it to him. He seems to be able to tie up deals with Southampton. And don't forget Michael Edwards is first a numbers guy. He will have to learn how to do deals - "You want this term? Ok, we'll give it to you. But in return, we want something else from you.". The softer side of interaction... not desktop analytics and numbers.

One way we can be screwed is for Chelsea to put in a crazy bid, only for us to be afraid of their number and pull out.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017 10:09:34 am by ruthcity »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1849: Aug 08, 2017 09:53:28 am
      I believed it then [23 July] Blud and I believe it now...

As a consequence I've rested easy all along.  8)

Let's be 100% transparent.....IF there's a Liverpool fan on the planet that thinks he'd still be here BUT for that statement and Jürgen's positioning then they've not been watching closely enough since 2010......

I also get what you mean on VVD......my lingering FSG fear is that we give Leipzig Barca's dosh and that's the "get out of jail" for them......and they now have 2 prize bulls instead of 1.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1850: Aug 08, 2017 10:06:22 am
      Hate to break it to you, we have been a lesser club for years.

We had H&G, the poisonous duo, and now we have FSG.

We are not a 4th position, indeed, many people saying we are the new Arsenal. We are not.

We are a sleeping giant. We are living on history alone, all the threads we have here, Laugh at Everton, Laugh at Man Utd, we cant really do that, we are, lets be honest here, a f**king joke.

When this season starts, we have signed one big player, he will get injured, or if he doesnt the usual dross we have will and so that one player will have to play the games with the same sh*t we have had for the last 3 years.

Sturridge may play a game, get injured with an ingrowing toe nail, and be out for another 3 months.

The one thing I have noted without a doubt, its not about success, its about money, we spend none and make plenty, indeed 4th place makes more money than 5th, but this transfer window, with our owners, and the manager we have. Here is one, I can predict your end of season feeling the same as mine. We have made money, but supporting LFC is no longer a chore, its not a job, its just simply.....pointless.

So because we don't have the money to spend £250 million on players like Citeh or £200 million on one player like PSG we have become a joke have we, F**k sake what a fickle fan you are. Why don't you travel around the world and ask fans in every country, who idolise the team, how much of a joke we are? Sure we have had some lean years now but the giant is waking up, if you want to support a completely artificial money bags team then F**k off and support Chelsea or Citeh, I'll stick with the greatest team on earth, LFC!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1851: Aug 08, 2017 10:11:07 am

FSG is what something is wrong. They will *never* sanction a buy over £50m (I know it is a lot of money). All they do is put statements in the media so that other can bid higher and get the man. I am *not* at all convinced VVD is coming here. Edwards is cr@p at making deals and that is why FSG have promoted him to that position.

What will you say if we buy VVD for £55 million, that the owners will never sanction a bid for £60 million!! Grow up FFS and stop listening to all the crap being spouted about our owners. Its Klopp who is being stubborn regarding transfers NOT the owners and I actually quite admire that about Klopp, that he only wants the right players for the right position as opposed to the scatter gun bollocks of previous managers.
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #1852: Aug 08, 2017 10:11:30 am
      I'm told Manchester United are putting a bid in.  :f_whistle:

Who?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1853: Aug 08, 2017 10:13:51 am
      I have this squeaky feeling that Michael Edwards and Co will screw it up. Danny Murphy's law. Bad as Ian Ayre can be, we have to give it to him. He seems to be able to tie up deals with Southampton. And don't forget Michael Edwards is first a numbers guy. He will have to learn how to do deals - "You want this term? Ok, we'll give it to you. But in return, we want something else from you.". The softer side of interaction... not desktop analytics and numbers.

One way we can be screwed is for Chelsea to put in a crazy bid, only for us to be afraid of their number and pull out.

No you are so right because I'm sure Edwards has never ever done a deal in his previous role in EA!!!! and I'm also sure he doesn't have any advisors with him!! Bloody hell some of the crap being spoken on this forum lately, its quite staggering especially when they are holding Ian Ayre up as some kind of pinnacle of negotiating skill!!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #1854: Aug 08, 2017 10:17:27 am
      I actually quite admire that about Klopp, that he only wants the right players for the right position as opposed to the scatter gun bollocks of previous managers.

Jürgen is right. Jürgen has screwed FSG's moneyball. What's the point?

"You bring in a player for me to use which I do not rate, I will end up not playing him. How do you moneyball this player in three years unless that player is free?"

FSG has to learn from Mario. Are you there Mario? Hmm... nowhere to be found.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1855: Aug 08, 2017 10:30:13 am

7+ years of the highlighted modus operandi is not a conspiracy you conjure up, it is a confirmed procedure.

Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #1856: Aug 08, 2017 10:45:06 am
      On topic: will we [the Club] renege on our promise re: VvD? A part of me, sort of, hopes not. Not because I don't like the lad but because if we find it easy to go back on our word on this [and that is widely accepted by fans, as being okay] then it becomes easier to renege on other 'promises'.

I agree with your post and believe Coutinho will stay, but I think the VVD issue is not so cut and dried. Yes, we promised to end our interest in the player, but this was before Southampton (allegedly), got up to some dirty practices of their own with regards to the treatment of VVD (eg. making public what VVD believed were private discussions). If the player is made available then I see no ethical problem with us throwing our hat into the ring, especially if, say, Chelsea open the bidding.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1857: Aug 08, 2017 10:49:13 am
      I agree with your post and believe Coutinho will stay, but I think the VVD issue is not so cut and dried. Yes, we promised to end our interest in the player, but this was before Southampton (allegedly), got up to some dirty practices of their own with regards to the treatment of VVD (eg. making public what VVD believed were private discussions). If the player is made available then I see no ethical problem with us throwing our hat into the ring, especially if, say, Chelsea open the bidding.

F**k ethics, just buy him. He wants to play for us and he would massively improve our defence.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1858: Aug 08, 2017 10:51:03 am
      I think if we become the type of club that is content on finishing 4th and challenging for UCL, not trophies, then it doesn't matter much whether a player says the right things (like Coutinho does) or not (like you may say is the case of VVD). Eventually top talented individuals will be lured to the clubs challenging for glory at the very top. There are very few exceptions to the rule, and those are usually home-grown players with a prior attachment to the club, such as Gerrard. Overall, unless we are challenging to be among the top clubs in Europe, then the best players will come and go.

And the only way we stop Barca and Real treating us like their personal feeder club is to become a club challenging for - and winning - glory at the very top. It's very much in our own hands.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1859: Aug 08, 2017 11:11:58 am
      Well F**k OFF then you absolute Kunt!!

I'm done with so called supporters like you, f***in glory hunters,  only happy when things are going well

Get this FUCKSTICK we don't want nor need your so called support ,

Now F**k OFF !!!

So because we don't have the money to spend £250 million on players like Citeh or £200 million on one player like PSG we have become a joke have we, f**k sake what a fickle fan you are. Why don't you travel around the world and ask fans in every country, who idolise the team, how much of a joke we are? Sure we have had some lean years now but the giant is waking up, if you want to support a completely artificial money bags team then f**k off and support Chelsea or Citeh, I'll stick with the greatest team on earth, LFC!!

Your two responses annoy me more than what the original poster said. Although he could have worded his post better, what he said wasn't far off the mark so don't jump on his back with your super fan drivel.

We ARE a joke. We have been for years. One league cup and securing CL qualification just twice since FSG have been here is a truly abysmal record. If you disagree, then you are part of the problem.

We consistently sell our best players and don't replace them. We haven't replaced the leaders & characters we once had either such as Reina, Agger, Carra, Gerrard.

To give you a better view of things, we were ranked #1 in Europe once under Rafa. Where are we now? I'll be surprised if we are anywhere in the top 50.  That is disgraceful for a club such as ours & one league cup in ten years is shocking.

It will never be 'pointless' supporting LFC as the original poster put, but i do understand what he means. We are no longer competitive and it seems we just take part nowadays and just fill the numbers. So what is the 'point'?.

VVD only becomes a good signing if we keep hold of our best players such as Phil. Whats the point in signing VVD if we sell Coutinho? Its one step forward and two back always under FSG. My gut feeling says we will sell Phil to fund the VVD deal and that's only because I've seen it several times before with our owners. They are frauds and the sooner people wake up and realise that the better instead of coming out with the usual 'oh oh why don't you go and support Man City then'.

Thank god we have Jürgen Klopp because his miracle working has papered over many cracks and if we had an average manager in charge, Bilic or Koeman, we would be mid table nowhere near the top four.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1860: Aug 08, 2017 11:14:44 am
      Your two responses annoy me more than what the original poster said. Although he could have worded his post better, what he said wasn't far off the mark so don't jump on his back with your super fan drivel.

We ARE a joke. We have been for years. One league cup and securing CL qualification just twice since FSG have been here is a truly abysmal record. If you disagree, then you are part of the problem.

We consistently sell our best players and don't replace them. We haven't replaced the leaders & characters we once had either such as Reina, Agger, Carra, Gerrard.

To give you a better view of things, we were ranked #1 in Europe once under Rafa. Where are we now? I'll be surprised if we are anywhere in the top 50.  That is disgraceful for a club such as ours & one league cup in ten years is shocking.

It will never be 'pointless' supporting LFC as the original poster put, but i do understand what he means. We are no longer competitive and it seems we just take part nowadays and just fill the numbers. So what is the 'point'?.

VVD only becomes a good signing if we keep hold of our best players such as Phil. Whats the point in signing VVD if we sell Coutinho? Its one step forward and two back always under FSG. My gut feeling says we will sell Phil to fund the VVD deal and that's only because I've seen it several times before with our owners. They are frauds and the sooner people wake up and realise that the better instead of coming out with the usual 'oh oh why don't you go and support Man City then'.

Thank god we have Jürgen Klopp because his miracle working has papered over many cracks and if we had an average manager in charge, Bilic or Koeman, we would be mid table nowhere near the top four.

Can you provide examples of when we have sold players to fund the purchase of other players?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1861: Aug 08, 2017 11:15:35 am
      Can you provide examples of when we have sold players to fund the purchase of other players?

We sold Suarez to buy Moreno, Lovren, Lallana, Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1862: Aug 08, 2017 11:16:07 am
      Don't shoot the messenger but apparently were hoping to reopen dialogue with Southampton today regarding VVD.

Quick Reply