Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263499 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1886: Aug 08, 2017 12:21:12 pm
      Hey I know...let's discuss a transfer that happened years ago in favor of one that might not happen this week.....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1887: Aug 08, 2017 12:28:24 pm
      Hey I know...let's discuss a transfer that happened years ago in favor of one that might not happen this week.....

We were discussing "sell to buy" which is entirely relevant given the current situation with Coutinho, as some see it.

Like you discussing Dempsey yesterday.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #1888: Aug 08, 2017 12:35:43 pm
      F**k ethics, just buy him. He wants to play for us and he would massively improve our defence.

I like your thinking, but it doesn't work like that. The Indy suggests Southampton could freeze us out of any talks completely if they want to. I doubt they would, especially if they sniff a bidding war, but I still think we need to tread cautiously.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-transfer-chelsea-southampton-latest-a7882136.html
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1889: Aug 08, 2017 12:46:23 pm
      No offense Diego, but he said it (we sold Suarez to buy players) so he can either backtrack or explain himself.

Do we use the money after players have been sold to buy other players?
      Absolutely, it'd be madness not to, but to suggest we have a sell to buy policy is simply wrong imo.

We buy when we sell. Didn't specifically mean we sold Luis Suarez to bring in Moreno for fucks sake.

Figured out what our net is under Klopp yet? And then since FSG have been here?

Let me know once you do, cheers.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1890: Aug 08, 2017 12:52:05 pm
      We buy when we sell. Didn't specifically mean we sold Luis Suarez to bring in Moreno for fucks sake.

You're wasting your time mate!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1891: Aug 08, 2017 12:56:32 pm
      All things considered, it will be a very good window if we land VVD
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1892: Aug 08, 2017 01:00:45 pm
      Your two responses annoy me more than what the original poster said. Although he could have worded his post better, what he said wasn't far off the mark so don't jump on his back with your super fan drivel.

We ARE a joke. We have been for years. One league cup and securing CL qualification just twice since FSG have been here is a truly abysmal record. If you disagree, then you are part of the problem.

We consistently sell our best players and don't replace them. We haven't replaced the leaders & characters we once had either such as Reina, Agger, Carra, Gerrard.

To give you a better view of things, we were ranked #1 in Europe once under Rafa. Where are we now? I'll be surprised if we are anywhere in the top 50.  That is disgraceful for a club such as ours & one league cup in ten years is shocking.

It will never be 'pointless' supporting LFC as the original poster put, but i do understand what he means. We are no longer competitive and it seems we just take part nowadays and just fill the numbers. So what is the 'point'?.

VVD only becomes a good signing if we keep hold of our best players such as Phil. Whats the point in signing VVD if we sell Coutinho? Its one step forward and two back always under FSG. My gut feeling says we will sell Phil to fund the VVD deal and that's only because I've seen it several times before with our owners. They are frauds and the sooner people wake up and realise that the better instead of coming out with the usual 'oh oh why don't you go and support Man City then'.

Thank god we have Jürgen Klopp because his miracle working has papered over many cracks and if we had an average manager in charge, Bilic or Koeman, we would be mid table nowhere near the top four.

Well you can F**k off as well then, why would you support a joke of a club? How many joke clubs get into the top4 in the prem, how many joke clubs play in the champions league. How many joke clubs have players of the calibre of Mane, Coutinho, Firminho, Salah, Lallana, Sturridge etc etc?
      Its one thing to say we have underachieved in recent years, we can all agree on that, its quite another to label the club we "all" love and support a joke so once again, F**k OFF!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1893: Aug 08, 2017 01:05:10 pm
      All things considered, it will be a very good window if we land VVD, Keita and at least one other player that will challenge for a starting position.

Fixed that for you.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1894: Aug 08, 2017 01:06:37 pm
      I like your thinking, but it doesn't work like that. The Indy suggests Southampton could freeze us out of any talks completely if they want to. I doubt they would, especially if they sniff a bidding war, but I still think we need to tread cautiously.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-transfer-chelsea-southampton-latest-a7882136.html

Well if they want to have a pissed off player taking them to court rather than £70 million to reinvest then yes that could be an option for them ;-)
      In reality its time for Southampton to do whats good for business, to do whats good for their club rather than be petty and small minded.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1895: Aug 08, 2017 01:08:32 pm

Why don't you tell us since you already seem to know everything. can you also explain why FSG were bidding on Keita or was it all a huge conspiracy and Red Bull were in on it the whole time, for some unknown reason, except you rumbled them Sherlock!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1896: Aug 08, 2017 01:09:25 pm
      Southampton want to play like they have aspirations of being a "big" club. If you want to see what size club you are, go try and buy someone that costs 30 or 40m and see just how "big" you really are.

You are a feeder club, nothing more. Accept your lot, take our money and move on.

Oh that's right...we haven't offered any money, only an "apology".  :roll: :f_doh:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1897: Aug 08, 2017 01:16:32 pm

So we don't have a sell to buy policy?

Look, if we sell a player for a lot of money, of course we'll have a low net spend.
      It stands to reason.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which players we have forced out in order to buy other players, because it's not adding up, this alleged "sell to buy", it's a simple consequence of selling a high value player, and we've had little or no choice when players have wanted to move on.
      It was always Suarez's desire to play for Barca, because that's where his family were.
      We were just another stepping stone for him, the same as Arsenal would have been if he'd got his move there.

The question I ask myself is this; has the squad improved both in terms of value (as in the value of) and quality under FSG, and the answer is an undoubted yes, compared to the squad we had when they came in, we have much more quality and value.
      Now you could say that wouldn't be difficult after the asset stripping of h&g, but the fact is that we are miles ahead of the squad they inherited.

They finally have the manager in place that they wanted all along, and we are now making bigger strides every season.
      We'll win the title under Klopp, with the backing of FSG, I have no doubts about that.

As far as money going out of the club goes, I've asked plenty of times for someone to point it out in the accounts, and not a single person has been able to, including a couple of people who know more than I do about accounting.

We've got a shiny new stand, increased capacity, the makings of an excellent squad, and more commercial revenue than ever, so I'm not going to be someone who has a hissy fit every transfer window because things aren't happening the way I'd like them to, because I can see the improvements on the field.

Do we need more players?
      Yes, but that's down to Klopp, not FSG.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #1898: Aug 08, 2017 01:18:02 pm
      Southampton want to play like they have aspirations of being a "big" club. If you want to see what size club you are, go try and buy someone that costs 30 or 40m and see just how "big" you really are.

You are a feeder club, nothing more. Accept your lot, take our money and move on.

Oh that's right...we haven't offered any money, only an "apology".  :roll: :f_doh:

That's how it works with big John in charge.  After he makes inappropriate advances at Linda the apology comes first, followed by the money to make it all better 😎
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #1899: Aug 08, 2017 02:23:57 pm
      I can understand Southampton. I would do the same to Liverpool if I am them. How many good players did we take from them? Did we give them a bone back, like a guy for cheaper? You can't do business that way, at some point you have to give your opponent the impression that he's equally blessed and Liverpool screwed up here. They lack any smart manager skills which perferctly explains why they got all those scums as owners over the last years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1900: Aug 08, 2017 02:25:31 pm
      That's how it works with big John in charge.  After he makes inappropriate advances at Linda the apology comes first, followed by the money to make it all better 😎

As with Linda the tactic usually works.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #1901: Aug 08, 2017 02:44:13 pm
      Well if they want to have a pissed off player taking them to court rather than £70 million to reinvest then yes that could be an option for them ;-)
      In reality its time for Southampton to do whats good for business, to do whats good for their club rather than be petty and small minded.

I agree with you, mate. 100%. I think he's off. Just worried that we won't get a look in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1902: Aug 08, 2017 02:46:40 pm
      I can understand Southampton. I would do the same to Liverpool if I am them. How many good players did we take from them? Did we give them a bone back, like a guy for cheaper? You can't do business that way, at some point you have to give your opponent the impression that he's equally blessed and Liverpool screwed up here. They lack any smart manager skills which perferctly explains why they got all those scums as owners over the last years.

"Did we give them a bone back", are you kidding here?? We gave them lots and lots of pounds for every single player we signed from them so they have no reason to be pissed off with their best customer.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1903: Aug 08, 2017 02:56:22 pm
      Where did Walcott and Ox come from? Good players.. to Arsenal. Lovren is  not good he's acceptable. Lallana is good.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,249 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1904: Aug 08, 2017 03:54:04 pm
      Well with VVD now putting in his transfer request we will find out how serious are owners are .....or not as the case may be
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #1905: Aug 08, 2017 04:24:52 pm
      "Did we give them a bone back", are you kidding here?? We gave them lots and lots of pounds for every single player we signed from them so they have no reason to be pissed off with their best customer.

You don't understand. Money is not everything. We took away their best players, year after year. Yes, we paid accordingly, but obviously we left them feeling inferior. That feeling might be irrational, but who cares because now it makes them angry at us and refusing to sell. That phenomenon is well known in the business world and good businessmen can deal with it.

Just as an example: When we got Mané - after the deal done! - I would have offered them Moreno for free, just as a thank-you-gift and the good collaboration over the last years. Yes, it would have meant a financial deficit in the short run, but in the long run they would not only have felt appreciated but also felt they got something in return instead of feeling to be a one-way-street. In the long run it would mean a better get-along and we could milk them more patiently. I hope you see my point, there are tons of how you can do that, so don't hang too much on this example.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1906: Aug 08, 2017 04:28:08 pm
      You don't understand. Money is not everything. We took away their best players, year after year. Yes, we paid accordingly, but obviously we left them feeling inferior. That feeling might be irrational, but who cares because now it makes them angry at us and refusing to sell. That phenomenon is well known in the business world and good businessmen can deal with it.

Just as an example: When we got Mané - after the deal done! - I would have offered them Moreno for free, just as a thank-you-gift and the good collaboration over the last years. Yes, it would have meant a financial deficit in the short run, but in the long run they would not only have felt appreciated but also felt they got something in return instead of feeling to be a one-way-street. In the long run it would mean a better get-along and we could milk them more patiently. I hope you see my point, there are tons of how you can do that, so don't hang too much on this example.

I mean this with the greatest respect but you are either a child or an incredibly naive person, I can't quite decide which.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #1907: Aug 08, 2017 05:12:48 pm
      Klopp met with Pellegrino today, so we should expect an announcement to be made shortly.

Pellegrino came with nothing but left the meeting with a bag in hand...  ;D

It's done. You heard it here first.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1908: Aug 08, 2017 05:32:17 pm
      If we're offering opinions, my guess is we won't get him. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem like it will happen. I hope I'm wrong because we could definitely stand an upgrade at central defense.

Quick Reply