Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263459 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2047: Aug 11, 2017 11:18:05 am
      VVD must be loving life. He puts in a request, he's ostracized by his current club, and STILL we don't bid for him. We may well end up getting him, (obviously not match fit, once the season has already started, unavailable for the first month etc) but I wonder if the next time we let a player know we want him whether they'll also be willing to go out on a limb for us.

The way we treat people, the player we're looking at, the selling club etc is so lacking in class, so removed from what we were always about, it's as beyond belief as it is saddening.

I think that's a bit unfair BigMick, obviously it was a bit silly of Klopp to chat with the player before we approached the club but in the real world that happens all the time and clubs don't really care, for example do you imagine that PSG weren't talking with Neymar before submitting a £200 million bid?? We were just unlucky to catch Southampton at their "special" time of the month/transfer window and they flipped out.
      Now though is the time for all parties to sit down with cool heads and work out a deal that benefits everyone.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2048: Aug 11, 2017 11:23:06 am

Now though is the time for all parties to sit down with cool heads and work out a deal that benefits everyone.

I agree mate. That process traditionally starts with the potential buyers making a bid. To the best of my knowledge, smoke signals, carrier pigeons and crystal balls have never previously been used in player transfers.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2049: Aug 11, 2017 11:29:21 am
      I agree mate. That process traditionally starts with the potential buyers making a bid. To the best of my knowledge, smoke signals, carrier pigeons and crystal balls have never previously been used in player transfers.

;D

Whatabout batting eyelids.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2050: Aug 11, 2017 11:30:05 am

yeah but there simply must be discussions going on BigMick, if not then the nearer deadline day we get the more nervous Southampton will get with price lowering etc and they'll reach out to us but that is a very dangerous game to play from FSG.
      If I was them I'd slap a bid of £60 million on the table, leak it to all the media, and wait for Southampton's reaction.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2051: Aug 11, 2017 12:02:36 pm
      https://twitter.com/TEAMtalk/status/895961492994101248

Van Dijk appears set on forcing a move however, and Pellegrino admitted there could come a point where Southampton may not be able to alter the 26-year-old’s stance.

“My reaction is the same that I said three weeks ago: we are expecting him (Van Dijk) to come back, to train with us because we need the players, we need all of them,” said the manager.

“Hopefully he can change his point of view. Virgil is an important player and we need him focused on our club.”

Asked if Southampton can genuinely retain an unhappy player, Pellegrino said: “But the club was clear from the beginning with the player.

“We can’t control every single situation. We can decide our dynamic in this group and Virgil is part of our group; he has a contract.

“He has spoken with (executive director) Les Reed. We’ve spoken with the player but not too much, a couple of meetings.

“I was clear, the club was clear, he was clear on his position. But we have to keep going because I can’t control the thinking or the feeling of the player.”
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2052: Aug 11, 2017 12:36:49 pm
      https://twitter.com/TEAMtalk/status/895961492994101248

Van Dijk appears set on forcing a move however, and Pellegrino admitted there could come a point where Southampton may not be able to alter the 26-year-old’s stance.

“My reaction is the same that I said three weeks ago: we are expecting him (Van Dijk) to come back, to train with us because we need the players, we need all of them,” said the manager.

“Hopefully he can change his point of view. Virgil is an important player and we need him focused on our club.”

Asked if Southampton can genuinely retain an unhappy player, Pellegrino said: “But the club was clear from the beginning with the player.

“We can’t control every single situation. We can decide our dynamic in this group and Virgil is part of our group; he has a contract.

“He has spoken with (executive director) Les Reed. We’ve spoken with the player but not too much, a couple of meetings.

“I was clear, the club was clear, he was clear on his position. But we have to keep going because I can’t control the thinking or the feeling of the player.”

FFS just offer them £30 million plus Sakho, we finally get our player they get a very decent CB plus £30 million on the hip, everyone's a winner. This really is a no brainer.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2053: Aug 11, 2017 02:05:23 pm
      FFS just offer them £30 million plus Sakho, we finally get our player they get a very decent CB plus £30 million on the hip, everyone's a winner. This really is a no brainer.

They would reject that all day.

Swap deals basically never happen.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2054: Aug 11, 2017 03:30:49 pm
      This is surely nothing more than sour grapes.

I have no personal animosity towards either club....I don't follow them and I truly could care less either way but the fact is the Saint's are who they are and that is not a top side...they are mid-table selling club.

Now you could probably call us a selling club to the like of Barca...fair play, however the Soton model has been buy'em and sell them young...stay in the PL and make a cup run.

Trying to turn into billy bad ass is nothing more than keep the supporters somewhat placated while at the same time I have little doubt they're board are upset that they bought a play and can sell him 2 years on for 5-7X the price they paid.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2055: Aug 11, 2017 04:08:40 pm
      They would reject that all day.

Swap deals basically never happen.

Why would they reject it, Sakho's a good CB and it means they don't have to go out hunting for a CB at the 11th hour, it would be a great result for them, unless they don't value Sakho.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2056: Aug 11, 2017 04:12:09 pm
      Why would they reject it, Sakho's a good CB and it means they don't have to go out hunting for a CB at the 11th hour, it would be a great result for them, unless they don't value Sakho.

Why would they want a CB who falls out with management at every club he's ever been to, let alone value him at 30+ million. They'll sign who they want, not a risk like Sakho.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2057: Aug 11, 2017 04:30:21 pm
      Why would they want a CB who falls out with management at every club he's ever been to, let alone value him at 30+ million. They'll sign who they want, not a risk like Sakho.

Fair point they do seem to piss off their CB's on a regular basis ;-)
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #2058: Aug 11, 2017 04:33:10 pm
      This transfer window has made me hate Fridays so much.   :mad:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2059: Aug 11, 2017 04:51:17 pm
      This transfer window has made me hate Fridays so much.   :mad:

Made me hate everyday ending in "y". :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2060: Aug 11, 2017 10:13:47 pm
      I am not keen on Van Dijk transfer anymore. If he is as good as the money we are willing to pay, next 2 seasons Barca will be back again and we will have Van Dijk doing here what he is doing at Southampton. I want to say Barca are utter t*ssers and the only way is by not being like Barca.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2061: Aug 11, 2017 10:28:21 pm
      Football is big business, its dog eat dog, i'd go after VVD, taking the moral high ground over transfers because were being pick pocketed ?, F**k that do you see Barca saying that after having Neymar stolen in a manner where the decision was took out of their hands?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2062: Aug 11, 2017 10:36:36 pm
      Football like most big business is like the hierarchy of the food chain.

We just have to admit at the moment Barca are above us and as predators we are vulnerable if they come hunting, and ditto Saints if we are sniffing.

There again we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world so can if we want to not play, so can Saints but for them it means there annual income from their most reliable customer has dried up to do business.

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #2063: Aug 11, 2017 10:43:41 pm
      This will go to the wire. It's one of those negotiations where parties play the endurance game: you try to prolong the negotiations to make your opponent to make an impatient (suboptimal) move. The Saints probably hope to get 80 Mio. €  instead of 70 Mio. € for VVD by continuing to refuse to sell, Liverpool hopes to get him for 60 Mio. € by waiting till 8/30, so that the Saints get impatient and sell him for less.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2064: Aug 11, 2017 11:46:19 pm
      Have they said they won't sell?

Probably too late for them to get a replacement... remember? The excuse JWH gave for not selling Luis [the 1st time]?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2065: Aug 12, 2017 02:52:45 pm
      Does anyone know why we haven't put a bid in for VvD yet?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #2066: Aug 12, 2017 02:57:27 pm

We're probably too scared of upsetting them again!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2067: Aug 12, 2017 02:59:11 pm

I'd guess because we're in contact with Southampton and they're telling us to do one, even if they are we should put another £10m on what we were going to bid and blow them out of the water because we are desperate for someone back there.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,518 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2068: Aug 12, 2017 03:03:41 pm
      I'd guess because we're in contact with Southampton and they're telling us to do one, even if they are we should put another £10m on what we were going to bid and blow them out of the water because we are desperate for someone back there.
      If ever there was a situation where a team was crying out for a player to bolster the team and that player was available, this is it. He ain't a luxury player, he is the ideal perfect addition for us. It's so glaringly obvious it's astounding.

If Klopp, actually, if John W. Henry, cannot see that by this point, well, we all may as well just pack it up right now
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017 04:23:03 pm by Rush »
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2069: Aug 12, 2017 03:09:18 pm
      Midfield is joke load worse Liverpool teams see in years take mane maybe one more out team it sh*t

Quick Reply