Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263592 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2162: Aug 16, 2017 12:56:54 pm
      My Van Dijk forecast. Either he'll remain at Southampton or come to us. Not another club.

Remain at Southampton - if the club doesn't want to deal, nothing will change. They will reject all offers and he will remain at Southampton. Who knows, he may be worth £100m next year?

Joins us - but really, £60-70m for a defender is really a good price to sell right now. Some part of me feel we're overpaying too but that's a separate discussion. If bids are accepted from Chelsea, we will also go in. In this instance, he will come to us. No doubt that we will have the capacity to outbid anyone with the Keita budget.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2163: Aug 16, 2017 01:02:57 pm
      So you agree someone else should of been doing the tapping up?

I agree that Klopp should know better than to tap up a player!! FFS stop making excuses for him, he himself apologised for this, so why are you still making excuses for him. Klopp fu**ed up, our manager is not the messiah, in this instance he was a very naughty boy.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2164: Aug 16, 2017 01:04:48 pm
      Oh I know.  I've read that.  Was just wondering when FSG issued an apology.

Why should FSG issue an apology over it?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2165: Aug 16, 2017 01:06:47 pm
      I agree that Klopp should know better than to tap up a player!! FFS stop making excuses for him, he himself apologised for this, so why are you still making excuses for him. Klopp fu**ed up, our manager is not the messiah, in this instance he was a very naughty boy.
      Easy to blame Klopp, but how did Klopp do any different in talking to VVD than City or Chelsea? They were in for him too. Only difference as I see it is Soton' got fed up with us trying to nick their latest girlfriend once again and decided to make a bit of a scene about it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2166: Aug 16, 2017 01:08:13 pm
      Probably more like....

Liv: Hi this is Liverpool we've got 50 mil here for Kieta.

RB: Haha you cheeky bas**rds, add another 50 mil to that and we might start negotiations.

Now we already know what it'll take to start the negotiations we can safely go back in with another bid knowing quite well that it will be fu**ed off.

As for whoever said about a manager never being in a position where he can be accused of tapping up. It's spot on.

Klopp should identify targets and then the next he should hear is a phone call or something saying..  Jürgen we've just bid for/ asked Southampton if we can have VVD.

We've been given permission to talk to him.

Wow I'd love to sell you something some time if you think that's how haggling works ;-) Do you not think the selling party might drop their price a bit? So with that in mind I ask you again how could FSG be 100% certain that Leipzig would reject £70 million for a player who will leave for £40 million in one years time??
      Kopite78
      Reply #2167: Aug 16, 2017 01:10:14 pm

All managers do it.. don't be naive to think they don't.

He apologised because it out it to bed and he was likely asked to by his bosses to do so
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2168: Aug 16, 2017 01:12:37 pm
      Easy to blame Klopp, but how did Klopp do any different in talking to VVD than City or Chelsea? They were in for him too. Only difference as I see it is Soton' got fed up with us trying to nick their latest girlfriend once again and decided to make a bit of a scene about it.

Klopp fu**ed up by talking directly to the player, he should have met the player together with the agent or even just spoken with the agent first, that's the part where he fu**ed up and ran afoul of the rules. Perhaps its different rules in the Bundesliga but whichever way you slice it Jürgen fu**ed it up. Hopefully we can still get our man though.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2169: Aug 16, 2017 02:30:47 pm
      Klopp fu**ed up by talking directly to the player, he should have met the player together with the agent or even just spoken with the agent first, that's the part where he fu**ed up and ran afoul of the rules.

Oh is that true? Would be fantastic background information if true. So the agent wasn't involved at all in the background? I would've thought it's in the agent's interest to broker a deal. Nice if you could clarify.

Question. If the agent was there, no rules would've been broken? Nice if you could clarify?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2170: Aug 16, 2017 02:32:39 pm
      Oh is that true? Would be fantastic background information if true. So the agent wasn't involved at all in the background? I would've thought it's in the agent's interest to broker a deal. Nice if you could clarify.

Question. If the agent was there, no rules would've been broken? Nice if you could clarify?

Its what I heard, basically if you go via the agent first then its ok to have a quick chat with the player to see if there's any interest before approaching the club. From what I understand Klopp just went direct to Virgil and that's a big no no.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #2171: Aug 16, 2017 02:36:54 pm
      Its what I heard, basically if you go via the agent first then its ok to have a quick chat with the player to see if there's any interest before approaching the club. From what I understand Klopp just went direct to Virgil and that's a big no no.

How did Klopp have his number to go direct?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2172: Aug 16, 2017 02:43:25 pm
      How did Klopp have his number to go direct?

Usually you'll ask your agent. That's how players apologise to each other through phone. And agents probably know each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2173: Aug 16, 2017 03:05:46 pm
      Usually you'll ask your agent. That's how players apologise to each other through phone. And agents probably know each other. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd imagine so yes.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #2174: Aug 16, 2017 03:58:09 pm
      Why should FSG issue an apology over it?
      I was simply trying to point out one of my biggest pet peeves on this board.

When something goes wrong it's down to FSG.

When something goes right it's LFC and we are all pulling together.

And for the record I can't stand the Red Sox.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2175: Aug 16, 2017 04:34:48 pm

Ah ok in that case I 100% agree with you, the constant FSG bashing on here pisses me off as well. they've been far from perfect in the past but this summer they have been backing the manager on his targets.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #2176: Aug 16, 2017 04:41:10 pm

Hmmm - an incredibly accurate assessment of culpability though 2010-17 though........
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2177: Aug 16, 2017 04:46:30 pm
      Like Leipzig, they are adamament they won't be selling. Think these 2 deals are dead as a dodo but we haven't got an alternative to either. Are we really going to try and limp through the season without an alternative just to try again next year?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #2178: Aug 16, 2017 04:46:46 pm
      Yeah I'm not sure it was Klopp that messed up. Like I said, he knows how it works.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #2179: Aug 16, 2017 04:48:12 pm
      Why don't we guzump the Southampton bid for Wesley Hoyd from Lazio? We are going to buy him from Southampton for £50m next summer anyway! Why not pay £25m now and save ourselves the extra £25m.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2180: Aug 16, 2017 05:05:49 pm
      According to SSN Saints are still adamant they will not sell VVD during this window. Given that we have never actually made a bid for the lad I would suggest that they make one right now and make it big or simply move on and find another centre-half (or two).
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #2181: Aug 16, 2017 05:51:58 pm
      I think we've wasted too much time on this, they have new investment in at Southampton, so obviously do not need to sell. I agree with LFCexiled, it's time to move on. Hopefully we have been making discreet enquiries about alternatives, but to be honest, I doubt it with the way we conduct transfers!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2182: Aug 16, 2017 05:56:47 pm
      Can we please just move on👍👍👍👍
      Surely to F**k there is more centre halves out there we can bid for.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2183: Aug 16, 2017 05:59:24 pm
      I still done see him staying there. I think they're laying ground work to save face with fans when they ultimately sell him for a hiked fee and say to them, look we tried everything but he didnt want to stay and we couldn't do anything but look we had them off in terms of a fee.

If they dont sell him it ultimately screws up their sell to potential new signings who see them as a stepping stone, which they will never be more than.. will players want to sign if they wont be able to move again to the next club?
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #2184: Aug 16, 2017 06:01:04 pm
      Can we please just move on👍👍👍👍
      Surely to f**k there is more centre halves out there we can bid for.

Answers on a postcard to The Transfer Committee, Liverpool Football Club, Anfield, Liverpool.

Quick Reply