Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 260907 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #2875: Dec 23, 2017 11:26:12 pm

Wow, who is leaking this sh*t out? I guess we're gonna make yet another apology come January.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2876: Dec 23, 2017 11:46:59 pm
      What's a bit worse is that there will be reports saying we are waiting for encouragement from Saints to open talks, or some crap like that. Whilst City just get on, chuck in the asking price and get him tied down to a 5 year deal at 250-300k a week.

Again 7KK7 the door was open for them as well as Chelsea this past Summer...why didn't they do it then, and why did the player not push for it....there was no doubt that City were going to be the team to beat even before the season started.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2877: Dec 24, 2017 12:12:05 am
      Again 7KK7 the door was open for them as well as Chelsea this past Summer...why didn't they do it then, and why did the player not push for it....there was no doubt that City were going to be the team to beat even before the season started.

City despite now needing a CB with Kompany again showing unreliability with fitness and Stones being injured, they only really have Otamendi as regular. Their main priorities in the summer was the FB areas and the keeper. Probably with the intentions of hoping Kompany was over his injury problems.

Chelsea were never really linked with him, not massively. They were a mess in the summer window, none of their transfers really made any sense.

Player didn't push for it because he probably thought he was joining us, he made it public he wanted to leave and was talking with Klopp. At the time, we were the only team really in need of a CB.

Just because they didn't push for this player in the summer doesn't mean they won't now, priorities and targets change as the season goes on.
      « Last Edit: Dec 24, 2017 01:03:25 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2878: Dec 24, 2017 01:52:27 am
      Wow, who is leaking this sh*t out? I guess we're gonna make yet another apology come January.

Haha right.

Seems we never learn.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2879: Dec 24, 2017 01:54:07 am
      Haha right.

Seems we never learn.

Who says it's us though?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2881: Dec 24, 2017 02:02:23 am

That doesn't say we have leaked anything though. All they're doing is guessing. In one sentence they say we didn't want to pay the asking price of 70m as a negotiation tactic but now we do want to pay it? All in the space of a week? Come off it :D. That doesn't even make sense.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2882: Dec 24, 2017 02:14:25 am
      That doesn't say we have leaked anything though. All they're doing is guessing. In one sentence they say we didn't want to pay the asking price of 70m as a negotiation tactic but now we do want to pay it? All in the space of a week? Come off it :D. That doesn't even make sense.

What are you asking? Why I thought it was us that leaked or us that’s interested? I’m only saying it’s apparently us that’s interested and thats why I linked the story I read. Calm your tits and stop being a pedant.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2883: Dec 24, 2017 07:30:28 am

That time of the year again! 🙄
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2884: Dec 24, 2017 10:34:39 am
      Google Van Dijk. Reports gathering steam we're close. But Melissa Reddy hasn't made any indication though.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2885: Dec 24, 2017 11:08:41 am
      We really need him. I do not think that he is the only solution but part of it for sure. He needs us and we need him. He wants to play in Champions League and we can offer that chance and we need to solve our defensive issues.

He needs help to solve our issues but we would be better with him in our team.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2886: Dec 24, 2017 12:35:18 pm
      Acquiring him is only part of the solution. We must displace Lovren with him. Imagine we continue playing him alongside Lovren and Migs. :lmao:
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2887: Dec 24, 2017 12:36:08 pm
      Think this will happen
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2888: Dec 24, 2017 02:26:51 pm
      Acquiring him is only part of the solution. We must displace Lovren with him. Imagine we continue playing him alongside Lovren and Migs. :lmao:

Spending 70m on him only seems logical if we're going to go out and get an actual decent keeper and a defensive midfielder to protect the defence. If we're not going to do either of those things then not much is going to change.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2889: Dec 24, 2017 03:17:45 pm
      Who wouldn't want VVD, right? I wouldn't have any problems with us buying him, but I just feel we can strengthen our defensive buying a GK, CB and DM for around £70-£80m, but Klopp really wants him, so it is what it is. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #2890: Dec 24, 2017 04:27:38 pm
      With City sniffing we'd better have a back up this time.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2891: Dec 24, 2017 05:37:19 pm
      Spending 70m on him only seems logical if we're going to go out and get an actual decent keeper and a defensive midfielder to protect the defence. If we're not going to do either of those things then not much is going to change.

To be honest, even if that doesn’t happen, the fact he would replace Lovren immediately justifies 70mill well spent. Hell, I’d be happy for us to pay someone 70mill to take Lovren!!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2892: Dec 24, 2017 06:55:01 pm
      To be honest, even if that doesn’t happen, the fact he would replace Lovren immediately justifies 70mill well spent. Hell, I’d be happy for us to pay someone 70mill to take Lovren!!

Hahahahahahahaha
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #2893: Dec 26, 2017 12:22:13 am
      Hey, were playing Swans next. If we do our usual trick against the bottom sides, and gift them 3 points, VVD or anyone else, may not wanna come here !
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #2894: Dec 26, 2017 12:43:38 am
      Telegraph say City are in talks with Southampton over a £60m deal. Wouldn't be in the least surprising if true...silly money and all that.

Not sure I'm THAT concerned because surely to god there has to be a centre back out there worth signing who is comfortably under £60m.

Pick the best ten leagues in world, assign one scout to each league and identify centre backs that fit the bill. Virgil Van Dyke cannot be the only one available.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2895: Dec 26, 2017 06:22:10 am
      Telegraph say City are in talks with Southampton over a £60m deal. Wouldn't be in the least surprising if true...silly money and all that.

Not sure I'm THAT concerned because surely to god there has to be a centre back out there worth signing who is comfortably under £60m.

Pick the best ten leagues in world, assign one scout to each league and identify centre backs that fit the bill. Virgil Van Dyke cannot be the only one available.

He's good but extremely overrated and especially at that price, in my opinion.

Make the scouts earn their money and find someone better. We could get almost anyone for that price.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2896: Dec 26, 2017 09:43:31 am

Means he's in the market and we can negotiate. We would be the joke of the whole damn town if we didn't get him. Clown Michael Edwards.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #2897: Dec 26, 2017 12:51:38 pm
      I'd rather bid £60 million on a new goalkeeper

Quick Reply