Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Top four. I'm having trouble getting worked up over it, probably just me?

Read 9754 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Top four. I'm having trouble getting worked up over it, probably just me?
      Reply #69: Apr 16, 2017 01:25:08 pm
      I thought we could at least keep pace before we imploded in Jan/Feb. The early season signs were very encouraging and I'd expect that from a world class manager. I wouldn't expect a manager of Klopp's calibre to exhibit a half a season wonder show.

The question should be Littleface, did you really expect us to blow that form, and in the process undermine it so spectacularly in the space of 1-2 months? Going from one extreme to the other like that was bound to take the wind out of the sails, it did me. It was polar opposites and the shock of that wasn't good - Losing to Wolves at home, c'mon man did you expect that dross after the early season form?

I didn't. I believe Klopp should have turned it around quicker. Signs were beginning to show we were getting leggy and even tactically low half (division) managers started to get the measure of us.

I didn't expect us to win it in December (silly that), but I didn't expect us to implode so drastically. That was low. And nothing can dress that up. Klopp has even admitted he got that wrong - not reinforcing - so all the excuses about the squad he was left with 15 months prior to that doesn't wash. He's man enough to admit it - which is all that matters.

By the same token, we're in the hunt for the Arsenal achievement cup right now, and even though that is a slur aimed at the gooners, we haven't been here for a few years.

It's important we consolidate it this year, and then stay there which Rodgers failed to do, and make it ours. So we are regularly playing CL football. We've then got to build on that and challenge for the title not just hang around there like Arsenal, and possibly win some domestic cups in the process. Huge asks, no matter the manager.

It's only going to get tougher and it's imperative Klopp & co. firstly buy right, and don't underestimate the rigours of English football again. Though I'm certain he will have learned the latter merely from our weak domestic squad this season.

This is what I expect now, going from a "novice" to a "world class" manager. Firm but fair expectations.
      Pretty much agree with all of that. I did think we were gona tail off but not as spectacularly as we did. The defence was always the reason why i thought it could go tits up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #70: Apr 16, 2017 03:37:49 pm
      I think his very appointment was the pivotal moment of our decline.

To be fair, Ian Rush, John Barnes, Peter Beardsley, Steve McMahon, Ray Houghton, Jan Molby, Ronnie Whelan, Steve Nicol, and Bruce Grobbelaar were all knocking on (30 or over), and that isn't easy, but still...

Paul Stewart & Julian 'thug' Gicks. FML

Not just that but the way Sir John Smith was ousted and some no mark like Noel White taking over in the boardroom didn't help.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #71: Apr 16, 2017 03:47:56 pm
      It's a massive deal.

This is the first time where we are a decent side and we're not relying on just one or two players unlike the title challenge three years ago.

It's more of a team effort this time - that is something to build upon, and something we haven't had since Benitez.

Klopp has to be given credit for that. It's not a season of 'missed opportunities' because quite frankly, the squads above us are better. We don't have the depth at all and to think otherwise is ridiculous.

We need to build on what we've got and then challenge. The style and philosophy is fine, now we just need more quality. That's up to FSG now - time for them to deliver and stop penny pinching with a pathetic transfer strategy.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Apr 16, 2017 08:47:35 pm
      Well, hope Firmino had you leaping about the place today Mick, he did me :)   Nice 3 pts today, decent enough game I thought, on top for most of it, dug in at the end. Should really have put them away more comfortably. AND sent Tony Pubis home with nought, bonus :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #73: Apr 16, 2017 08:57:09 pm
      Problem is its not a trophy, and we would all prefer a trophy as we have not had many in recent times. But we have also not had much champions league football in recent times either, so its all good if we do get top 4, it looking likely to be another season where we dont win the league but have picked up enough points to have won it in another season.

Its progress as noted above, but thats all.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #74: Apr 16, 2017 09:09:43 pm
      From what I've read, I'm with the majority.

Totally understand what you're saying Mick, and I get the lack of excitement for the way the league has gone after that start and it all seems a bit anticlimactic given what we all started to dream of earlier.

The excitement lies in the future of the club if we do however return to the grandest stage in European football, as it is where we belong, and nothing quite beats Anfield on a European night.

The summer will also be interesting as we have heard a lot of 'you need to be in the champions league to attract the best talent', we would finally see if dem owners will put their money where it matters and invest in the squad.

So yes, it's hard to be excited about finishing 4th, even 3rd, but the prospect of what comes with finishing there, and the future of the club is worth getting excited about.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #75: Apr 22, 2017 12:49:18 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      The alternative of Europa League and having to go to some crumbling hole of a stadium in sub zero Russia on a Thursday tea time is enough to make me cry.

The last time we went out there, we won 1-0 in Kazan. I wasn't crying. I would gladly take it, if it was either that or nothing at all as it has been this year. Obviously you'd rather go to a crumbling hole in St. Petersburg at 5pm on a Wednesday night instead. Which is quite possible if we're in the European Cup again.

Klopp was appointed to get us into the European Cup, and it looks like we will get there. But it's a relief, not an achievement. We were not expected to win the league, but nobody will care about who will win it, as nobody bar themselves will give a sht.

The rewards for finishing in the top 4 come next September. I'm sure not many will have trouble getting worked up about it then.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #76: Apr 23, 2017 12:23:07 pm
      I'm not excited about finishing 3rd or 4th, but I am excited by the prospect of making ECL

I understand the thinking that we are Liverpool and should be looking at winning titles, but the reality is, we've been nowhere for way too long and this is our opportunity to play on the biggest stage in world (yup, bigger than the world cup for me) football. Our chance for Munich, Barca, Madrid, Juve etc to rub shoulders with us. It's also a 'nowhere to hide' scenario for FSG; they simply have to splash the cash now.

Not to mention the cash we'd get for entering the competition and how Klopp tends to do really well in cup competitions. If he can go one game better than he usually does, we could surprise a lot of people.

BIG European nights .

Doesn't that float your boat Mick ?

Theres always the local clubs to you.
      You know the ones . The ones the supporters chop and change to as much as they change their underpants.
      « Last Edit: Apr 23, 2017 12:27:20 pm by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #77: Apr 23, 2017 08:39:22 pm
      May not have to be bothered after today's result .
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #78: Apr 23, 2017 10:32:01 pm
      I'm really not feeling good about this now...amazing what a Home defeat will do to your confidence. Haven't looked at the Table for fear of being sick at work but is it out of our hands now?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #79: Apr 23, 2017 10:34:15 pm
      I'm really not feeling good about this now...amazing what a Home defeat will do to your confidence. Haven't looked at the Table for fear of being sick at work but is it out of our hands now?

It is :( Utd if they win all their games would take over, and Arsenal could too on goal difference.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #80: Apr 23, 2017 10:36:58 pm
      It is :( Utd if they win all their games would take over, and Arsenal could too on goal difference.

:f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_steam: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:

FFAAAARRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKK
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #81: Apr 23, 2017 10:40:19 pm
      We'll finish 5th or 6th. Look at our season and how we constantly struggled every then and now. And we miss 3 key players. To have a chance at top4 we would need to win out, can't see it. Hate to piss against the wind here, but it also doesn't make sense to have demands and hopes that just doesn't match LFC's here-and-now capability.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #82: Apr 23, 2017 10:56:43 pm
      We'll finish 5th or 6th. Look at our season and how we constantly struggled every then and now. And we miss 3 key players. To have a chance at top4 we would need to win out, can't see it. Hate to piss against the wind here, but it also doesn't make sense to have demands and hopes that just doesn't match LFC's here-and-now capability.
      I love how we never see people like you post till things get tough then you crawl out of the woodwork to complain and have a moan. Why do you even support this team if all you are going to do is cry when we lose?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #83: Apr 26, 2017 09:38:09 am
      I love how we never see people like you post till things get tough then you crawl out of the woodwork to complain and have a moan. Why do you even support this team if all you are going to do is cry when we lose?

Exactly Right .

Losers themselves .

Still don't know what happened to Hollywood and Fried Egg who mysteriously evaporated into thin air (together ?) after causing turbulence on the forums.

Crawled back into their holes.

Two more of life's losers .
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #84: May 07, 2017 11:38:56 am
      To be honest I said just after crimbo that we would not get top4 with this squad. We needed to bring in 2/3 in the window and I thought injuries would cost us. Now it looks as if I was wrong as we have scraped just about enough points to make it. Arsenal blowing it has helped as well. Not in the bag yet but it's in our hands.

I agree top 4 doesn't excite, may be like a cup final or a big European night at Anfield but it's vital money wise and to bring in top talent.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #85: May 07, 2017 09:27:29 pm
      I think we are locked for 4th after ManU's loss today, ManC will make 3rd since they have an easy remaining schedule. CL - even qualification - should open doors that were closed so far. :) Remember what we could do before January...and we'll be even better/deeper next season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #86: May 21, 2017 04:38:01 pm
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #87: May 21, 2017 07:45:22 pm
      Well we made it into the top four, and over the course of the season we absolutely deserved it. We were a bit fortunate today with the penalty call IMHO, but we've had our share of bad luck and then some so it would take some sort of tosser to begrudge us.

I got a wee bit more into the whole thing again as we progressed, and got pretty fired up by the West Ham performance. Today once we'd calmed down a bit was good too, and I am hopeful we are beginning to hatch a plan to beat the bus parkers. That's what I take out of it anyway.

As for the Champions league, well I'll see if I can't get up to Liverpool for a game or two as I enjoy those nights. Realistically though we are unlikely to win it, and it is very likely to negatively impact on our league challenge. That said, providing there is a combination of Jürgen realizing that trying to get through a season with such a weak squad was a bit silly, AND the owners backing him properly in the transfer market, the impact on the league campaign may not be so keenly felt. If we DON'T though signicantly strengthen the squad, and I mean REALLY significantly, then we may find ourselves out of the Champions League quick smart AND struggling to keep up with much bigger spenders in the league.

I think it's a really good effort for the manager to get this squad into the top four with our injuries. He's proven he is THE man for the job, and he should be properly backed now, no more excuses and no more penny pinching.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #88: May 21, 2017 08:16:47 pm
      it is very likely to negatively impact on our league challenge.

It really depends on how we fare.  If we play well and win our midweek CL matches, that can help build confidence and form that carries into the league matches. 

It feels good to be back!!  Now it's up to Jürgen and the owners to flex some muscle and bring in the necessary players to consistently win domestic and European trophies. 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #89: May 21, 2017 08:22:43 pm
      It really depends on how we fare. If we play well and win our midweek CL matches, that can help build confidence and form that carries into the league matches. 

It feels good to be back!!  Now it's up to Jürgen and the owners to flex some muscle and bring in the necessary players to consistently win domestic and European trophies. 

I get your point about momentum and the like Harold, but I can't agree that it will do anything other than make it much harder in the league. If you're playing Away at Watford on the Saturday I cannot see how your chances are improved by a trip to Trabzonspoor on the previous Wednesday, even if you win the game in Turkey.

It has been proven now enough times IMHO to be considered a fact. Taking part in European competition makes it harder to win league matches, not impossible, but harder. The reverse obviously applies when you have no European games at all, as shown by us in the "nearly" season and Chelsea this time around. It is for me the one and only aspect of our season which leaves me a little disappointed, given we weren't in Europe this season we really ought to have been able to have a better go at the domestic cups.   
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #90: May 22, 2017 09:27:53 am
      Lovely to look down the Table and see The Arse, The Scum and the Bitters with sore necks looking up!!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #91: May 22, 2017 10:23:40 am
      I'm properly excited. First time I've been so excited since that BR season. My only worry is that we have a thin enough squad, so we clearly can't cope with CL footy as well as PL next season as it is, desperately need strengthening. But f*** yea I'm worked up about it.

Hoping Klopp will bring that kind of footy we were playing before xmas to CL and dazzle a few more players into signing for us

Quick Reply