Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Top four. I'm having trouble getting worked up over it, probably just me?

Read 9751 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Top four. I'm having trouble getting worked up over it, probably just me?
      Apr 14, 2017 08:55:44 am
      This isn't a pop at anyone who is, as I'm sure every die hard Liverpool fan really OUGHT to be rattling the sabres and urging the lads onto top four glory. It's just a comment on where I am at the mo, and to be honest aside from finishing above Man U which would be nice as a load get in the pub, I'm having trouble getting worked up about the whole thing.

I know it's "progress" and all that, and I know it ought to make us able to sign better players, but for some reason it just ain't doing it for me. Maybe it's stuff outside football that is the reason I don't know, just ignore me (shouldn't be too difficult ;D ).

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Top four. I'm having trouble getting worked up over it, probably just me?
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2017 09:06:57 am
      This isn't a pop at anyone who is, as I'm sure every die hard Liverpool fan really OUGHT to be rattling the sabres and urging the lads onto top four glory. It's just a comment on where I am at the mo, and to be honest aside from finishing above Man U which would be nice as a load get in the pub, I'm having trouble getting worked up about the whole thing.

I know it's "progress" and all that, and I know it ought to make us able to sign better players, but for some reason it just ain't doing it for me. Maybe it's stuff outside football that is the reason I don't know, just ignore me (shouldn't be too difficult ;D ).

Finishing in the top 4 is undoubtedly progress on the last few seasons, and COULD be a sign that we're moving on the right direction, but it isn't something to celebrate. We should be challenging at the top, we were for a while this season, the the now annual problem of squad depth screwed us over again! That's where I'm falling to see progress, and I last the blame solely on the owners.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2017 09:10:09 am
      I feel exactly the same Mick.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2017 09:14:55 am
      This session has been one of missed opportunities IMO.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2017 09:18:06 am
      It's a huge deal. At the start of the season the majority of people on here wanted us to finish top 4. This is LFC hitting goals for the first time in a long time which is good progress.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #5: Apr 14, 2017 09:23:47 am
      I'm quite happy about us being ahead of Arsenal and Man U to be honest.

Getting Champions League football is also big deal and I'd feel like the season were a bit of a disaster if we didn't make the top four.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #6: Apr 14, 2017 09:34:30 am
      If you can't get excited about LFC playing at the highest stage a place where we have had some of our most famous games then you are tired of watching LFC.

Take a break.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #7: Apr 14, 2017 09:58:48 am
      Wow.

Just wow.

Maybe if it was Brendan who had us in this position you will be telling all and sundry about the fantastic achievement it was to finish in the top 4 after finishing 7th the year before.

You're one bad apple mate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Apr 14, 2017 10:03:14 am
      Wow.

Just wow.

Maybe if it was Brendan who had us in this position you will be telling all and sundry about the fantastic achievement it was to finish in the top 4 after finishing 7th the year before.

You're one bad apple mate.

Dear oh dear. Sometimes it's better not to type a reply, better to just leave the comment someones posted so people can see it in all it's glory.

I'll take that option here.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #9: Apr 14, 2017 10:09:31 am
      If you can't get excited about LFC playing at the highest stage a place where we have had some of our most famous games then you are tired of watching LFC.

Take a break.

I kind of have been doing mate, certainly emotionally anyway. Didn't kill myself trying to get a sream for the Stoke game for example, was happy to get the score updates and watch the highlights. Haven't bothered too much coming on here either, just kind of taking a bit of a backward step right now. No doubt next season or sooner I'll have the bug again, but at the moment I'm firmly in that "it's only a game" stage which is rare for me.

Clowns like the fella above hardly wet my appetite to get back into it either it has to be said.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10: Apr 14, 2017 10:25:51 am

I kind of have been doing mate, certainly emotionally anyway. Didn't kill myself trying to get a sream for the Stoke game for example, was happy to get the score updates and watch the highlights. Haven't bothered too much coming on here either, just kind of taking a bit of a backward step right now. No doubt next season or sooner I'll have the bug again, but at the moment I'm firmly in that "it's only a game" stage which is rare for me.

Clowns like the fella above hardly wet my appetite to get back into it either it has to be said.

Ignore that weapon of a try hard Mick.

Football can get like that at times. However I'm eager to see us fight tooth and nail to get back into the CL. As well as challenging in Europe's most prestigious cup, I'm hoping we can lure some proper quality signings in and simply go from strength to strength. Although the Ox rumour does have me wondering about that last part.  :(

JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #11: Apr 14, 2017 11:06:37 am
      I sort of get what you are saying to be honest Mick, I felt exactly the same before Arsenal and couldn't get myself
      Up for it at all which is rare for me , but, and I think this is the crux, if we didn't have the start we did,would you be happy now?

Top 4 is progress without a shadow of doubt, and we have a manager good enough to lead us in Europe, I think the only doubt many of us have is transfers and if we can get enough quality in to challenge on all fronts!

Keep the faith mate xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Apr 14, 2017 11:12:27 am
      Sorry but I don't understand your position at all BigMick. We had a terrible January where we lost the chance of challenging for the league and were knocked out of 2 cups but since then we have regrouped and getting top 4 will be a great achievement and a sign of clear progress rather than the regression we enjoyed under TPM.
      And just to think we managed this without Benteke ;-)

If we get top 4 and have a good transfer window then I for one am really looking forward to next season, especially playing in the CL again.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #13: Apr 14, 2017 11:26:35 am
      Sorry but I don't understand your position at all BigMick. We had a terrible January where we lost the chance of challenging for the league and were knocked out of 2 cups but since then we have regrouped and getting top 4 will be a great achievement and a sign of clear progress rather than the regression we enjoyed under TPM.
      And just to think we managed this without Benteke ;-)

If we get top 4 and have a good transfer window then I for one am really looking forward to next season, especially playing in the CL again.

I get you Heimy,  I said in my original post that every dyed in the wool LFC fan ought to be excited about the top four, it's an excellent effort. This is even more the case when you consider we actually made a profit on transfers and it'll be only the second time in ten seasons or something that we'll have got there if we make it (and we will).

I know too that for modern fans the top four represents a holy grail, but maybe it's an age thing but I got more excited about our cup finals under Jürgen, our near miss under TPM, our Carling Cup win and beaten FA cup final under the king. The owners love top fours of course, but try as I might I just can't get excited about it.

No harm obviously to everyone else who can get worked up, I'm just being honest about my own feelings. As I say, it may well be other stuff we've got going on in all our lives, what with kids, families and the like.

Anyhow it'd be nice if we can do it. Like I said earlier, an excellent effort. BTW Jedthered might be onto something. If we were running on into fourth as opposed to holding onto it it might be a bit  less meh, who knows?
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #14: Apr 14, 2017 11:33:17 am

I always do this and that miserable month we had at the start of the year had me saying... F**k it, I'm not watching this sh*te next week.

But sure enough I simply can't miss a game haha even if we are getting battered I can't switch off . I'll gladly sit for a full match switching from stream to stream sometimes only catching 10 minutes of the match.

Footy really is like a drug to me . I'm dreading the summer with no football.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Apr 14, 2017 11:34:25 am
      Thats all a bit random Mick ?

I'll tell you when I felt I couldnt give a sh*t  ( and this is me supporting from the sixties ) was in fact that dark afternoon in 2015 when we played the Everton game.  I couldnt believe we had reached the depths that we had .
      Liverpool Football Club.
      With our history tradition legacy et al here we were  having been saved by the  Yankee dollar being managed by an untried, untested, naive ,rookie manager that obviously someone somewhere had decided had been a "good idea".

One who had been given the Get Out Of Jail Free Card by  Kenny and Comolli , they having bought the enigma that was Luis Suarez who drove us to the title.
      One we would have achieved if it hadn't been for naive ,inexperienced tactics and bizarre decisions.
      I digress. That failure was enough in itself.

Then within minutes of that game finishing came the news that he was gone ... and my hope came back.

I have as with many on this forum have lived many years with L.F.C. in my life. Since a kid.
      Its been there as my constant through my own life's path so it ain't going anywhere soon.

Successes and failures . Wins and Losses.  Like LIFE really.

Am I happy that we are talking about scratching around for 3rd or 4th place  FFS  ?
      No.
      Of course I'm not.

We exist to win titles and win trophies and that I am sure we will.

It also has to be accepted Mick that today's game and the money in it represents a different time and place to the old order.

A different place to 1971 when I stood in your pub and The Prince Of Wales in SW19 betting all the Gooners a Pound and a Pint to beat them in the Cup Final.

F**k Charlie George.
      Nearly bankrupted me.

That's one of a myriad of memories Mick.

Hold on to them mate . Remember.

"  at the end of a storm is a GOLDEN SKY "

Ed:   Do you know how many times I watched Bobby's goal from the Stoke game on repeat ?

Do you know the "hit"  that came from watching that .

Go Do. Then tell me you cant be arsed.  ;D
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017 01:52:48 pm by MIRO »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #16: Apr 14, 2017 11:36:49 am
      Champions League?

GIZ!

Klopp's pretty good against the so called better teams.

F***ing right I want it.

If we don't then there's always the Europa...

Know full well what I'd rather have.

Europe always gives us the best nights whether we win the whole thing or not. It's where we should be.

Give me more of those nights like against Dortmund, last year, every year please.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #17: Apr 14, 2017 11:42:55 am
      I always do this and that miserable month we had at the start of the year had me saying... F**k it, I'm not watching this sh*te next week.

But sure enough I simply can't miss a game haha even if we are getting battered I can't switch off . I'll gladly sit for a full match switching from stream to stream sometimes only catching 10 minutes of the match.

Footy really is like a drug to me . I'm dreading the summer with no football.

Sydney fc straight up fella, that should wet the whistle!  :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #18: Apr 14, 2017 11:57:17 am

Like I said above Mick its exactly how I've been feeling and for a while now.

I think the 'modern game' has taken its toll.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #19: Apr 14, 2017 12:22:58 pm
      I'm excited, want us to finish top 4 as all the noises coming out of the club is Klopp will have a big budget, being in the champions league will not only help him spend it, but will be an incentive for players to sign, maybe even stay.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20: Apr 14, 2017 12:44:49 pm
      Qualifying for Europe should be the minimum requirements every season, fourth would be a sign of progress but we shouldn't go all arsenal about it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Apr 14, 2017 12:47:11 pm
      If we get CL and get the likes of   quality players such as  Lacazette  ..  Brandt ..   Van Dijk   into the team for the first season back in  there , then our famous nights will all come back.

Back where we belong .

At the top table .
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #22: Apr 14, 2017 01:15:27 pm

I understand how you feel ‘Mick it is hard to work up some real excitement, and belief about Liverpool’s chances of finishing in the top four especially with our record for squandering chances and struggling against lower league opposition, and for most of the rest of this season that is exactly who we will face… and even when we have gone on the achieve second place and look to push on the following season, it has proven to be a false dawn in this millennium

2001/02 season under Gérard Houllier we finish 2nd and the following season 2002/03 we finish 5th
      2008/09 season under Rafael Benítez we finish 2nd and the following season 2009/10 it’s 7th
      2013/14 season under Brendan Rodgers it’ 2nd and then only to finish, (you guessed it), outside the top 4 again, in the 2014/15 season in 6th place

Do I believe that we can win the premier League again, under Klopp, Yes If he is backed without question, without restrictions and conditions…? Do I believe that this will happen under our current owner…? Not a chance in hell

Quick Reply