Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

UK General Election June 2017

Read 13369 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      UK General Election June 2017
      Apr 18, 2017 11:20:48 am
      General election to be called for 8 June. Needs to overturn Fixed Terms Parliament Act tomorrow for it to happen.

Would rather have had war with North Korea.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017 02:06:56 pm by RedPuppy »
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Re: UK General Election June 2017
      Reply #1: Apr 18, 2017 11:38:30 am
      General election to be called for 8 June. Needs to overturn Fixed Terms Parliament Act tomorrow for it to happen.

Would rather have had war with North Korea.

Could quite possibly mean war.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Reply #2: Apr 18, 2017 12:24:36 pm
      Going to be the most one-sided election since 1997.  Probably a similar kind of landslide.  Although... been some pretty mad voting results in recent times...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #3: Apr 18, 2017 12:54:18 pm
      Lib Dems to gain the protest vote.

They would be appealing to some, and many Labour voters I suspect. Only problem with them is, they want a referendum on the final Brexit deal.  ;D That really cannot happen going into these negotiations because if it did, the EU would use that Achillies heel and take a knife to it in negotiations.

May's opportunist. And Corbyn's stint as leader of the opposition has probably just been shortened by 3 years.

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017 01:07:17 pm by Beerbelly »
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #4: Apr 18, 2017 12:58:05 pm
      I may be overly worrying here but a rapidly called cabinet meeting for half past ten and half an hour later she's outside announcing an election in six weeks.

Shortly followed by the backing of all parties even though the tories are miles ahead in the (conveniently carried out) recent polls.

I'm not buying that it's got anything to do with brexit.

It just stinks of impending f**king doom.

I hope I'm wrong.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #5: Apr 18, 2017 01:22:16 pm
      I voted for Brexit purely as I wanted Cameron and Osbourne gone! I would like to stay in the EU too. Will be voting Lib Dems like 49% of the country.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #6: Apr 18, 2017 01:24:29 pm
      Lib Dems to gain the protest vote.

They would be appealing to some, and many Labour voters I suspect. Only problem with them is, they want a referendum on the final Brexit deal.  ;D That really cannot happen going into these negotiations because if it did, the EU would use that Achillies heel and take a knife to it in negotiations.

May's opportunist. And Corbyn's stint as leader of the opposition has probably just been shortened by 3 years.
      Brexit probably won't happen under Lib Dems, although if there is a Frexit there will be no point in staying in EU. I suspect the French Election will have an effect on Lib Dem support here.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,539 posts | 3144 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #7: Apr 18, 2017 01:42:54 pm
      If the strategy has been judged right it will see the end of Corbyn. On the downside; we will have to listen to that wishy washy dick, who leads the Lib Dems, an awful lot more, for the next 6 weeks. 😭
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Apr 18, 2017 01:50:38 pm
      I may be overly worrying here but a rapidly called cabinet meeting for half past ten and half an hour later she's outside announcing an election in six weeks.

Shortly followed by the backing of all parties even though the tories are miles ahead in the (conveniently carried out) recent polls.

I'm not buying that it's got anything to do with brexit.

It just stinks of impending f**king doom.

I hope I'm wrong.

Seriously worried about Labour. Hoping they can mitigate the damage but it will be very hard for them. You look at what has happened to Labour parties on the continent in recent elections like the Netherlands and see how big a problem leftist/social democratic parties have so I guess it's a problem that goes far beyond the issue of who is leading the party. I'm not a fan of Corbyn AT ALL but my dislike for him doesn't descend so much into wanting to see Labour tarnished especially when they are right that the election should be fought on issues like health, education and housing rather than Brexit.

Unless a really strong independent candidate comes forward the only option I have in my area, given the nature of FPTP, are the Lib Dems.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Apr 18, 2017 01:54:16 pm
      If the strategy has been judged right it will see the end of Corbyn. On the downside; we will have to listen to that wishy washy dick, who leads the Lib Dems, an awful lot more, for the next 6 weeks. 😭

I don't mind him but he's no Charles Kennedy!
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #10: Apr 18, 2017 02:01:59 pm
      Well, I'm not really surprised by May's move here.

She is a slippery, opportunistic witch, changing her colours more than a chameleon. Has anyone also noticed the quality of her clothes, and hair cuts, they are not cheap by any standard, plus remember those £1000 leather trousers, FFS don't think all this will not be on expenses.

Interesting to see what team Kipper do? will they oppose the Tory's or just add opposition in the none Tory seats.

Best outcome possible outcome for me would be a hung parliament as I can't see anyone overtaking the Tory's, what is for sure is that there is going to be a lot of #fakenews, lies, etc.

As an NHS worker for 30yrs plus, who has not had a pay rise in real terms, my take home pay is the same as it was 10yrs ago, despite going up 1 band, and yearly increments too boot, plus a 1.5% pay cut this April, I won't be voting Tory. Cu*ts

Stickyed Topic:
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017 02:07:44 pm by RedPuppy »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Apr 18, 2017 02:07:12 pm
      Well, I'm not really surprised by May's move here.

She is a slippery, opportunistic witch, changing her colours more than a chameleon. Has anyone also noticed the quality of her clothes, and hair cuts, they are not cheap by any standard, plus remember those £1000 leather trousers, FFS don't think all this will not be on expenses.

Interesting to see what team Kipper do? will they oppose the Tory's or just add opposition in the none Tory seats.

Best outcome possible outcome for me would be a hung parliament as I can't see anyone overtaking the Tory's, what is for sure is that there is going to be a lot of #fakenews, lies, etc.

As an NHS worker for 30yrs plus, who has not had a pay rise in real terms, my take home pay is the same as it was 10yrs ago, despite going up 1 band, and yearly increments too boot, plus a 1.5% pay cut this April, I won't be voting Tory. Cu*ts

Never trust anyone with leather trousers!

By the way, did you see the twitter storm before it was announced? People thought she was resigning on health grounds! Got to be honest that's what I thought as well!
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2017 02:13:30 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #12: Apr 18, 2017 02:13:11 pm
      Tory's 1/14, jeeze, thank god I can retire hopefully in 21 months.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #13: Apr 18, 2017 02:15:13 pm
      https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/854284694174785536

First Labour MP has announced he won't stand for re-election. I think we all know why.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #14: Apr 18, 2017 02:20:49 pm
      https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/854284694174785536

First Labour MP has announced he won't stand for re-election. I think we all know why.

'Cos he has his MP's pension, nice little seat on a board of directors,house paid for.... Oh and he's a coward.

F***ing hell.

He's 36, what a baby.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #15: Apr 18, 2017 02:27:10 pm

Cow, sorry I'm on one,going to cool off.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Apr 18, 2017 02:28:49 pm
      'Cos he has his MP's pension, nice little seat on a board of directors,house paid for.... Oh and he's a coward.

F***ing hell.

He's 36, what a baby.

If there's one thing the pro Corbyn and anti Corbyn factions of Labour agree on it is that both sides are actively willing to see the destruction of the entire party if it means that the other side is destroyed with it.

Mutually assured destruction.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #17: Apr 18, 2017 02:38:10 pm
      If there's one thing the pro Corbyn and anti Corbyn factions of Labour agree on it is that both sides are actively willing to see the destruction of the entire party if it means that the other side is destroyed with it.

Mutually assured destruction.

I know, it's as if they don't want power, may be that is it, they just like the easy buck.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #18: Apr 18, 2017 02:52:44 pm
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,557 posts | 393 
      Reply #19: Apr 18, 2017 02:58:07 pm
      Come on Nigel, come on home son.........
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #20: Apr 18, 2017 03:02:30 pm

Exclusive: Conservative poll showed party would "lose seats" to the Liberal Democrats
      Election strategist Lynton Crosby warned the party would lose MPs to the Lib Dems in an early election, sources say.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/04/exclusive-conservative-poll-showed-party-would-lose-seats-liberal-democrats

This was only two weeks ago. So it means they are quite happy to sacrifice a few seats here and there if it means hauling many from Labour? But what if Labour do better than expected?
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      Reply #21: Apr 18, 2017 03:07:48 pm

Exclusive: Conservative poll showed party would "lose seats" to the Liberal Democrats
      Election strategist Lynton Crosby warned the party would lose MPs to the Lib Dems in an early election, sources say.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/04/exclusive-conservative-poll-showed-party-would-lose-seats-liberal-democrats

This was only two weeks ago. So it means they are quite happy to sacrifice a few seats here and there if it means hauling many from Labour? But what if Labour do better than expected?

Unfortunately I do not believe anything, that 'poll' could be part of a plan, leaked in preparation for today.

What last, and this year has shown, is that the internet, social media, etc, can be used excellently to manipulate democracy.

On the author of that report:
      Sir Lynton Keith Crosby AO is an Australian political strategist who has managed election campaigns for right-of-centre parties in several countries.
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #22: Apr 18, 2017 03:27:46 pm
      Unfortunately I do not believe anything, that 'poll' could be part of a plan, leaked in preparation for today.

Not sure about the truth of it but i was told that the fella who runs the yougov polls is a tory boy.

I know they're supposed to be entirely impartial but it all depends who's doing the scrutiny.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #23: Apr 18, 2017 03:31:53 pm

What last, and this year has shown, is that the internet, social media, etc, can be used excellently to manipulate democracy.

On the author of that report:
      Sir Lynton Keith Crosby AO is an Australian political strategist who has managed election campaigns for right-of-centre parties in several countries.

That's true. Important to note that it isn't from any polling company like yougov or ComRes. We all know Crosby is a clever and devious individual what with his dog whistle campaigns. Has a long history of it in Australia. But the Lib Dems did take that Zac Goldsmith seat in south London a few months ago so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they will reclaim some of the ground.

Either or we're in for 6 weeks of sh*t slinging and echo chamber rubbish. I really can't be arsed. Time to tune out!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #24: Apr 18, 2017 03:45:10 pm
      Come on Nigel, come on home son.........

Can actually see him being drafted in by UKIP.

Can't believe i'm saying but i'll be voting the Tories, May has shown herself to be a strong leader so far imo, in Brexit she's put her own desire to remain below those who voted out, triggered article 50 and is already negotiating our exit, I feel were in safe hands to negotiate a good deal/exit, the following elections are fair game.

Labour, in such disarray they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, wouldn't want them anywhere near a Brexit negotiation never mind running the Country.

Democraps just ;D

Ukip as above, no where near ready to handle Brexit, run the Country.

Best of a bad bunch will get my vote.

Quick Reply