Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (78%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.4%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Apr 27, 2017 06:28:59 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32516 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Apr 23, 2017 07:24:59 pm
      I'm depressed as f**k right now,I love this team so much, it hurts to play like this and lose. Shouldn't be losing to crystal palace at Anfield!

I bet Chelsea said the same thing, the F***ing annoying thing is that you just know that now they are safe they will probably roll over against Spurs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #507: Apr 23, 2017 07:25:49 pm
      Really can't argue your angle on Moreno, is there a hidden winger in him ? He's fast, and he has a pretty good left foot,  do you need to defend it and midfielder?, Yes of course you do, but not as dearly as a defender.

erm, wouldn't you also need to be able to cross a ball and occasionally hit an open goal? ;-)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #508: Apr 23, 2017 07:28:03 pm
      erm, wouldn't you also need to be able to cross a ball and occasionally hit an open goal? ;-)

;D, true this. But you can't fault his attacking intent, that's what we need in our full backs vs the defensive teams and why Clyne & Milner fails so much vs them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #509: Apr 23, 2017 07:32:02 pm
      Quote from FL Red
      How would we strengthen a team by selling them a player that never plays because of injury?

And the fact that after this performance this is what you pick to harp about?

He said it is an idea. A poor idea, but that's all it is.

Thankfully, after winning the two away games, we could buy a mistake. This was it. It's not the end of the world, and the roof is not going to fall in. The others below us will drop their own share of points in the run in, so there's no need to panic just yet.

And even if we don't make top 4, we'll still be going back in Europe next season anyway.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #510: Apr 23, 2017 07:32:54 pm
      If you guys need Moreno to come on to realize how sh*t our fullbacks have always been, you probably just need to watch any other side in the top 6. This has been our issue this entire season and I believe it's a big reason why we have always struggled against the bus parkers. When teams park the bus in front of their goal, that leaves so much space down the wings for the full backs to attack. But we are never able to capitalize on that because of our incompetent fullbacks.

And god no, Moreno is NOT the solution.
      Crystal Palace didn't Park the bus, they attacked well and defended well, in fact they played as a team and dominated the game from minute 35 to 85
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #511: Apr 23, 2017 07:36:23 pm
      Crystal Palace didn't Park the bus, they attacked well and defended well, in fact they played as a team and dominated the game from minute 35 to 85

I'm not referring to Crystal Palace in particular, but yes, they did park the bus after they went 2-1 up, and we looked utterly clueless about how to penetrate their defense. We could have played 60 minutes more and wouldn't have scored.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #512: Apr 23, 2017 07:36:26 pm
      Hate to tell you this but, Moreno started out as a winger, but for whatever reason, it never worked out, so he was deployed as a left back as a result.

Pretty sure I heard that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #513: Apr 23, 2017 07:38:00 pm
      We have to sort this squad out next season whatever happens this season.

Our bench has been embarrassing all season, the squad is piss poor.

Needs sorting by whoever it is who holds the power on that front.

Klopp still unable to get us solid from set plays. Can't blame anyone for that but himself and the players.

Not enough desire to head/boot the ball clear.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #514: Apr 23, 2017 07:39:28 pm
      Woefull can't defend set pieces, one shot on target. It's the same old performance against teams who pack the defence, no plan b, no bench....and nothing changes,
      Klopp has to change it you could see what was going on. How many times has this happened and nothing's done ffs if we could defend set pieces we would be top of the table
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      Reply #515: Apr 23, 2017 07:41:12 pm
      We have to sort this squad out next season whatever happens this season.

Our bench has been embarrassing all season, the squad is piss poor.

Needs sorting by whoever it is who holds the power on that front.

Klopp still unable to get us solid from set plays. Can't blame anyone for that but himself and the players.

Not enough desire to head/boot the ball clear

Klopp has to sort this out or we're going backwards again
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #516: Apr 23, 2017 07:41:32 pm
      Glad I decided to miss the 2nd half at least I enjoyed my 5 a side!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #517: Apr 23, 2017 07:42:28 pm
      Hate to tell you this but, Moreno started out as a winger, but for whatever reason, it never worked out, so he was deployed as a left back as a result.

Pretty sure I heard that.

That's right.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #518: Apr 23, 2017 07:44:24 pm
      OK obviously bollocks and a sh*t game with only Coutinho playing well in attack, but if anyone had offered me 6 points out of 9 from  Stoke and West Brom away and Palace I would have bit their hand off. We still have a top4 place well within our grasp because barring some miracle there is no way that both Citeh and Utd will win all their remaining games but we need to get back on track and win the remaining games now.
      You may be right but you can bet your bottom dollar that Jose Mourinho will leave not every stone unturned but every grain of morsel in his quest for top four and produce a dossier on the likes of Spurs and Arsenal at an unprecedented level. Just like Chelsea found at last week.

This top four is not going to be a gimme,  we are going to have to earn it and Klopp and his coaching staff are going to have to up their game especially in the game management aspect. The last two home games it's been very poor.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #519: Apr 23, 2017 07:45:25 pm
      Glad I decided to miss the 2nd half at least I enjoyed my 5 a side!
      Did you win?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #520: Apr 23, 2017 07:46:30 pm
      I'm not referring to Crystal Palace in particular, but yes, they did park the bus after they went 2-1 up, and we looked utterly clueless about how to penetrate their defense. We could have played 60 minutes more and wouldn't have scored.

There's a difference between parking the bus and having an organised defence. Since we haven't had one in donkey's years, I can understand how you can get those two mixed up ;)

All banter aside, we need to accept that Palace played well and deserved their win. We never stepped it up a gear after scoring and frankly, our defence is neither organised nor good enough for us to be where we want to be. We also had the additional problem of, and not for the first time this season, a lack of clinical finishing. The guys we have are chipping in with what they should be chipping in with but we need a 30+ goals a season man to complete that front line, and we need a center back partnership that has a leader capable of organising those around him. That second goal summed up our back line.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      Reply #521: Apr 23, 2017 07:47:39 pm
      So many poor performances today all around the team only phil can hold his head high, maybe Migs the rest were woefull Milner tried, Clyne never got a cross in, Loveren poor, matip not great Gini poor, Lucas poor origi poor can poor utter sh*t we need big changes not statements like we don't need anyone
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #522: Apr 23, 2017 07:49:12 pm

Yeah last goal winner  :D
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #523: Apr 23, 2017 07:49:13 pm
      I thought they squeezed the game in key areas rather than Park the bus, Man Utd parked the bus earlier in the season with 0-0, Palace gotten themselves two goals.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 87 
      Reply #524: Apr 23, 2017 07:50:39 pm
      Shud have brought you on instead of Grujic,
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #525: Apr 23, 2017 07:51:44 pm
      Do we have a better left wing than him at the moment? Let's be honest, we don't. Are we going to get one 35 mil winger soon? Fat chance. So, what choice do we have except trying to get him up to speed and become a better quality winger. Grasping at straws, whatever you call that I live in the real world and I ain't gonna fantasize that FSG will get us a world class winger soon.  FSG has consistently proven that they will buy only one 30+ mil player a season, that's it, no more.

I'm afraid to dissapoint you by saying you can expect to still see Moreno comes next season because FSG will not buy a world class winger and let's get used to seeing Moreno on the wings. I'm not a great fan of Moreno and neither am I an agent of Moreno but looking at the spending power of our great owners will tell us so much of what to expect.

Acres of space on the left wing and how many times did our players tried to get behind them? Hardly, and it's torturing to see that. When Cou was in possession everyone in front looked back and trying to guess what Cou will do next instead of trying to breach their defence on the wings. TAA came on and tried to do that, at least he tried.

I'm not sure  where you are coming up with your ideas, but Moreno is as good as gone next year. This has nothing to do with FSG. Klopp has said  time and again this is his squad so if someone's here or not here, it's because  Klopp does or doesn't want them hear. Stop trying to obfuscate the issue. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #526: Apr 23, 2017 07:59:48 pm
      Luck was due to run out eventually. Migs saved us against Baggies and Stoke.

Can't always rely on our forward line to bail us out. Need better defenders simple.

A Top CB would be top of my summer list.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #527: Apr 23, 2017 08:03:11 pm
      The game was a microcosm of our season, at least in the games where we have failed.

- We had loads of the ball but lacked the penetration and ability to break down a 6 man defence, especially without Mane.
      - They scored a goal out of nothing having not had a kick for the first 42 minutes
      - We conceded again from a set piece
      - We had fook all on the bench so Klopp didn't even bother with a sub until they went ahead and then we got three rushed subs all made separately in a 5 minute period

In hindsight a point wouldn't have been the worst result in the world but the loss really does put a top 4 spot in jeopardy with the skum pushing hard and Arsenal likely to be rejuvenated after their win today. Winning our last four would do it but hand on heart does anyone think we will win them all? I don't. We need the others to slip up starting with a draw or a city win in the manc derby on Thursday night.

Biggest disappointment for me today was the lacklustre performance of Origi. The lad shows real promise at times but this game underlines why he will never be more than 3rd or 4th choice striker at LFC. He was simply woeful today. We desperately need a centre-forward. We'd be 9-10 points bee tear off if we had had one this season for my money.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #528: Apr 23, 2017 08:03:41 pm
      Disappointing today. It always seems to be one step forward and two steps backwards doesn't it.

Nothing wrong with the starting 11, it was the strongest side we could put out but I do think we should keep firmino down the middle and play origi out wide. Firmino is just ineffective on the flank and he causes much more problems down the middle than origi does. Origi is also more likely to put his head down and run at a full back than firmino too. It just makes sense to swap them in my opinion.

The game was flat and we've seen a lot of them this season. We struggle to play against sides with an organised defence and we could have played another 500 minutes of football but we would never have scored a goal in open play. The passing was far too slow and we were out of ideas very early on. I don't remember us troubling their goalkeeper which is quite shocking really. We're at home to Palace for gods sake.

Coutinhos free kick was a great goal. I thought we would go on and win the game by 2 or 3 then but it wasn't to be. I haven't seen any of the replays yet but from where I was sat and from what I remember, their equaliser looked like a really good goal. I say quite often on here that we are very rarely opened up and that we usually cause problems for ourselves when we concede but to be fair to Palace it was a very good and quick move. As I said I haven't seen any of the replays but it seemed they had quite a lot of space down our left side for their goal so maybe Milner was out of position? I also noticed when Milner went off and he got to the bench Klopp didn't give him a hand shake or hug but I'm probably thinking too much into things.

Palaces second goal however was just typical Liverpool. Whenever the opposition have a corner at Anfield I've got my head in my hands. You just know what's going to happen. Everybody does. There's a feeling around the ground. It was a sh*t corner but player still scores a header in the 6 yard box? Piss poor defending. Shocking.

We've thrown the game away today with a very poor show. You wouldn't think that these players wanted to play champions league football next season. Yes we've got injuries and yes the squad is thin but the 11 who played today were more than good enough to get past palace come on.

I'm not pressing the panic button just yet because the mancs and Arsenal have some very tough games coming up but please reds no more F**k ups. We need to win all of our remaining games. If we do, we will finish top 4. It's still in our hands.

Quick Reply