Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (78%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.4%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Apr 27, 2017 06:28:59 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32151 times
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Apr 23, 2017 08:04:29 pm
      These people who are saying that the three teams below us will drop points.  Well apart from playing each other I would put money on them all taking near maximum points. 

You need a certain type of character to grind results and we are not that team.

I can't believe at 1-1 and 65 minutes gone that there was no urgency and we were passing the ball sideways.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #530: Apr 23, 2017 08:08:49 pm
      I haven't seen any of the replays yet but from where I was sat and from what I remember, their equaliser looked like a really good goal. I say quite often on here that we are very rarely opened up and that we usually cause problems for ourselves when we concede but to be fair to Palace it was a very good and quick move. As I said I haven't seen any of the replays but it seemed they had quite a lot of space down our left side for their goal so maybe Milner was out of position? I also noticed when Milner went off and he got to the bench Klopp didn't give him a hand shake or hug but I'm probably thinking too much into things.

When you watch a replay your view on this goal will change. A complete gift from comical defending by all of Milner, Lovren (most especially) and Clyne not getting to the back post.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #531: Apr 23, 2017 08:11:50 pm
      Maybe if we had a plan b or even benteke still in our squad, his 13 goals this season could have helped us this season.

But he doesn't 'fit our style' and Palace are 'his level' apparently.

Our style is losing to sh*t teams.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #532: Apr 23, 2017 08:16:39 pm
      Urk.
      Disappointed, but not in meltdown, cause f**k, it's not a massive surprise, we've been down this road before this season plenty of times.
      And of course, it was either gonna be Benteke does his famous tree impression, or he hammers in a few nails, and it turned out to be the latter :( f**k sake, one of those things, irony is certainly not lost on the bearded bloke upstairs.

Just before Cou scored his worldy, I was about to put up a match update ... "side, to side, to side, to side, to..." nothing much was happening until he hit the net. So, llets hold onto this and try push on, nope Lovren has a brain fart and Cabaye puts in Mr mental coach for a good finish. Don't even want to describe the corner and the 2nd, me granny would've nodded that sitter in. Ok, he 'was in the right place', unmarked a yard out :(

Won't criticise Klopp for the first XI selected, cause just look at the bench. Still, the end of the match was a shambles, throwing on guys who haven't kicked a ball in anger for ages (how does Grujic always have a lost expression on his mug) we lost our shape and looked even less likely. Plus it was bit too late. Agree with Carra, that there's not many tactical switches, or sub changes, that Jürgen can hold up and say made a difference in turning a match (Firmino and Cou at half time aside, they should've started that one anyway). But then that arguement circles back to the bench etc...

Lovren, Can, Clyne, Milner, Gini and Origi weren't really at the races. Thought Firmino and Cou did well. Cou my MOTM for the goal and generally having a go. We had a few chances alright, but ballooned a good few over, definately not clinical today.

Do I think they'll be a big clearout come summer? No. How can there be? Paper is thicker that the thinness of our squad. At the min a keeper, Moreno, Studge and maybe Ings will go, and if they do, that's 4 bodies down already on what's already thin - we need bulking up bigtime if we want to have any hope of challenging in multiple competitions next season. And can't see a busload arriving.

Not out of it CL yet. Few twists and turns to come am sure. Shot a few toes off today, maybe a foot/lower leg, but the writings not on the wall. In saying that, the team almost picks itself till end of season given whos available, so just have to hope that the footballing deja vu that we'll be seeing in coming weeks (w.r.t. how we play) will still be enough to roll over who we've left to go up against.

And Studge and his f**king hip can take a running jump off a short plank...
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #533: Apr 23, 2017 08:18:18 pm
      Disappointing today. It always seems to be one step forward and two steps backwards doesn't it.

Nothing wrong with the starting 11, it was the strongest side we could put out but I do think we should keep firmino down the middle and play origi out wide. Firmino is just ineffective on the flank and he causes much more problems down the middle than origi does. Origi is also more likely to put his head down and run at a full back than firmino too. It just makes sense to swap them in my opinion.

The game was flat and we've seen a lot of them this season. We struggle to play against sides with an organised defence and we could have played another 500 minutes of football but we would never have scored a goal in open play. The passing was far too slow and we were out of ideas very early on. I don't remember us troubling their goalkeeper which is quite shocking really. We're at home to Palace for gods sake.

Coutinhos free kick was a great goal. I thought we would go on and win the game by 2 or 3 then but it wasn't to be. I haven't seen any of the replays yet but from where I was sat and from what I remember, their equaliser looked like a really good goal. I say quite often on here that we are very rarely opened up and that we usually cause problems for ourselves when we concede but to be fair to Palace it was a very good and quick move. As I said I haven't seen any of the replays but it seemed they had quite a lot of space down our left side for their goal so maybe Milner was out of position? I also noticed when Milner went off and he got to the bench Klopp didn't give him a hand shake or hug but I'm probably thinking too much into things.

Palaces second goal however was just typical Liverpool. Whenever the opposition have a corner at Anfield I've got my head in my hands. You just know what's going to happen. Everybody does. There's a feeling around the ground. It was a sh*t corner but player still scores a header in the 6 yard box? Piss poor defending. Shocking.

We've thrown the game away today with a very poor show. You wouldn't think that these players wanted to play champions league football next season. Yes we've got injuries and yes the squad is thin but the 11 who played today were more than good enough to get past palace come on.

I'm not pressing the panic button just yet because the mancs and Arsenal have some very tough games coming up but please reds no more f**k ups. We need to win all of our remaining games. If we do, we will finish top 4. It's still in our hands.
      It's only in our hands if Citeh beat Utd then we outscore Utd, but lots of tough games for both of us yet.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #534: Apr 23, 2017 08:21:50 pm
      Quote from HScRed1 link=topic=49624.msg2036061#msg20360
      [b
      A Top CB would be top of my summer list.[/b]

I honestly think better fullbacks would make the CB's we have look far better.  Neither Clyne nor Milner are top level fullbacks.  I think we need 6 quality players this summer to really challenge for league and cup honours -- RB, LB, CB, CM, WF, and ST.  With Moreno, Sakho, Lucas, Markovic, and Studge all looking like gonners it's hardly a seismic shift -- just replacing the outgoing players with ones who better fit the managers vision.  As long as the new recruits can do the job the boss tells them to then we should be in good shape.  Just need to grind out a few more wins to get top 4 so we can attract players from that top tier....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #535: Apr 23, 2017 08:25:10 pm
      Biggest disappointment for me today was the lacklustre performance of Origi. The lad shows real promise at times but this game underlines why he will never be more than 3rd or 4th choice striker at LFC. He was simply woeful today. We desperately need a centre-forward. We'd be 9-10 points bee tear off if we had had one this season for my money.

This. He does the basic forward play well such as, hold up play and working the channels, but what he is lacking is that strikers instinct, the movement & sharpness in the box. I am starting to side with the people who have been criticising Origi last few weeks and starting to see what they see now.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #536: Apr 23, 2017 08:29:16 pm
      Man. City v Man United

Arsenal v Man United

Tottenham v Man United

Surely they'll drop points won't they?

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #537: Apr 23, 2017 08:36:26 pm
      Yeah Crystal Palace are a bit sh*t aren't they, I mean beating Chelsea away and Arsenal is a walk in the park for any team, plus everyone knows that Stoke and West Brom are a piece of piss to beat, especially away!!!

Yes Crystal palace are a bit sh*t, that's why the are fighting at the wrong end of the table, West Brom and Stoke are also sh*t and for you to say otherwise in nonsense! Should we suck our own dicks for beating the smaller teams, or should we expect it?
      And I never mentioned Arsenal or Chelsea so what are you on about?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #538: Apr 23, 2017 08:39:26 pm
      Man. City v Man United

Arsenal v Man United

Tottenham v Man United

Sadly so will we...
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #539: Apr 23, 2017 08:40:21 pm
      Man. City v Man United

Arsenal v Man United

Tottenham v Man United

Two draws and a win (Arsenal) I reckon they'll get, we can't real afford anymore slip ups, but there's no guarantee they'll win the rest of their games either.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #540: Apr 23, 2017 08:45:13 pm
      Still think Origi should've come off for Woodburn, he offered nothing today.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #541: Apr 23, 2017 08:45:23 pm
      LFC goals for 70 goals against 42 Goal difference 28

Top scorers in the league thus far with a defensive record of an 8th placed team, to do worse than us defensively were looking at Watford in 10th.

MUFC goals for 50 goals against 24 Goal difference 26

For all United haven't been as prolific as us in front of goal, they've been miserly in defence and at just 6 points behind with two games in hand, they could easily over come our goal difference.

Just thankful their away fixtures are difficult.

We really need to address our defense whether that's individually or collectively but it needs sorting.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Crystal Palace
      Reply #542: Apr 23, 2017 08:46:28 pm
      Firmino as well, looks like he just missed clearing the corner before it got to the box

No surely not Firminho to blame or Can for  blatantly leaving Benteke. So that leaves Lo ren must have been his fault
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #543: Apr 23, 2017 08:46:38 pm
      This. He does the basic forward play well such as, hold up play and working the channels, but what he is lacking is that strikers instinct, the movement & sharpness in the box. I am starting to side with the people who have been criticising Origi last few weeks and starting to see what they see now.

It's just that lack of instinct that does my head in more than anything. I actually think his best position could well be a left side forward cutting in because his shots from out there are dangerous. He is a threat to go beyond a player and as you say can do the hold up play reasonably well at times. I will say that his hold up play is 'too safe', much like Clyne on the cross-field pass from Can. It's all well and good trapping a ball with your chest but when you've just been played in behind and you trap it back away from goal you spoil the pass, Origi has this terrible habit too, he takes the ball away towards the corner flag and comes out up the wing and I hear the crowd applaud and I'm ripping my hair out. That would be fine if it was Milner but your striker has to do something more creative at that point, once he gets in the box with the ball he should need shoving out of it not just voluntarily do the defender's job for him.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #544: Apr 23, 2017 08:49:18 pm
      LFC goals for 70 goals against 42 Goal difference 28

Top scorers in the league thus far with a defensive record of an 8th placed team, to do worse than us defensively were looking at Watford in 10th.

MUFC goals for 50 goals against 24 Goal difference 26

For all United haven't been as prolific as us in front of goal, they've been miserly in defence and at just 6 points behind with two games in hand, they could easily over come our goal difference.

Just thankful their away fixtures are difficult.

We really need to address our defense whether that's individually or collectively but it needs sorting.

Defence has been a massive problem for far too long. Should have been sorted by now.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #545: Apr 23, 2017 08:50:42 pm
      Seriously, everyone acting like because we lost this game it's all over. Did anyone really think we were going to win our remaining 5 games? I didn't think we would. In fact we may lose another. As long as we win 3 of the last 4 we should be fine. United and City both likely to drop points.

Some of you should just go ahead and go jump off that cliff you are standing on and save the rest of us listening to your moaning.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high and don't be afraid of the dark.
      What a load of bollocks.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #546: Apr 23, 2017 08:56:20 pm
      Still think Origi should've come off for Woodburn, he offered nothing today.

Don't think Origi was particularly good today, at all.
      But would I take him off for Woodburn? Or Grujic? Or Brewster? Unfortunately no.
      Maybe switch Origi into left front, something tactical. But thats about it :(
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #547: Apr 23, 2017 08:57:22 pm
      It's just that lack of instinct that does my head in more than anything. I actually think his best position could well be a left side forward cutting in because his shots from out there are dangerous. He is a threat to go beyond a player and as you say can do the hold up play reasonably well at times. I will say that his hold up play is 'too safe', much like Clyne on the cross-field pass from Can. It's all well and good trapping a ball with your chest but when you've just been played in behind and you trap it back away from goal you spoil the pass, Origi has this terrible habit too, he takes the ball away towards the corner flag and comes out up the wing and I hear the crowd applaud and I'm ripping my hair out. That would be fine if it was Milner but your striker has to do something more creative at that point, once he gets in the box with the ball he should need shoving out of it not just voluntarily do the defender's job for him.
      Let's just be honest . He's sh*te. No top team in the world would touch him with a shitty stick. Yet he's our go to guy. Players like Origi are the reason we have not won a league championship in nearly 3 decades.

I am sick to f***in death of poor footballers running around in a red shirt with people and managers saying these useless fucks are our future.

If we stick with sh*te footballers like Origi we are in for more if the same next season.

Jürgen    f***in lose the nice guy image will you and start cutting the f***in dead weight away.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #548: Apr 23, 2017 09:01:59 pm
      Don't think Origi was particularly good today, at all.
      But would I take him off for Woodburn? Or Grujic? Or Brewster? Unfortunately no.
      Maybe switch Origi into left front, something tactical. But thats about it :(

Thing is, we had 1 shot on target, F***ing 1! With Origi having a stinker, I see no harm in throwing on a hungry young lad looking to prove himself, might not have made a difference, but Origi never looked like scoring.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #549: Apr 23, 2017 09:05:12 pm
      OK obviously bollocks and a sh*t game with only Coutinho playing well in attack, but if anyone had offered me 6 points out of 9 from  Stoke and West Brom away and Palace I would have bit their hand off. We still have a top4 place well within our grasp because barring some miracle there is no way that both Citeh and Utd will win all their remaining games but we need to get back on track and win the remaining games now.
      And you think that we will win all of ours  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #550: Apr 23, 2017 09:10:50 pm
      The worst think for me was the lack of chances we created

I now expect defensive F**k so when they happen it ups hardly annoy me, I have resigned myself to the crap defending
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #551: Apr 23, 2017 09:18:33 pm
      We desperately need a centre-forward. We'd be 9-10 points bee tear off if we had had one this season for my money.

Goal scoring centre forwards are always a plus and I agree, Origi needs to be improved on but up top isn't where it's been lost. On last look we were the highest scoring team in the league.

Playing how we do whilst being able to defend well is what has frustrated me the most this season. Well, that, and the obvious lack of strength in depth that's been blindingly obvious to most yet ignored by others in senior, decision making positions.

Quick Reply