Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (78%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.4%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Apr 27, 2017 06:28:59 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32466 times
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Apr 24, 2017 05:50:30 am
      It should have been drilled into them before a ball was kicked yesterday that this lot like others raise their game against us,just like that 3 /3 game under Rodgers that was the game that f@cked us for title ,that should have been in team talk to raise their anger.It was also the day a certain top striker realised he was never going to win a title with the lack of class and effort around him.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #576: Apr 24, 2017 07:04:42 am
      It should have been drilled into them before a ball was kicked yesterday that this lot like others raise their game against us,just like that 3 /3 game under Rodgers that was the game that f@cked us for title ,that should have been in team talk to raise their anger.It was also the day a certain top striker realised he was never going to win a title with the lack of class and effort around him.

When you walk into these games as nonchalantly as we did yesterday; you'll more often than not come a cropper, like we usually do.

Story of our season.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #577: Apr 24, 2017 07:14:39 am
      Exactly.  Yes we struggled with shots on target today but we are the highest scorers in the league.  How many extra goals do people want us to try and score?  We scored a hundred odd a few seasons back and didn't win the league.

It's blatantly obvious to the majority of people that our pressing problem is at the back, and to some extent a centre mid.

If you struggle to keep clean sheets you will not win anything. 
      Doesn't appear to be blatenly obvious to those in charge though getting to a stage where our defending or lack of it is a complete joke ,
      Never car sick but felt that sicky feeling all the way home yesterday in fact it hasn't gone away yet .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #578: Apr 24, 2017 07:41:13 am
      That 2nd goal was completely and utterly pathetic. Firmino does his job properly and the corner doesn't beat the first man, Matip does his job and the ball is cleared and not missed, Lovren does his job and he gets to it before Benteke and then be good if Migs attempted something other than a star jump to keep it out.

Makers of our own mess and now taken top 4 out of our own hands and if we miss out on that then we can kiss goodbye to signing the likes of Van Dijk
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #579: Apr 24, 2017 08:30:33 am
      I haven't seen the match and I don't know if I have got the heart to watch it.If we were a cricket team people would be accusing us of throwing matches and taking bribes.We go on good runs and then we self destruct. Jürgen needs to have a good clear out of the playing staff  at the end of the season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #580: Apr 24, 2017 08:35:27 am
      Hurts even more today
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #581: Apr 24, 2017 08:44:14 am
      Jürgen needs to have a good clear out of the playing staff  at the end of the season.

I think the last thing we need is another 'clear out'.  We need some of the current first team players to be moved not necessarily out of the club but on to the bench. 

The people who need clearing out are the ones who are never fit enough or good enough to get on the bench ahead of Woodburn's and Brewster's!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #582: Apr 24, 2017 08:50:57 am
      We will beat watford, west ham, Southampton and lose to middlesborough
      ;D Yeah that would be typical Liverpool alright
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #583: Apr 24, 2017 09:14:53 am
      I think the last thing we need is another 'clear out'.  We need some of the current first team players to be moved not necessarily out of the club but on to the bench. 

The people who need clearing out are the ones who are never fit enough or good enough to get on the bench ahead of Woodburn's and Brewster's!

JD the general concensus is we need 3 or 4 quality signings to make us competitive if that is not a clear out you have different ideals to me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #584: Apr 24, 2017 09:21:31 am
      That midfield yesterday Can, Gini and Lucas against a organised defence lacked mobility and creativity, we can upgrade in all three of these positions so easily.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #585: Apr 24, 2017 09:28:57 am
      Nah Carra was miles beyond what we have a now. Just mentality wise he was a defender who hated conceding goals. This current lot are sh*t scared of putting their bodies on the line, and really thats all what defending corners is about. Attacking the ball before the opposition does.

It was only Carras last few years as he was getting too retirement age wherebhe became a little bit susceptible.

The likes of Matip seem to not be too arsed about attacking a ball coming in to the box. Thats in both boxes because he's half arsed at our corners too.

I don't agree with you on carra. I can't fault him for putting his body on the line as you say but as a footballer he was average at best. He caused many problems for us at the back, his partnerships with both skrtel and agger were shambolic and we conceded tons of goals from set pieces.

But anyway, we will debate on that another day.

I'm pleased you've mentioned matip. The general feel that I get amongst our support is that he has been a good signing, particularly at the start of his LFC career, but he is another one that I find bang average. Calm and composed perhaps but not very aggressive or strong which is what ultimately you need from your CB more than anything? No leadership qualities about him, just seems to plod along.

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on him now.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #586: Apr 24, 2017 09:33:06 am
      JD the general concensus is we need 3 or 4 quality signings to make us competitive if that is not a clear out you have different ideals to me.

And those 3-4 signings could easily go right down the spine of our team, never mind fb's and wide players!
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #587: Apr 24, 2017 09:40:20 am
      everything is out of our hands now, all the three teams below us can go above us with there games in hand.

we have been absolutely awful so many times this season that it would be stupid to think that there is not a fundamental issue with the squad, mentality, training etc.

whats more concerning is that we plan to address it with buying more of the same type of signings.

whats equally depressing is that management and the players come out and speak about the same issues were having and trying to correct week after week
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #588: Apr 24, 2017 09:51:50 am
      And those 3-4 signings could easily go right down the spine of our team, never mind fb's and wide players!

I cannot argue with that assessment.I think Bill Shankly would agree with you as well.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #589: Apr 24, 2017 10:15:13 am

I'm pleased you've mentioned matip. The general feel that I get amongst our support is that he has been a good signing, particularly at the start of his LFC career, but he is another one that I find bang average. Calm and composed perhaps but not very aggressive or strong which is what ultimately you need from your CB more than anything? No leadership qualities about him, just seems to plod along.

He certainly has not come back from his injury post Christmas as good. But yeah overall he has been decent like you say he doesn't seem to have any stand out strengths just does the basics reasonably well, not particularly vocal in organising the defence.

I think he will improve as he gets used to the pace and intensity of the EPL, probably not helped by the constant niggles and knocks he picks up, no idea what his injury record was like previously.

I think he needs a better partner than Lovren.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #590: Apr 24, 2017 10:31:12 am

I think he's a good footballer and a good defender. Like you say he's calm and composed, perhaps not quite as robust in the physicality department as he could be. And yesterday wasn't one of his better days IMO but for me they're way more rarer than what his partner often exhibits. He's similar to Agger, he's good on the ball, and like's the physio room. Funnily enough, I think a defender like Sahko would complement him rather well, to add to that lack of perceived aggression, and 'defend first' type mentality.

My only real concern with him is his the fact he doesn't have the consistency in him to stay injury free. By all accounts, it was touch and go with him starting again yesterday, as he hadn't trained for most of the week. These aren't the signs of a stable bedrock, but with the right player next to him I think we'd be okay back there. Seems more of a threat from set-pieces as well since Hyypia.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #591: Apr 24, 2017 10:45:13 am
      Just seen the highlights of that second goal again, what was Lucas doing vacating his zone from our most experienced player - shocking.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #592: Apr 24, 2017 10:52:20 am
      Benteke loves banging them in against us. We will NEVER learn to deal with him.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,741 posts | 882 
      Reply #593: Apr 24, 2017 11:14:19 am
      Pretty sure I heard the stat that we were unbeaten with the defensive partnership of Lovren and Matip..

So that's another downer from yesterday's game. Crystal Palace of all teams... at home... having gone in front... fuming!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 2817 
      Reply #594: Apr 24, 2017 12:29:25 pm
      Remember reading something last week about how many points we've picked up from losing positions but surely we're right up there in terms of dropping points from winning positions too?

West Ham, Bournemouth x 2, Palace, Sunderland. 3 of them were at home for fucks sake.

United, City and Spurs away we led too but couldn't see them out.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #595: Apr 24, 2017 12:55:19 pm
      Just seen the highlights of that second goal again, what was Lucas doing vacating his zone from our most experienced player - shocking.

Nobody was any worse than the worst player on the field yesterday.
      It really is impossible to pinpoint blame as to who was responsible for the debacle played out at Anfield against relegation fodder.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #596: Apr 24, 2017 01:01:31 pm
      Nobody was any worse than the worst player on the field yesterday.
      It really is impossible to pinpoint blame as to who was responsible for the debacle played out at Anfield against relegation fodder.

To be fair, since Sakho joined them, they've been one of the tougher sides to beat. In fact, I personally (don't know about  anyone else) had always circled this game as the one I  thought we might drop out of our  remaining games. There's really no reason that we don't run the table with the rest of our games (especially if we can get Lallana back).
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #597: Apr 24, 2017 01:08:59 pm
      To be fair, since Sakho joined them, they've been one of the tougher sides to beat. In fact, I personally (don't know about  anyone else) had always circled this game as the one I  thought we might drop out of our  remaining games. There's really no reason that we don't run the table with the rest of our games (especially if we can get Lallana back).

I must admit I thought away at Stoke would be very tough, away at WBA would probably be even tougher, that's without knowing our Pulis stat so to me those being away from home ranked slightly harder. It was definitely our toughest remaining fixture though and had we won I would have been supremely confident we'd make it over the line.

It's surprising what one result can do and how the doubt does set in. When looked at with clear reflection Palace are our bogey team, we were at the worst point we've been all season in terms of injuries and to me Jürgen was having an off day all things I doubt or can't be the case moving forward.

We're still favourites ahead of the Mancs to make top 4, let's hope the bookies have it right. Will more than likely require us to win at least 3 out of the last 4 though, but that's easily doable.

Quick Reply