Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (3.4%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (3.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      1 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      46 (78%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (3.4%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Apr 27, 2017 06:28:59 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32159 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Apr 24, 2017 01:11:58 pm
      To be fair, since Sakho joined them, they've been one of the tougher sides to beat. In fact, I personally (don't know about  anyone else) had always circled this game as the one I  thought we might drop out of our  remaining games. There's really no reason that we don't run the table with the rest of our games (especially if we can get Lallana back).

Got to say after watching the full 90 of yesterday's game your eternal optimism does seem a little misplaced.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #599: Apr 24, 2017 01:12:27 pm
      I must admit I thought away at Stoke would be very tough, away at WBA would probably be even tougher, that's without knowing our Pulis stat so to me those being away from home ranked slightly harder. It was definitely our toughest remaining fixture though and had we won I would have been supremely confident we'd make it over the line.

It's surprising what one result can do and how the doubt does set in. When looked at with clear reflection Palace are our bogey team, we were at the worst point we've been all season in terms of injuries and to me Jürgen was having an off day all things I doubt or can't be the case moving forward.

We're still favourites ahead of the Mancs to make top 4, let's hope the bookies have it right. Will more than likely require us to win at least 3 out of the last 4 though, but that's easily doable.

I agree, I'm still of the mind that if we somehow miss out, it's going to take a monumental choke by us at this point. Not that it can't happen, but still, it's not like we shouldn't rightfully be the favorites for that 4th spot. 
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #600: Apr 24, 2017 01:20:12 pm
      When you walk into these games as nonchalantly as we did yesterday; you'll more often than not come a cropper, like we usually do.

Story of our season.

Why then should they deserve our best support if this is the attitude they show? We're not repaid for what we give.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #601: Apr 24, 2017 01:28:32 pm
      Why then should they deserve our best support if this is the attitude they show? We're not repaid for what we give.

You don't support based on what you get, you support because you love the club. Supporting only based on what you get back is called being a fair weather fan or a glory hunter.

If that's  the case, go support Chelsea or Tottenham.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #602: Apr 24, 2017 02:35:43 pm

'Walk on through the wind
      Walk on through the rain
      Though your dreams be tossed and blown'.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #603: Apr 24, 2017 05:15:34 pm
      For those wondering: English teams could qualify for Europe next season as far down in the table as 8th.

Places 1-4 reach the Champions League as you all know. A Europa League winner also qualifies, which could be a 5th-placed Man United. The Europa League qualifying spots for next season are 5th, the FA Cup winner and the League Cup winner.

But that would mean Man United's Europa spot is vacated, and if Arsenal finish top 4, the FA Cup winner spot would be vacated. As stated in the rules below, both of those slots are taken by highest position in the league (not already qualified). So it would be 6th, 7th and 8th in the Premier League getting the three spots. If United doesn't win the Europa League it would only be two out of 5th, 6th and 7th (depending on where League Cup winners United finish in the league)..

"A Europa League place is vacated when a team qualifies for both the Champions League and the Europa League, or qualifies for the Europa League by more than one method. When a place is vacated, it is redistributed within the national association by the following rules (regulations Articles 3.03 and 3.04):[3]

When the domestic cup winners (considered as the "highest-placed" qualifier within the national association with the latest starting round) also qualify for the Champions League, their Europa League place is vacated. As a result, the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions qualify for the Europa League, with the Europa League qualifiers which finish above them in the league moved up one "place".

When the domestic cup winners also qualify for the Europa League through league position, their place through the league position is vacated. As a result, the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions qualify for the Europa League, with the Europa League qualifiers which finish above them in the league moved up one "place" if possible.
      For associations where a Europa League place is reserved for the League Cup winners, they always qualify for the Europa League as the "lowest-placed" qualifier. If the League Cup winners have already qualified for European competitions through other methods, this reserved Europa League place is taken by the highest-placed team in the league which have not yet qualified for European competitions."
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #604: Apr 24, 2017 08:10:49 pm
      For anyone bemoaning our lack of options from the bench, unfortunately there's only one person to hold responsible for this. The manager! He's had the January window to strengthen for the run in and refused to use it. Exiling our best CB in Sakho and having to use clowns like Lovren and Klavan. I could go on, but I won't. However, my previous optimism has dissipated and I think we'll miss out on CL qualification now. Utd have been hit with injuries too, but they can bring on players like Mhikitaryan and Rashford and get the job done.

Big spending in the summer window? No chance! Our targets will head elsewhere now.

Very cutting but so true

scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #605: Apr 24, 2017 08:51:07 pm
      This game has shown the dissapointment by the fans,never seen so many empty seats before the final whistle for a long time,also on this forum only 54  bothered to vote in the MOM poll.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #606: Apr 24, 2017 08:53:04 pm
      This game has shown the dissapointment by the fans,never seen so many empty seats before the final whistle for a long time,also on this forum only 54  bothered to vote in the MOM poll.

I for one don't vote a MotM when we lose. That's like a participation trophy if you ask me.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #607: Apr 24, 2017 09:06:22 pm
      I for one don't vote a MotM when we lose. That's like a participation trophy if you ask me.

Not necessarily. At least you can see who bothered to put a shift in.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #608: Apr 24, 2017 09:06:45 pm

Are you surprised?

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #609: Apr 25, 2017 12:18:16 am

Agree with this here, left literally on the final whistle, half those already around me had fu**ed off about five minutes earlier, one of the easiest exits yesterday.

Couldn't be arsed voting myself as I thought we were that grim on Sunday, would probably say at a push Coutinho.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #610: Apr 25, 2017 12:27:56 am
      Agree with this here, left literally on the final whistle, half those already around me had fu**ed off about five minutes earlier, one of the easiest exits yesterday.

Couldn't be arsed voting myself as I thought we were that grim on Sunday, would probably say at a push Coutinho.

:(
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #611: Apr 25, 2017 01:18:52 am
      It really F's me off when the players come out after a loss stating "we're targetting the maximum points from the remaining fixtures". As if the objective was any different before the game. You deserved to lose as you didn't play well enough as a team. Shut your mouth, and put in a shift on the training pitch, and you can open your gob again once you've put in a performance to earn a result.

wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #612: Apr 25, 2017 08:51:57 am
      It really F's me off when the players come out after a loss stating "we're targetting the maximum points from the remaining fixtures". As if the objective was any different before the game. You deserved to lose as you didn't play well enough as a team. Shut your mouth, and put in a shift on the training pitch, and you can open your gob again once you've put in a performance to earn a result.

well said....thought it was only me who thought that
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #613: Apr 25, 2017 09:13:12 am
      well said....thought it was only me who thought that

I'd like to think we all feel that way...

scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #614: Apr 25, 2017 07:21:16 pm
      Exactly read Cann saying similar words ,thats why it should have been drummed into them how sore that palace 3/3 game was and use it to inspire them to victory.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #615: Apr 27, 2017 10:08:55 am
      I got over the massive dissapointment. One step forward 2 steps back. The script is all to familiar, one brilliant performance then next deflated. Let's ask ourselves an honest question, are some of the players even good enough to be in the squad at the moment. Inconsistent performances is perhaps a sign of an average team.

I would only keep Cou, Matip and Mane in the squad for next season and it will be a massive massive revamp, but FSG simply do not have the dosh or they are not willing to spend to build us into a force we were before. They will most probably sell Cou and get someone less effective than Cou. The usual brouhaha will be there comes the end of the season on how FSG will splash the cash to buy world class players but in realty it's only all talk. 5 years, yes 5 years I've seen enough of what FSG can and will do and I've resigned to accept that they will never make us into a force to be reckoned with. Look at your revenue FSG it's lying on the 10th spot if I recall correctly, your revenue is dwindling and the more you spend on the effort in buying average players your club becomes less attractive to newer generation of fans and your fan base is going to erode more. You don;t get slotted into Sunday games for no reason. These are tell tale signs.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #616: Apr 27, 2017 04:19:19 pm
      Shocking defending in this game has cost us big time.

We should have won the game, at worst a draw, I give credit to them for the first goal was some brilliant passes leading upto it.

But the 2nd goal was a shocker.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #617: Apr 28, 2017 11:31:56 am
      I got over the massive dissapointment. One step forward 2 steps back. The script is all to familiar, one brilliant performance then next deflated. Let's ask ourselves an honest question, are some of the players even good enough to be in the squad at the moment. Inconsistent performances is perhaps a sign of an average team.

I would only keep Cou, Matip and Mane in the squad for next season and it will be a massive massive revamp, but FSG simply do not have the dosh or they are not willing to spend to build us into a force we were before. They will most probably sell Cou and get someone less effective than Cou. The usual brouhaha will be there comes the end of the season on how FSG will splash the cash to buy world class players but in realty it's only all talk. 5 years, yes 5 years I've seen enough of what FSG can and will do and I've resigned to accept that they will never make us into a force to be reckoned with. Look at your revenue FSG it's lying on the 10th spot if I recall correctly, your revenue is dwindling and the more you spend on the effort in buying average players your club becomes less attractive to newer generation of fans and your fan base is going to erode more. You don;t get slotted into Sunday games for no reason. These are tell tale signs.

I'd definitely keep Firmino and possibly Can too
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #618: Apr 28, 2017 01:10:43 pm
      We created our own problems with losing this one. Our result meant that Mourinho could go to City and play out a draw and keep it in their hands.

If we did our job against Palace even to the extent of playing out a draw ourselves, United would have had to play to win and in all probability go on to lose it.

Where Mourinho has always excelled live him or hate him is knowing the result he needs and executing a game plan to more often than not get it.

Usually at our expense too.

We're second favourites for 4th now and we only have ourselves to blame. For a long time and i'd say since Rafa left, we find ourselves being on the wrong end of pragmatism.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #619: Apr 28, 2017 06:07:01 pm
      We created our own problems with losing this one. Our result meant that Mourinho could go to City and play out a draw and keep it in their hands.

If we did our job against Palace even to the extent of playing out a draw ourselves, United would have had to play to win and in all probability go on to lose it.

Where Mourinho has always excelled live him or hate him is knowing the result he needs and executing a game plan to more often than not get it.

Usually at our expense too.

We're second favourites for 4th now and we only have ourselves to blame. For a long time and i'd say since Rafa left, we find ourselves being on the wrong end of pragmatism.

Damage was done against Bournemouth a poor team who we have failed to beat not once but twice this season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #620: Apr 29, 2017 07:53:31 pm
      So Burnley who can't buy an away win practically all season, go to palace, one prem place below them and win 0-2.
      So how the F**k can we lose against this sh*te, and not need massive rebuilding ?

Quick Reply