Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

Read 12508 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
      Apr 26, 2017 09:36:28 am
      Liverpool plotting summer move for Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon
      Liverpool will step up their pursuit of Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon at the end of the season.

The Reds have regularly scouted the gifted teenager this term and Jürgen Klopp is keen to beat off competition from a host of Premier League clubs to secure his signature.

Klopp believes the England under-19 international would be the ideal new recruit to compete with vice-captain James Milner for the full-back spot.

The erratic Alberto Moreno, who has been on the fringes of Klopp's squad all season, is set to be off-loaded this summer and strengthening in that area is crucial.

Liverpool have been linked with a £8million move for Hull City left-back Andy Robertson but Sessegnon is their preferred option.

The youngster has proved a huge hit in the Championship since making his senior debut for Fulham last August. He has scored seven goals in 28 appearances during an impressive breakthrough campaign.

essegnon is currently involved in a promotion push with the Cottagers, who occupy the final play-off spot with two matches remaining as they eye a return to the top-flight.

He doesn't turn 17 until May 18 when he could sign the first professional contract of his career.

If he signs the contract then Liverpool would have to pay the Cottagers a hefty transfer fee as opposed to just compensation for his development if he was only a scholar, but either way the Reds intend to make their move for one of English football's most exciting young talents.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-plotting-summer-move-fulhams-12944494
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Re: Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
      Reply #1: Apr 26, 2017 01:38:54 pm
      Is he a better LB than Milner? If so then bring him in. If not, then go find a better LB than Milner. Simples.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #2: Apr 26, 2017 01:43:51 pm
      Obligatory Youtube highlight reel. Kid doesn't look half bad, always hard to say when they are in a crap side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxl4m6bJMj4
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #3: Apr 26, 2017 07:01:17 pm
      1 in 4 for a 16 year old playing first team football at championship level is pretty impressive for a striker let alone a left back!

Really think he's worth a punt.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Apr 26, 2017 07:28:17 pm
      1 in 4 for a 16 year old playing first team football at championship level is pretty impressive for a striker let alone a left back!

Really think he's worth a punt.

He's played left wing a few times this season too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #5: Apr 26, 2017 08:14:34 pm
      Maybe young Ryan can teach Jimmy how to play the LB role!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #6: Apr 26, 2017 10:18:31 pm
      Obligatory Youtube highlight reel. Kid doesn't look half bad, always hard to say when they are in a crap side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxl4m6bJMj4

Not seen much of him at all and judging on this there's still plenty of work to do. Dribbling looks average a bit more bumbling his way through than finesse, shots look ordinary and defensive work looks ok.

Does appear to have a lot of natural abilities though and to have played as much as he has in the championship will be good grounding for the lad. Only 16 then you can see the potential to improve but truth is he has to by quite a long way.

Understudy to someone better than Milner (a lot better) and I could understand it, understudy to Milner and I think again it would be a mistake to go into the season with Milner as starting LB.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #7: Apr 26, 2017 11:11:18 pm
      Not seen much of him at all and judging on this there's still plenty of work to do. Dribbling looks average a bit more bumbling his way through than finesse, shots look ordinary and defensive work looks ok.

Does appear to have a lot of natural abilities though and to have played as much as he has in the championship will be good grounding for the lad. Only 16 then you can see the potential to improve but truth is he has to by quite a long way.

Understudy to someone better than Milner (a lot better) and I could understand it, understudy to Milner and I think again it would be a mistake to go into the season with Milner as starting LB.

Agree.

As well as Milner has done there at times this season I want a proper LB.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2017 08:09:01 am
      Maybe we could get two left backs? First choice and Ses as understudy?

Though I think he's happy with Milner, and to be fair he has played pretty well.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2017 02:50:41 pm
      Agree with most of what has been said above, but surely we need someone with more experience now not someone we can groom into a position. We had a benchful of youth on Sunday but Jürgen chose to leave most of them sitting there.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2017 08:17:13 pm
      Is he a better LB than Milner? If so then bring him in. If not, then go find a better LB than Milner. Simples.

Jürgen has been pretty clear - Milner WILL be the LB next season and the incoming one will be his shadow!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2017 11:18:16 pm
      I fail to see how a youngster will learn off a player who isnt even a natural in their position.

Whats Milly gonna tell him?

"Run forward, cut inside and hit the first man with every cross"

"But I'm left footed"

"Oh....well...erm..."

???

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2017 11:21:44 pm
      I fail to see how a youngster will learn off a player who isnt even a natural in their position.

Whats Milly gonna tell him?

"Run forward, cut inside and hit the first man with every cross"

"But I'm left footed"

"Oh....well...erm..."

???

Agreed, makes absolutely no sense. He can learn off Milner in a professional sense for sure, but he wouldn't have to be back-up to do that Milner could just be in the squad. Can learn off many of our lads like that, Lucas, Hendo etc.

I just really hope they've got it wrong, thought they same at the start of this season to be honest and Milly slowly won me around a little but in the past few months he's completely lost me again. A terrible fit for the position that I think has ran out of steam too.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2017 11:28:36 pm
      Agreed, makes absolutely no sense. He can learn off Milner in a professional sense for sure, but he wouldn't have to be back-up to do that Milner could just be in the squad. Can learn off many of our lads like that, Lucas, Hendo etc.

I heard one of the commentators mention how poor Fulham are defensively in his last match.. or maybe match before, anyway, hasn't Sessegnon been part of that defensive back 4/5 unit? I wonder if that could be the reason why he is usually played further forward too. Perhaps Milner could actually teach him a thing or two defensively!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2017 11:38:43 pm
      I heard one of the commentators mention how poor Fulham are defensively in his last match.. or maybe match before, anyway, hasn't Sessegnon been part of that defensive back 4/5 unit? I wonder if that could be the reason why he is usually played further forward too. Perhaps Milner could actually teach him a thing or two defensively!

That's encouraging.

Must admit, I'm just not feeling this one.

Let's just splash some cash go back to Dortmund for Guerreiro and the days of the bus parkers will be an awful lot more miserable.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2017 11:42:45 pm
      That's encouraging.

Let's just splash some cash go back to Dortmund for Guerreiro and the days of the bus parkers will be an awful lot more miserable.

I am wondering if Lucas Digne is worth a look at too? With it being a world cup year, I suspect he'll want to go out on loan or be sold.

I wonder if they would do a player swap for Moreno :O
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2017 11:45:38 pm
      I am wondering if Lucas Digne is worth a look at too? With it being a world cup year, I suspect he'll want to go out on loan or be sold.

I wonder if they would do a player swap for Moreno :O

Call me racist but I've had enough of any defenders from France after this weekend :D

In truth mate I don't really know if he's good or not, you think he is?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #17: Apr 28, 2017 12:19:24 am
      Call me racist but I've had enough of any defenders from France after this weekend :D

He is decent going forward, better than Milner and Moreno at least, and I am sure he is better defensively than Sessegnon and Moreno!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #18: Apr 28, 2017 12:27:08 am
      That's encouraging.

How good is Guerreiro as an actual left back though? He starts so frequently in different positions that it's hard to judge him in one.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: Apr 28, 2017 12:39:47 am
      How good is Guerreiro as an actual left back though? He starts so frequently in different positions that it's hard to judge him in one.

Yeah, he's not bad mate. Don't get me wrong he's not Paolo Maldini but he's ok. Certainly an upgrade on Milner in defensive areas but the big win is in going forward he's an absolute beast. Exactly what Coutinho needs on his outside, exactly what this team needs to compliment our strengths and enhance our chances.

Teams know that if they give us width and allow our full-backs to have the ball that we're absolutely no threat to anyone. This for me has been the biggest issue in all of our games when facing the bus parkers and it's exactly where we must concentrate on destroying them. So yes we'd improve noticably in defence but going forward we'd be terrifying. Get Sessegnon to learn from him because in my mind that's how this Klopp style advances. We're never going to be a 1-0 pragmatic side and our strengths in possession don't lend themselves to playing soak it up football, we starve teams of the ball but we're just not a consistent threat when they don't come to compete and this lad would change that imo.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20: Apr 28, 2017 12:50:37 am
      He is decent going forward, better than Milner and Moreno at least, and I am sure he is better defensively than Sessegnon and Moreno!

Have to go with you on this one mate, when I've watched Barca and he's been playing I've hardly noticed him but you do kinda get drawn to their front 3 :D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: Apr 29, 2017 01:25:00 pm

It's not a question of being good enough though, it's another example of taking the cheap option. Story of life under FSG. Go for the inexperienced option and hope we can develop him into a world class player, only for him to leave for a Champions League side in two or three years and for no other reason than it saves a few bob.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #22: Apr 29, 2017 01:50:06 pm
      Get guerreiro from dorfmund, and dembele, and pulisic and weigl and aubemeyang and reus of course

Quick Reply