Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (7.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      80 (69.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Adam Lallana
      14 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: May 05, 2017 09:58:01 pm

Watford 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28522 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Watford 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: May 01, 2017 11:38:56 pm
      Very happy with that win, was a bit disappointed that the team invited pressure at the end but we were in good control, apart from that final shot on the crossbar bloody Hell that was scary.
      Anyway another vital 3 points towards CL. if we beat Southampton on Sunday then I think we might be almost home and dry as I think Manure will draw with Arse and Citeh lose to Palace.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #599: May 01, 2017 11:44:26 pm
      Before that shot, referee missed a clear foul as Matip was barged out of the way as the ball fell to him. Would have been a horrible injustice for it to have gone in.

Of course if we had simply scored a 2nd goal....

No matter, onward and upward.

Pretty sure Racer meant the one that went off the bar from Lallana's volley mate.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #600: May 01, 2017 11:51:11 pm
      I thought Lovren and Matip were good.

I suppose my vote wasn't the right one to make but I gave it to Lallana.

Slotted right back in.

I thought Lallana (who I also voted for) was excellent, especially given he's just returned from a month out. He showed what we've been missing.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #601: May 02, 2017 12:16:11 am
      Crap game of football but what a fantastic result that was. Its a game we tend to lose - away at a physical yard dog team in which we are big favourites. I wasn't too confident going into this one so to see us come away with the points and put us in an incredibly strong position (one hand on CL football now) is just superb.

Talking about the game, I thought we were poor tonight in terms of going forward and if it wasn't for that one moment of sheer brilliance from emre can then we would haven't scored or won the game. We really do struggle to break teams down who sit behind the ball and this needs addressing in the summer. We need a player or two who can create something out of nothing and win you games like the way emre won it for us tonight. We need more match winners. The lack of pace/width is also very noticeable too.

We are obviously very good at pressing and counter attacking but unless the other team fancy a go at us then this can't be done. When the opposition sit back and let us have all of the possession then we are mostly clueless. There have been too many games like that this season and it's something Jürgen needs to work on.

That said, I was impressed with our defensive side tonight. We switched off for one second (which is all it takes) when Watford smashed the bar in injury time but in general we defended very well tonight and the lads deserve a lot of credit for that.

Thought Lallana had a big impact on the game but i don't know how anybody can vote for any other player than emre can for motm. He's just scored goal of the season in a tough must win game.

It would take a massive F**k up from us now to drop out of that top four. We are very nearly there. Hopefully Arsenal United is a draw on Sunday and we beat Southampton.

Well done lads. Great win that. 

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #602: May 02, 2017 12:21:39 am
      Crap game of football but what a fantastic result that was. Its a game we tend to lose - away at a physical yard dog team in which we are big favourites. I wasn't too confident going into this one so to see us come away with the points and put us in an incredibly strong position (one hand on CL football now) is just superb.

Talking about the game, I thought we were poor tonight in terms of going forward and if it wasn't for that one moment of sheer brilliance from emre can then we would haven't scored or won the game. We really do struggle to break teams down who sit behind the ball and this needs addressing in the summer. We need a player or two who can create something out of nothing and win you games like the way emre won it for us tonight. We need more match winners. The lack of pace/width is also very noticeable too.

We are obviously very good at pressing and counter attacking but unless the other team fancy a go at us then this can't be done. When the opposition sit back and let us have all of the possession then we are mostly clueless. There have been too many games like that this season and it's something Jürgen needs to work on.

That said, I was impressed with our defensive side tonight. We switched off for one second (which is all it takes) when Watford smashed the bar in injury time but in general we defended very well tonight and the lads deserve a lot of credit for that.

Thought Lallana had a big impact on the game but i don't know how anybody can vote for any other player than emre can for motm. He's just scored goal of the season in a tough must win game.

It would take a massive f**k up from us now to drop out of that top four. We are very nearly there. Hopefully Arsenal United is a draw on Sunday and we beat Southampton.

Always a good analysis from you! 100% agree.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #603: May 02, 2017 12:31:40 am
      For all the crap that gets thrown at Lucas ( and has been over 10 years)  he provided the assist again  tonight for the goal.

In fact thats the third in his last five appearances.

MOTM joint with Can.   Great Performance.

Three points in the bag.

Nine points now to get .

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017 12:39:33 am by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #604: May 02, 2017 12:34:35 am
      I agree, lets forget the 2nd phase and just blame Lucas for everything.

Like this post .
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #605: May 02, 2017 12:35:33 am
      Fantastic goal and all round good performance from Emre.

Gave Motm to Lucas however.

I thought his composure in the first half was exceptional and Watford couldn't get anywhere near him.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #606: May 02, 2017 12:36:39 am
      The one were Lucas won just about every single aerial duel in the midfield against the biggest side in the league. The one were his passing was fantastic including an assist.

Just because Can scored a wonder goal doesn't buy him the MotM award imo, it's about the contribution over the entire 90 minutes and for me Lucas was the most dominant player out there.

and Luke nails it .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #607: May 02, 2017 12:40:59 am
      Very happy with that win, was a bit disappointed that the team invited pressure at the end but we were in good control, apart from that final shot on the crossbar bloody Hell that was scary.
      Anyway another vital 3 points towards CL. if we beat Southampton on Sunday then I think we might be almost home and dry as I think Manure will draw with Arse and Citeh lose to Palace.

Like when Lovren was hitting a square pass to Matip, in the FORWARD THIRD, and they were the two most advanced Liverpool players. What was THAT all about? Serenity Now! Just going to look at the table to get my mind off of it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #608: May 02, 2017 01:01:38 am
      Gotta be goal of the season.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #609: May 02, 2017 01:59:50 am
      For all the crap that gets thrown at Lucas ( and has been over 10 years)  he provided the assist again  tonight for the goal.

In fact thats the third in his last five appearances.

MOTM joint with Can.   Great Performance.

Three points in the bag.

Nine points now to get .

Good points, but I still gave it to Can because his contribution was the match winning one.  He also has come in for his fair share of criticism this season, but has really improved in recent weeks. 

No question.  That was one of the best goals I've ever seen!  The angle the ball was played in from made it so difficult to get the right contact, but he hit it absolutely perfectly!!  Take a bow son 😎
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #610: May 02, 2017 03:28:38 am
      WHAT A DAMN RELIEF!!!

couldnt watch the game due to work and that crazy anticipation when i was catching the highlights was almost heart attack worthy heh

we won. 3 huge points.  lets do this reds!!!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #611: May 02, 2017 04:09:56 am

It would take a massive f**k up from us now to drop out of that top four. We are very nearly there. Hopefully Arsenal United is a draw on Sunday and we beat Southampton.

Spot on.

Massive 3pts that was, credit to the lads for digging in.

Can's goal. Wow. Our best goal of the season? It's definitely up there, I can't think of too many better.
      TorontoRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #612: May 02, 2017 04:24:06 am
      Big win that.
      While we definitely didn't look like a Champions League side, that performance takes us one step closer to it. Watford didn't look like much of a team and a proper Liverpool sides really should have put 3 or 4 pass them. At the end of the day, we got what we came for.
      Thought Lallana was influential, especially considering he's only coming back from injury. He and Can were the source of Liverpool's attacking threat throughout. Mignolet, although not often bothered, was strong when needed. Despite some poor distribution, he instilled confidence as he has in recent game.
      As for the criticism of Origi and some posters' praise of Danny, I do see where the sentiment comes from. However, Sturridge came on late in the game, at a time when Watford's defence was much thinner as they were seeking an equalizer. While Divock was sloppy and did not put in a great performance, placing Danny on a pedestal based on these factors may be unrealistic.

Time and again, LFC's deficiencies seem obvious and can hopefully be addressed with a Champions League Spot. A proper striker (like all top 4 contenders possess), wingbacks which can threaten offensively (like all top 4 contenders possess) and a deeper squad with options on the bench (this year's champions have options like Fabregas, Willian and Batshuayi on the bench...). A proper CB and #1 challenger would also come in handy  :roll:
      With all that said, good win lads. Let's hang tight and put either one of those dirty Manc teams (preferably Man U and their shameful manager) out of commission.
      F***ing right lads. YNWA.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #613: May 02, 2017 07:21:11 am
      For our next game I would like Jürgen to swap firmino with origi. That's another game now where firmino has been a passenger. He's not involved when we play him out wide but he makes himself a nuisance for the other team when we play him down the middle.

I'd understand Jürgen sacrificing him if we had a top forward in the team instead but we don't, origi has offered us nothing the past few games.

I quite like origi, I always like players who try hard and give it their best, that's all we can ask, and for me he falls into that category. Even though he is a centre forward I don't think it'll do us any harm him playing on the right. He will work his socks off and help clyne out. He could play a role in the way dirk kuyt did for us.

But firmino has to be down the middle next game. It's like playing with ten men when he's on the wing for us he's just a ghost. We are so much more of a threat when he's in the centre too.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #614: May 02, 2017 07:37:07 am
      For our next game I would like Jürgen to swap firmino with origi. That's another game now where firmino has been a passenger. He's not involved when we play him out wide but he makes himself a nuisance for the other team when we play him down the middle.

I'd understand Jürgen sacrificing him if we had a top forward in the team instead but we don't, origi has offered us nothing the past few games.

I quite like origi, I always like players who try hard and give it their best, that's all we can ask, and for me he falls into that category. Even though he is a centre forward I don't think it'll do us any harm him playing on the right. He will work his socks off and help clyne out. He could play a role in the way dirk kuyt did for us.

But firmino has to be down the middle next game. It's like playing with ten men when he's on the wing for us he's just a ghost. We are so much more of a threat when he's in the centre too.

I thought they interchanged somewhat.

Remember the old adage about "fluidity" being bandied about around here?

I agree though, he was a passenger... again.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #615: May 02, 2017 08:21:22 am
      Woke up, put the t.v. on, first thing I see is Can's goal on Sky Sports

Nice  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #616: May 02, 2017 08:37:16 am
      We were very comfortable (I thought) until that big hallion hit the crossbar late on.

Our midfield three, although not overly inventive, were in command throughout; the centre backs, very assured. In all honesty it was probably as comfortable a one nil win as you'll see.

All in all a fine team display... tossed a coin between Matip & Lucas... sorry Lucas. 😎
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #617: May 02, 2017 08:46:26 am
      Don't want to sound negative as 3 pts was the most important thing last night but against a sh*t Watford side we were very poor imo.
      We really are stumbling across the Top 4 line rather than as you would expect a team in our position bossing games esp against the dross.

The midfield last night as I suspected was extremely unbalanced how often did any of our midfielders making any runs into the box to support the front 3, the only time it happened was with Can scoring his wonder goal. The other time was Matip playing a 1-2.
      For a attacking midfielder Gini has been extremely poor the last 4-5 games, does the basics ok but you want a bit more than that, whete is the penetrating passes or even driving runs into the box?

Origi seems completely off form alrhough last night was a tough game against the Orcs of Watford, just a shame Sturridge can't stay fit for more than a week.

Just need to make sure the players are wrapped in cotton wool for the next 3 games as the club in they're short sightedness have created the situation where there is zero options to replace tired legs or even freshen things up.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #618: May 02, 2017 09:09:59 am
      Just got off a flight from Glasgow to London. So happy!!!! F***ing yes
      Is that with the win, Being back in London, or Getting out of Glasgow?  :f_whistle:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #619: May 02, 2017 09:19:12 am
      Is that with the win, Being back in London, or Getting out of Glasgow?  :f_whistle:

Ha ha. Nah I love Glasgow, where my mums from. Can just scored before we boarded so it was nice to touch down and see a win.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #620: May 02, 2017 09:39:22 am
      great win,another nervy finish...but all i wanted was the 3 points.

another 3 points on sunday please

Quick Reply