Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Simon Mignolet
      9 (7.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      80 (69.6%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Adam Lallana
      14 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: May 05, 2017 09:58:01 pm

Watford 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28462 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: Watford 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: May 03, 2017 12:04:33 pm
      In all honesty I don't rate Can, and to say it any differently now I am just being a hypocrite. That goal is truly world class and no one can take it away from Can but what I saw that I really like about Can in this game was that he ran and ran and ran, eventhough he's slow, as if he's the only one that really care about this game and he ran deep into the opposition box and was rewarded with a goal.

Perhaps, what was in his mind was that ok, the front line is not trying hard enough let me do it my way. 

What worries me more is not the slowness of Can, but the dysfunctional trio of Firminho, Origi and Wijnaldum. I did not see much of Wijnaldum in the game. Mostly slowing down the game with the side and backpasses. The trio cannot expect someone to bail them out every week and they have to be 100% committed in the next 3 games and make things happen.

They were like strangers to each other, didn't Klopp and the coaches tried out some combos in training if they intend to use them together on matchday or that they were just deployed onto the pitch and what happens after that is at random?

As for Origi, I think he fares better as a substitute than a first choice striker. he was a like a headless chicken throughout the game. Chasing shadows and always late to close down the space in front and most of the time outside the box when he was supposed to be inside.

Ok, Studge being Studge as soon as he was on the pitch, you got the feeling he's gonna create something out of nothing. I don;t mind Origi and Studge taking each half.

Let's stay focus lads and don't screw up the remaining games.
      « Last Edit: May 03, 2017 05:58:34 pm by redkop63 »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #645: May 03, 2017 12:11:07 pm
      You can't seriously be happy with what you are watching can you?

Third in the Prem and very strong possibilities of qualifying for the CL, hypothesis apart - what the F**k are you watching wum?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #646: May 03, 2017 12:15:07 pm
      You can't seriously be happy with what you are watching can you?

F**k off ya tw*t!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #647: May 03, 2017 12:28:21 pm
      I'm happy with the points haul and I understand that with the other injuries we've endured (are enduring) and the thin squad we have (which Jürgen takes responsbility for) we aren't going to be the same team we were early on. We just need to grind out wins and improve over the summer and we should be fine.

Jürgen like Kenny does hold his hand up, they were given the job and feel it is purely their remit to acquit themselves to the best of their ability- the character of both dictates that looking for what they regard as a blame-sharer would be an unacceptable admission of failure.

There lies proof of their credibility and professionalism, it is to be hoped Jürgen Klopp is not treated as disgracefully as Kenny Dalglish by those who lack the qualities mentioned. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #648: May 03, 2017 12:35:25 pm
      That's four turgid performance's on the bounce but 9pts out of 12 isn't bad. On the other hand , we don't press anymore , play football anymore and Jurgens game management in the last 4 games could of cost us all those games.

What i am watching now is truly awful and doesn't fill me with confidence for next season .

We have had plenty of games in recent years where we have played well and not won, if we play badly for months on end then be concerned but stop going out of your way to wind people up
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #649: May 03, 2017 12:57:42 pm
      That's four turgid performance's on the bounce but 9pts out of 12 isn't bad. On the other hand , we don't press anymore , play football anymore and Jurgens game management in the last 4 games could of cost us all those games.

What i am watching now is truly awful and doesn't fill me with confidence for next season .

If I got that depressed watching Liverpool, I'd give it up and find something else to do!!

Job done in my book, three points, european qualification back in our own hands and a F***ing great goal by Emre,
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #650: May 03, 2017 01:00:50 pm
      That sort of performance is exactly what has Chelsea on top of the league. I don't understand what all the negativity is about veni vidi vinci.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #651: May 03, 2017 01:55:59 pm
      We have had plenty of games in recent years where we have played well and not won, if we play badly for months on end then be concerned but stop going out of your way to wind people up
      But we have been playing badly for months on end . The Watford game is more of the same , a dysfunctional midfield , a defence that rarely ( if ever ) plays as a unit , play breaking down easily , poor concentration and the team as a whole unable to retain the ball effectively .

Palace punished our slackness , Watford , West brom , Bournemouth and Stoke didn't but they easily could have.  Southampton and West Ham could beat us and no one would be genuinely surprised .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #652: May 03, 2017 01:58:26 pm
      That sort of performance is exactly what has Chelsea on top of the league. I don't understand what all the negativity is about veni vidi vinci.
      Chelsea don't play anything like that , they don't give the ball away easily , their defence can withstand pressure without looking vulnerable . They are a team , we are not.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #653: May 03, 2017 02:06:47 pm
      Chelsea don't play anything like that , they don't give the ball away easily , their defence can withstand pressure without looking vulnerable . They are a team , we are not.

You seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown - take a break from football.

And as a bye product give us all a break as well.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #654: May 03, 2017 02:08:10 pm
      Just got in from last night have we ? Where did you wake up this week ? Down the Docks with a sore bum ?
      I'm only joking , your insight as always is cutting edge.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #655: May 03, 2017 02:09:04 pm
      You seem to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown - take a break from football.

And as a bye product give us all a break as well.
      No , i'm good.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #656: May 03, 2017 08:43:41 pm
      "Puts us back in the box seat (whatever that is)"
      Sore," The box seat" was one of the best in the theatre. It was only surpassed by the Royal Box.

Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,164 posts | 509 
      Reply #657: May 03, 2017 09:37:05 pm

Easy peasy mate, if Chelsea are that good, sod off and go and support them. Stop bitching about the way we are playing, a win is a win, and if it takes turgid football to get them across the line and a place in next years Champions league so be it.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #658: May 04, 2017 09:56:15 am

Easy peasy mate, if Chelsea are that good, sod off and go and support them. Stop bitching about the way we are playing, a win is a win, and if it takes turgid football to get them across the line and a place in next years Champions league so be it.
      I thought the point of this thread is to talk about how we played ? Turgid football will catch up with you and it's not as if we're playing sh*t football on purpose , we're just playing sh*t football !

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #659: May 04, 2017 10:24:35 am
      I thought the point of this thread is to talk about how we played ? Turgid football will catch up with you and it's not as if we're playing sh*t football on purpose , we're just playing sh*t football !

True, the football's not been great.  But the difference between this spell without Mane, and the one after Christmas is that we have been getting the points somehow.

So actually that does fill me with more confidence for next season, there are signs that occasionally now we can win ugly. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #660: May 04, 2017 12:14:12 pm
      True, the football's not been great.  But the difference between this spell without Mane, and the one after Christmas is that we have been getting the points somehow.

So actually that does fill me with more confidence for next season, there are signs that occasionally now we can win ugly. 

Absolutely. Put a fully fit Mane and Lallana back in the squad, plus a few new additions and I think we should be just fine.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,532 posts | 3903 
      Reply #661: May 04, 2017 12:35:08 pm

100%!!!
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #662: May 04, 2017 02:47:07 pm

I don't think what we've been doing could actually be called ' Winning ugly ' though. It  certainly has been ugly but we never at any point look comfortable.

I think ' Winning ugly ' applies to the odd game being ground out but that's not what we are doing. It's constant haphazard football , poor game management ( IMO ) combined with the team looking like strangers and unable to put 4 decent passes together.

If this team threw  this away and , say , lost their next two games , nobody would be surprised . That , for me , is where there is a deep rooted problem at the club , if you simply do not know what you are going to get next , then you cannot trust the majority of these players.

If we do fall over the line and get CL , then i would be worried that it would paper over some serious cracks involving players who would be deemed to be good enough. Only then to see this ugly pattern repeat itself next season.

The Defence needs gutting for me , Clyne , Lovren , Mignolet , Klavan and Moreno  sold or maybe , in the case of Clyne & Lovren , made squad players.

We need a top Striker and a top Midfielder or it's more of the same for me. The idea of Jürgen thinking " Well this team finished 3rd so all we need is maybe a LB and a Striker " fills me with dread. This team needs serious work on it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #663: May 04, 2017 03:05:28 pm
      I don't think what we've been doing could actually be called ' Winning ugly ' though. It  certainly has been ugly but we never at any point look comfortable.

I think ' Winning ugly ' applies to the odd game being ground out but that's not what we are doing. It's constant haphazard football , poor game management ( IMO ) combined with the team looking like strangers and unable to put 4 decent passes together.

If this team threw  this away and , say , lost their next two games , nobody would be surprised . That , for me , is where there is a deep rooted problem at the club , if you simply do not know what you are going to get next , then you cannot trust the majority of these players.

If we do fall over the line and get CL , then i would be worried that it would paper over some serious cracks involving players who would be deemed to be good enough. Only then to see this ugly pattern repeat itself next season.

The Defence needs gutting for me , Clyne , Lovren , Mignolet , Klavan and Moreno  sold or maybe , in the case of Clyne & Lovren , made squad players.

We need a top Striker and a top Midfielder or it's more of the same for me. The idea of Jürgen thinking " Well this team finished 3rd so all we need is maybe a LB and a Striker " fills me with dread. This team needs serious work on it.

If you believe the papers, Jürgen already realizes that this team needs serious work, at this point he's just trying to nurse us over the line so that we can bolster appropriately in the summer. Time will tell.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #664: May 06, 2017 01:58:16 am
      The performance wasn't great, but who cares?

We won 1-0, it's our third away win in a row, it's our third clean sheet since Christmas, and our 4th win in London from 5 visits with one remaining. Not that bad, is it?

Watford is always a horrible trip, and we haven't won there in 10 years. But in case anyone is interested, the mancs lost there, and Chelsea needed to come from behind with two goals in the last 10 minutes to win there this season. Does it matter now?
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #665: May 06, 2017 04:49:35 am
      win ugly or win beautiful... it is still 3 points at the end of the day.  if the team wins ugly but consistenly i think alot of fans will take it.

the year the mancs won with rvp pretty much doing all the heavy lifting.  they won ugly for months and months. now no one really remembers except for the trophy in the cabinet.

lets win some trophies

Quick Reply