Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (3.4%)
      Joel Matip
      18 (31%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (15.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (5.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      7 (12.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      6 (10.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 11, 2017 03:24:45 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29546 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: May 07, 2017 08:57:25 pm
      Stumbling to champions league - if we get there
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #484: May 07, 2017 09:12:23 pm
      It's nothing more than a guess. The keeper shouldn't have ahope if the pen taker has his wits about him.
      At 6ft 14 you make your mind up which way to dive and go for it flat out. If you've guessed right, there's a chance the ball will hit you. If you guess wrong, you are fu**ed.
      With Milner's history, some to the left, some to the right, Forster tried to unsettle him and from then it was clear he was going to do one or the other.
      Milner should have been smart enough to counter that with the ball going straight down the middle, about 4 ft off the ground.
      I was screaming at the telly cause it was so obvious what was needed after the wind ups.

It wasn't a great penalty but it wasn't bad. It would have beaten nine out of ten keepers. The problem was the same problem we've faced in every match we've lacked Mane in. We lacked width, lacked pace, lacked penetration and lack predatory instincts which ultimately lead to a lack of goals.

At no point in the game did we once stretch Southampton's back lines - and yes, lines because they defended with two banks. There were instances where the ball was shot at distance and no one was following it in on the off chance the keeper might fumble it. Firmino was coming far too deep for the ball leaving us effectively no movement up front because Origi has all the mobility of a lamp post at the moment. Worst of all was the two players that could have made a difference sat on the bench for 70 minutes, but even when they came on, we were still too narrow.

Yes, perhaps Milner could have done better with the penalty but that would just provide a distraction from the deep structural problems this Liverpool side have right now. People keep saying how we're the league's top scorers but you have to look at that closer. After twenty games, which was basically prior to January, we'd scored forty eight goals. Since Jan we've only managed twenty three which is a significant drop off and shows that one of our biggest problems is scoring goals. We need major surgery in the Summer, surgery that involves a 20+ goals a season striker because if we'd had one today, we'd not have been relying on a penalty to win the game.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #485: May 07, 2017 09:23:55 pm
      Well for a team that some thought have nothing to play for,they again kept our proud record of not scoring again against them in place     .Lower teams now know how to play against us tactically and get results.Find it quite pathetic we have this top 4 in our hands only to throw it away again week in week out, also          fed up hearing about rivals       have a harder run in than ours etc when we should be dealing with our own games.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #486: May 07, 2017 09:50:38 pm
      Crawling across the line for 4th (if we make it). Some days I wish we just employed a bloody big battering ram of a forward to mix thinks up, oh wait, we had one and sold him to Palace....
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #487: May 07, 2017 10:34:38 pm
      Haven't posted here in a long time but I'll throw my feelings into the hat. We are improving, we do have issues, we are not the finished article BUT we are third in a very very competitive league. If we finish in top four it won't be a celebration but it will be progress. Summer signings and a fit Mane and I really believe we will push on again next year.

Let's stay positive and hope for 6 more points, then we can all look on it as a season of progress and improvement:-)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #488: May 07, 2017 10:47:26 pm
      Missed the game and, for the first time I can recall, I'm not fussed and I'm not going to catch it later.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #489: May 07, 2017 10:55:14 pm
      Haven't posted here in a long time but I'll throw my feelings into the hat. We are improving, we do have issues, we are not the finished article BUT we are third in a very very competitive league. If we finish in top four it won't be a celebration but it will be progress. Summer signings and a fit Mane and I really believe we will push on again next year.

Let's stay positive and hope for 6 more points, then we can all look on it as a season of progress and improvement:-)

It's just so frustrating watching a team chasing top 4 playing with no urgency. Watching Origi was painful and where the F**k was Firmino and Wijnaldum? Did they even play? It's the business end of the season for F**k sake.

Let's face it, we have not been playing well for quite a while and I'm genuinely worried about the West Ham game. They're going to play with so much freedom and confidence now they're safe...Hopefully that plays into our hands and frees up space for the front three but I ain't holding my breath.
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #490: May 07, 2017 11:13:43 pm
      Welcome back... Can say I agree with you as far as the Improvement is concerned, recently had this conversation with another poster here claiming the same thing since BR... we a;so finished in a CL spot under BR, and The Europa league were we made it to the Finals was also achieved by BR... Think that overall we at times we look better on the field but we are still pretty much average

Yep for sure I agree, we are average. However if we are average and still make top 4 I will take that into the summer transfer window with Klopp in charge :-)
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #491: May 07, 2017 11:16:10 pm

Welcome back... Can say I agree with you as far as the Improvement is concerned, recently had this conversation with another poster here claiming the same thing since BR... we a;so finished in a CL spot under BR, and The Europa league were we made it to the Finals was also achieved by BR... Think that overall we at times we look better on the field but we are still pretty much average

Let's face it, we have not been playing well for quite a while and I'm genuinely worried about the West Ham game. They're going to play with so much freedom and confidence now they're safe...Hopefully that plays into our hands and frees up space for the front three but I ain't holding my breath.

Been thinking the same thing for weeks
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #492: May 07, 2017 11:19:58 pm
      Yep for sure I agree, we are average. However if we are average and still make top 4 I will take that into the summer transfer window with Klopp in charge :-)
      Sorry mate was have trouble posting...

I agree I to would take it... But we need to start bring in quality player each window, instead of young players with resalable value
      RedKalel
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts | 23 
      Reply #493: May 07, 2017 11:27:51 pm
      Sorry mate was have trouble posting...

I agree I to would take it... But we need to start bring in quality player each window, instead of young players with resalable value

Defo is an issue, Mane for me is the perfect example. Add quality rather than quantity. Our midfield is the issue for me. I really like Can. He has grit and fire but he needs a player along side him that can split a defence with a pass. Lucas is not that man. Xabi Alonso:-) ... What I mean is a quality midfielder, a quality lb and rb and a striker. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't always have to be about spending 30k on a Southampton player. If we add the right players rather than just buying squad numbers and as you said youth for the sell on value.

But I try stay positive, and hope for a fantastic striker that will sit into our starting 11 than 8 players to fill out the squad.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #494: May 08, 2017 12:08:28 am
      What a team of cu*ts Southampton are. I was only on here a couple of days ago praising them saying I really like them as a club and the way they play football. They always seem to play the game how it should be played, always showing attacking intent - but not today.

From the first minute they set up to get a draw. Putting bodies behind the ball and wasting time. In normal circumstances you might expect this from a smaller club visiting anfield but considering they are sitting comfortable in mid table and have nothing to play for I was quite surprised that they took this approach. Why not have a go and make a game of it?  This had potential to be a really entertaining game that could have gone either way (they have proven they can beat us by playing football) but their tactics just spoiled it. It was one of the most boring games of football I've ever seen and I'm still wondering what they get out of it.

There is nothing to say about the game that I haven't already said for the past few months. We struggle to break teams down who park the bus. There is a real lack of pace in the team. We have no creativity in the middle of the park. There is no urgency about our play, we have tons of possession but the passing is way too slow, by the time we come out of our half with the ball the other team are all in position with every men behind the ball.

Origi offered very little again today and firmino is ineffective playing out wide. We may as well play with 9 men. Jürgen needs to drop origi or play him on the right, putting firmino in the middle.  Firmino has caused havoc all season playing down the middle so why take him out to accommodate origi? I'd understand if it was Costa or aguero but no offence to origi, he isn't that good!

Thought wijnaldum was awful today. He was a ghost. Not involved at all and he was the worst player on the pitch for me. Neither are blessed with creativity but to be fair to can and Lucas they at least tried to get involved in the game but wijnaldum barely touched the ball today. Very disappointing. Im expecting a big reaction from him for the West Ham game.  I think in general we looked tired though and perhaps our early season pressing game is taking its toll.

I've no idea how the top four is still in our hands. It seems like we are doing our very best to give it away to somebody else. We have a tough trip to West Ham and we need 3 points, otherwise we're relying on other teams to slip up. To be honest, I don't fancy arsenal going to both Southampton and Stoke and getting 6 points nor do I fancy United going to Spurs and getting 3 points either. But even so, don't we can't worry about them, we need to do the job ourselves, so go to West Ham and F***ing put 5 past them.

Come on reds we are nearly there don't throw it away now!!

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #495: May 08, 2017 12:41:44 am
      Ahhh F**k it.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #496: May 08, 2017 12:47:39 am
      Well for a team that some thought have nothing to play for,they again kept our proud record of not scoring again against them in place     .Lower teams now know how to play against us tactically and get results.Find it quite pathetic we have this top 4 in our hands only to throw it away again week in week out, also          fed up hearing about rivals       have a harder run in than ours etc when we should be dealing with our own games.

This
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #497: May 08, 2017 12:49:52 am
      Been at a wedding all day so only just watched the rerun. Not quite sure how Studge and Lallana have stayed on the bench so long. Wijnaldum again missing and Firminho and Origi just not cutting it. Blame Milner all you want but Puel has sussed us once again and we have neither the nous , Width or tactical acumen to overcome 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #498: May 08, 2017 12:55:14 am
      DIRE ....... absolutely dire .
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #499: May 08, 2017 01:33:40 am
      I think we need bring one or two players in summer like mane that make things happen against teams park bus
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #500: May 08, 2017 09:29:16 am
      DIRE ....... absolutely dire .

It was worse than that to watch Skip.For all the passing we did it was done at half pace and Southampton had all the time in the world to snuff us out.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #501: May 08, 2017 09:56:58 am
      That was supposed to be full on hurricane attack attack attack in search of the 3 points we needed and what did we get?
      A wrist slashing laborious plod back and forth across the park with piss poor penetration.

Why Jürgen consistently plays Origi down the middle and puts Fimino out wide is beyond me..jeez, he did absolutely NOTHING yesterday Origi.. and to think he stayed on the pitch for 70 minutes!..unbelievable.

Carry on playing like that, scrape 4th and our CL dream will be over before the PL even f**kin starts next season.Knocked out by some Icelandic ale house viking team!

You can blame Southampton for their tactics all day long but we really were dire.

All I've got to cheer about at the moment is Maureen's slapped face at his oscar winning press conferences..

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,556 posts | 1788 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #502: May 08, 2017 11:03:31 am
      Disgrace that the modern game in the EPL with so much money being spent that teams are setting up to defend with 10 men behind the ball, The saints used to be a good team to watch, now their just a setup for 0-0 and hope to nick a win, Manure are the same, they spent over £200 mill to play crap football.

Yes we should do better at breaking these teams down, but I also think these teams have a duty to provide entertainment considering how much people are paying at the gates and for sky & BT.

Perhaps the incentive's talked about many times changing the points system, to have bonus points for goals scored, and minus points for no goals scored or something would bring back attacking football by all.

Anyway after the arsenal result v the mancs it was a point further towards top 4, we defo goto west ham and win next sunday.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #503: May 08, 2017 04:56:24 pm
      Milner was having a mare, knew as soon as he stepped up he was going to miss.
      Like the other games against them this season, we were never going to score.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,174 posts | 524 
      Reply #504: May 08, 2017 06:53:40 pm

Agree fella, Milner didn't look comfortable standing over the ball waiting for the ref to sort things, having said that we all know you shouldn't miss a penalty but he did and its the first one this season he has missed. What makes it worse is that's the first penalty out of nine this season their goalkeeper has saved, fcuking typical.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #505: May 08, 2017 07:01:40 pm

Have you noticed that Klopp, like a lot of us, doesn't like watching penalty's?

He turns his back and doesn't watch ;D

Same as me, except I usually go out of the room  :laugh:

Quick Reply