Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (3.4%)
      Joel Matip
      18 (31%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (15.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (5.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      7 (12.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      6 (10.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 11, 2017 03:24:45 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29480 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 335 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: May 08, 2017 07:15:43 pm
      I can't bame Southampton.  Yes they were awfu to watch and killed it as a spectacle, but they know that's how to get results against us, they've done it so often.  Sit back, spoil it, defend, be boring, get us frustrated, get the fans on the player's backs, then late on when near-panic sets in and we're throwing more men forward, get a quick lad on and counter at every opportunity.

What do we expect them to do?  Play a game-plan that suits US? 

Fact is, we did nothing from selection to final whistle that was any different from what we've presented them with in the last few games, so we got a similar result.  It's not rocket science!

Until JK decides to be more adventurous (or put aside whatever beef he's got with Sturridge), the outcome of these games will probably be no different from yesterday.  We looked tired, naive, bored, short of ideas and confidence, and downright lost at times.  Somebody needed to take a bloody risk and MAKE something different happen.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,197 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #507: May 08, 2017 07:31:05 pm
      I can't bame Southampton.  Yes they were awfu to watch and killed it as a spectacle, but they know that's how to get results against us, they've done it so often.  Sit back, spoil it, defend, be boring, get us frustrated, get the fans on the player's backs, then late on when near-panic sets in and we're throwing more men forward, get a quick lad on and counter at every opportunity.

What do we expect them to do?  Play a game-plan that suits US? 

Fact is, we did nothing from selection to final whistle that was any different from what we've presented them with in the last few games, so we got a similar result.  It's not rocket science!

Until JK decides to be more adventurous (or put aside whatever beef he's got with Sturridge), the outcome of these games will probably be no different from yesterday.  We looked tired, naive, bored, short of ideas and confidence, and downright lost at times.  Somebody needed to take a bloody risk and MAKE something different happen.

Yep we need to change our tactics against teams who park the bus, but I can't see West Ham playing these tactics
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #508: May 08, 2017 07:46:59 pm
      Why we playing Lucas he slow as F**k only way beat teams park bus is pace someone like mane or even when Daniel come on their bit more space in forward line
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #509: May 08, 2017 07:49:24 pm
      You don't need play Lucas in these games l like see Marko come on early in game he near score with header
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #510: May 08, 2017 08:01:32 pm
      Yep we need to change our tactics against teams who park the bus, but I can't see West Ham playing these tactics

They swamped hounded the Spurs midfield and gave them nothing. Played really well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #511: May 08, 2017 09:53:21 pm
      You don't need play Lucas in these games l like see Marko come on early in game he near score with header

Yet he's gotten a couple of vital assists that's led to us winning these games in recent weeks and it was his ball into the box that Stephens handballed and gave away a penalty. Yeah, proper sh*te is Lucas, complete hindrance at the moment.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #512: May 08, 2017 10:11:26 pm
      Yet he's gotten a couple of vital assists that's led to us winning these games in recent weeks and it was his ball into the box that Stephens handballed and gave away a penalty. Yeah, proper sh*te is Lucas, complete hindrance at the moment.

And something like 3 assists in the past 4 game...yup dump him
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #513: May 08, 2017 10:57:18 pm
      And something like 3 assists in the past 4 game...yup dump him
      Sorry AZ, but the way I see it is horses for courses... Regardless of whether you rate Lucas or not if you believe that Southampton intent to sit back and frustrate then you do not need a DMF sitting in  front of the back four... Start Grujić or Lallana
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #514: May 08, 2017 11:24:22 pm
      Sorry AZ, but the way I see it is horses for courses... Regardless of whether you rate Lucas or not if you believe that Southampton intent to sit back and frustrate then you do not need a DMF sitting in  front of the back four... Start Grujić or Lallana

If Milner had scored the penalty and we gone on to win then I doubt Lucas would essentially be the scapegoat for this result.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #515: May 09, 2017 12:54:28 am
      If Milner had scored the penalty and we gone on to win then I doubt Lucas would essentially be the scapegoat for this result.

Lucas could have not started this game and would still be the scapegoat if the result went the same.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #516: May 09, 2017 01:08:40 am
      Lucas could have not started this game and would still be the scapegoat if the result went the same.

So true.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #517: May 09, 2017 01:20:30 am
      I went out drinking saturday so slept thru the first half,then barely stayed awake for the second,just sh*te.Next.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #518: May 09, 2017 02:31:54 am

I don't know why or even if Lucas is being made a "scapegoat," could be a bit of hyperbole there.

Lucas (bless his cotton little socks), tried to force the issue against Southampton, he was getting into 'Gini' positions, probably as frustrated as anyone at how useless we are at breaking down the bus parkers.

Incidentally, in the last game against Watford he got an absolute earful from Klopp as he left his post in front of the defense to help us going forward. Clearly Klopp wanted him to sit and screen and to be fair we could have easily been hit on the counter so he wasn't really the issue for our poor play going forward. There was a moment in the second half Vs Soton where we were caugtht on the counter, and their wide player looped over a slightly over hit pass to their central attacker who was totally unmarked! Had the cross/pass been accurate we would have probably gone 1 gone down to sucker punch - similar to what happened against Swansea earlier on in the season.

For all his limitations, Lucas is still able to do a capable job 'sitting' and you still need that reassurance when you're dominating possession 70% to 30%. Ideally, a pass master like Alonso in there would be preferable but in saying that, Can, Gini, Coutinho, Firmino, Milner, Clyne and Origi bare the brunt of responsibility for us as an attacking threat.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #519: May 09, 2017 04:44:48 am

Lucas (bless his cotton little socks),

I agree with your whole post, great stuff. Just picking this out - haven't heard this one from anyone besides my Nanna in years. Brilliant :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #520: May 09, 2017 05:19:41 am
      I agree with your whole post, great stuff. Just picking this out - haven't heard this one from anyone besides my Nanna in years. Brilliant :D

Come to think of it, I haven't heard it since my Nan (rest her soul) used it either.  :D

Nan's don't you just love 'em.  :)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #521: May 09, 2017 06:19:59 am
      Four games against Southampton, no goals scored! 😕
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #522: May 09, 2017 09:03:43 am
      I agree with there, but the point I was making was not scapegoating Lucas, lets say that it was Henderson, or Stewart, or even Can did we really need someone playing that DMF roll...?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #523: May 09, 2017 09:13:26 am
      I want to clarify sometime so hopefully you all will understand where i am coming from... I am not a big fan of Lucas...But like with any player I try to past judgement fairly... In the Lucas vs Southampton game he did so little wrong, and it could be said that because of Lucas Southampton's chances were seriously restricted, but over all i felt that Southampton were happy to sit back and soak it all up, and hope for a set piece in which to win the game, so i question not Lucas but why we needed a DMF in the first place
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #524: May 09, 2017 11:29:32 am
      I agree with there, but the point I was making was not scapegoating Lucas, lets say that it was Henderson, or Stewart, or even Can did we really need someone playing that DMF roll...?

It's no different for Chelsea though is it. Regardless of who they play, they will have a defensive mid playing, but should they really need that against the weaker teams? The only difference is they are a much more effective unit at the moment, have consistency throughout their team and are all working well together. They don't even have a 'Plan B', they play the same way every game and have only come unstuck a few times.
      You look at their team and they have virtually the same group of players starting every game, we haven't, we are constantly having to change players about because of injury.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #525: May 09, 2017 12:15:14 pm
      He always gets it in the neck from someone ... does Lucas.

The stuff he has had to do over the years to get and keep us out of trouble in games has mostly gone unnoticed.

He had better have a crackin' testimonial from this club when he does go on to new pastures.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #526: May 09, 2017 01:24:30 pm
      Same old same old!!!

I'm getting fed up with players saying on the build up to games how they are going to fight to get the champions league place and then they come out and perform like they have in the last few games.  Anyone can talk a good fight it's now time to stop making false promises and just get on with it.

Thing is if we manage to get 4th place and scum win the europa league does that not kick us out of the champions league????

If that is the case i would rather not finish 4th.  :mad:
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #527: May 09, 2017 02:06:07 pm

If you don't appreciate how well Lucas has played for us in recent games, there is something missing with you mate aha.

He has been great for us in controlling possession actually being the only one with balls to make defense splitting passes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #528: May 09, 2017 02:17:19 pm
      If you don't appreciate how well Lucas has played for us in recent games, there is something missing with you mate aha.

He has been great for us in controlling possession actually being the only one with balls to make defense splitting passes.

Good point about his passing.
      He's played some passes that were absolute crackers, but seemed to go unnoticed in the match thread.
      Whether that's by accident or design, I don't know.
      What I do know is that we have posters who give credit where it's due, and others who suddenly go a bit blind when Lucas does something good (which is often).
      It's almost like they have an agenda ;)

Quick Reply