Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Mohamed Salah (AS Roma)

Read 82872 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Re: Mohamed Salah (AS Roma)
      Reply #644: Jun 21, 2017 01:14:22 am
      I'd rather be Kevin Keegan's Newcastle than Arsenal under George Graham.

George Graham won 2 titles so I'll disagree.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #645: Jun 21, 2017 10:01:30 am
      George Graham won 2 titles so I'll disagree.

Yeah and most folks fell asleep before that happened. I'd like to be entertained on my way to the title, thank you very much, but fair enough if that's your opinion. However, you still seem to be missing my point. I'm not suggesting buying a striker at the expense of a defender, I'm suggesting that to get a Central Defender more than capable of improving our defence immesearably will cost less than the seventy million plus pounds mooted for what it would take to ressurect the Van Dyke deal. I'm simply stating that if we're going to spend that sort of money, it should be on the attack, not the defence since traditionally strikers cost more than defenders. You don't necessarily lose a game because you concede a goal but you most definately don't win a game without scoring one and that should be our priority.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #646: Jun 21, 2017 10:07:03 am
      Salah is a decent player, and would add another level of threat to our attack. However I have 3 issues with signing the player for 39 million pounds.

1. He ditched Liverpool for Chelsea earlier in his career. We could have bought him then for 11 million.
      2. He is African so expect the same exposure as with Mane when he left in Jan for the African Nations Cup.
      3. I believe we can get a better player with equal ability cheaper.

However if Jürgen has specific need for him then lets get this deal going and move on.

For me 39 million for Salah is a lot, and pls don't reference other teams throwing money at players cos I can also quote bargain buys everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #647: Jun 21, 2017 10:18:36 am
      Salah is a decent player, and would add another level of threat to our attack. However I have 3 issues with signing the player for 39 million pounds.

1. He ditched Liverpool for Chelsea earlier in his career. We could have bought him then for 11 million.
      2. He is African so expect the same exposure as with Mane when he left in Jan for the African Nations Cup.

However if Jürgen has specific need for him then lets get this deal going and move on.

For me 39 million for Salah is a lot, and pls don't reference other teams throwing money at players cos I can also quote bargain buys everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

1. No he didn't. We didn't match the asking price.
      2. You can't go around not buying African players because they miss a month every 2 years (sometimes their team doesn't even qualify)
      3. A better player with equal ability?

In today's game it's really not that big of a deal. I listened to people on here when they said stop worrying about the money, I'd honestly go along with that. It makes for a much better window.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Reply #648: Jun 21, 2017 10:36:12 am

Just my 2 cents.

No we could not have bought Salah for £11 million 3 years ago as the club would not pay that amount at the time.

Hardly the players fault is it?
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #649: Jun 21, 2017 10:57:46 am
      Happy with this lad,the speed of our midfield and attack next season is going to be devastating ,either with intricate passing or counter attacking it's going to be excellent 👍
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #650: Jun 21, 2017 11:26:38 am

1. Some people really need to get this out of their head and wake up because this didn't happen. He wanted to join us but we wouldn't pay the money. That's not the players fault, that's our fault.

3. Such as? If you are going to make a comment like this then at least give some examples.

As for the African nations. Not arsed, same with Mane. Sure I'd prefer it to not be the case but we can't not sign players because they are African and might miss a few games in the season. I'd rather sign an African player who will be of massive benefit to the team and lose them for a few games than sign somebody who isn't African, have them the entire season but that player not be as good and effective for us. Just look at how many points Mane helped get us last season so if Salah was to have the same impact would you still take this view if we are linked to another African next year?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #651: Jun 21, 2017 11:56:29 am
      I'd rather sign an African player who will be of massive benefit to the team and lose them for a few games than sign somebody who isn't African, have them the entire season but that player not be as good and effective for us. Just look at how many points Mane helped get us last season so if Salah was to have the same impact would you still take this view if we are linked to another African next year?

Lets sign all African players, then we an have a mid season holiday every two years as we won't have any players left.  :lmao: :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #652: Jun 21, 2017 12:02:42 pm
      Lets sign all African players, then we an have a mid season holiday every two years as we won't have any players left.  :lmao: :lmao:

Hmm...
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #653: Jun 21, 2017 12:27:37 pm
      So lets be clear. I'm only expressing my own opinion, and its about the value of the player not his ability.

In my opinion he's not worth 39 million quid for Liverpool.

It doesn't mean City cannot pay 50 million or Manure cannot pay 70 million.

My bullet points are the things I considered, and you cant take the points in isolation.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #654: Jun 21, 2017 12:41:28 pm

My bullet points are the things I considered, and you cant take the points in isolation.

But you're bullet pointing things that simply aren't the case as well as saying you feel there are better options available but not even saying who you think falls into that category. It frankly seems like you are just having a little bit of a bi*ch about the signing.

Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #655: Jun 21, 2017 01:07:05 pm
      But you're bullet pointing things that simply aren't the case as well as saying you feel there are better options available but not even saying who you think falls into that category. It frankly seems like you are just having a little bit of a bi*ch about the signing.

Its cos of folks like you some of us here just read and not make comments.

You don't have to throw insults to make a point. Lets learn to be a bit civil, and as I pointed out in my earlier post, its my opinion and not criticizing the person/ persons making the decision.

Not sure what your age is, but will like to implore you act a bit mature when posting.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #656: Jun 21, 2017 01:20:30 pm

You don't have to throw insults to make a point. Lets learn to be a bit civil, and as I pointed out in my earlier post, its my opinion and not criticizing the person/ persons making the decision.

Not sure what your age is, but will like to implore you act a bit mature when posting.

Oh dear a bit precious aren't we, I haven't seen anyone be discourteous to you, simply challenge your points. So why don't you answer their questions rather than complaining.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #657: Jun 21, 2017 01:22:31 pm

Not surprised in the slightest of this reply. You've been pulled up by a number of members over your 'bullet points' and instead of making reasonable points that back up your view, you just go straight onto the defensive.
      No response from you about being wrong regarding the reasons why he wasn't signed a few years ago, no response regarding the African Nations involvement and no response on who you feel would be a better option than Salah. So I stick to my point about you just wanting to have a bi*ch about the signing.
      If you are going to make statements on why he didn't sign before and who would be a better option then you have to be prepared to back them statements up, not have a cry over being questioned.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #658: Jun 21, 2017 01:24:47 pm

Quote from: Salah
      Negotiations took a long time, because Basel rejected more than one offer. They felt the transfer fee was not that high. I was waiting for Liverpool [to agree terms with Basel] because I really like Liverpool. I was eager to join them.

But then I received a phone call from Mourinho and that changed everything. He explained the situation to me and told me that he needed me at Chelsea. That was one of the main reasons why I joined Chelsea.

Mourinho told me that he thought I was a good player and that he wanted me to pick Chelsea.

Who would you suggest? Only player I can think of is, Dug Costa, but even then he would probably cost around 30-40m, older and stats show that his end product isn't as good as Salah's.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #659: Jun 21, 2017 01:26:44 pm
      Think he'll be a great signing myself, excited to see him in red.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #660: Jun 21, 2017 01:40:16 pm
      After watching his highlight videos, 3 things stick out to me:

1.  He has a poachers instinct for finding space in the box and being in the right place at the right time to score goals.

2.  He is surprisingly good with his head and will score headed goals if/when he gets a chance.

3.  He seems to be very strong and hard to muscle off the ball.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #661: Jun 21, 2017 01:45:25 pm
      Max Meyer, Emil Forsberg, Lucas Moura, Julian Brandt, to mention a few.

other options Africans: Rihad Mahrez,

I'm not a scout neither is footy my full time job, my point is the clubs scouting network would probably be a ble to come up with better options.

For the 2nd point about him being African, it isn't discriminatory but just to point out that where players come from affect the price tag - English players are usually more expensive than players from other regions with equal ability. So hence another reason why he shouldn't be that expensive.

For my 1st point, yes we were dallying over the transfer just like we have been doing over this one when Jose called him and he joined Chelsea.

But to close this out, I don't have any issue with Salah, I think he will do well here. My comment only focused on the amount we are paying.

Same way I wouldn't buy VVD for 70 million.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #662: Jun 21, 2017 02:01:30 pm
      . My comment only focused on the amount we are paying.

Its the way the market is, we sell Cout's tomorrow he goes for an equally ridiculous fee.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #663: Jun 21, 2017 02:01:45 pm
      Max Meyer, Emil Forsberg, Lucas Moura, Julian Brandt, to mention a few.

other options Africans: Rihad Mahrez,

I'm not a scout neither is footy my full time job, my point is the clubs scouting network would probably be a ble to come up with better options.

For the 2nd point about him being African, it isn't discriminatory but just to point out that where players come from affect the price tag - English players are usually more expensive than players from other regions with equal ability. So hence another reason why he shouldn't be that expensive.

For my 1st point, yes we were dallying over the transfer just like we have been doing over this one when Jose called him and he joined Chelsea.

But to close this out, I don't have any issue with Salah, I think he will do well here. My comment only focused on the amount we are paying.

I'd tear someone's arm off to give 70m for VVD because guess what....IT ISN'T MY MONEY!!!!! (and we need a good CB) :lmao:
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #664: Jun 21, 2017 02:17:52 pm
      I'd tear someone's arm off to give 70m for VVD because guess what....IT ISN'T MY MONEY!!!!! (and we need a good CB) :lmao:

If we had a bottomless pit, sh*t load of wad why not.

But I guess we as a club don't fall into that category, hence the need to prioritize and also do some financial balancing.

If we were owned by Sheik Monsour why not. I have my bucket list of players I would love my darling club to own but im also a realist.

I would love 2 new full backs as priority, a defensive central midfielder, a proven top 9 and then a central defender.

Anyways back to discussing Salah
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #665: Jun 21, 2017 02:22:13 pm
      If we had a bottomless pit, sh*t load of wad why not.

But I guess we as a club don't fall into that category, hence the need to prioritize and also do some financial balancing.

If we were owned by Sheik Monsour why not. I have my bucket list of players I would love my darling club to own but im also a realist.

I would love 2 new full backs as priority, a defensive central midfielder, a proven top 9 and then a central defender.

Anyways back to discussing Salah

Yea, that would be great...but  if it was sign all those players and get mediocre or 2nd tier players that were "cheap", vs buying a couple of quality first teamers for huge fees that immediately improve the starting 11, then I'm going for quality.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #666: Jun 21, 2017 02:38:39 pm
      Yea, that would be great...but  if it was sign all those players and get mediocre or 2nd tier players that were "cheap", vs buying a couple of quality first teamers for huge fees that immediately improve the starting 11, then I'm going for quality.

So goes back to scouting - hence the point I have been trying to make.

Spurs bought Dele Alli for less than 10 million, we didn't want to pay 5 mill after scouting him for eternity, Erickson for 8 million after we scouted him for eternity, Ryan Bertrand we scouted for eternity but Southampton got him for peanuts. these are all quality players that I would love to have in my team any day and others got them for close to peanuts, but we tend to pay over the odds for these so called quality buys and we don't have endless cash. We did good business with Couts and Sturridge, even Luis was a steal so we also have some good days.

But I agree with your point of quality over quantity.

Quick Reply