Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread

Read 10060 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread
      May 09, 2017 04:32:39 pm
      When I awake at 3 a.m. and lie staring at the ceiling, my mind typically turns to Liverpool Football Club. As the  anxiety of the run-in has me looking for a subject other than the next match, and since I don’t know how to do Origami, I naturally began thinking about our squad for 2017-18.

Keep in mind as I form this in my sleep-deprived brain, we will be playing in some form of Europe next season so we will have at least six more multiple-match weeks than this season. Klopp has acknowledged he needs a deeper squad.

I’d also like to hear from all of you in this thread about how you see the first team developing for next season. I don’t want to duplicate the transfer thread, the "FSG are good/bad owners" thread or the "Klopp is a good/bad manager thread." I’d rather know what you think is likely and needed for our club going forward. Beyond that, be as creative as you like.

For me, the goal has to be building a team/squad capable of contending for titles in England and Europe. I accept that building it is a process, but we need bold steps forward, and for all of our summer transactions to be purposed to that end.

Goalkeeper: I think we will stay with Mignolet and Karius. Bogdan will leave and Manninger will retire but I’m not sure if Ward and Fulton are loaned again or kept in-house for cover. Grabara and Kelleher are apparently promising prospects as well.

Right Back: Clyne will stay, but we need to bring in another first-choice caliber right back, who has Clyne’s work rate but also delivers a (much) higher-quality final ball. Too often this season the right wing has been where our attacks go to die.

Trent Alexander-Arnold will be a backup in this role as well as at midfield.

Connor Randall will leave the club

Left Back: James Milner will not be the starting left back next season. He most likely will play a utility role for the team, starting most games on the bench and making said bench longer due to his ability to play 5-7 positions on the pitch.
      The club will sign a first-choice left back player and must look for the combination of defensive skill, pace and willingness to go forward, and a quality final ball from the wing.

Alberto Moreno will leave. Jon Flanagan will leave.

Center Backs: Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren will remain in contention for starting roles, and will be joined by one new signing of top-drawer variety at center back.

Ragnar Klavan will be a backup. Joe Gomez will be a backup.

Andre Wisdom will leave. Mama Sakho will leave.

Central Midfield
      (Holding): Jordan Henderson will contend for a starting role. Lucas Leiva will be a backup if he’s willing to stay.

Kevin Stewart will leave the club. Allan will remain on loan.

(Box-to-Box): Emre Can will contend for a starting role. Gini Wijnaldum will contend for a starting role (rotated in when we have multiple matches in a week).

The club will bring in one top quality signing to play a holding and/or box-to-box role (which one will be influenced by Hendo's fitness, Can's contract status and where he is deemed to help us most). Naby Keita is reportedly first choice among targets.

James Milner will be a backup here. Ovie Ejaria will be a backup here. Pedro Chirivella will be a backup if he stays, but will probably leave.

(Attacking): Adam Lallana and Philip Coutinho are two players available for this position and so there is no need to bring in anyone in at this role.

Marko Grujic is a backup in this role. Trent Alexander-Arnold is a backup in this role. Harry Wilson is a backup in this role.

Cameron Brannagan will leave the club.

Forward (remember that in Klopp’s system, the three attacking players are largely interchangeable as to position).

(Wide): Phil Coutinho and Sadio Mane are first choice players here, but the club will sign another top quality wide attacker, with Brandt and Saleh reportedly top targets.

Sheyi Ojo will be a backup player at wide forward and if he returns to full fitness, be used in rotation. Ryan Kent will be a backup if he stays at the club. Ben Woodburn will be a backup in this role.

(Central):

Bobby Firmino will contend for a starting role

Divock Origi and Daniel Sturridge (if he is willing to stay) will be used in rotation, especially when we have multiple matches in a week.

The club will bring in one more contender for a starting role, a proven goal-scorer, but I think Klopp is more likely to look for yet another smallish, quick forward who plays combinations well, than a dominant center-forward in the English style.

Danny Ings will be a backup if he stays at the club. Rhian Brewster will be a backup in this role.

Lazar Markovic will leave.

So by my count that is six new signings. Additional transfers/frees could be signed to supplement the squad, but we have a lot of young players that the coaching staff will want to see in action in order to assess their long-term suitability, so that may be where they come in. I have 10-14 players leaving, but most of these are not featuring at all this season.

These moves should make us a somewhat deeper and (hopefully) significantly better team. As I've said before, I know in my head I should just check out from the final whistle next Sunday until the first preseason match, for sanity's sake, but I probably won't.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Re: The pretentiously official 2017-2018 squad thread
      Reply #1: May 09, 2017 06:25:31 pm
      A few things.

Left Back: If Moreno leaves and we sign 1, left footed Left back, we will have a squad with one left footed left back, playing in all competitions. There is obviously a problem there. Milner should not be considered back up. (Same logic as the right back position). We need a new LB and coaches to do their damn job and Coach Moreno to be a better defender.

Midfield: We need a real defensive midfielder. Hendo does a decent job but our defense needs coverage. Its also a void in our squad. Especially if Stewart leaves.

Box-to-Box: Coutinho needs to move to the CM role like in 2013. LW should be his secondary role. Not convinced by Can in Midfield (despite the bicycle kick)

Wings: We need a backup for left wing and right wing. Maybe one player who can play both sides.

Striker: We still need an out and out striker. We haven't replaced Benteke. Origi is an extreme back up aka cup games. It should be Bobby F, Sturridge and another proven striker competing for the role.

If Sturridge leaves we'll need 2 strikers. I think we should keep him.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2: May 09, 2017 06:52:03 pm
      When I awake at 3 a.m. and lie staring at the ceiling, my mind typically turns to Liverpool Football Club. As the  anxiety of the run-in has me looking for a subject other than the next match, and since I don’t know how to do Origami, I naturally began thinking about our squad for 2017-18.

Keep in mind as I form this in my sleep-deprived brain, we will be playing in some form of Europe next season so we will have at least six more multiple-match weeks than this season. Klopp has acknowledged he needs a deeper squad.

I’d also like to hear from all of you in this thread about how you see the first team developing for next season. I don’t want to duplicate the transfer thread, the "FSG are good/bad owners" thread or the "Klopp is a good/bad manager thread." I’d rather know what you think is likely and needed for our club going forward. Beyond that, be as creative as you like.

For me, the goal has to be building a team/squad capable of contending for titles in England and Europe. I accept that building it is a process, but we need bold steps forward, and for all of our summer transactions to be purposed to that end.

Goalkeeper: I think we will stay with Mignolet and Karius. Bogdan will leave and Manninger will retire but I’m not sure if Ward and Fulton are loaned again or kept in-house for cover. Grabara and Kelleher are apparently promising prospects as well.

Right Back: Clyne will stay, but we need to bring in another first-choice caliber right back, who has Clyne’s work rate but also delivers a (much) higher-quality final ball. Too often this season the right wing has been where our attacks go to die.

Left Back: James Milner will not be the starting left back next season. He most likely will play a utility role for the team, starting most games on the bench and making said bench longer due to his ability to play 5-7 positions on the pitch.
      The club will sign a first-choice left back player and must look for the combination of defensive skill, pace and willingness to go forward, and a quality final ball from the wing.

Center Backs: Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren will remain in contention for starting roles, and will be joined by one new signing of top-drawer variety at center back.

Central Midfield
      (Holding): Jordan Henderson will contend for a starting role. Lucas Leiva will be a backup if he’s willing to stay.

(Box-to-Box): Emre Can will contend for a starting role. Gini Wijnaldum will contend for a starting role (rotated in when we have multiple matches in a week).

The club will bring in one top quality signing to play a holding and/or box-to-box role (which one will be influenced by Hendo's fitness, Can's contract status and where he is deemed to help us most). Naby Keita is reportedly first choice among targets.

James Milner will be a backup here. Ovie Ejaria will be a backup here. Pedro Chirivella will be a backup if he stays, but will probably leave.

(Attacking): Adam Lallana and Philip Coutinho are two players available for this position and so there is no need to bring in anyone in at this role.

Marko Grujic is a backup in this role. Trent Alexander-Arnold is a backup in this role. Harry Wilson is a backup in this role.

Forward (remember that in Klopp’s system, the three attacking players are largely interchangeable as to position).

(Wide): Phil Coutinho and Sadio Mane are first choice players here, but the club will sign another top quality wide attacker, with Brandt and Saleh reportedly top targets.

Sheyi Ojo will be a backup player at wide forward and if he returns to full fitness, be used in rotation. Ryan Kent will be a backup if he stays at the club. Ben Woodburn will be a backup in this role.

(Central):

Divock Origi and Daniel Sturridge (if he is willing to stay) will be used in rotation, especially when we have multiple matches in a week.

The club will bring in one more contender for a starting role, a proven goal-scorer, but I think Klopp is more likely to look for yet another smallish, quick forward who plays combinations well, than a dominant center-forward in the English style.

Danny Ings will be a backup if he stays at the club. Rhian Brewster will be a backup in this role.

So by my count that is six new signings. Additional transfers/frees could be signed to supplement the squad, but we have a lot of young players that the coaching staff will want to see in action in order to assess their long-term suitability, so that may be where they come in. I have 10-14 players leaving, but most of these are not featuring at all this season.

These moves should make us a somewhat deeper and (hopefully) significantly better team. As I've said before, I know in my head I should just check out from the final whistle next Sunday until the first preseason match, for sanity's sake, but I probably won't.

You could have just had a w*nk mate, did you know that if you lie on your arm for 5mins it feels like someone else  ;D

Only kidding mate, interesting to see who says what, I'll respond laters, still at work.

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3: May 09, 2017 06:54:58 pm

You could have just had a w*nk mate, did you know that if you lie on your arm for 5mins it feels like someone else  ;D

Only kidding mate, interesting to see who says what, I'll respond laters, still at work.

YNWA

Hahaha

Reminds me of a quote from the film Gone in 60 Seconds.

"Check out my new move, I call it the stranger!"
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #4: May 09, 2017 07:09:54 pm

Central Midfield

(Central):

Sorry, to pick just one bit from your excellent msg.

Alberto Moreno will leave. Are you sure? What a sad day that is going to be.   :f_tongueincheek: :f_doh: :f_steam: :f_wah:  >:( :'(  ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: May 09, 2017 07:38:16 pm
      A few things.

Left Back: If Moreno leaves and we sign 1, left footed Left back, we will have a squad with one left footed left back, playing in all competitions. There is obviously a problem there. Milner should not be considered back up. (Same logic as the right back position). We need a new LB and coaches to do their damn job and Coach Moreno to be a better defender.

Thanks for your thoughts. I would see Milner, Clyne and TAA all as options as left back cover.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #6: May 09, 2017 09:34:56 pm
      Thanks for your thoughts. I would see Milner, Clyne and TAA all as options as left back cover.

Cant imagine milner enjoying playing left back, plus there are problems with him being right footed. The same problems will happen with Clyne. I can't see how you can argue that we need a legit Right back cover, but are happy with make-shift right footed, Left back cover
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #7: May 09, 2017 10:23:54 pm
      On the fullbacks, I think we only need a LB. That would mean that Milner would be available to contend with Clyne for the RB spot. I quite like Clyne, but Milner used to be a winger and on his right foot can deliver a good ball. So there would be competition for that spot between 2 decent full backs - one better offensively, one better defensively.

Milner obviously would also give cover at LB, plus Trent Alexander-Arnold is 3rd RB option, and Joe Gomez is a 3rd choice LB. So to me, we don't need a new RB, just a LB.

On centre midfield - yeah, ideally I would like to get somebody really top drawer if they are available. However, I don't think it is a priority for Jürgen ( unless Hendo's injury looks dodgy). We are basically using 2 orthodox CM's ( except for the last few games when Lallana has been out), so a choice of Hendo, Can, Gini, Lucas, Grujic ( and Mr Versatile Milner again) gives us enough cover in terms of numbers for those 2 positions.

To me, the key areas needing strengthening ( apart from LB) are: wide, where clearly we miss Mane badly if he is out; and up front, where our current central striker, despite being a good player, is not actually a striker and consequently only has 12 goals for the season. I think it is by far the biggest problem of the last 3 seasons that we spent them without a true striker that the manager ( either manager) actually believes in. It's amazing to me that we have let that go on so long.

Interesting decision to be made about the goalie. I'd be inclined to loan out Karius, and bring in competition for Mignolet, but I suspect Jürgen will stick with them both. I think that'll be ok, as long as Mig doesn't get injured, but I wouldn't be taking the risk.

We also need another CB if, as seems certain, Sakho leaves.

So to me, if we add 5 good players in those positions - GK, CB, LB, winger, striker ( and obviously keep all our other first teamers, apart from Moreno and maybe Karius) - then we have enough for a strong first team plus ( just) enough cover to cope with injuries/need to rest players etc.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2017 10:30:56 pm by sore monad »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #8: May 09, 2017 10:39:10 pm
      I would like us to move to a 4231 which not only provides a stronger defensive shield but also gets the best out of Firmino as a No 10.

That being said we need a new first choice CB to replace Lovren, a genuine LB (hopefully not a prospect as reported).
      A ball playing midfielder to partner either Hendo or Can. Gini should spend more time on the bench covering CM but preferably the front 3 as an attacking midfielder.
      Milner can provide cover for LB and midfield.

Another pacy wide forward.

A new striker.

So 5 players who can come straight into the first team.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #9: May 09, 2017 10:59:53 pm

Milner obviously would also give cover at LB, plus Trent Alexander-Arnold is 3rd RB option, and Joe Gomez is a 3rd choice LB. So to me, we don't need a new RB, just a LB.

Joe Gomez is right footed and was not great at left back after a while when rodgers played him there, if anything he would be better cover for RB.

We either need 2 new left backs or start considering 3-5-2 as a possible back up option ;D

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      Reply #10: May 10, 2017 09:58:13 am

Central Midfield

(Central):

It goes without saying that our squad is way short in numbers but more importantly way short in quality, both of these misdemeanours need remedying this summer,
      To have a squad capable of competing in  all fronts isn't as difficult as it may seem, it's what you prioritise as your main targets that will determine how many new faces arrive and of what quality?

Obviously the league title is numero ono followed by European, CL or Europa,
      Anyhoo, this is what I'd like to see happen this summer,

GK, probably stay as it is but I'd go get Buckland from Stoke, proper keeper, young, hungry and wasted at that shithole Brittania

LB, not sure if Moronic Moreno will be here or not, Milner would suffice as suitable back up, I'd like us to bring Andy Robertson in from Hull,  decent defensively can attack,  has pace aplenty and can deliver good quality balls into dangerous areas, he will get better working with Klopp,

RB,  not too much to change here, Clyne for me has become complacent,  he needs someone to threaten his position and TAA ticks all the right boxes,  quick,  agile,  has a football brain and has a end product,  but he has something else that's missing in our ranks,  he's Scouse we need two extra elements in a Liverpool side SaS..  Scots & Scouse a fine marriage as our history has proven, I've introduced both in one swoop..

CB,  love us to land Van Dijk to partner Matip with Lovren as backup and young Gomez as the apprentice,  Klavan not sure he'll hang around he'd be decent support but I'd probably cash in, hope Lucas stays one more season,  his experience alone is and will be immeasurable,

Central ; vital we strengthen this summer,  fully fit Henderson,  Can,  Gini, Coutinho, Lallana are still not quite of the quality we need,  but add a, Brandt,  Pulisic,  Weigl, Kessie, Dahoud, Rous and we're a different animal, two of the above will be very nice indeed,

Forwards ; bye Sturridge and thanks, have fun in China,  careful you don't trip over your bong,
      Bobby,  Divock, Ings, Mane need help,  they need a specific target man, someone who they can all work around so as to optimise our scoring prowess, there are a few very very good young strikers out there chomping at the bit for 1st team action and eager to prove their worth,  Mbappe, Timo Werner, Ousmane Dembele,  myself I'd rather we have a experienced striker who knows his craft and is willing to run his gonads off, so I'd go and get James Rodriguez,  I think he'd snatch your hand off for the chance to play in the EPL and the CL,  so why not put a bid in and see what transpires, of course we could always ask Luis if he'd like to win the Premiership with us if he so desires cos it ain't f***in happening at the Camp Nou is it?

Look F**k knows how much all those new swinging dicks would cost but if we are to move on up another level we are more likely have to cough up a sum of money that will trounce our current expenditure.

I'm definitely not holding my breath that's for sure?

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: May 10, 2017 07:23:40 pm
      Joe Gomez is right footed and was not great at left back after a while when rodgers played him there, if anything he would be better cover for RB.

We either need 2 new left backs or start considering 3-5-2 as a possible back up option ;D

Regarding left-footed vs. right-footed, just read this from Ben Johnson on Anfield Wrap. Only quoting a small bit here - but it's worth a read (plus this is one outlet that is eminently worthy of our support, even if it's just giving them web traffic.

"…but no one seems to mention the deployment of a right-footer at full-back might be deliberate. I think this is by design and is something Jürgen Klopp actively wants to assist in the creation of chances and to control the way we play. Milner’s strengths as a player are his ability to keep the ball, spot a pass, move in tight spaces when playing in little combinations and his endurance and stamina. He isn’t really being asked to play left-back. Left back is a misnomer. He is playing as an attacking midfielder almost as a playmaker from a traditional attacking left-back position." - (emphasis added)

Full article is here: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/05/liverpools-system-and-james-milner-at-left-back-the-method-to-the-madness/

I think we will have a new left back, but the necessity of a 2nd left-footer for that position doesn't seem as urgent to me.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #12: May 10, 2017 07:25:04 pm
      Al, I'm going to offer some support and challenge to your idea.

FOR -
      Vardy certainly has qualities we lack in attack: 
      He's hungry, fast, greedy, direct and nasty.
      He doesn't give a sh*t about reputations and big name opposition.
      He doesn't get injured apart from the odd knock.
      He makes the right runs at the right time and lets his mates know if he doesn't get the service.

AGAINST -
      He tends to thrive against opposition who come out and leave gaps behind their defence / DM.  We do pretty well against those kind of teams anyway, and when facing bus-parkers, JV tends not to get much of a sniff.
      He may not fit Klopp's style, despite what you say, because although he can certainly press he doesn't really thrive on intricate edge-of-the-box pass and move stuff of the kind that Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino etc serve up. 
      He isn't an alternative to Mane.  Mane is a right sided winger who can attack the goal directly and offer an outlet and an option without intruding into central striker areas, while Vardy absolutely is a central, down the middle, on his own up front striker.
      Also, and I don't now the answer to this, but I think many people will ask: Is he technically good enough?

I for one wouldn't be outraged to see us sign him because I rate him, and like his fearlessness and fear-factor.  I also wouldn't begrudge Defoe a season in our ranks.  I think sometimes we tend towards the idea that a player can't possibly do us any good if he isn't flying high in a top exotic European league (other than EPL) or flavour of the month in the late rounds of the CL, or doing it in our 'traditional' top 4.  I would challenge that notion.

At the end of the day, you win games by scoring goals and keeping them out at your end.  JV and JD solve half that conundrum in ways NONE of our players have this year.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #13: May 10, 2017 07:36:53 pm
      Regarding left-footed vs. right-footed, just read this from Ben Johnson on Anfield Wrap. Only quoting a small bit here - but it's worth a read (plus this is one outlet that is eminently worthy of our support, even if it's just giving them web traffic.

"…but no one seems to mention the deployment of a right-footer at full-back might be deliberate. I think this is by design and is something Jürgen Klopp actively wants to assist in the creation of chances and to control the way we play. Milner’s strengths as a player are his ability to keep the ball, spot a pass, move in tight spaces when playing in little combinations and his endurance and stamina. He isn’t really being asked to play left-back. Left back is a misnomer. He is playing as an attacking midfielder almost as a playmaker from a traditional attacking left-back position." - (emphasis added)

Full article is here: https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/05/liverpools-system-and-james-milner-at-left-back-the-method-to-the-madness/

I think we will have a new left back, but the necessity of a 2nd left-footer for that position doesn't seem as urgent to me.

What a load of sh*te mate from whoever Ben Johnson is.

Some just can't find themselves to question some of Jurgens decisions.

He's human and is not infallible!

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #14: May 10, 2017 07:48:22 pm
      Sh*te or not mate, I think most of us would agree the Milner experiment has run its course (it worked well for a time though), and I hope Klopp agrees with me on that one, because we definitely need to address that position this summer!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #15: May 10, 2017 08:12:01 pm

i was just about to say this..albeit in a less harsh manner ;D.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #16: May 10, 2017 08:13:16 pm
      Sh*te or not mate, I think most of us would agree the Milner experiment has run its course (it worked well for a time though), and I hope Klopp agrees with me on that one, because we definitely need to address that position this summer!

maybe there's a full back who can use both feet somewhere on the market?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: May 11, 2017 02:12:23 pm

I hadn't seen that opinion offered before so was curious what you all though to of it.Looks like he's losing 2-0.  ;D

But you are OK with Milner as cover for left back, correct?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #18: May 11, 2017 02:22:32 pm
      I hadn't seen that opinion offered before so was curious what you all though to of it.Looks like he's losing 2-0.  ;D

But you are OK with Milner as cover for left back, correct?

I think as cover he is OK.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #19: May 12, 2017 06:29:24 pm

The player I'm looking forward to seeing fit and raring to go in 2017-18 is Danny Ings.  I can't believe the bad luck he's had, and desperately hope we don't just sell/loan him or consign him to the reserves.  He's made for JK's style of play.

Also, wouldn't it be great to see TAA and maybe Wilson or Woodburn step up properly to the big time?

Of course, we all want to see a few top drawer signings coming in and have a huge impact, in the way that Torres or Suarez did, or Dalglish, Barnes or Beardsley for those of my generation.  But we need to have faith in our young lads.  Its bearing fruit for the Manure and the Spuds.  Let's have some Scouse blood in, and enjoys out-singing the Spuds fans at "He's one of our own."
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #20: May 12, 2017 06:55:53 pm
      The player I'm looking forward to seeing fit and raring to go in 2017-18 is Danny Ings.  I can't believe the bad luck he's had, and desperately hope we don't just sell/loan him or consign him to the reserves.  He's made for JK's style of play.

Is this his 5th serious knee injury in his career? I do wonder if he should re-evaluate his game when he returns, I just think maybe JK's style will be a little too much for him now.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #21: May 12, 2017 07:00:33 pm
      We need ( all first team starters )
      GK
      LB
      CM
      CB
      LW
      CF
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #22: May 12, 2017 07:42:46 pm
      Is this his 5th serious knee injury in his career? I do wonder if he should re-evaluate his game when he returns, I just think maybe JK's style will be a little too much for him now.

Ings will def have to go out on loan.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #23: May 13, 2017 12:24:27 am

Personally don't see him having a future with us to be honest. He's not the standard we need if we are to be competing. Good to have as a squad player to maybe bring on off the bench, play some cup games and fill in when needed but after missing so much football over the last couple of seasons I doubt he would want to settle for that, he will want to be playing on a regular basis and I just can't see that happening with us. Nothing against him at all and would be happy to have him as a squad player but I don't think he's ever going to be a 15/20 goal a season player for us.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #24: May 13, 2017 02:24:59 am
      Personally don't see him having a future with us to be honest. He's not the standard we need if we are to be competing. Good to have as a squad player to maybe bring on off the bench, play some cup games and fill in when needed but after missing so much football over the last couple of seasons I doubt he would want to settle for that, he will want to be playing on a regular basis and I just can't see that happening with us. Nothing against him at all and would be happy to have him as a squad player but I don't think he's ever going to be a 15/20 goal a season player for us.

i tend to agree.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4979 
      Reply #25: May 15, 2017 09:21:37 am

I wouldn't be to hasty in selling Ings mate, he's ideal for bringing off the bench, he's proven he knows where the goals are and is very adept at making them bulge, he's had a sh*t time of it injury wise but that's just down to luck or lack thereof,

We have hopefully a sh*t load more games next season so he'll get plenty of game time even if it's only cup games, and occasionally league outings, albeit from the bench,

We need a larger squad of players that goes without saying, if we sold or loaned him out we'd have to find a replacement so not much sense in that is there?

I'm not entirely convinced either that Studge will leave either although he'd attract more dollar if I'm honest,

Ings stays for me.

YNWA
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #26: May 15, 2017 09:35:47 am
      In:

Van Dijk
      New LB
      Robertson (backup LB)
      Keita
      Brandt
      Luan
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #27: May 15, 2017 09:43:55 am
      Studge could be difficult to offload, with his injury record. Although still a force when on the pitch.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #28: May 15, 2017 09:53:38 am
      In:
      New Ray Clemence
      New Carra
      New Hyypia
      New Zidane
      New G Bale
      New Stevie G
      New X Alonso
      New John Barnes
      New Robbie Fowler
      New C Ronaldo
      New Rushie

Out:
      Virtually everybody

:lmao:
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #29: May 15, 2017 12:46:37 pm

Would agree on this. May be use the loan deal as a sweetener to bring VVD here. As for the squad, we need 5, may be 6 based on the departures - I'm guessing Center Back, Left Back, Left Winger, Center Mid and a versatile forward.

Option 1:
      Mignolet
      Clyne - van Dijk - Matip - Sessognon
      Keita - Henderson
      Mane - Coutinho - Salah
      Firmino

Option 2:
      Karius
      TAA - Lovren - Klavan - Milner
      Lallana - Can - Wijnaldum
      Origi - Studge - Luan

In the mix - Gomez, Grujic, Ojo, Ejaria, Ben, Wilson
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: May 15, 2017 06:57:27 pm
      Would agree on this. May be use the loan deal as a sweetener to bring VVD here. As for the squad, we need 5, may be 6 based on the departures - I'm guessing Center Back, Left Back, Left Winger, Center Mid and a versatile forward.

Option 1:
      Mignolet
      Clyne - van Dijk - Matip - Sessognon
      Keita - Henderson
      Mane - Coutinho - Salah
      Firmino

Option 2:
      Karius
      TAA - Lovren - Klavan - Milner
      Lallana - Can - Wijnaldum
      Origi - Studge - Luan

In the mix - Gomez, Grujic, Ojo, Ejaria, Ben, Wilson

Something else we will have to watch closely in the preseason is what is Mane like after his rehab. Hopefully he will be as good as before, but I always worry with knee injuries whether someone loses something re quickness and ability to turn on a dime. If he's lost a lot, it's a harsh deal, but we will need to get another top attacking talent who can play the wing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: May 19, 2017 03:43:55 pm
      Good piece in JOE from Tony Barrett about Coutinho's role in the side and how we could see more of him at attacking center mid next season, but not exclusively. It mentions Naby Keita's potential role as influencing this heavily as well.

This reminds me that Klopp looks at particular transfers with a plan in mind, rather than just - "he's good, let's buy him."

Artice, if you're interested,is here: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/how-Jürgen-klopp-plans-to-alter-philippe-coutinhos-role-in-liverpools-starting-xi-for-next-season-126094
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: May 22, 2017 06:57:21 pm
      Perhaps with the season done more of you will be willing to focus now on how the entire squad should sort out for next season...
      Interested in your thoughts on the group.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Jun 03, 2017 02:55:32 pm
      So if Klopp is building a team to compete on four fronts, with an eye toward the depth we need when we have three matches in 7-8 days. I think that is what the has learned we struggle with under his style of play. You need almost two sets of 11. For the coming season it could loook like this (I will leave the first choice, second choice to the rest of you)

GK: Migs, Karius

RB: Clyne, TAA
      RCB: Matip, Lovren
      LCB: VVD or other new signing, Gomez/Klavan
      LB: New Signing, Milner

Holding Mid: Can, Henderson
      Box to Box Mid: Keita or other signing, Wijnaldum
      Attacking Mid: Coutinho, Lallana

Left Forward: Saleh, Origi
      Center Forward: Firminho, Sturridge (new signing?)
      Right Forward: Mane (PLEASE come back as good as you were), Woodburn/Ings

How does that work for you?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #34: Jul 13, 2017 03:52:49 pm
      Thought I'd bump this up for anyone wishing to talk about the makeup of this season's first team squad.

Solanke is the main addition that wasn't included in our speculation previously.

After last night, we may want to consider Grujic as more of a candidate.

Anyone?
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #35: Jul 16, 2017 09:03:15 am
      So if Klopp is building a team to compete on four fronts, with an eye toward the depth we need when we have three matches in 7-8 days. I think that is what the has learned we struggle with under his style of play. You need almost two sets of 11. For the coming season it could loook like this (I will leave the first choice, second choice to the rest of you)

GK: Migs, Karius

RB: Clyne, TAA
      RCB: Matip, Lovren
      LCB: VVD or other new signing, Gomez/Klavan
      LB: New Signing, Milner

Holding Mid: Can, Henderson
      Box to Box Mid: Keita or other signing, Wijnaldum
      Attacking Mid: Coutinho, Lallana

Left Forward: Saleh, Origi
      Center Forward: Firminho, Sturridge (new signing?)
      Right Forward: Mane (PLEASE come back as good as you were), Woodburn/Ings

How does that work for you?

My 10p worth

Robertson & VVD  with a kissed and made up Sakho back playing  bolsters our defence no end ,TAA knocking on the door pushing our new RB for the jersey with Milly maybe doing a number when required Clyne isnt a fav.I thought of Koulibaly instead Of VVD and he is cheaper quoted at £52 million so thats another option, is VVD `s Premiership experience worth the extra £18 million.??

As for mid, Kieta some player ,and another holding midfielder ,Hendersons got an important season IMO on many levels   

Up front,how rapid are we going to be
       Im delighted Salah is here along with the young lad Solanke both very much with a point to prove to the doubters, there were a couple of guys I thought we were made up for but one daft f**ker went to Wolves the other is Gelson Martins guy plays either wing but also can do a number at right back  I wouldnt mind seeing him at start of the season I`d take him over Brandt purely because of his ability to play RB.add Kramaric and Angel Correa who are this weeks choices as our new striker know nothing about either.
      Cherry on top marquis signing would be Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang , AC and Chelsea are favs ,over to you Jürgen.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Jul 16, 2017 02:35:37 pm
      The remnant of fans hanging on to hope about Sakho returning reminds me of the 70s and fans hoping for a Beatles reunion. It countered every bit of info about how the parties themselves felt about such an idea (had no interest) but still, hope lingered.

Mama is gone and will be sold when he's fit enough to pass a medical.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #37: Jul 16, 2017 05:58:47 pm
      The remnant of fans hanging on to hope about Sakho returning reminds me of the 70s and fans hoping for a Beatles reunion. It countered every bit of info about how the parties themselves felt about such an idea (had no interest) but still, hope lingered.

Mama is gone and will be sold when he's fit enough to pass a medical.

People said the same thing about him at PSG....Though a decent player the management and coaching staff wanted him gone for various indiscretions however there was just a cult hero status built around his interactions with PSG supporters that went way beyond his actual contributions on the pitch. Intesting that both PSG and LFC have seen what happens beyond the pitch and behind the scene's and deemed him not worth the hassles while the supporters of both clubs hold him on a pedestal.

Either the management and staff of both clubs are clueless or Mama is quite adept at working on his outside persona and knows how to play it up like no other.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jul 17, 2017 01:02:03 am
      People said the same thing about him at PSG....Though a decent player the management and coaching staff wanted him gone for various indiscretions however there was just a cult hero status built around his interactions with PSG supporters that went way beyond his actual contributions on the pitch. Intesting that both PSG and LFC have seen what happens beyond the pitch and behind the scene's and deemed him not worth the hassles while the supporters of both clubs hold him on a pedestal.

Either the management and staff of both clubs are clueless or Mama is quite adept at working on his outside persona and knows how to play it up like no other.

Voting for the latter option here. He can be commanding at a times but he dallies on the ball too often and obviously his "free-spirit" can end up being disruptive. I don't see Klopp as a one offense and you're done type. He must have truly worn the boss out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #39: Jul 19, 2017 10:35:56 am
      Our midfield players are Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho and Grujic since Lucas has left and Stewart almost done deal.

It think we're cover if Lallana and Coutinho will be in the middle area but if not we're in trouble. We need a defensive midfielder or box to box.

I know we're talking about Keita but we need to have other good options.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Jul 19, 2017 02:57:59 pm
      Our midfield players are Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho and Grujic since Lucas has left and Stewart almost done deal.

It think we're cover if Lallana and Coutinho will be in the middle area but if not we're in trouble. We need a defensive midfielder or box to box.

I know we're talking about Keita but we need to have other good options.

Adam and Phil will be attacking mids, pretty certain, but the other mids seem to span anywhere from #6 to #8. Henderson is a 6, but if we signed Keita, wouldn't Can, Keita and Phil be our first-choice, three-main midfield?

If it's not Keita, I'm not convinced we will sign a midfielder. Ovie Ejaria might get some run-outs as well. Kind of surprised he is not on the tour with Ben and Trent.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #41: Jul 26, 2017 02:45:10 pm
      Deffo think that Klopp is so persistent with getting Keita for us to play a 4 2 3 1 which will give us more options for the 3 positions behind the main striker. It does mean that he will dump the 4 3 3 but the later formation would have probably been his 1st choice if we had the players when he first came here. With that said if Coutinho did leave (god forbid he doesnt) but if he did, lallana,Mané,firmino could play there if we needed to. I'm also one of the people who thinks that Firmino won't get 20 goals in a season but for once we do have alot of striker options if they stay fit. Solanke, Origi and ings could all play that lone striker role which I'm afraid can't be said the same for sturridge because he hasn't got the work rate that Klopp demands. So if we don't get Keita I think he'll stick with the 4 3 3 which gives us less options I feel.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #42: Jul 27, 2017 12:12:25 am
      Pedro Chirivella has gone on loan to Willem II
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #43: Jul 27, 2017 12:47:52 am
      Pedro Chirivella has gone on loan to Willem II

Looked decent in pre-season. Interesting that he's been loaned out because by what Jürgen has said in the past he likes to keep the better prospects with the first team to train them up.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #44: Jul 27, 2017 01:00:05 am
      Looked decent in pre-season. Interesting that he's been loaned out because by what Jürgen has said in the past he likes to keep the better prospects with the first team to train them up.

Tbh not long seen it posted on one of those Liverpool pages on FB at the dutch ground in the club's shirt.

Trying to remember, did he go out on loan last season? Agreed about him looking decent in the pre-season games so far, but if you look at the players we've got in midfield at the moment, could be a good idea for him to go out on loan.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #45: Jul 27, 2017 01:09:06 am
      Tbh not long seen it posted on one of those Liverpool pages on FB at the dutch ground in the club's shirt.

Trying to remember, did he go out on loan last season? Agreed about him looking decent in the pre-season games so far, but if you look at the players we've got in midfield at the moment, could be a good idea for him to go out on loan.

Yeah, was at the Go-Ahead Eagles according to:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/297409/History/Pedro-Chirivella

Agree that he needs a loan and that he is definitely behind the current squad but I thought there was a chance Jürgen would keep him with the first team this year after his promising pre-season.

Looks like he's got some talent.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #46: Jul 27, 2017 08:04:15 pm
      XI v. XI today was really good to watch...the gaffer really pushes the intensity.

Salah is quick as lighting and Albert spent more time getting nutmegged on his arse then he did running.  :)
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2017 08:00:36 am
      Looking at our business so far we have no where near addressed what we were lacking last season. In fact if you look at the sales of Lucas and Stewart we have weakneed the group in 2 positions when regards to Lucas. The pursuit of Keita would put him in Wijnaldums position I would imagine. Yes he could play in a DM role but try put Keita as a CB when he's only 5ft and a rizla paper. That's what we've lost as a group now Lucas has gone. Yes it looks admirable that FSG would back our manager with £70 million + for one player it still doesn't address the situation. We are woefully short on quality in defencive positions for us to be pumping £70 million on one midfielder. OK Robertson is a natural left back so that's a plus and we are still sniffing around VVD but buying VVD would only be replacing the outgoing Sakho. I may sound greedy but for us to compete we need 4 quality CB,s 2 quality LB,s and 2 quality RB,s. We've got 1 CB who would get in any of the top 6 sides in Matip that can't be said of Lovren, Klaven and Gomez. Milner performed admirably last season at LB but the clue is he's not a LB. I'm not going to slag off Robertson as he is a natural LB but when you look at city pay over £100 million on their full back positions £10 million is small change for a position that we are in dire need of. I thought Clyne was woefully on times last season and his cover is a 18yr old potencially good full back. I may sound uninspired but for us to spend £70 million on a box to box midfielder who, in my opinion we could do without and spend £10 million on a position we are desperate for is the crime here. We are still expected (if it ever happens) to spend £50 million + on VVD so for me that would be £120 million on 2 positions and that's without the added speculation that Coutinho could go. I think we could spend our transfer money a little wiser IMO. We've bought Salah and yes we needed him but as cover for Mane when we lost him last season and everything went south. So it looks like we'll be playing the both of them in the same team now, where's the cover there. If Phil stays he'll be playing a more deeper role so will he also be asked to play on the wing if Mane or Salah gets an injury? What happened to us looking at Pulisic as cover seen as we're also going to be selling Markovic and sending Ojo and Kent on loan. I think we could come unstuck again next season. We have striker options now and I suppose Studge could play either wing but it's square pegs in round holes again...getting quite worried now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #48: Jul 28, 2017 06:00:46 pm
      Connor Randall has gone on season long loan to Hearts.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #49: Jul 29, 2017 01:57:39 am
      With amount games we play next season we be Lucky fhish 6 in league lf we don't bring in any more player's
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #50: Jul 30, 2017 06:14:44 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFCknowledge/status/891700917891989504

By the sounds of things could be a case of starting the season with either Trent-Arnold or Gomez at right-back.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Jul 30, 2017 07:43:01 pm
      I'd go for Trent personally, he's looked a bit cute bombing down the right a few times pre season.

Agreed. But Gomez is really making a strong claim to be involved. I certainly hope we don't loan him out.

If TAA and Robertson are the starting fullbacks, there are actually three players in the squad with first team experience who can provide cover at both right and left back (Clyne, Milner, Gomez). Gomez can also play center back. That doesn't address the need for better quality at center back in the first XI, but we will need some depth. in the back.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #52: Jul 31, 2017 07:48:13 am
      I am hoping so much that Sturridge can get back to his devastating best. If we can get him in the team along with Mane and Salah, I don't think any defence would be able to keep up with them.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #53: Jul 31, 2017 06:31:30 pm
      But we still leak in lot goals our back line is very poor in cbacks kalven sh*t
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #54: Jul 31, 2017 06:44:03 pm
      Connor Randall has gone on season long loan to Hearts.

WTF , whos his advisors the Chuckle Bros.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: Aug 01, 2017 07:19:22 am
      With Solanke on board,  Bobby leading the line , Sturridge fit (?) ,Origi improving and Ings returning from injury  ..... we've a few players there to pick from for the Salah and Mane crosses.

Couts and Adam behind .....................    would you want to defend against any combo of that lot ?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: Aug 01, 2017 01:32:42 pm
      With Solanke on board,  Bobby leading the line , Sturridge fit (?) ,Origi improving and Ings returning from injury  ..... we've a few players there to pick from for the Salah and Mane crosses.

Couts and Adam behind .....................    would you want to defend against any combo of that lot ?

For me, this:

A teamsheet to strike fear into the largest of parked busses.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #57: Aug 01, 2017 05:12:09 pm
      For me, this:

Surprised at how many on here don't have Can in the first XI. I think he's one of the first names on the sheet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #58: Aug 01, 2017 06:11:43 pm
      For me, this:

So no Wijnaldum in the squad at all?

Take Sturridge and Karious out, they'll be on the bench, add Mignolet in goal, Wijnaldum or Can to midfield and that'll be more like our team to start against Watford
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #59: Aug 01, 2017 07:36:09 pm
      So no Wijnaldum in the squad at all?

Take Sturridge and Karious out, they'll be on the bench, add Mignolet in goal, Wijnaldum or Can to midfield and that'll be more like our team to start against Watford

Nah, ignore the subs. I was playing around with it for an unrelated thing before. It was just the first team I was pointing out. Gini would clearly be on the bench for this team but I also believe in squad rotation so there'd be games he'd get in. All I'm trying to demonstrate here is that we can get Sturridge into the same side as Firmino and have what would probably be the best attacking side in the league. Defence shows we still need a lot of work doing on it though. Atacking wise though, we have options and can use mulitiple formations.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #60: Aug 01, 2017 10:13:48 pm
      Nah, ignore the subs. I was playing around with it for an unrelated thing before. It was just the first team I was pointing out. Gini would clearly be on the bench for this team but I also believe in squad rotation so there'd be games he'd get in. All I'm trying to demonstrate here is that we can get Sturridge into the same side as Firmino and have what would probably be the best attacking side in the league. Defence shows we still need a lot of work doing on it though. Atacking wise though, we have options and can use mulitiple formations.

As shown though with tonight I just don't think Sturridge is an absolute starter. Changing my mind already on the goalies as Karius looked very comfortable playing against Bayern.

And agree that we've actually got options to change if squad rotation is needed - just need to keep our players fit!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #61: Aug 01, 2017 10:59:06 pm
      As shown though with tonight I just don't think Sturridge is an absolute starter. Changing my mind already on the goalies as Karius looked very comfortable playing against Bayern.

And agree that we've actually got options to change if squad rotation is needed - just need to keep our players fit!!

No, tend to agree with you on Sturridge. Still don't think Firmino is the answer either though. We need an out-and-out striker who will net 20-25 goals a season. Still, if we substitute Sturridge for someone like that, it shows how we can get them on the pitch along with Firmino. Stick a Kane or Lukaku infront of those three and we're unstoppable going forward.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #62: Aug 01, 2017 11:02:53 pm
      No, tend to agree with you on Sturridge. Still don't think Firmino is the answer either though. We need an out-and-out striker who will net 20-25 goals a season. Still, if we substitute Sturridge for someone like that, it shows how we can get them on the pitch along with Firmino. Stick a Kane or Lukaku infront of those three and we're unstoppable going forward.

What if Bobby is setting up Mane, Saleh and Phil for 20 each, will that work?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #63: Aug 01, 2017 11:12:47 pm
      What if Bobby is setting up Mane, Saleh and Phil for 20 each, will that work?

You're still down 25 goals a season. The entire point is you can get Firmino on the pitch with an out-and-out striker whilst having Mane and Salah as wingers. It's been suggested in the past that it's one or the other. I'm demonstrating that it's not. Firmino only scored 12 goals last season. That's no where near enough for someone at the head of the attack. So add that to Coutinho's 14 goals and Mane's 13 (he'd probably have gotten more if not injured) and Salah's fifteen and we're only getting 39 goals from our front three. Kane got 29 by himself. So like I said, chuck someone with his prowess infront of those three and we're more potent.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #64: Aug 01, 2017 11:14:30 pm

We scored 78 goals last season in the PL which is our second best tally since 1986....if we added a 20-25 goal a season striker who are you taking the goals away from?..you are not proposing that we are going to average 100 plus goals every season are you?

If you take Bobby away then you subtract out his 10 goals (which I believe will be greater this year) So now we are really only adding 15 more goals to the squad with Bobby on the bench.

Moving Coutinho to the mid is not going to take away his goals and adding Salah up top there isn't good for an additional 10 more goals?

Now were talking only talking about adding 5 goals to the squad using what we have now.

I am sorry we did not falter last year because we couldn't score ...we faltered because we shipped out 42 goals where a squad like Spurs only gave away 26 and Chelsea 33.

We faltered last year against low block clubs because with Mane out we had no width, and to be honest I think the gaffer was a bit stubborn with the way he approached those January matches. We have Salah now and on top of that I think the manager learned how to manage those 11 at the back clubs as evidenced by the grind it out matches we went undefeated in at the end of the season.

Same goal output and  shave off 10-12 of those goals conceded and we are just fine.

We need a top CB far more than a 25/year forward so much so it's not even funny.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017 11:23:06 pm by AZPatriot »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Aug 01, 2017 11:15:02 pm
      You're still down 25 goals a season. The entire point is you can get Firmino on the pitch with an out-and-out striker whilst having Mane and Salah as wingers. It's been suggested in the past that it's one or the other. I'm demonstrating that it's not.

How are you down 25? In all competitions last season we scored 92 goals. Top scorers were Phil 14, Sadio 13, Bobby 12 and Divock 11 (these 4 add up to 50). Other players combined scored 40, with 2 own goals. If Sadio, Phil and Mo each scored 20, you'd be up 10 from our top 4, plus whatever the rest of the team score. If Bobby didn't score a single goal,but was instrumental in the system to create all these goals from the other 3 (and from others), it will be part of a huge season (providing we can defend a little bit  :) ).

I'm not predicting any such stats, but having one of our forwards do more creating than scoring doesn't need to be a problem.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #66: Aug 01, 2017 11:22:09 pm
      How are you down 25? In all competitions last season we scored 92 goals. Top scorers were Phil 14, Sadio 13, Bobby 12 and Divock 11 (these 4 add up to 50). Other players combined scored 40, with 2 own goals. If Sadio, Phil and Mo each scored 20, you'd be up 10 from our top 4, plus whatever the rest of the team score. If Bobby didn't score a single goal,but was instrumental in the system to create all these goals from the other 3 (and from others), it will be part of a huge season (providing we can defend a little bit  :) ).

I'm not predicting any such stats, but having one of our forwards do more creating than scoring doesn't need to be a problem.

Bloody hell. Existing front three plus 25 goal a season out-and-out Striker or existing front three without. Do the math, mate.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #67: Aug 02, 2017 12:06:06 am
      We looked a bit..... heavy, and not in the good way in midfield first half... two big players not complimenting each other... I'd never have Can and Hendo together, both seem too DM style, I'd rather have one of the two alongside a nice quick player like Gigi.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Aug 02, 2017 02:32:27 pm
      Bloody hell. Existing front three plus 25 goal a season out-and-out Striker or existing front three without. Do the math, mate.

Bloody Hell yourself. The numbers i mentioned are higher.

You know the system we play. It's not set up for one guy to score the majority of the goals. Our threat is based in part on being able to hit them so many ways. Bobby can score some, but is also very good at setting up others to score. He fits very well into that system.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #69: Aug 02, 2017 05:42:57 pm
      Bloody Hell yourself. The numbers i mentioned are higher.

You know the system we play. It's not set up for one guy to score the majority of the goals. Our threat is based in part on being able to hit them so many ways. Bobby can score some, but is also very good at setting up others to score. He fits very well into that system.

Oh my god, mate, think. It doesn't matter how high a number you want to attribute to Coutinho, Mane Fimino and Salah scoring, you're still down 25 goals a season because you've removed the 25 goals a season striker I proposed. I haven't suggested removing those four players, I've simply demonstrated a formation that allows for them and a 25 goals a season striker to be in the same team. Sheesh.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #70: Aug 02, 2017 06:08:55 pm
      Klopp says it best...

“I know people think about this, but in our ‘non-existing Plan B’ they always talk about offensive things but that makes not too much sense because we scored absolutely enough goals. If we concede less and score the same number, that would make the biggest difference.

“We have to be concentrated on this, we have to defend different situations better and not to think about how we could make the other teams crazy with all the qualities we have.

“With the quality and skills of the boys, you immediately have different options offensively – but to be organised is the main thing. If you have four or five very offensively orientated players then all good, that’s what everybody wants… if they are ready to defend"

“Otherwise you have no chance – you will have how we felt a few times, you can have 80 per cent possession but in the end if they have one situation then 1-0.

“We need to make sure that this one situation is not enough or these two situations are not enough against us. Being ready for these moments, that’s the next step we have to do in our progress – that we get more and more used to that we are a possession team and that we are really ready to defend these one, two or three situations the other teams have, which has hurt us so far a lot."

“We will score goals, 100 per cent. In the end, if we score one then that needs to be enough in a lot of games and gives you the freedom to improve more and more in different other offensive situations – but only if you are really organised.

“It’s about organisation. It’s about different things, but not about how I bring all my offensively skilled boys on the pitch. Who wants to be in this team needs to be ready for organisation, that’s 100 per cent – then we can play football, and very well by the way.”

We scored 8 less than Spurs last season, and conceded 16 more. Yet it is our attack that we need to change?? Don't get it myself.

Quick Reply