Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Congratulations to Rafa

Read 3399 times
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 413 posts | 53 
      Congratulations to Rafa
      May 12, 2017 01:16:56 pm
      What a massive gamble Rafa took staying on at Newcastle.  His CV and reputation could have been shot to pieces if he had not got promotion at the first attempt, never mind as champions.

There would not be a cat in hell's chance of Mourinho or Guardiola doing anything like this. for me this proves he is the better manager.

well done RAFA  :celebrate: :clap:
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Re: Congratulations to Rafa
      Reply #1: May 12, 2017 06:14:46 pm
      What a massive gamble Rafa took staying on at Newcastle.  His CV and reputation could have been shot to pieces if he had not got promotion at the first attempt, never mind as champions.

There would not be a cat in hell's chance of Mourinho or Guardiola doing anything like this. for me this proves he is the better manager.

well done RAFA  :celebrate: :clap:

Forgive the slight alteration, mate.  But I think it's equally apt.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: May 12, 2017 10:15:23 pm
      I'll have that Mick.

I have to add though, I'm not up with the news at the moment but has he signed to stay long term or something?

Yeah. He's agreed a deal to stay on with them.
      Well done, Rafa.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3: May 12, 2017 10:23:37 pm
      Love the man
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #4: May 12, 2017 10:28:47 pm
      Was mad to think that Rafa was managing in the Champions League one season then the Championship the next. He would have had many offers across Europe after Newcastle got relegated but he showed a lot of class by sticking with them,  congrats Rafa.
      It's all water under the bridge now but when Kenny got sacked in 2012 I thought Rafa could have stepped back in then. To replace Rafa with Hodgson and Kenny with Brendan were not only poor decisions but insults to great managers...IMO.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #5: May 13, 2017 12:13:07 am
      Was mad to think that Rafa was managing in the Champions League one season then the Championship the next. He would have had many offers across Europe after Newcastle got relegated but he showed a lot of class by sticking with them,  congrats Rafa.
      It's all water under the bridge now but when Kenny got sacked in 2012 I thought Rafa could have stepped back in then. To replace Rafa with Hodgson and Kenny with Brendan were not only poor decisions but insults to great managers...IMO.
      I can go with the Hodgson bit but I think the Rogers bit is a bit harsh, we were a Joe Allen open goal miss v Everton,  a Kolo Toure gimme pass v WBA ,  and the famous slip from what would have been a wonderful achievement.  And who can forget that spell where we went mad destroying Arsenal in the first half, Everton, Southampton away,  Man Utd 3-0 away with another 3 penalties denied, scoring 6 at Cardiff. Just my opinion.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #6: May 13, 2017 12:51:36 am
      I can go with the Hodgson bit but I think the Rogers bit is a bit harsh, we were a Joe Allen open goal miss v Everton,  a Kolo Toure gimme pass v WBA ,  and the famous slip from what would have been a wonderful achievement.  And who can forget that spell where we went mad destroying Arsenal in the first half, Everton, Southampton away,  Man Utd 3-0 away with another 3 penalties denied, scoring 6 at Cardiff. Just my opinion.

I wasn't having a pop at Rogers he nearly achieved a place in Anfield folklore had things gone our way but you're talking with the view of hindsight. What I meant was Kenny was a born winner who in 2012 steered us to two cup finals winning our first trophy for six seasons. I don't believe he deserved the sack in the first place but if we had to change manager Kenny should only have been replaced by a 'better' manager like Rafa or dare I say it Mourinho, better in the sense that they had won Europe's top honours.
      Replacing a proven winner like Kenny with a manager from a team lower in the league who had never won a thing made no sense to me, I was very disappointed I'm not saying we'd have won the league under Dalglish but we're improving I think.
      Going back to Rafa when he was sacked by H+G I wasn't surprised because his relationship with them had soured but we should he appointed KD straight away not bothering with Hodgson and Rafa could have come back three or four years down the line, that's not after the event that's what I wanted at the time of Rafas sacking.
      As I say it's all gone now, not that I can't let something go.... ;)
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #7: May 13, 2017 12:56:51 am

I wasn't having a pop at Rogers he nearly achieved a place in Anfield folklore had things gone our way but you're talking with the view of hindsight. What I meant was Kenny was a born winner who in 2012 steered us to two cup finals winning our first trophy for six seasons. I don't believe he deserved the sack in the first place but if we had to change manager Kenny should only have been replaced by a 'better' manager like Rafa or dare I say it Mourinho, better in the sense that they had won Europe's top honours.
      Replacing a proven winner like Kenny with a manager from a team lower in the league who had never won a thing made no sense to me, I was very disappointed I'm not saying we'd have won the league under Dalglish but we're improving I think.
      Going back to Rafa when he was sacked by H+G I wasn't surprised because his relationship with them had soured but we should have appointed KD straight away not bothering with Hodgson and Rafa could have come back three or four years down the line, that's not after the event that's what I wanted at the time of Rafas sacking.
      As I say it's all gone now, not that I can't let something go.... ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #8: May 13, 2017 07:34:03 am
      How many trophies has Rafa won since his unfair dismissal?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #9: May 13, 2017 08:25:11 am
      More than we have managed to do which to be fair wasn't difficult .
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: May 13, 2017 08:27:11 am
      Well done RAFA,you will always be a hero in my eyes.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #11: May 13, 2017 10:27:44 pm
      Rafa should have never left...I curse those who made him go.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: May 14, 2017 11:41:52 am
      Nice one Rafa and at least you had the guts to pick up the poisoned chalice that is Newcastle. However don't trust that bluffer in charge.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #13: May 15, 2017 01:29:37 pm
      i think Rafa got a bit hung up on fighting with Hicks & Gillette and they decided to sell the club and thought it would be easier with Rafa out of the way.  Hence Hodgson, who was a safe replacement while the club was sold.  And i mean safe as his persona, not that the club was in good hands.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #14: May 15, 2017 03:14:25 pm

I suppose we could saunter over to the Rafa thread and find out, wonder why we have two Rafa threads now?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: May 15, 2017 04:04:04 pm
      I suppose we could saunter over to the Rafa thread and find out, wonder why we have two Rafa threads now?

Cos winning the European Cup has that effect!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: May 15, 2017 09:19:03 pm

Because RAFA had the guts to stand up to twit and tw*t when the  bas**rds supposedly owned us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #17: May 16, 2017 12:25:15 am
      Because RAFA had the guts to stand up to twit and tw*t when the  bas**rds supposedly owned us.

Yea...that's awesome. Then I suppose we should have at least 3 threads for King Kenny then.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: May 16, 2017 12:54:06 am
      Well, this topic just about made it to about the 6th reply before it went into the usual Rafa talk.

Rafa Thread Here.
      May as well have it in the right topic if the same old circle is going to continue.

Quick Reply