Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Southampton?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (1.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.7%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (3.4%)
      Joel Matip
      18 (31%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      9 (15.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      3 (5.2%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (3.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (5.2%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Marko Grujić
      7 (12.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      6 (10.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 11, 2017 03:24:45 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29523 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: May 09, 2017 02:24:39 pm
      If you don't appreciate how well Lucas has played for us in recent games, there is something missing with you mate aha.

He has been great for us in controlling possession actually being the only one with balls to make defense splitting passes.

And, in fact it was his ball that led to the penalty.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #530: May 09, 2017 03:59:46 pm
      Same old same old!!!

I'm getting fed up with players saying on the build up to games how they are going to fight to get the champions league place and then they come out and perform like they have in the last few games.  Anyone can talk a good fight it's now time to stop making false promises and just get on with it.

Thing is if we manage to get 4th place and scum win the europa league does that not kick us out of the champions league????

If that is the case i would rather not finish 4th.  :mad:

Nope only worry was if Leicester had gone on to win the European Cup and the Mancs win Europa, then 4th place would of been fu**ed off.

Agree about the players, I wish sometimes they would shut the F**k up and just get on with the job in hand, get European qualification, then they can mouth off as much as they want, until then they need to pipe the F**k down.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #531: May 09, 2017 04:48:01 pm
      I want to clarify sometime so hopefully you all will understand where i am coming from... I am not a big fan of Lucas...But like with any player I try to past judgement fairly... In the Lucas vs Southampton game he did so little wrong, and it could be said that because of Lucas Southampton's chances were seriously restricted, but over all i felt that Southampton were happy to sit back and soak it all up, and hope for a set piece in which to win the game, so i question not Lucas but why we needed a DMF in the first place

But then if we're caught on the counter-attack we hear about Klopp not being practical enough for the demands of English football. I think the way we attack with seven players (usually), that holding role is a must. As some have pointed out, Lucas still managed to contribute to some key moments of late. I am convinced he is not a long-term first choice action, but he's a top guy and a valuable part of the squad if he wants to play that role going forward. He's won me over in the past few games, just as Emre has convinced me from this January when he was a giveaway machine and I wanted to jettison him in the worst way. I was very premature in that and it reminds me I don't want to overreact to some off games from Gini. Doesn't mean we don't need to add quality (because we do), but this coaching staff has the ability to improve players and a number of our players are still quite young.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 573 
      Reply #532: May 09, 2017 04:58:40 pm
      We don't have the winning mentality that makes champions - we buy players who settle
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #533: May 09, 2017 08:44:55 pm
      It's no different for Chelsea though is it. Regardless of who they play, they will have a defensive mid playing, but should they really need that against the weaker teams? The only difference is they are a much more effective unit at the moment, have consistency throughout their team and are all working well together. They don't even have a 'Plan B', they play the same way every game and have only come unstuck a few times.
      You look at their team and they have virtually the same group of players starting every game, we haven't, we are constantly having to change players about because of injury.
      Besides the injuries there are two main differences between Chelsea and us, they have real games changes on thier bench, and we struggle against weaker opposition, but yes I see your point
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #534: May 10, 2017 12:09:05 am
      In the pre match thread I mentioned not playing Lucas and going for Lallana instead. I agree with the real Donavan that there was no real reason to play a DM in this fixture despite Lucas good form of late.

For the record I really like Lucas, he's a favourite of mine, but I wanted to see a bit more pace and creativity in the middle which we've lacked for several games now. We might have been picking up points but we've done so not very convincingly.

It just so happened that Lucas was our best midfielder yet again on Sunday. He had a decent game so there was no mistake in picking him. He did his job well covering for the back four and giving them protection and in terms of going forward he did more than wijnaldum and can put together. 

Wijnaldum was actuallt a passenger. He barely touched the ball and he was the worst player on the pitch. So really it as was him that shouldn't have played. But it's easy to sit here and say that now. How many of us would have left him out of our starting 11 before kick off? Not many I bet.

Wijnaldum has actually been disappointing for a few games now. He is either tired or he's struggling to play in a midfield with can and Lucas. I do think he comes to life a bit more with 'pass and move' type players in the team like Lallana and Henderson.

I watched West Ham play Spurs the other night and they were well up for it, they looked good. If they play like that against us we are in for a very tough time. We can't afford any shithouses or passengers for this one. That's something you definitely don't get with Lucas so he's first name on the team sheet for me.

rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #535: May 10, 2017 08:31:28 am
      In the pre match thread I mentioned not playing Lucas and going for Lallana instead. I agree with the real Donavan that there was no real reason to play a DM in this fixture despite Lucas good form of late.

For the record I really like Lucas, he's a favourite of mine, but I wanted to see a bit more pace and creativity in the middle which we've lacked for several games now. We might have been picking up points but we've done so not very convincingly.

It just so happened that Lucas was our best midfielder yet again on Sunday. He had a decent game so there was no mistake in picking him. He did his job well covering for the back four and giving them protection and in terms of going forward he did more than wijnaldum and can put together. 

Wijnaldum was actuallt a passenger. He barely touched the ball and he was the worst player on the pitch. So really it as was him that shouldn't have played. But it's easy to sit here and say that now. How many of us would have left him out of our starting 11 before kick off? Not many I bet.

Wijnaldum has actually been disappointing for a few games now. He is either tired or he's struggling to play in a midfield with can and Lucas. I do think he comes to life a bit more with 'pass and move' type players in the team like Lallana and Henderson.

I watched West Ham play Spurs the other night and they were well up for it, they looked good. If they play like that against us we are in for a very tough time. We can't afford any shithouses or passengers for this one. That's something you definitely don't get with Lucas so he's first name on the team sheet for me.

Agree with Wijnaldum I would leave him out for this one and bring him back for Boro. Adam into Midfield for W Ham will need his energy on Sunday
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #536: May 11, 2017 05:08:36 pm
      Arsenal's result against Southampton last night showed, how the lack of a goal poacher, a la Fowler, let us down last week. Arsenal's  general play was a bad as ours with seemingly no idea how to break a stubborn defence down. Then a born goal poacher came up with a goal to break their resistance. If  our best striker had been played form the start, rather than being brought on for the last few minutes, then I feel sure that in the ninety minutes Sturbridge would have had at least a couple of chances which he would have taken. The boss carries the can for not playing him much, much earlier.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #537: May 13, 2017 03:17:18 pm
      All this crap about wee Lucas  ,very clever player and has come in for injured players that would have started before him ,he is coming to the end of his Liverpool career ,and will warrant a testimonial ,yet so called fans making him the scapegoat week after week,rather pathetic yet these same so called fans would be asking for a selfie if they met him ,2 faced c@nts.remember it was his assist that led to Canns goal of the season

Quick Reply