Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.

Read 11027 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.
      Reply #46: May 19, 2017 10:20:36 am
      I would say the season has been more erratic than successful,In some games we have played like world beaters and other games we have been sh*te.If we improve the squad and improve our consistency then next season should see number 19 arrive at Anfield.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: May 19, 2017 10:41:07 am
      I would say the season has been more erratic than successful,In some games we have played like world beaters and other games we have been sh*te.If we improve the squad and improve our consistency then next season should see number 19 arrive at Anfield.

This is the problem. We don't just need to improve our own standards but we need to improve above the standards of City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and United. We don't just need to be more consistent in relation to ourselves, we need to be more consistent than they are. We're in an arms race and since FSG bought the club, as much as they've done wonders off field with sponsorships, new stand and paying down debts, when it comes to the transfer market we're still behind everyone else, buying a calibre of player that is less than those bought by Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs and City, which is why finishing in the top four and title challenges remain the exception rather than the rule. Until we get serious about this arms race and buy players with Champions League experience rather than relegation battle experience, we're never going to enjoy successful seasons on a consistent basis.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #48: May 20, 2017 07:19:35 pm
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      But are we much improved? Think about this for a moment. If we do finish 4th, we'll have done so by clinging on with tooth and nail. We won't have done so by our own merits but rather by the failings of other teams. If Arsenal and United had enjoyed what could be considered a normal season by their standards

That's their problem.

We'll have what we deserve at 5pm local time tomorrow. Nobody bar Chelsea of the leading clubs, can say they had a perfect season. Everyone has screwed up at some point, how did Spurs lose at West Ham where everyone else around them in the table won? How did Arsenal take 1 point from 6 away games of those around them? How did City fall apart from October onwards? How did we not score against Southampton at all? How did we score 5 against Bournemouth and drop 5 points? The list is endless.

The table is over 38 games, and you get what you deserve after 38 games. If we get 4th, it will be achieved on our own merits, and it will be what we set out for 9 months ago.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #49: May 21, 2017 09:05:03 am
      Leicester win the league last season, and we're talking about finishing in the top four as progress! Strange one isn't it?

I do see progress when comparing previous seasons, our record against the big boys is incredible, or record against the supposed Canon fodder had been poor. It led me to question the attitude of our players which was saddening.
      Klopp has proved his worth, and I believe he is taking us in the right direction, I just wish he was in more of a hurry to get there.

No trophies, so no this season has not been a success.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: May 21, 2017 09:16:14 am
      I don't think it's been successful. We haven't won a trophy and we're relying on a win in the final game of the season to get into the top 4 after being in the top 2 on 11 occasions this season. We've made progress in the league compared to last season but we also came close to winning two trophies last season.

Getting top 4 should not make our season a success, that's the bare minimum we should be achieving every season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,688 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #51: May 21, 2017 09:38:07 am
      It all depends on our game today. If we win, we would reach our bare minimum. Not successful because we did not win any silverware but good standard. If we draw or lose, we will be disappointed and unsuccessful. Disastrous season it would be with where we were.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #52: May 21, 2017 01:58:22 pm
      No tbh, trophies make a successful season, for a club as big as Liverpool. Sorry to sound so blunt.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #53: May 21, 2017 02:02:44 pm
      You get what you get cant change heehaw just learn from it ,biggest gripe for me was the Bournemouth and Hull games, just like the West Ham, Chelsea,  and Everton games had me in raptures in the boozer waxing lyrical about Jürgen and the boys.
      I wouldn't say we would win the league but a stronger squad would have seen a good few points more in our total come the end of the season.
      As for the goals we have scored this season world class top drawer f***in awesome especially Mr Can Cans  wee Couts, Bobby and his belter at Hull  the list goes on and on  Mane`s against Arsenal , knock yerself  out with the link.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liverpool+goals+2016%2F17
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #54: May 21, 2017 02:08:22 pm
      Quote from mcarz
      I don't think it's been successful. We haven't won a trophy and we're relying on a win in the final game of the season to get into the top 4 after being in the top 2 on 11 occasions this season. We've made progress in the league compared to last season but we also came close to winning two trophies last season.

Getting top 4 should not make our season a success, that's the bare minimum we should be achieving every season.

I agree it shouldn't be a success, but relative to where we finished last year, it will be a success. We've finished well ahead of the mancs, and we're set to depose Arsenal from their annual European Cup spot.

20 years ago we were 2nd on the final day, in a ECQ spot, but finished 4th. Then we were at Sheffield Wednesday looking to wrap it up. Today we're at home, and we're well capable of thrashing that shower. Get a couple of early goals and they will pack it in. Then we can focus on how things are going in the City game, where 3 goals will be enough for third, if they only get a point. So we have the incentive to keep at it until the very end.

I always want a home game on the last day. It's the first fixture I look for when the list comes out. It's nice to have when there's nothing at stake, and it's critical when we need a result. We've won the last 4 times we've had a home game on the last day, and we haven't lost it since 1989. So there's no reason why we can't get the job done.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2017 02:17:21 pm by lfc across the water »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #55: May 21, 2017 04:30:33 pm
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: May 21, 2017 05:11:36 pm
      That's a YES from me.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #57: May 21, 2017 05:12:59 pm
      Yes just about.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: May 21, 2017 05:20:15 pm
      Successful? I'd go for David Wright's assessment that you need trophies for it to be a successful season (proper trophies, not Mickey Mouse League Cup trophies - F**k that competition off from the start next season).

But satisfactory would be the word I'd go for. 4th place was the minimum and given the competition (and some of the money spent by our rivals...particularly by a certain rival) we have to look at it in relative with them. So 4th place, despite all the changes, is a good step forward and I would definitely have taken it at the start of the year.

Now it's time to build, strengthen and leap on from this season. And for the love of god, F**k that mickey mouse competition off early next season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #59: May 21, 2017 05:23:28 pm
      Trophies are the most important thing but this season is a good basis to work from, overall the cups were a major blow
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,608 posts | 3843 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: May 21, 2017 05:27:03 pm
      YES
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #61: May 21, 2017 05:36:05 pm
      Successful? No.
      Happy with the end result? Yes.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1273 
      Reply #62: May 21, 2017 05:36:44 pm
      Yep, you need trophies to make it a successful season, but it has still been a good season in that we are progressing.

With a net spend but the typically tight fisted FSG, and up against serious spenders this summer (even the notoriously thrifty Arsenal spent much in the summer), getting in the top four is a job well done.

With serious players, and serious investment that other clubs around us do (yet we do not), Jürgen Klopp's Liverpool will be a major force. It is therefore up to FSG to make sure it happens. Klopp's and the team have done their job on the field, now the ball is in the FSG court. Just how serious they are about wanting to make Liverpool a force again will be seen in the next few months.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #63: May 21, 2017 05:38:11 pm
      I think it was a good season after all. We made steps forward and the next seasons should be ones where we go for silverware. I personally think our chances to win the CL are better than PL, but we'll see.

Klopp's to-do-list is simple:

-better defense (we have roughly 10 more goals against us than Chelsea or Tottenham)
      -better offense (we have roughly 10 lesser goals than Chelsea or Tottenham)

I think we need one real-deal-player, either on defense or on offense. Other than that we have enough, maybe some good role players or talents for depth. Klopp's system works very well especially without "superstars", players who stay will have leaned it even better next season. It just all looks promising.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,344 posts | 2818 
      Reply #64: May 21, 2017 07:37:22 pm
      Like many have said, it's hard to call a trophyless season a successful one but there's no doubt it's been a good league campaign.

When you look at the amounts the Manchester clubs spent in comparison to us and how far they (and Spurs and Arsenal) were ahead of us going into the season then you've got to say we've done very well. Yes January's sh*t show cost us a trophy probably (but when Chelsea finish 17 points ahead of you it's difficult to say it cost you a title challenge) but I've no doubt that Jürgen's learnt from it and knows that he needs to be better prepared for next season.

Successful? No. Progression? Absolutely.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #65: May 21, 2017 08:24:46 pm
      4th place is better than a domestic trophy for us at this stage. I think it's been more of a success than if we came 5th and won the FA cup
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #66: May 21, 2017 08:29:40 pm

Successful? No. Progression? Absolutely.

/thread

Nail on the head mate.

Only winning is a success but finishing fourth for only the second time in eight seasons is progress. Onto the next one!

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #67: May 21, 2017 08:30:06 pm
      The league campaign on the whole was a very good one IMHO, particularly given we bafflingly decided to go in with a very thin squad to start with then not strengthen it in January. Both of those decisions were poor ones IMHO, and to have still finished ahead of Arsenal and Man Utd despite them is a very good effort.

The domestic cups on the other hand were disappointing. Given we had no European football to worry about, we got ourselves into lots of unnecessary tangles and replays by trying to be too clever with rotation. At the end of it, we had a really good chance in the Carling Cup to at least get to the final and lost both games of the tie with Southampton in the semi. We deserved to lose both too, and when added into another defeat in the FA Cup at home to a poor Wolves team it's nothing to be overly proud of. Jürgen is fortunate that he's much more liked than some of his predecessors, they would have been slaughtered for a similar effort.

It's mostly about the league though, and in that we probably did better than we could realistically expect given the threadbare nature of our squad.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #68: May 21, 2017 08:30:34 pm
      Successful? No.
      Happy with the end result? Yes.

Agree.

Quick Reply