Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.

Read 10992 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.
      Reply #69: May 21, 2017 09:59:00 pm
      Successful? No. Progression? Absolutely.

Yep, I can stand by that.  A progressive season.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #70: May 22, 2017 12:22:55 am
      Successful? No.

Progress? Yes.

Must do a lot better in cups to be successful.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #71: May 22, 2017 12:25:05 am
      I'd rather finish 4th than win the league cup.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #72: May 22, 2017 12:28:36 am

Should be able to do both without much effort.
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #73: May 22, 2017 01:45:16 am
      This is a start now we need to solidify. I guess we can call it baby steps.

Pleased for sure though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #74: May 22, 2017 02:29:39 am

Should be able to do both without much effort.

"Liverpool Football Club Exists To Win Trophies"

We need to start aiming higher than just finishing fourth.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #75: May 22, 2017 02:53:14 am
      "Liverpool Football Club Exists To Win Trophies"

We need to start aiming higher than just finishing fourth.

And everyone associated with Liverpool Football Club needs to realise  that.Let's get back to the time when winning cups was a normality  and not an exception.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #76: May 22, 2017 06:06:28 am
      Yes, without a doubt, maybe a good showing in the cups would have been even better.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #77: May 22, 2017 07:17:03 am
      A good season but definitely room for improvement. January and February really killed us this year when we were looking all set for a title challenge.

Good news is we know our players can do it when they want but it's about unlocking that on a regular basis. I think next year though being back in Europe will impact us, think it will be similar to 05 where we are really up for Europe but not so much for the league but we will see.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #78: May 22, 2017 07:26:19 am
      Look at Chelsea's squad with no European football. Utd spent 100's of millions.  Chelsea bought the league, City and Utd failed miserably. Arsenal underperformed and we defied expectation based on investment and squad strength with only Spurs doing better in my opinion.

I love Klopp.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #79: May 22, 2017 08:07:48 am
      We had to qualify for CL at least this season - so achieved (whats telling is that its only 2nd time in 8 seasons)

Cups - semi final is "ok" - but we need to do better than that and we should exist to win, not do "ok"

Transfers - on reflection, a good window. Gini & Mane well worth the £60m, Matip a steal for a freebie, and Klavan a solid no.3 choice CB for £4m. Karius - will give him benefit of doubt at the moment due to age

But that was the relatively easy part - now its a case of adding another 3-5 top tier players, so when we have a few injuries, the bench isn't threadbare. Need to be challenging for the title still in March / April at least, not throw it away in January. And to get back to winning trophies

So, overall, hit the minimum requirement - and lots of positives to give us encouragement as we go into a critical off-season
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #80: May 22, 2017 08:38:02 am
      We're in a better position than when we started technically. So yes. I'd say successful. We've fixed up quite a few fundamental issues.

Qualifying for CL - yes
      Fixed goalkeeper - yes
      Fixed playing teams that park the bus - yes. We are recently stretching 10 men defences by pulling the ball back. Once stretched we lob the ball into their defensive spaces especially the wings.
      Fixed attacking corners - No. still need to whip them in with more pace.
      Fixed defensive corners - Somewhat. Also related to Migs becoming a beast lately.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts | 85 
      Reply #81: May 22, 2017 09:15:06 am
      Look at Chelsea's squad with no European football. Utd spent 100's of millions.  Chelsea bought the league, City and Utd failed miserably. Arsenal underperformed and we defied expectation based on investment and squad strength with only Spurs doing better in my opinion.

I love Klopp.
      I agree with nearly everthing you state apart from Chelsea buying the league, it was won on a major formation change and playing 2 wingbacks in Marcus Alonso and Moses, did they not even make £80 million out of Oscar and Luis. Yes they've spent millions building up to this point like Citeh but for me they didn't buy it. I think it's well reported that Conti had them working seriously hard during the weeks other teams had European commitments
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #82: May 22, 2017 09:20:39 am
      Ummm yes sort of. 4th is great but still can't believe we finished 17 points of the Top and 10 points off 2nd, with the start to the Season we had.

Injuries cost us big F***ing time.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #83: May 22, 2017 09:46:34 am
      I think next year though being back in Europe will impact us, think it will be similar to 05 where we are really up for Europe but not so much for the league but we will see.

I kind of get that hunch too.

If Chelsea had been in the Champions League this year I still think they would have edged the league but no way with 30 wins.

I suppose the only thing for next year is that all of the 'traditional' top six is back in European competition. Who knows - maybe Leicester will enjoy having their midweeks free again....!?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #84: May 22, 2017 10:19:54 am
      Definitely, compare our squad to the top 6, the investment from Chavs, Utd, City and injuries to key players...it's been a successful season.

Yes we'll only be truly happy when we win the league, but let's not kid ourselves, regular champions league football is the next target before we can say we'll only consider the PL as a measure of success.

I'm f***ing made up.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #85: May 22, 2017 10:37:14 am

Why don't go and support Arsenal then? Oops - my bad. ;)
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #86: May 22, 2017 10:59:27 am
      Last season's challenge was our European performance where JK got us all the way through to the final.

This season secured us a place in the CL which is comparatively more tangible an achievement than the honour of being a Europa League finalist, so in terms of progression this is success in itself.

JK is a manager who neatly pushes the club forward, utilizing the resources available taking one step at a time.

Silverware wise: looks like we're on the way to it.

Outcome:successful season brought about by a successful so far manager.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017 03:08:07 pm by nikos »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #87: May 22, 2017 04:40:23 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Successful? I'd go for David Wright's assessment that you need trophies for it to be a successful season (proper trophies, not Mickey Mouse League Cup trophies - F**k that competition off from the start next season).

But satisfactory would be the word I'd go for. 4th place was the minimum and given the competition (and some of the money spent by our rivals...particularly by a certain rival) we have to look at it in relative with them. So 4th place, despite all the changes, is a good step forward and I would definitely have taken it at the start of the year.

Now it's time to build, strengthen and leap on from this season. And for the love of god, F**k that mickey mouse competition off early next season.

The most you'll get is a bye to the third round. But that was our last trophy, and a cup we've reached the semi final at least the past three seasons. So we're in no position to dismiss it, and I won't.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #88: May 25, 2017 11:32:43 am
      It has been a successful season, I do not know how anyone could argue different. I did not think that the team would have what it took to make it to the top 4, but they managed to do it in the end.

We will have two qualifiers for the champions league, and whatever happens, there are 6 group games in the same competition or the Europa League coming up. That is 8 games minus one Capitol One cup fixture. That is 7 games without the luxury of playing youth as Klopp did this past season. Looking back, the team struggled a lot whenever there were mid week games involved, and with the high intensity style the team plays, I hope that the seriousness required will be shown when it comes to getting first team players.

Getting there is one thing, staying there and building towards greatness once again should be the target.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #89: May 25, 2017 01:00:10 pm

This!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #90: May 25, 2017 01:04:25 pm

Agreeing with this as well.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #91: May 25, 2017 01:24:08 pm
      On a fair evaluation and considering all factors in the last 10 months or so, I would say the season has been a successful one. Why? Not that we have invested very heavily on quality players that we can claim the rights to win the PL while we competed well in the first half of the season showed that we can compete against the best. A lot of issues that cropped up in the 2nd half of the season, deliberated in detail here before, has somewhat held back our progress.

I'm sure Klopp has learnt a great deal in the last 2 years. I remember well in his first season where many teams loosing and it seems no one wanted the 4th place, which included us. And this season, we did better and we fought all the way to the last game to get 4th place. That itself is progress to me and being competitive.

I'm sure the players have learnt a great deal in the last 10 months or so and with the injection of additional quality players, this team can only get better.

Let's hope FSG will start investing in quality players to get us nearer to the top next season.

Some of us may have the opinion that this season is a failure but let's be fair to Klopp and look at the total value of the squad against what Chelski has and we should be proud of the 4th spot this season.

Quick Reply