Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.

Read 11052 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Re: Has 2016-2017 been a successful season? Lets recap.
      Reply #92: May 29, 2017 06:18:24 pm
      I wouldn't say it was particularly successful, but it was an improvement on points, league position and quality of play  most of the time.
      Also, the new players mostly bedded in well and made a contribution.
      Gonna be interesting to see who we can entice in for next season, and what improvement we can make on this season.
      A piece of silverware or two, would suggest success next season.
      But if we don't make top 4 next time around, for whatever reason, I'd say that would be a clear failure.
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #93: May 30, 2017 12:55:46 am
      I wouldn't say it was particularly successful, but it was an improvement on points, league position and quality of play  most of the time.
      Also, the new players mostly bedded in well and made a contribution.
      Gonna be interesting to see who we can entice in for next season, and what improvement we can make on this season.
      A piece of silverware or two, would suggest success next season.
      But if we don't make top 4 next time around, for whatever reason, I'd say that would be a clear failure.

successful has to be bagging a trophy and qualifying for CL. Its a good progressive season.

but I will add, had we swapped the great start for a great finish we'd be a all w*nking over the season!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #94: May 30, 2017 04:15:34 am
      On a fair evaluation and considering all factors in the last 10 months or so, I would say the season has been a successful one. Why? Not that we have invested very heavily on quality players that we can claim the rights to win the PL while we competed well in the first half of the season showed that we can compete against the best. A lot of issues that cropped up in the 2nd half of the season, deliberated in detail here before, has somewhat held back our progress.

I'm sure Klopp has learnt a great deal in the last 2 years. I remember well in his first season where many teams loosing and it seems no one wanted the 4th place, which included us. And this season, we did better and we fought all the way to the last game to get 4th place. That itself is progress to me and being competitive.

I'm sure the players have learnt a great deal in the last 10 months or so and with the injection of additional quality players, this team can only get better.

Let's hope FSG will start investing in quality players to get us nearer to the top next season.

Some of us may have the opinion that this season is a failure but let's be fair to Klopp and look at the total value of the squad against what Chelski has and we should be proud of the 4th spot this season.

Love the optimism but to me its a fan repeating what the players and coaches say when we have done sh*t. We will learn.

Has it been successful? No trophies, losing to teams like wolves, palace, bournemouth, bury, southampton (despite nicking all their forwards we still couldn't score a single bloody goal against them!)

No it hasn't, look at our start to the season, it was brilliant, we were playing teams off the park, we were unbeatable. As the season went on, we got sussed out, Klopp going on Sky Sports telling the bloody world how he likes his team to work, IN BLOODY DETAIL didn't help. And in the end we scraped 4th, FFS, we battered all the top 6 teams, those who spent millions, and blew it against the paupers of the league!

Look at the start of the season, and compare it to the end, aside from the West Ham result, we were winning ugly. And we scraped into 4th.

So for me no, it hasn't been a success, everything was in place to be better. Look at the teams we have lost to this season, all comps, and tell me its been a success, it hasn't. Far from it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #95: May 30, 2017 09:38:53 am
      Once again no trophy, although qualify for the Champion's League. I would have liked to win a trophy to call it, a really successful season. So my answer has to be no, especially when we only scraped 4th place, after such a strong start, to the season.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #96: May 30, 2017 03:52:53 pm
      Quote from Kharhaz
      Look at the start of the season, and compare it to the end, aside from the West Ham result, we were winning ugly. And we scraped into 4th.

Look at the teams we have lost to this season, all comps, and tell me its been a success, it hasn't. Far from it.

Quote from lfc across the water
      Nobody bar Chelsea of the leading clubs, can say they had a perfect season. Everyone has screwed up at some point, how did Spurs lose at West Ham where everyone else around them in the table won? How did Arsenal take 1 point from 6 away games of those around them? How did City fall apart from October onwards? The list is endless.

The table is over 38 games, and you get what you deserve after 38 games. 4th will be what we set out for 9 months ago.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #97: May 30, 2017 05:10:56 pm
      Its not been successful as far as winning titles & tin is concerned, however, it has been successful in winning a CL place, albeit a qualifying one, and that ppl was what we set out to achieve at the get go,

we have to remember that this was Jürgen's first full season at the helm, a season where we sailed effortlessly it seemed on a mill pond through the first 5 months, torpedo'ing most of our rivals in our wake, we still had to endure perennial injuries on the way and then lost one of our main creators to the dreaded ACN,

from there the waters got very choppy and rendered us tin-less by the end of Jan, despite this we also struggled for cohesion, in fact we were pretty dire to watch at times if I'm honest, all throughout the season its difficult to remember where we actually had a fully fit side with all our first choices on the same pitch together,

you only have to look at the bench to see how weak our squad was, and this for me was a major factor of why we struggled all winter, treading water from December to February, this was the naivety of Captain Klopp, he still had Bundesliga mode in his mind, not quite understanding of having no winter break, even though we'd still be way short on quality the entire season,

We all hope that our squad next season will be adorned with not only extra numbers but the quality to take us up another level, we're never going to compete financially with the usual suspects, but we have proven we can compete pitch-side and that's what matters most,

I think I'm right in saying we finished 8th the season before, so for us to finish 4 places higher with a slightly better side is pretty fookin decent considering,

We have progressed this season that there is no doubt, I believe that with the right recruitments(in Jürgen we trust) we will move forward again next season, its obviously too early to say for sure but I'm confident the Boss will have us right up there challenging for all major honours, with a added hint of sustainability.

Onwards & Upwards !!!!

YNWA

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #98: May 31, 2017 01:07:15 am
      We will know whether or not this season has been successful when the next transfer window closes. If we have smashed it and signed a handful of authentic first team players, this season just gone has been a success. If on the other hand we've p!ssed about and the team/squad is barely stronger, we've wasted another year.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #99: May 31, 2017 11:45:02 am
      We will know whether or not this season has been successful when the next transfer window closes. If we have smashed it and signed a handful of authentic first team players, this season just gone has been a success. If on the other hand we've p!ssed about and the team/squad is barely stronger, we've wasted another year.

Inclined to agree with this. Football is obviously about winning trophies BUT in the modern day anyone who is anyone will tell you that you need to be in the Champions League, that's your base camp to ascend the mountain because it should give you the kudos and the funds to compete for the best players. We'll find out if that rings true or whether we go out and sign a bunch of players (like we did three years ago) who would have come to club champions League or not.

Quick Reply