Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

Pre Match: Liverpool v Middlesbrough (Sun 21 May 3pm)

Read 11120 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Re: Pre Match: Liverpool v Middlesbrough (Sun 21 May 3pm)
      Reply #69: May 21, 2017 10:23:05 am
      Not sure what to think . Just hope complacency does not creep in with players
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #70: May 21, 2017 10:25:58 am
      Let's finish the job boys!
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #71: May 21, 2017 10:27:48 am
      I am just a bag of nerves. I think I need some of this to get thru the day.  :food-smiley-005:

Not sure my ticker will be able to take this game. It is such a big game and I am just not confident because I have seen our boys go down to the lowest of the low before. I just hope.
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2017 11:29:27 am by RobieSlick »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #72: May 21, 2017 10:34:56 am
      BY ROBBIE FOWLER

Liverpool shouldn't celebrate finishing fourth - they must spend big to fight for the title next season

I’m the biggest Liverpool fan on the planet but I’m old school. I don’t celebrate finishing fourth.

It won’t be a triumph if they win on Sunday. It won’t be a miraculous achievement. They shouldn’t be celebrating like they’ve won something...unless they actually win something.

Don’t get me wrong, it will be an achievement to have qualified for the Champions’ League, and of course I’ll be rooting for them to finish the job against Boro, but c’mon. With these clubs, the Liverpools, Arsenals, Man Uniteds, their history is about trophies.

I’ll be delighted if they win mind, and gutted if they don’t, because Liverpool have been outside the Champions’ League for far too long. And not being there hurts a club massively. It can even cripple them (as I discovered painfully at Leeds).

At the start of the season if you’d said they finish above Arsena l and Manchester United, and go into the final day of the season still in with a real chance of getting past Manchester City, I’d have snapped your hand off. Jürgen Klopp too.

I actually thought it would be a tough ask to finish ahead of those clubs, even if Liverpool have not had Europe and basically just the one competition to concentrate on. City and United had new managers, so too Chelsea. All spent big money, as did Arsenal.

Liverpool broke even in the transfer market and had little depth in their squad, so that’s why getting in the top four will be an achievement, even if being a proper Liverpool fan with my biased head on, I always think they should finish in the top four. Just not a proper one (achievement, not fan!).

You look at the money United have spent, the size of their squad, and to finish ahead of them IS an achievement, even if the lack of any real adventure at Old Trafford has been a self-inflicted shot in the foot.

I really can’t see Liverpool messing it up now either, even if their home record in the past month will probably make a few fans break out in cold sweats at 3am on Sunday morning.

If they do cock it up, then first of all, they’ll have that walk of shame around the pitch at Anfield in front of 56,000 murderous fans. And I’ve been there. You really, really don’t want to do that.

It’s one of the most humiliating experiences you can get as a footballer...that, and being put on your backside in front of 60,000 of your own Old Trafford fans by a cheeky Scouse imp, before he goes on and smashes one into the roof of the net. Eh Gary?

Anyway. I digress. If they finish fifth, then it will mean Liverpool will have dropped at least nine points - possibly 10 - from their last 12 at Anfield. And against three struggling sides in the bottom half of the table, and one that’s been relegated.

If that happens, then they have no one to blame but themselves, and they’ll have to hold their hands up and say they don’t deserve to be in the Champions’ League. Jürgen Klopp has already come out and said as much.

He’ll know, if you can’t win a single game against poor teams at home in your final four matches, then you’re not ready for Europe’s biggest competition.

Again, that happened to us back in 1997, when we had to win at Sheffield Wednesday on the final day to qualify for the Champions’ League. In fact, I remember we’d been in a two-horse race for the title that season...and drew the last match to finish fourth.

I was actually injured, so you can’t blame me, and you also can’t blame Stan, because he didn’t play that day either. His celebrity lookalike did.

If they do win - and Boro will be in Ibiza after all - then they’ll need to spend some serious money in the summer to allow them to compete for the Premier League next season and hold their heads up in Europe.

It’s a tricky balance. Under Brendan Rodgers when they qualified for the Champions’ League the last time, I don’t think they had the squad after selling Suarez, and they were a bit embarrassed in Europe, which had a big impact on the league form. You could argue it got Rodgers the sack, ultimately.

They can’t afford that again. Not after being out of the big money stuff for eight years, bar one. I think they’ll need a minimum of 4-5 signings, and not young players to develop either, as has been the trend over the past few years.

They’ve got a fantastic first XI, first 13 or 14 in fact, but beyond that, there are some talented kids who are simply not ready for that level. They need to keep those 14 and add another five, who can all be comfortable on that stage.

It will cost. No doubt. Big, big money. But if it means they can have a run at Europe while being consolidating their position in the Premier League top four, it will be worth it in the long run for where they want to go financially.

And who knows, maybe there will be a real celebration at Anfield soon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-shouldnt-celebrate-finishing-fourth-10462940

God, bang on the money.  8)
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1640 
      Reply #73: May 21, 2017 10:50:59 am
      Please please please do not F**k this one up reds.

Danny has to start this one.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #74: May 21, 2017 11:04:41 am
      BY ROBBIE FOWLER

Liverpool shouldn't celebrate finishing fourth - they must spend big to fight for the title next season

I’m the biggest Liverpool fan on the planet but I’m old school. I don’t celebrate finishing fourth.

It won’t be a triumph if they win on Sunday. It won’t be a miraculous achievement. They shouldn’t be celebrating like they’ve won something...unless they actually win something.

Don’t get me wrong, it will be an achievement to have qualified for the Champions’ League, and of course I’ll be rooting for them to finish the job against Boro, but c’mon. With these clubs, the Liverpools, Arsenals, Man Uniteds, their history is about trophies.

I’ll be delighted if they win mind, and gutted if they don’t, because Liverpool have been outside the Champions’ League for far too long. And not being there hurts a club massively. It can even cripple them (as I discovered painfully at Leeds).

At the start of the season if you’d said they finish above Arsena l and Manchester United, and go into the final day of the season still in with a real chance of getting past Manchester City, I’d have snapped your hand off. Jürgen Klopp too.

I actually thought it would be a tough ask to finish ahead of those clubs, even if Liverpool have not had Europe and basically just the one competition to concentrate on. City and United had new managers, so too Chelsea. All spent big money, as did Arsenal.

Liverpool broke even in the transfer market and had little depth in their squad, so that’s why getting in the top four will be an achievement, even if being a proper Liverpool fan with my biased head on, I always think they should finish in the top four. Just not a proper one (achievement, not fan!).

You look at the money United have spent, the size of their squad, and to finish ahead of them IS an achievement, even if the lack of any real adventure at Old Trafford has been a self-inflicted shot in the foot.

I really can’t see Liverpool messing it up now either, even if their home record in the past month will probably make a few fans break out in cold sweats at 3am on Sunday morning.

If they do cock it up, then first of all, they’ll have that walk of shame around the pitch at Anfield in front of 56,000 murderous fans. And I’ve been there. You really, really don’t want to do that.

It’s one of the most humiliating experiences you can get as a footballer...that, and being put on your backside in front of 60,000 of your own Old Trafford fans by a cheeky Scouse imp, before he goes on and smashes one into the roof of the net. Eh Gary?

Anyway. I digress. If they finish fifth, then it will mean Liverpool will have dropped at least nine points - possibly 10 - from their last 12 at Anfield. And against three struggling sides in the bottom half of the table, and one that’s been relegated.

If that happens, then they have no one to blame but themselves, and they’ll have to hold their hands up and say they don’t deserve to be in the Champions’ League. Jürgen Klopp has already come out and said as much.

He’ll know, if you can’t win a single game against poor teams at home in your final four matches, then you’re not ready for Europe’s biggest competition.

Again, that happened to us back in 1997, when we had to win at Sheffield Wednesday on the final day to qualify for the Champions’ League. In fact, I remember we’d been in a two-horse race for the title that season...and drew the last match to finish fourth.

I was actually injured, so you can’t blame me, and you also can’t blame Stan, because he didn’t play that day either. His celebrity lookalike did.

If they do win - and Boro will be in Ibiza after all - then they’ll need to spend some serious money in the summer to allow them to compete for the Premier League next season and hold their heads up in Europe.

It’s a tricky balance. Under Brendan Rodgers when they qualified for the Champions’ League the last time, I don’t think they had the squad after selling Suarez, and they were a bit embarrassed in Europe, which had a big impact on the league form. You could argue it got Rodgers the sack, ultimately.

They can’t afford that again. Not after being out of the big money stuff for eight years, bar one. I think they’ll need a minimum of 4-5 signings, and not young players to develop either, as has been the trend over the past few years.

They’ve got a fantastic first XI, first 13 or 14 in fact, but beyond that, there are some talented kids who are simply not ready for that level. They need to keep those 14 and add another five, who can all be comfortable on that stage.

It will cost. No doubt. Big, big money. But if it means they can have a run at Europe while being consolidating their position in the Premier League top four, it will be worth it in the long run for where they want to go financially.

And who knows, maybe there will be a real celebration at Anfield soon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-shouldnt-celebrate-finishing-fourth-10462940

God, bang on the money.  8)

Well said Robbie Fowler,I agree with you 100%.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #75: May 21, 2017 11:42:29 am
      Well D day ( not my favourite metaphor) has arrived,last game of the season and an important one at that,we all would have liked to have had a European cup place wrapped up before today but it is what it is.
      I hope the lads are fully focused today & not thinking of there holiday destinations as they still have a job to do.
      I'm a lot more confident with the timely return of sturidge & who knows it may well be his last game for us so him bagging a few ( which I think he will) would be very welcome to say the least.
      On a side note The  fowler article that @beerbelly kindly posted is bang on the money by Robbie & We as supporters will have nodded in agreemeant whilst reading it as we know what needs to happen over the summer & it will be very interesting to see how it plays out but for the moment let's get that CL spot.
      3-0 come on red men.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #76: May 21, 2017 12:08:10 pm
      Big day today the start of our journey back to the top, COME ON YOU REDS
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,289 posts | 763 
      Reply #77: May 21, 2017 12:22:15 pm
      Strongest possible team from the Kick off. Give the fans something to shout about. After all they deserve it, after the ups and downs, of a long season.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #78: May 21, 2017 12:24:26 pm
      Come on you reds hope Danny plays and we stick a few into these today .have a great final day out fellow reds, on our way back .
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #79: May 21, 2017 12:25:33 pm
      Big day today the start of our journey back to the top, COME ON YOU REDS

Strongest possible team from the Kick off. Give the fans something to shout about. After all they deserve it, after the ups and downs, of a long season.

yes, yes.  5-0. we go out with a big win today.

come on you reds, let's do it.  ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #80: May 21, 2017 12:27:32 pm
      3rd or 4th is not our long-term objective, we understand that.

It's the best we can do TODAY, so we are focusing on what we can do TODAY. The prize attached to it TODAY is not insignificant.

One of our long-term objectives (Champions League success) is not possible if we do not get there. So TODAY it is genuinely important to win, and we can be happy when we do...TODAY.

The rest of it we can worry about about after TODAY. Try to enjoy the match, if you can.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #81: May 21, 2017 12:54:17 pm
      I'm preparing a big one for this, hopefully the Reds will pay me back!
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #82: May 21, 2017 01:04:34 pm
      I'm preparing a big one for this, hopefully the Reds will pay me back!
      I've just had a big one , God help the Sap who goes in there next . All part of matchday ritual though.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #83: May 21, 2017 01:06:11 pm
      Absolutely NO excuses today..
      I wanna see Middlesborough dead and buried by half time.
      Attack Attack Attack...
       :kop5cf8koxp6:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,686 posts | 3708 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #84: May 21, 2017 01:08:18 pm
      I've just had a big one , God help the Sap who goes in there next . All part of matchday ritual though.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065: I'm preparing the Live thread not getting my fiancee pregnant.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #85: May 21, 2017 01:08:28 pm
      Hope the lads do not underestimate Boro. Even though they are relegated, I'm sure many of the players will want to use this final game to prove a point and hopefully showcase themselves. Let's take it as if we're up against City, MU, Arsenal or Chelsea.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #86: May 21, 2017 01:09:30 pm
      Anyone bricking it yet ?
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #87: May 21, 2017 01:17:20 pm
      No, all done.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #88: May 21, 2017 01:21:04 pm
      Oh my holy F**k the nerves are just too much. We can't take Boro lightly. If Bobby is fit I'd stick him up top with Danny and keep last weeks formation. Come on lads do yourselves and us proud.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4917 
      Reply #89: May 21, 2017 01:22:15 pm
      Starting to feel nervous.

Should be a formality but the way the season has went for us I'd imagine we'll be put through the mill today.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #90: May 21, 2017 01:26:43 pm

I refuse to get nervous against a team who's away record is as bad as Middlesbrough's !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #91: May 21, 2017 01:35:58 pm
      I'm liking the lineup. Shame bob isn't available to replace Divoc, but perhaps he will have a better game with Studge beside him. Let's hope so.
      Need to be careful but positive going for every challenge across the park. Keep it tight at the back and let it flow moving forward. Fast feet, move the ball quickly, attack everything in thier box, and don't let the mighty Downing have kick 😳
      Sure we'll do this, we always do it the hard way.
      Most important 3 hrs of my year start about now.

Quick Reply