Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Nottm Forest takeover by

Read 2388 times
      delixeCFL
      Nottm Forest takeover by
      May 18, 2017 05:46:37 pm
      I would NOT want these lot in our club, the players will be getting knee capped if they don't play well:

Nottingham Forest takeover: Evangelos Marinakis buys club with EFL approval

By Richard Conway
      BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
      1 hour ago From the section Football

New Nottingham Forest owner denies match-fixing
      Nottingham Forest have been bought by Greek shipping magnate Evangelos Marinakis after his takeover was passed by the English Football League (EFL).

The businessman and Olympiakos owner is facing accusations of match-fixing in Greece but has passed the EFL's owners' and directors' test.

Marinakis' buyout brings to an end Fawaz Al Hasawi's five-year reign in charge of the Championship club.

A previous takeover by a United States consortium fell through in January.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport, Marinakis said that allegations he is involved in a "criminal organisation" were invented by "jealous" opponents to "destroy" his success with the Greek champions.

He was previously accused of being involved in the bombing of a referee's bakery but faced no action.

Marinakis, who is heading a consortium with Greek businessman Socrates Kominakis, denies all the claims and has not faced any charges. He is waiting to find out whether a remaining case against him will proceed, but says: "I have nothing to be afraid of and to worry about as I have done nothing wrong."

The EFL has approved the deal after reviewing the business plan and applying the owners' and directors' test. They saw no reason to disqualify the prospective owners under the test. The EFL also asked Uefa for its views on Marianakis' ownership of Olympiakos and received a positive response.

Two-time European Cup winners Forest only escaped relegation to England's third tier on goal difference with a win on the final day of the season.

Marinakis has also "guaranteed" manager Mark Warburton, who was appointed in March, will be with the club "for a number of years".

The Marinakis manifesto

In an interview with BBC correspondent Richard Conway, Marinakis spelt out his vision for Nottingham Forest:

To return "stability" to a club with "huge potential" which "belongs to the elite of the Premier League"
      Will not make rash pledges, saying "I never give promises - I deliver"
      Backs Mark Warburton and says he will work within EFL financial rules to support him in the transfer market
      Will formulate a 'fans advisory body' and 'youth council' with a representative attending board meetings
      Promises ticket price reductions to reward fan loyalty
      What is Marinakis' history?

Olympiakos players and supporters celebrate winning the 2016-17 Greek Super League title
      Olympiakos won the Greek Superleague by six points in 2016-17 and also reached the last 16 of the Europa League
      Under Marinakis' ownership since 2010, Olympiakos have won seven domestic championships in a row. They are among the top 25 ranked teams in Europe.

He told BBC Sport that claims of criminality against him are as a result of this record.

"All these years, a lot has been said but nothing came out in reality. All of it has been dismissed and we have been clear from all of this," he said.

"Now there is a last case remaining - there are about 80 persons involved. I can tell you again that I have nothing to do with it because I know very well what I have done and how I have achieved victories.

"Of course I cannot stop our opponents talking or bad-mouthing."

He added that the EFL and other football authorities such as European governing body Uefa have cleared him after "two months" of "numerous questions".

On Forest's history

Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton celebrate winning the European Cup with Nottingham Forest in 1979
      Nottingham Forest won consecutive European Cups in 1979 and 1980 under Brian Clough with Trevor Francis scoring the winning goal in the first of the finals
      Marinakis attended high school in Watford from the age of 15 and went on to university in the UK.

He told the BBC that he chose to invest in Forest based on "what I remember from the past and the potential the club has".

He added: "I think that it doesn't take long to decide, even if you have a choice, which team to go for. When you see all this tradition and all these achievements, of course this club has the potential to grow and achieve victories that the whole region deserves."

On his approach

"I'm not going to promise you things or I'm not a rich guy who came from abroad to spend my money and gain glory by acquiring a team in the UK.

"I had glories from my times with Olympiakos who have won everything, who have broken every record both within our country and in Europe, in the Champions League for our level.

"We know a lot of players, managers, clubs, officials in various parts of the world in international football, agents - all this can help us to put all our connections together and try to do our very best for Nottingham."

On the club's potential

Forest fans celebrate their Championship survival
      Forest supporters invaded the City Ground pitch after they beat Ipswich 3-0 on 7 May to remain in the Championship
      Forest, league champions in 1977-78 and European Cup winners in the following two seasons, last played in the Premier League in 1998-99. Since then, they have spent 14 seasons in the second tier and three seasons in League One, from 2005-06 to 2007-08.

Despite narrowly escaping a return to the third tier this season, Marinakis believes Forest should be in the Premier League.

"We have a long-term plan and within this long-term plan we want to bring Nottingham to where it belongs. And of course Nottingham belongs in the Premier League. And Nottingham belongs to the elite of the Premier League," he says.

"Furthermore the supporters of Nottingham have been tired all these years, they didn't have such good times. But they remained loyal and for us that's very important.

"The potential is huge. The potential of this team is that when it will be very well organised, when it will achieve victories again, when it will have a better position in the Championship, when it will have a better position and we can look seriously at the Premier League, then we will be there to stay."

What does the manager think?

Warburton has previously described the new ownership as "proven football people", referencing Marinakis' achievements at Olympiakos.

"They have done a magnificent job at getting into the Champions League year-in, year-out and have really developed an outstanding club," he added.

What is the owners' and directors' test?

Also referred to as the 'fit and proper persons test', it is designed to prevent someone being involved in running a football club if they have any of the disqualifying conditions listed here.
      That includes criminal matters such as dishonest acts and unspent convictions and company disqualification matters such as bankruptcy.

What do the fans think?

Fawaz Al Hasawi
      Fawaz Al Hasawi took over control at Forest in the summer of 2012. Mark Warburton is the club's eighth manager since then
      Natalie Jackson, BBC East Midlands Today sports editor, on the feeling among some Forest supporters.

Supporters seem to be optimistic about the new ownership because five years under Fawaz promised so much but delivered so little. His well-meaning love of the club and his vast wealth was never in doubt but there were eight different managers and a fragile infrastructure behind the scenes, with people in key positions coming and going at regular intervals.

Increasing anger led to fans' protests, while Forest finished lower in the league year on year - culminating in this season's final-day escape from relegation.

Bridges need to be built and reputations restored. Mark Warburton's arrival shows signs of a more sensible, long-term approach on the football side.

There is a sense of relief among fans, but also caution because tremendous wealth does not automatically mean a well-run, stable and successful club. Marinakis is aggressively ambitious but has taken on a club in need of major rebuilding.

Takeover facts

The purchase is a consortium led by Marinakis and Socrates Kominakis, a Greek businessman and investor, for 100% of Hasawi's shares. The sum is undisclosed
      The owners have formed a new company NF Football Investments Ltd, registered in the UK
      Nicholas Randall QC, a leading sports lawyer, has been appointed as chairman
      Ioannis Vrentzos - currently CEO of Olympiacos - will move to become Forest CEO
      Frank McParland has had his contract extended as director of football
      Analysis

Sat in his modern London office, adorned with a mix of modern art and oil paintings of the port of Piraeus in Greece, Evangelos Marinakis spoke confidently of his long-term plan for Nottingham Forest.

His key phrase is "hard work". He repeatedly said those words during our interview and prides himself on building teams both within his shipping empire and at the football clubs he owns. His immediate focus appears to be order, appointing professionals and creating a stable base from which the club can rebuild.

But Marinakis does come with baggage. He has faced - and has been cleared - of very serious charges in Greece. He insists his remaining legal difficulties in Greece don't worry him and that he's done nothing wrong.

Significantly, the deal is also being fronted by fellow businessman Socrates Kominakis. His presence will ensure that should anything happen in the future concerning Marinakis' ability to own the club (a prospect he says is not based in reality), there will be continuity in the boardroom.

:o

Good luck forest.  :-\
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2017 05:58:59 pm by RedPuppy »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Notts Forest takeover by
      Reply #1: May 18, 2017 05:58:31 pm
      Notts Forest ? ? ?

Nottm. Forest or Notts. County!!

Title changed!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Nottm Forest takeover by
      Reply #2: May 18, 2017 06:16:31 pm
      I would NOT want these lot in our club, the players will be getting knee capped if they don't play well:

Nottingham Forest takeover: Evangelos Marinakis buys club with EFL approval

By Richard Conway
      BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent
      1 hour ago From the section Football

New Nottingham Forest owner denies match-fixing
      Nottingham Forest have been bought by Greek shipping magnate Evangelos Marinakis after his takeover was passed by the English Football League (EFL).

The businessman and Olympiakos owner is facing accusations of match-fixing in Greece but has passed the EFL's owners' and directors' test.

Marinakis' buyout brings to an end Fawaz Al Hasawi's five-year reign in charge of the Championship club.

A previous takeover by a United States consortium fell through in January.

In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport, Marinakis said that allegations he is involved in a "criminal organisation" were invented by "jealous" opponents to "destroy" his success with the Greek champions.

He was previously accused of being involved in the bombing of a referee's bakery but faced no action.

Marinakis, who is heading a consortium with Greek businessman Socrates Kominakis, denies all the claims and has not faced any charges. He is waiting to find out whether a remaining case against him will proceed, but says: "I have nothing to be afraid of and to worry about as I have done nothing wrong."

The EFL has approved the deal after reviewing the business plan and applying the owners' and directors' test. They saw no reason to disqualify the prospective owners under the test. The EFL also asked Uefa for its views on Marianakis' ownership of Olympiakos and received a positive response.

Two-time European Cup winners Forest only escaped relegation to England's third tier on goal difference with a win on the final day of the season.

Marinakis has also "guaranteed" manager Mark Warburton, who was appointed in March, will be with the club "for a number of years".

The Marinakis manifesto

In an interview with BBC correspondent Richard Conway, Marinakis spelt out his vision for Nottingham Forest:

To return "stability" to a club with "huge potential" which "belongs to the elite of the Premier League"
      Will not make rash pledges, saying "I never give promises - I deliver"
      Backs Mark Warburton and says he will work within EFL financial rules to support him in the transfer market
      Will formulate a 'fans advisory body' and 'youth council' with a representative attending board meetings
      Promises ticket price reductions to reward fan loyalty
      What is Marinakis' history?

Olympiakos players and supporters celebrate winning the 2016-17 Greek Super League title
      Olympiakos won the Greek Superleague by six points in 2016-17 and also reached the last 16 of the Europa League
      Under Marinakis' ownership since 2010, Olympiakos have won seven domestic championships in a row. They are among the top 25 ranked teams in Europe.

He told BBC Sport that claims of criminality against him are as a result of this record.

"All these years, a lot has been said but nothing came out in reality. All of it has been dismissed and we have been clear from all of this," he said.

"Now there is a last case remaining - there are about 80 persons involved. I can tell you again that I have nothing to do with it because I know very well what I have done and how I have achieved victories.

"Of course I cannot stop our opponents talking or bad-mouthing."

He added that the EFL and other football authorities such as European governing body Uefa have cleared him after "two months" of "numerous questions".

On Forest's history

Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton celebrate winning the European Cup with Nottingham Forest in 1979
      Nottingham Forest won consecutive European Cups in 1979 and 1980 under Brian Clough with Trevor Francis scoring the winning goal in the first of the finals
      Marinakis attended high school in Watford from the age of 15 and went on to university in the UK.

He told the BBC that he chose to invest in Forest based on "what I remember from the past and the potential the club has".

He added: "I think that it doesn't take long to decide, even if you have a choice, which team to go for. When you see all this tradition and all these achievements, of course this club has the potential to grow and achieve victories that the whole region deserves."

On his approach

"I'm not going to promise you things or I'm not a rich guy who came from abroad to spend my money and gain glory by acquiring a team in the UK.

"I had glories from my times with Olympiakos who have won everything, who have broken every record both within our country and in Europe, in the Champions League for our level.

"We know a lot of players, managers, clubs, officials in various parts of the world in international football, agents - all this can help us to put all our connections together and try to do our very best for Nottingham."

On the club's potential

Forest fans celebrate their Championship survival
      Forest supporters invaded the City Ground pitch after they beat Ipswich 3-0 on 7 May to remain in the Championship
      Forest, league champions in 1977-78 and European Cup winners in the following two seasons, last played in the Premier League in 1998-99. Since then, they have spent 14 seasons in the second tier and three seasons in League One, from 2005-06 to 2007-08.

Despite narrowly escaping a return to the third tier this season, Marinakis believes Forest should be in the Premier League.

"We have a long-term plan and within this long-term plan we want to bring Nottingham to where it belongs. And of course Nottingham belongs in the Premier League. And Nottingham belongs to the elite of the Premier League," he says.

"Furthermore the supporters of Nottingham have been tired all these years, they didn't have such good times. But they remained loyal and for us that's very important.

"The potential is huge. The potential of this team is that when it will be very well organised, when it will achieve victories again, when it will have a better position in the Championship, when it will have a better position and we can look seriously at the Premier League, then we will be there to stay."

What does the manager think?

Warburton has previously described the new ownership as "proven football people", referencing Marinakis' achievements at Olympiakos.

"They have done a magnificent job at getting into the Champions League year-in, year-out and have really developed an outstanding club," he added.

What is the owners' and directors' test?

Also referred to as the 'fit and proper persons test', it is designed to prevent someone being involved in running a football club if they have any of the disqualifying conditions listed here.
      That includes criminal matters such as dishonest acts and unspent convictions and company disqualification matters such as bankruptcy.

What do the fans think?

Fawaz Al Hasawi
      Fawaz Al Hasawi took over control at Forest in the summer of 2012. Mark Warburton is the club's eighth manager since then
      Natalie Jackson, BBC East Midlands Today sports editor, on the feeling among some Forest supporters.

Supporters seem to be optimistic about the new ownership because five years under Fawaz promised so much but delivered so little. His well-meaning love of the club and his vast wealth was never in doubt but there were eight different managers and a fragile infrastructure behind the scenes, with people in key positions coming and going at regular intervals.

Increasing anger led to fans' protests, while Forest finished lower in the league year on year - culminating in this season's final-day escape from relegation.

Bridges need to be built and reputations restored. Mark Warburton's arrival shows signs of a more sensible, long-term approach on the football side.

There is a sense of relief among fans, but also caution because tremendous wealth does not automatically mean a well-run, stable and successful club. Marinakis is aggressively ambitious but has taken on a club in need of major rebuilding.

Takeover facts

The purchase is a consortium led by Marinakis and Socrates Kominakis, a Greek businessman and investor, for 100% of Hasawi's shares. The sum is undisclosed
      The owners have formed a new company NF Football Investments Ltd, registered in the UK
      Nicholas Randall QC, a leading sports lawyer, has been appointed as chairman
      Ioannis Vrentzos - currently CEO of Olympiacos - will move to become Forest CEO
      Frank McParland has had his contract extended as director of football
      Analysis

Sat in his modern London office, adorned with a mix of modern art and oil paintings of the port of Piraeus in Greece, Evangelos Marinakis spoke confidently of his long-term plan for Nottingham Forest.

His key phrase is "hard work". He repeatedly said those words during our interview and prides himself on building teams both within his shipping empire and at the football clubs he owns. His immediate focus appears to be order, appointing professionals and creating a stable base from which the club can rebuild.

But Marinakis does come with baggage. He has faced - and has been cleared - of very serious charges in Greece. He insists his remaining legal difficulties in Greece don't worry him and that he's done nothing wrong.

Significantly, the deal is also being fronted by fellow businessman Socrates Kominakis. His presence will ensure that should anything happen in the future concerning Marinakis' ability to own the club (a prospect he says is not based in reality), there will be continuity in the boardroom.

:o

Good luck forest.  :-\

Probably a great bunch of lads and I bet they make some tasty kebabs ;)

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: May 18, 2017 06:31:48 pm

More like watch my scran next time I go the chippy!!

To be fair, I'd rather have that mob in our director box than the FSG stooges when we go to Old Trafford :lmao:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #4: May 19, 2017 12:53:45 am
      Looks like a mentalist ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5: May 19, 2017 09:56:38 am
      So he's still under investigation yet passes the owners & directors test? Makes sense :D.

He'd fit right in at Everton with all his breaking records without actually breaking records sh*te.
      R3D
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #6: May 20, 2017 08:43:50 am
      I had never heard about him, so I've been reading a bit about him on wikipedia. Seems like a sketchy guy.

In 2010/2011 he was the owner of Olympiacos, the president of the Greek super league Olympiacos play in, and the vice president of the Greek football Federation. Conflict of interest much? How is that even allowed!?
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #7: May 21, 2017 07:04:29 pm
      Hes already put a structure in place (CFO, COO etc...) which they didnt have under previous ownership at all, proper big-hitters. Kept McPharland on, and announced a reduction in season ticket prices.

Its early days and he still has one last investigation to get over, but it seems promising for them. He has had success running a football club before.

Quick Reply