Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Interfaith dialogue

Read 1082 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Interfaith dialogue
      May 24, 2017 07:20:06 pm
      If you're not an open-minded and do not know how to discuss, please just do not post on this thread. No hatred will be tolerated towards any faith.

This is an interfaith initiative to discuss different ideas, thoughts, and even differences and likeness.

• We should reach out to other faiths to learn from those who think differently from us.
      • We all work together to make the world a better place in which we must all live together.
      • We share the experience of the emotions, concepts and arguments of those different from us.

Where someone is wrong about the faith of others, he/she should learn from the correction without being a fart and the others should teach them.

Those who write a post, should say what he/she believes in and which domination.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2017 08:16:10 pm by clint_call01 »
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Interfaith dialogue
      Reply #1: May 24, 2017 07:23:01 pm
      Abrahamic religions have their origins in Sumer and were Polytheistic (multiple gods)

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #2: May 24, 2017 07:30:28 pm
      Abrahamic religions have their origins in Sumer and were Polytheistic (multiple gods)

The three monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam all can look upon Abraham as the very beginning of all three religions.

Judaism, obviously was founded by Abraham himself. Since he had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac, the two other religions 'came' from them.

Christianity believes that the Messiah had to come from the family of David and David came from the descendants of Isaac.

Islam, Prophet Mohammed is said that he came from the descendants of Ishmael.

So all three can find their very basic foundation which is common.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #3: May 24, 2017 07:31:57 pm
      No hatred must not be tolerated towards any faith.
      Sounds like a double negative to me.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #4: May 24, 2017 07:33:00 pm
      Sounds like a double negative to me.

You're right, will amend it :)
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #5: May 24, 2017 07:42:48 pm
      As Salam Walaykum...

Peace be unto you..

This is the Muslim greeting.

I'm really looking forward to this thread & hopefully learn about other faiths.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #6: May 24, 2017 07:44:51 pm

Abraham was born, raised and schooled in Sumer.

Hints of Polytheism can't be found in the Torah and throughout Genesis.

Elohym in Hebrew translates as plural aka Gods.

Genesis 1:26
      And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

Genesis 11:7
      "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

The seven tablets of creation vs seven days of creation.
      Epic of Gilgamesh vs Noah's flood
      Garden of E-den vs Garden of Eden
      Adamu vs Adam

Genesis
      God creates all matter, but is independent
      of it Earth is in darkness and chaos over
      the deep (Tehom).

Enuma Elish
      The Divine Spirits and cosmic matters
      coexist and are coeternal. There is a
      primeval chaos in which the gods war
      against the deep (Tiamat).

Genesis
      1st day the creation of light

Enuma Elish
      Light emanates from the gods

Genesis
      2nd day the dome of the sky is created

Enuma Elish
      creation of the firmament (dome

Genesis
      3rd day creation of dry land

Enuma Elish
      creation of dry land

Genesis
      4th day creation of heavenly lights

Enuma Elish
      creation of heavenly lights

Genesis
      5th day creation of animals

Enuma Elish

creation of animals

Genesis
      6th day creation of man

Enuma Elish
      creation of man

Genesis
      God rests and sanctifies the sabbath

Enuma Elish
      the gods rest and celebrate with a banquet

You want to understand your religions, you need to understand the source material.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #7: May 24, 2017 07:45:41 pm
      As Salam Walaykum...

Peace be unto you..

This is the Muslim greeting.

I'm really looking forward to this thread & hopefully learn about other faiths.

Me too. We should discuss misconceptions and deal with facts.

Peace be with you!
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #8: May 24, 2017 07:47:20 pm
      Abraham was born, raised and schooled in Sumer.

Hints of Polytheism can't be found in the Torah and throughout Genesis.

Elohym in Hebrew translates as plural aka Gods.

Genesis 1:26
      And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

Genesis 11:7
      "Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

The seven tablets of creation vs seven days of creation.
      Epic of Gilgamesh vs Noah's flood
      Garden of E-den vs Garden of Eden
      Adamu vs Adam

Genesis
      God creates all matter, but is independent
      of it Earth is in darkness and chaos over
      the deep (Tehom).

Enuma Elish
      The Divine Spirits and cosmic matters
      coexist and are coeternal. There is a
      primeval chaos in which the gods war
      against the deep (Tiamat).

Genesis
      1st day the creation of light

Enuma Elish
      Light emanates from the gods

Genesis
      2nd day the dome of the sky is created

Enuma Elish
      creation of the firmament (dome

Genesis
      3rd day creation of dry land

Enuma Elish
      creation of dry land

Genesis
      4th day creation of heavenly lights

Enuma Elish
      creation of heavenly lights

Genesis
      5th day creation of animals

Enuma Elish

creation of animals

Genesis
      6th day creation of man

Enuma Elish
      creation of man

Genesis
      God rests and sanctifies the sabbath

Enuma Elish
      the gods rest and celebrate with a banquet

You want to understand your religions, you need to understand the source material.

You have brought me back memories from University.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #9: May 24, 2017 07:50:47 pm
      Me too. We should discuss misconceptions and deal with facts.

Peace be with you!

Shall we start with the creation of Adam?..
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #10: May 24, 2017 07:54:43 pm
      Shall we start with the creation of Adam?..

Why not. We can discuss different views of the same 'event'.

Those who write a post, should say what he believe in and which domination because sometimes even the same religion has different views.

Are there any Jews on this site?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #11: May 24, 2017 08:08:50 pm
      Why not. We can discuss different views of the same 'event'.

Those who write a post, should say what he believe in and which domination because sometimes even the same religion has different views.

Are there any Jews on this site?

Allah tells us in the Quran that he created Adam in his own image, by this he means with his own hands & Adam does not resemble Allah but is the work of Allah, created from Clay.

Surah 2 Al Baqarah (The Cow)..
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #12: May 24, 2017 08:13:12 pm
      Allah tells us in the Quran that he created Adam in his own image, by this he means with his own hands & Adam does not resemble Allah but is the work of Allah, created from Clay.

Surah 2 Al Baqarah (The Cow)..

Catholic. We believe that Adam is created on the image and likeness of God. By God, we believe, Jesus, since no one can resemble God. The only difference is that between us and Jesus, we believe that He is perfect and without sin.

Adam was created from dust/from the Earth.

[I'm Maltese, we are influenced a lot from the Arabic world, mostly our language. God is translated as Alla. In Maltese, a cow is translated as Baqra (singular) and baqar (plurial).]
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2017 08:17:42 pm by clint_call01 »
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #13: May 24, 2017 08:33:42 pm
      Catholic. We believe that Adam is created on the image and likeness of God. By God, we believe, Jesus, since no one can resemble God. The only difference is that between us and Jesus, we believe that He is perfect and without sin.

Adam was created from dust/from the Earth.

[I'm Maltese, we are influenced a lot from the Arabic world, mostly our language. In Maltese, a cow is translated as Baqra (singular) and baqar (plurial).]

Yes was just reading up about the Maltese language being heavily influenced by Arabic just as is English words.

The Quran mentions the miraculous birth of Jesus (ISA).

Surah 19.

Zachariah called out to his lord Allah,indeed my bones have grown feeble & grey hair has spread on my head & I have never been unblessed in my invocation to you.

Zachariah wanted an heir so Allah granted his prayer and gave hi glad tidings of a son John the Baptist (Yayah), a name given to none before him.

Mary ( Miriam) Drew in seclusion to a place facing the East, Mary placed a screen between them & Angel Gabriel (Jibreel)  was sent to her in a form of a man.

Gabriel gave her the news of a special gift a righteous son, Mary said how can I have a child when no man has touched me & I am not unchaste?..

Gabriel said to her your lord Allah Sid that is easy for him ' So it will be ' & so she conceived him.

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,456 posts | 2399 
      Reply #14: May 24, 2017 08:41:31 pm
      Yes was just reading up about the Maltese language being heavily influenced by Arabic just as is English words.

The Quran mentions the miraculous birth of Jesus (ISA).

Surah 19.

Zachariah called out to his lord Allah,indeed my bones have grown feeble & grey hair has spread on my head & I have never been unblessed in my invocation to you.

Zachariah wanted an heir so Allah granted his prayer and gave hi glad tidings of a son John the Baptist (Yayah), a name given to none before him.

Mary ( Miriam) Drew in seclusion to a place facing the East, Mary placed a screen between them & Angel Gabriel (Jibreel)  was sent to her in a form of a man.

Gabriel gave her the news of a special gift a righteous son, Mary said how can I have a child when no man has touched me & I am not unchaste?..

Gabriel said to her your lord Allah Sid that is easy for him ' So it will be ' & so she conceived him.

We will continue on this but I'm very tired and off to sleep. Peace to all!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #15: May 24, 2017 08:49:25 pm
      Anybody believe that Flying Spaghetti Monster created the entire universe and all its contents in just four days?

http://flyingspaghettimonster.wikia.com/wiki/Pastafarianism
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #16: May 24, 2017 08:51:34 pm
      We will continue on this but I'm very tired and off to sleep. Peace to all!

Peace out bro.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,944 posts | 1757 
      Reply #17: May 24, 2017 09:13:40 pm
      DNA is 95% Norwegian so was raised a Lutheran. 

K-8 was in a private Lutheran school
      9-11 was a Southern Baptist High School.

Ages 18-49 I would call myself agnostic.

Last year I took refugee and am a practicing Mahayana Buddhist in the along the Humanistic path; the title is a good one as "interfaith" as despite being known as a religion it's essence is really not religious in the traditional manner.

Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #18: May 24, 2017 09:47:32 pm
      DNA is 95% Norwegian so was raised a Lutheran. 

K-8 was in a private Lutheran school
      9-11 was a Southern Baptist High School.

Ages 18-49 I would call myself agnostic.

Last year I took refugee and am a practicing Mahayana Buddhist in the along the Humanistic path; the title is a good one as "interfaith" as despite being known as a religion it's essence is really not religious in the traditional manner.

Do you meditate Az & what does it do for you?..

AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,944 posts | 1757 
      Reply #19: May 24, 2017 09:58:47 pm
      Do you meditate Az & what does it do for you?..

I actually do very little meditation as I have not had the time to really learn how to do it right.

To give you an ultra generic viewpoint there are two main styles of Buddhism

Southern (Theravada) which you find in India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Cambodia...etc.etc

Northern (Mahayana) Which you find in China, Tibet, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and Taiwan (which is where my main temple is located)

Southern is very very meditation-centric you are using it to improve yourself which is your main focus

Northern (while meditation, especially Zen is important) helping others is the best way to improve yourself.

There are thousands of Sutra (texts) some huge in size some very small, all are recognized however Southern Sects (and yes there are sub-sects of Northern/Southern) related moreso to some and Northern moreso to others.

There are many path's to enlightenment and there really is no right or wrong way to get there it just depends on the path you want to take.

As for Meditation and your original question.

The mind itself is nothing more than a jumbled mess of thoughts, passions and desires. These desires lead to suffering in various forms, meditation is a way to control the mind which helps to control desires and as such help alleviate suffering.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2017 10:17:34 pm by AZPatriot »
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #20: May 24, 2017 10:28:04 pm
      I actually do very little meditation as I have not had the time to really learn how to do it right.

To give you an ultra generic viewpoint there are two main styles of Buddhism

Southern (Theravada) which you find in India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Cambodia...etc.etc

Northern (Mahayana) Which you find in China, Tibet, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and Taiwan (which is where my main temple is located)

Southern is very very meditation-centric you are using it to improve yourself which is your main focus

Northern (while meditation, especially Zen is important) helping others is the best way to improve yourself.

There are thousands of Sutra (texts) some huge in size some very small, all are recognized however Southern Sects (and yes there are sub-sects of Northern/Southern) related moreso to some and Northern moreso to others.

There are many path's to enlightenment and there really is no right or wrong way to get there it just depends on the path you want to take.

As for Meditation and your original question.

The mind itself is nothing more than a jumbled mess of thoughts, passions and desires. These desires lead to suffering in various forms, meditation is a way to control the mind which helps to control desires and as such help alleviate suffering.

Before the Prophet Muhammad was given the prophethood he would mediate in a cave on the outskirts of Makkah, I've claimed that cave & it's called Jabal Al Hira ( Mountain of Light)

Prayer was established as apposed to meditation & what you describe above is very similar to pray...

When do a Wudu ( Washing Ritual ) which involves sniffing water up your nostrils, rinsing out the mouth, washing up to your wrist then elbows, face, top of head, ears & finally feet up to your ankles...

The process above calms our nervous system down before we stand in prayer as the places that are washed have pulse points..

Then we seek to achieve a state of Serenity (Saqoon) in prayer which is like a meditation oneness in connection with the creator..

Just touching on the Wudu point... Surgeons do a similar ritual before going into theatre, this was adopted from the early Muslims doctors in Spain before they would operate on a person..
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,501 posts | 611 
      Reply #21: May 24, 2017 10:38:14 pm

Nope, not Islam, there is a whole ''soora'' dedicated to monotheism it's called ''Al Ahad'' which basically confirms it.

Though what I found strange in the Quran that ''soorat al fatiha'' is a prayer to God from the prophet, which contradicts in many ways the divine status of the book.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,944 posts | 1757 
      Reply #22: May 24, 2017 10:50:18 pm
      So a real general question on Islam...the different sects/faiths? compare and contrast for someone that has very limited knowledge on the subject. While Christianity, Buddhism, Judism all have different faiths within them...for the most part everyone seems to pretty much get along but from my limited viewpoint it would seem there is a very large divide within the Islamic faith.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #23: May 24, 2017 10:52:22 pm
      Nope, not Islam, there is a whole ''soora'' dedicated to monotheism it's called ''Al Ahad'' which basically confirms it.

Though what I found strange in the Quran that ''soorat al fatiha'' is a prayer to God from the prophet, which contradicts in many ways the divine status of the book.

Surat Fatiha...  (The Opening)

1) In the name of Allah, The most gracious, the Most Merciful.

2) All the praises & thanks be to Allah, Lord Mankind, Jinn & all that exist.

3) The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

4) The Only Owner of the day of recompense.

5) You Alone We Worship & you Alone we ask for help.

6) Guide us to the Straight Path.

7) Not the path of those who have gone astray..

These 7 verses are decried in the opening of the 5 daily prayers & every rakat ( unit of prayer) ...

How does this contradict? Muhammad never revealed the Quran, this was the role of Gabriel, who spoke God's word.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2017 10:59:39 pm by Shabs »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,955 posts | 3130 
      Reply #24: May 24, 2017 10:58:14 pm
      Something reassuring in having a belief I suppose!

Any way any of you boys know what your God was upto for the billions of years before he decided to create Man Kind?

Quick Reply