Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Naby Keita - RB Leipzig

Read 193427 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Neiby Keita - RB Leipzig
      Reply #1104: Jul 20, 2017 07:01:18 pm
      Eh?

They work in Euros, the price would been the price regardless of the strength of the pound. I understand your point meaning we may now have to pay more due to the downturn but their value will not have changed because of it.

Inflation due to market conditions, that's a different factor as AZ says. People now seeing that players like Walker going for £50m etc will have an influence on seller's expectations.
      the pound lost about 10% over the last year against the euro. a £50m will cost us £55m before we think about player inflation, so yeah if 70m is the new 50m then players have gone up 15m considering 5m is due to weaker pound.
      To clarify,

50+15+5=70

50 old price
      15 inflation.
      5 weaker pound.

About right?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1105: Jul 20, 2017 07:03:31 pm
      the pound lost about 10% over the last year against the euro. a £50m will cost us £55m before we think about player inflation, so yeah if 70m is the new 50m then players have gone up 15m considering 5m is due to weaker pound.

We were first linked with him in May.....has the pound really lost 10% since the original linking at £48-50,000,000?

It means nothing what the pound did in the last year only what it has done since we first were linked and the price then.

Try again.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1106: Jul 20, 2017 07:10:18 pm
      We were first linked with him in May.....has the pound really lost 10% since the original linking at £48-50,000,000?

It means nothing what the pound did in the last year only what it has done since we first were linked and the price then.

Try again.
      I was talking about player prices this year compared to last year. You really do take pleasure in trying to make people look stupid.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1107: Jul 20, 2017 07:16:44 pm
      I was talking about player prices this year compared to last year. You really do take pleasure in trying to make people look stupid.

The entire conversation was based on this

If you go back to when we were first linked with him it was figured he was going to cost somewhere around  £50,000,000 to get it done....now £70,000,000.

Amazing inflation in this years transfer market.

To which you responded this

It is more because the pound lost its value against the Euro.

We were linked with Keita in May of 2017...the increase in price over the past 2 months has f**k all to do with the Pound vs. Euro

Were talking about Keita, nobody knows what the f**k your talking about half the time...as far as looking stupid you don't need mine or anybody else's help.

Try understanding the conversation before jumping in on one of your tangents that leads to nowhere.

As another poster commented yesterday you really could sit in a graveyard and argue with the dead....amazing
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2017 07:23:35 pm by AZPatriot »
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1108: Jul 20, 2017 07:17:08 pm
      Out of interest how would you improve our transfer policy? What i call pathetic is people moaning about the owners at every given opportunity, now that is childish in my opinion.

I'm against huge overspending to secure a signing and I'm tired of the bidding too low and increasing in small increments which risks annoying the selling club. So, I would prefer us to be a little more savvy and aim for the middle ground.

I take your point about some fans who are never happy whatever the club does. Best to ignore them.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1109: Jul 20, 2017 07:32:28 pm
      Gotta say, this feels like it's not going to happen. I'd quite like us to switch our attention to Naingollan, Surely he would fit our defensive minded requirements a bit more anyway?

Been playing further forward recently
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1110: Jul 20, 2017 07:49:47 pm
      It is more because the pound lost its value against the Euro.

Don't think it's lost £20mill worth...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1111: Jul 20, 2017 08:47:23 pm
      These poor fuckers could fall in a barrel of tits and come out sucking their thumbs

:D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,250 posts | 6364 
      Reply #1112: Jul 20, 2017 08:50:44 pm

It still has nothing to do with the pound vs the euro. I'm not sure who upvoted you but they are just as clueless in this.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1113: Jul 20, 2017 10:00:18 pm
      Gotta say, this feels like it's not going to happen. I'd quite like us to switch our attention to Naingollan, Surely he would fit our defensive minded requirements a bit more anyway?

Do we need a defensive midfielder? We have Henderson, Can and Milner who can play there. Attacking Midfield we can utilise Can, Coutinho, Lallana etc. The special nature of Keita and the reason we want him is because he can play both. Short of another player who can, is there a reason to spend more cash on the midfield? Wouldn't it be better to get another attacker and/or another Central Defender? Besides, a twenty nine year old doesn't fit FSG's model.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1114: Jul 20, 2017 10:16:32 pm

Some people take less trying than others.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1115: Jul 20, 2017 10:19:36 pm
      That is some rich irony right there.

As I say, People really can disagree.

You say FSG need to stop annoying teams, I don't think that is the pattern of its dealings. You do. I can live with that.

You say we need to get a plan. I think we have one. The plan may include a shorter list of possible targets, and Klopp has suggested as much, but it would still be a plan, despite saying in your original post "Not having a replacement lined up is not having a plan." I can live with that.

You say we need to stop leaking interest in players to the media and then telling people in question the player in question chose Liverpool above all others. I don't think there is any certainty about who is leaking what to who (leaving aside how much of a pattern of this practice exists). You seem convinced. To each his own.

It seems to me - and I am willing to concede I may be wrong about what you think re this because in your three posts I'm not quite getting the same message - that you think FSG is not backing the manager. I believe they are both backing him and that the manager and ownership are very much on the same page about the direction of the club and its transfer dealings. I believe Klopp when he says he has full support and he is absolutely happy with FSG and its support in the transfer market.
      Look, you are probably getting a mixed message because you are looking for something that is not there. There has been no deviation from anything I have said despite you cherry picking what I have posted or you looking to put it out of context.

As I said, no one can predict the future, but we can learn from history. Two Champions League appearances since FSG took over. A transfer strategy that has not been good, various PR blunders, a transfer ban and two apologies for being stupid enough to get tapping up players.

The ultra positive fan says that there is a plan, and that they are OK even in the case where there is no replacement for a player earmarked in what is seen as a position where the team lacks. Why? They believe in Klopp no matter what.

I wonder, those who are concerned, do they not believe in Klopp? Or is it that there is hope that he gets the best tools required to take back this team to its glory days? That some of the better players in the world can come in and form the foundation for a team that can get back to not only making the Champions League every year, but competing for that competition, the league and domestic cups. Is this not what everyone wants?

We seem to have forgotten that we did not play strong teams in the League Cup and the FA Cup, that the team did also not have the burden of European competition last season. Two qualifiers, six group games are 8 games that the team did not have to worry about, and if all goes as planned, they will be in the premier club competition.

Now, I do not believe that the team has a divine right to win trophies, I also do not believe that the team has a right to get any player that it wants using any means necessary. What I believe in is the fact that the team needs to get to a place where the best is done to help it achieve consistent performance that allows it to compete at the highest level.

When Klopp came in and his first two signings were Matip and Karius, there was talk that the team was now in a position where simply scouting well would get us to a position where Dortmund were; minimal spend and the team performing better. What people did not see is that Dortmund's spending was on its way up as their financial condition improved.
      Those thoughts were swiftly put aside when he spent more than he had ever spent on anyone when he got Sadio Mane. He has gone above that to get Salah, and gone way higher in an attempt to get Naby Keita.

It is however not fashionable to some that a complaint, or concern should be raised when it comes to the transfer market. If Klopp had reinforced the team when he came in, maybe the team would have been better placed to compete in the Europa League final against Sevilla. If he had not gambled last season, maybe the team would not have stumbled onto fourth in the last day of the season.

What I know is this, teams around are getting talent, and are mainly getting younger. On paper, they should get better. The same folk who were of the opinion that Rodgers ought to get whoever he wanted kept quiet when his poor buys landed the team back in mid table. The same people who are championing that if there is no backup, all is OK will also keep quiet if the team falls back and people are discussing what may have gone wrong.

For teams looking to improve, team performance gets better or you improve through the market or by promoting youth who can get it done at top level. There are not that many a great young player in the setup, and there are glaring holes that have needed filling for years. Raising concern to some like you may seem like noise; it was noise when Dalglish and Commolli wasted a lot of money, when Rodgers did it too, and the opposite extreme should the team not land players is also fine.

fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1117: Jul 20, 2017 10:32:44 pm

Not confirmed mate it's German Sky just reporting on something the Mirror published earlier today.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #1118: Jul 20, 2017 10:35:10 pm

I had to sieve through 4 pages of arguments to get to actual news. Christ.

If they reject this then no chance this summer. Midfield is not the main priority though in my eyes, defence HAS to be. To go in the new season with Lovren, Matip, Klavan and Gomez (even though I F***ing love Joe) would be criminal.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1119: Jul 21, 2017 12:31:44 am
      I had to sieve through 4 pages of arguments to get to actual news. Christ.

It's not all bad.

I'm now an expert on currency.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1120: Jul 21, 2017 01:23:15 am
      Look, you are probably getting a mixed message because you are looking for something that is not there. There has been no deviation from anything I have said despite you cherry picking what I have posted or you looking to put it out of context.

As I said, no one can predict the future, but we can learn from history. Two Champions League appearances since FSG took over. A transfer strategy that has not been good, various PR blunders, a transfer ban and two apologies for being stupid enough to get tapping up players.

The ultra positive fan says that there is a plan, and that they are OK even in the case where there is no replacement for a player earmarked in what is seen as a position where the team lacks. Why? They believe in Klopp no matter what.

I wonder, those who are concerned, do they not believe in Klopp? Or is it that there is hope that he gets the best tools required to take back this team to its glory days? That some of the better players in the world can come in and form the foundation for a team that can get back to not only making the Champions League every year, but competing for that competition, the league and domestic cups. Is this not what everyone wants?

We seem to have forgotten that we did not play strong teams in the League Cup and the FA Cup, that the team did also not have the burden of European competition last season. Two qualifiers, six group games are 8 games that the team did not have to worry about, and if all goes as planned, they will be in the premier club competition.

Now, I do not believe that the team has a divine right to win trophies, I also do not believe that the team has a right to get any player that it wants using any means necessary. What I believe in is the fact that the team needs to get to a place where the best is done to help it achieve consistent performance that allows it to compete at the highest level.

When Klopp came in and his first two signings were Matip and Karius, there was talk that the team was now in a position where simply scouting well would get us to a position where Dortmund were; minimal spend and the team performing better. What people did not see is that Dortmund's spending was on its way up as their financial condition improved.
      Those thoughts were swiftly put aside when he spent more than he had ever spent on anyone when he got Sadio Mane. He has gone above that to get Salah, and gone way higher in an attempt to get Naby Keita.

It is however not fashionable to some that a complaint, or concern should be raised when it comes to the transfer market. If Klopp had reinforced the team when he came in, maybe the team would have been better placed to compete in the Europa League final against Sevilla. If he had not gambled last season, maybe the team would not have stumbled onto fourth in the last day of the season.

What I know is this, teams around are getting talent, and are mainly getting younger. On paper, they should get better. The same folk who were of the opinion that Rodgers ought to get whoever he wanted kept quiet when his poor buys landed the team back in mid table. The same people who are championing that if there is no backup, all is OK will also keep quiet if the team falls back and people are discussing what may have gone wrong.

For teams looking to improve, team performance gets better or you improve through the market or by promoting youth who can get it done at top level. There are not that many a great young player in the setup, and there are glaring holes that have needed filling for years. Raising concern to some like you may seem like noise; it was noise when Dalglish and Commolli wasted a lot of money, when Rodgers did it too, and the opposite extreme should the team not land players is also fine.

Not looking for anything. I'm reading your posts. Each post in our exchange I went back to your original four points and have stated why I disagree with them. Quoting your comment is hardly "cherry-picking."

I so understand what you are saying. I have been reading similar arguments on here for more than a year. It is an intellectually defensible opinion and I always support the right to express views. I just happen to disagree with most of what you say,and I've tried to state why. I am an admirer of Klopp for sure,but believe it or not, there is an opinion separate from yours that is also thought through.

As to "noise," certainly not my term or my opinion of those unhappy with leadership. As to "unfashionable," what is unfashionable on this forum at least is defending the club leadership. Criticizing management, especially regarding transfer policy, is the majority opinion here, a dog-bites-man story.

grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1121: Jul 21, 2017 02:37:01 am
      Not looking for anything. I'm reading your posts. Each post in our exchange I went back to your original four points and have stated why I disagree with them. Quoting your comment is hardly "cherry-picking."

I so understand what you are saying. I have been reading similar arguments on here for more than a year. It is an intellectually defensible opinion and I always support the right to express views. I just happen to disagree with most of what you say,and I've tried to state why. I am an admirer of Klopp for sure,but believe it or not, there is an opinion separate from yours that is also thought through.

As to "noise," certainly not my term or my opinion of those unhappy with leadership. As to "unfashionable," what is unfashionable on this forum at least is defending the club leadership. Criticizing management, especially regarding transfer policy, is the majority opinion here, a dog-bites-man story.
      1) Nothing changed in my assessment. You chose to see what was not there, picked something out that you then took out of context.

2) I have been down this route more times than I want to remember; every time the team under-performs, every time there is a false dawn, there is only one thing that comes to mind. That has always been a poor transfer window.

3) Critique is one of the best things that can happen. Not long ago Klopp was making comments about the fee that Pogba cost and some blindly followed what he said. £66M for a player would have been the fourth biggest fee in England. Morata, Lukaku, Pogba being the other transfers.

In short, managers chat a lot of sh*t when it suits them. A poor window on a season when most others have got better followed by regression should it happen? People will be looking at one thing only, not the manager, not the owners, at least not directly at first, but the transfer window before allocating blame.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1122: Jul 21, 2017 03:12:00 am
      Took nothing out of context. Answered your four points. You can't respect another opinion, I can't help you.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1123: Jul 21, 2017 08:20:25 am
      Took nothing out of context. Answered your four points. You can't respect another opinion, I can't help you.
      Mate,look at this statement and what you quoted. Look at a simple statement like one cannot expect Klopp to make a complaint in public that you switched to mean the owners were shafting Klopp.

Or look at your point on we know nothing, it was simply reported. You are looking for a non existent point to debate against. Even now, if someone asked you to point out an inconsistency in what I have said all this time, you will struggle. Maybe English isn't a strong point.....that is the only thing I can think of.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1124: Jul 21, 2017 09:54:07 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,250 posts | 6364 
      Reply #1125: Jul 21, 2017 12:24:54 pm

This is the guy that's been sourcing almost everything about this transfer. The club should have put him on mute but I guess they still haven't learned their lesson if they are really going to submit a third bid.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #1126: Jul 21, 2017 12:59:20 pm
      Just jumped from page 33 to here as I'm pretty sure not much has happened.

Quick Reply