Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Naby Keita - RB Leipzig

Read 193567 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Neiby Keita - RB Leipzig
      Reply #161: Jun 22, 2017 03:53:42 pm
      We were interested in him last year? WTF did we not go for him? I remember watching Soccer AM, and the scout/statistic person said Keita had one of the best stats for a midfielder in Europe, and that he would be the perfect replacement for Kante at Leicester if he were to leave.

I remember watching that and coming here and posting it, but no one knew wtf he was then! lmao.

Confess I do not remember him being a target of ours last season. Dahoud and Zielinski, but I didn't really know about this guy until this past season unfolded.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Jun 22, 2017 03:57:07 pm
      I literally have zero confidence that this will happen. Even less confidence than I do about VVD coming here, and I have about 1% confidence of that deal getting done.

This.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #163: Jun 22, 2017 03:57:35 pm
      I literally have zero confidence that this will happen. Even less confidence than I do about VVD coming here, and I have about 1% confidence of that deal getting done.

VVD deal will get done ;)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #164: Jun 22, 2017 04:02:18 pm
      Confess I do not remember him being a target of ours last season. Dahoud and Zielinski, but I didn't really know about this guy until this past season unfolded.

I don't think any of us did tbh. It was an American scout who was an ex employee of a Championship (or league one, can't remember exactly) club that scouted him out and pinpoint him as a Kante clone. I wonder who he works for now.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #165: Jun 22, 2017 05:10:16 pm
      Looking through the rumours, we might look into going back in for Piotr Zielinski.

We should do, he's been brilliant since his move
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #166: Jun 22, 2017 06:09:59 pm
      We should do, he's been brilliant since his move

Reddy and Joyce mentioned on the podcast the other day that Napoli are looking for 60 million for him....no thanks; if we can't have Keita for that money then I would rather have Ox @ £25m.

With Coutinho moving back to the midfield I would expect to see

Coutinho    Lallana/Gini/Gruijc

Can/Hendo

Looking at Keita I think he is a player you could put anywhere in the mid-field and would excel....I am not that convinced by Zielinski....I would rather bank the £35 million difference pick up Ox (who can play anywhere in the midfield 2 and get another Salah type.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #167: Jun 22, 2017 07:12:42 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #168: Jun 23, 2017 04:49:26 pm
      He's the kind of player that if you don't sign him this summer for 50m will go next summer for 80m to somewhere like a Real or a Barca.

He's that good.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #169: Jun 23, 2017 05:41:46 pm
      He's the kind of player that if you don't sign him this summer for 50m will go next summer for 80m to somewhere like a Real or a Barca.

He's that good.

Player is going to have to hand in a transfer request as RB is flush with cash, has CL and don't want to sell.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #170: Jun 23, 2017 05:59:20 pm
      Player is going to have to hand in a transfer request as RB is flush with cash, has CL and don't want to sell.

How is that different than when Sanchez went to Arsenal?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #171: Jun 23, 2017 06:27:29 pm
      How is that different than when Sanchez went to Arsenal?

I don't know FL.

Only thing I can think of is that it's a different player, a different club, a different league.

Why did Griezmann not go to United?
      Why did Gerrard not go to Chelsea?
      Why did Ibrahimovic not go to Arsenal?

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #172: Jun 23, 2017 07:01:19 pm
      I don't know FL.

Only thing I can think of is that it's a different player, a different club, a different league.

Why did Griezmann not go to United?
      Why did Gerrard not go to Chelsea?
      Why did Ibrahimovic not go to Arsenal?

My point is, just because a club doesn't want to sell a player, doesn't mean a player can't be sold. Barca had the exact same scenario as you layed out for Keita, infact even more so because they are one of the big 2 in the world. And yet Sanchez traded them for life in the EPL....

Now I don't think Keita will come here (mostly because I don't think we'll lodge a big enough bid), but he certainly will be sold if the right  offer comes in, regardless of those items you noted, in my opinion.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #173: Jun 23, 2017 07:48:18 pm
      My point is, just because a club doesn't want to sell a player, doesn't mean a player can't be sold. Barca had the exact same scenario as you layed out for Keita, infact even more so because they are one of the big 2 in the world. And yet Sanchez traded them for life in the EPL....

Now I don't think Keita will come here (mostly because I don't think we'll lodge a big enough bid), but he certainly will be sold if the right  offer comes in, regardless of those items you noted, in my opinion.

I suppose that could be the case with any player, question is if RB's number to move Keita would be £100 million would it be wise to do it?

There is a line where doing it regardless of cost makes no sense for a club.

Quite honestly they're not wanting to sell would be no different than Barca coming in for Coutinho...he may be worth £70 million but I would not sell him for less than £100 million as we don't need the money and we are trying to build something just like Salzburg is.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #174: Jun 23, 2017 07:58:37 pm
      I suppose that could be the case with any player, question is if RB's number to move Keita would be £100 million would it be wise to do it?

There is a line where doing it regardless of cost makes no sense for a club.

Quite honestly they're not wanting to sell would be no different than Barca coming in for Coutinho...he may be worth £70 million but I would not sell him for less than £100 million as we don't need the money and we are trying to build something just like Salzburg is.

If Barca offered 75m Coutinho would be out the door.

If we offer 50-60 for Keita, he'd be ours, but we won't offer that much.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #175: Jun 23, 2017 08:15:13 pm

Wow, wish I had crystal ball as self-assured as yours; mine keeps telling me to wait and see what happens.

So many absolute facts, amazing indeed.
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2017 08:43:59 pm by AZPatriot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #176: Jun 23, 2017 08:25:07 pm

£75M.........I don't think so.

Leipzig are owned by owners much richer than ours so they don't need the money, and if the rumours are right about Forsberg wanting to leave then I doubt they will want to see they're two main stars leave in the same window.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #177: Jun 23, 2017 09:59:02 pm
      Wow, wish I had crystal ball as self-assured as yours; mine keeps telling me to wait and see what happens.

Of course you want to wait and see what happens...that's the easiest way to always appear to be right :D

But it is easier than taking a position now, then owning up when it turns out to be wrong. See I've put mine in plain sight....if we offer 50-60m for Keita he'll be ours...but we won't. So there's  two decision factors that you can call me on if they don't come to fruition. See that's why these threads are about  transfer gossip and discussion...we can talk about what we believe instead of just waiting for Jürgen to speak so we can parrot his talking points.

Try it, you'll like it ;D

I also firmly believe if Barca offered 75m for Coutinho that he'll be gone. Now if they offer that and we keep him, I'll GLADLY eat crow. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #178: Jun 25, 2017 12:53:55 pm
      Of course you want to wait and see what happens...that's the easiest way to always appear to be right
      To be fair; maybe it's just a case of 41 times bitten...  :laugh:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #179: Jun 25, 2017 01:35:44 pm
      To be fair; maybe it's just a case of 41 times bitten...  :laugh:

'Wait see' has indeed been the FSG anthem for nigh on eight years, eight years of dashed expectation and multiple bite marks.

We wait to see if Coutinho's exit is the price we pay for our signing of Salah and if someone gives the nod for the  excess monies (plus some) to be used improving other areas of play.

We still wait and see and hope for the best.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #180: Jun 25, 2017 02:07:28 pm

Southampton want £70M for VVD.
      Leipzig want £60M Keita.

LFC spend £34M on Salah.

All absolute facts.

LFC need a proven striker, a defensive midfielder and at least one classy defender.

More facts.

Coutinho may be sold and the fee could be used to pay back the Salah transfer money with potential brought in with the loose change.

A scenario assembled with experience of FSG's business methods and their refusal to use their own money to bolster a secure investment.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2017 05:21:43 pm by stuey »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #181: Jun 25, 2017 03:52:10 pm
      Southampton want £70M for VVD.
      Leipzig want £60M Keira.

LFC spend £34M on Salah.

All absolute facts.

LFC need a proven striker, a defensive midfielder and at least one classy defender.

More facts.

Coutinho may be sold and the fee could be used to pay back the Salah transfer money with potential brought in with the loose change.

A scenario assembled with experience of FSG's business methods and their refusal to use their own money to bolster a secure investment.

Stuey to be fair mate....don't count on another striker unless Studge leaves, if you have listened to the manager the past 18 months you know that a defensive mid (in the classic sense) is not going to happen aa the neither mid-fielders Keita or Ox or Zielinski that we have been linked with are defensive.

I would suspect were going to see CB, AM, a young LB, and another attacking type option up front..be it a winger/or just another front player.

I would not call another striker a fact at all.....probably like 5th on his list of priorities when the Summer started, and defensive mid was not even on a list

Jürgen Klopp Discusses Why Signing a Defensive Midfielder Is Not a Necessity for Liverpool

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has revealed that he is not fussed about adding a new defensive midfielder to his squad this summer.

The Merseyside giants secured Champions League football by beating Middlesbrough 3-0 on the final day of the season and then jetted off to Australia for a special friendly in Sydney.

The Reds won 3-0 with the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Steve McManaman making cameo appearances and after the game, Klopp answered questions regarding the defensive midfield positions in his team.

"Second balls after set-pieces, another defensive midfielder would not really be around this situation so it does not help a lot," he said, per ​Liverpool's official website.

"Half-spaces when counter-pressing does not work, another defensive midfielder [does not help], it's all about organisation. We did already much better in the last few games and we improved around set-pieces a lot.

Klopp's favoured midfield trio of Jordan Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana paid dividends for the club in the early parts of the season and it seems the manager wants to sign players to suit that system, not make it more pragmatic.

http://www.90min.com/posts/5050752-Jürgen-klopp-discusses-why-signing-a-defensive-midfielder-is-not-a-necessity-for-liverpool

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2017 03:58:36 pm by AZPatriot »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #182: Jun 25, 2017 05:48:33 pm
      Stuey to be fair mate....don't count on another striker unless Studge leaves, if you have listened to the manager the past 18 months you know that a defensive mid (in the classic sense) is not going to happen aa the neither mid-fielders Keita or Ox or Zielinski that we have been linked with are defensive.

I would suspect were going to see CB, AM, a young LB, and another attacking type option up front..be it a winger/or just another front player.

I would not call another striker a fact at all.....probably like 5th on his list of priorities when the Summer started, and defensive mid was not even on a list

Jürgen Klopp Discusses Why Signing a Defensive Midfielder Is Not a Necessity for Liverpool

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has revealed that he is not fussed about adding a new defensive midfielder to his squad this summer.

The Merseyside giants secured Champions League football by beating Middlesbrough 3-0 on the final day of the season and then jetted off to Australia for a special friendly in Sydney.

The Reds won 3-0 with the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Steve McManaman making cameo appearances and after the game, Klopp answered questions regarding the defensive midfield positions in his team.

"Second balls after set-pieces, another defensive midfielder would not really be around this situation so it does not help a lot," he said, per ​Liverpool's official website.

"Half-spaces when counter-pressing does not work, another defensive midfielder [does not help], it's all about organisation. We did already much better in the last few games and we improved around set-pieces a lot.

Klopp's favoured midfield trio of Jordan Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana paid dividends for the club in the early parts of the season and it seems the manager wants to sign players to suit that system, not make it more pragmatic.

http://www.90min.com/posts/5050752-Jürgen-klopp-discusses-why-signing-a-defensive-midfielder-is-not-a-necessity-for-liverpool

My point exactly Erik, I am not counting on a striker, a DM or anything else, from experience with the hypothetical sale of Coutinho we will have the remainder of the fee, when Salah fee is taken out, to address any weaknesses in the team.

On the Studge issue the only solution would be to get shut, fine player and this that and the other but there will be more pressure next season and his injury record is a no no,
      Added to the remainder of the Coutinho fee there should be enough in the pot for a good  striker,

That leaves the debatable DM and defensive positions to think about, unless FSG change tack it looks like more of the same.
      Wait and see time again.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #183: Jun 25, 2017 06:07:24 pm
      My point exactly Erik, I am not counting on a striker, a DM or anything else, from experience with the hypothetical sale of Coutinho we will have the remainder of the fee, when Salah fee is taken out, to address any weaknesses in the team.

On the Studge issue the only solution would be to get shut, fine player and this that and the other but there will be more pressure next season and his injury record is a no no,
      Added to the remainder of the Coutinho fee there should be enough in the pot for a good  striker,

That leaves the debatable DM and defensive positions to think about, unless FSG change tack it looks like more of the same.
      Wait and see time again.

Don't know Stu.....I think selling Coutinho is nowhere in the cards to be honest

Quick Reply