Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Naby Keita - RB Leipzig

Read 193891 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Neiby Keita - RB Leipzig
      Reply #736: Jul 14, 2017 04:32:30 pm
      I think Henderson was doing a fine job as a number 6 before his injury, but I am really concerned about his injury issues. It doesn't seem to be simply a matter of bad luck, but rather a chronic situation.

I'm far from convinced with Emre Can still, I find him an erratic and inconsistent player whose good performances are blown out of proportion.

Still, with the likes of Gini, Keita and Lallana also available, things are certainly looking good for our midfield. Really hoping this one will go through.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #737: Jul 14, 2017 04:33:32 pm
      So what's Keita like? No, seriously

One thing I don't do is look at those Youtube clips of players we are really really really about to sign - because when I do, they look great, then the deal falls through.

So what's Keita like, any good?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #738: Jul 14, 2017 04:37:26 pm

One thing I don't do is look at those Youtube clips of players we are really really really about to sign - because when I do, they look great, then the deal falls through.

Every time I watched him for Leipzig he was an all action type of midfielder, someone who can defend and get stuck in, but will constantly move forward as well, a proper box-to-box in many respects. Leipzig played some nice football to watch and he was a big part of it, along with my favourite Forsberg who's so damn cool on the ball.

People who've seen him at Salzburg say he also played as a defensive midfielder over there, but apparently they really started to get the best out of him when he was given freedom to attack a bit more. At Leipzig he usually played in a midfield that contained more defensive minded players such as Diego Demme
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #739: Jul 14, 2017 04:39:10 pm

He's a huge talent a proper box to box player who can run all day, dribbles well, can pass and scores goals.

He's not a DM as some seem to think. Hendo will not be losing his place.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #740: Jul 14, 2017 04:40:29 pm
      This is not about Keita but Leipzig more generally (and it's a bit dated as well), but I think it's an interesting read: http://spielverlagerung.com/2017/01/02/beyond-the-business-model-rb-leipzigs-football-philosophy/
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #741: Jul 14, 2017 04:41:45 pm
      Every time I watched him for Leipzig he was an all action type of midfielder, someone who can defend and get stuck in, but will constantly move forward as well, a proper box-to-box in many respects. Leipzig played some nice football to watch and he was a big part of it, along with my favourite Forsberg who's so damn cool on the ball.

People who've seen him at Salzburg say he also played as a defensive midfielder over there, but apparently they really started to get the best out of him when he was given freedom to attack a bit more. At Leipzig he usually played in a midfield that contained more defensive minded players such as Diego Demme

Do you think a 2 of Gini-Keita would work well behind Coutinho?  What about Keita-Lallana behind Coutinho?  On paper, the 2nd doesn't appear as balanced to me.   
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #742: Jul 14, 2017 04:43:02 pm
      I think Henderson was doing a fine job as a number 6 before his injury, but I am really concerned about his injury issues. It doesn't seem to be simply a matter of bad luck, but rather a chronic situation.

I'm far from convinced with Emre Can still, I find him an erratic and inconsistent player whose good performances are blown out of proportion.

Still, with the likes of Gini, Keita and Lallana also available, things are certainly looking good for our midfield. Really hoping this one will go through.

Concur! I think what Hamann recently is also valid. Keita blossomed with Demme next to him and had the freedom to go up and down. So I feel, we can get the best out of him if he is played as the #8, rather than a #6! And since we have actual, sexy, pure width for the first time in a long time, the front-6 could be something like

Firmino
      Salah-Keita-Cou-Mane
      Hendo

Gini, Lallana, Can, Grujic and may be Ox giving us depth, not necessarily on the same formation though! And that's what am looking forward to this season. We will not only have a quality squad depth (of course, assuming we sign Keita, VVD and a LB) but also can tinker our formation that suits our players' best strengths
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #743: Jul 14, 2017 04:47:28 pm
      This is not about Keita but Leipzig more generally (and it's a bit dated as well), but I think it's an interesting read: http://spielverlagerung.com/2017/01/02/beyond-the-business-model-rb-leipzigs-football-philosophy/

Looks a good read that. Will save it for later but just one the wider point about Red Bull Leipzig I know a lot in Germany and across Europe turn their noses up on this big corporate energy drinks company emblazoning the Bundesliga with their own football team but the ethos and philosophy of their football is one to be admired.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #744: Jul 14, 2017 04:53:36 pm
      Looks a good read that. Will save it for later but just one the wider point about Red Bull Leipzig I know a lot in Germany and across Europe turn their noses up on this big corporate energy drinks company emblazoning the Bundesliga with their own football team but the ethos and philosophy of their football is one to be admired.

It is, and while on the one hand I can see why fans of traditional clubs do not like the idea, on the other they're giving East Germany a proper football team like they haven't had in ages. As you say their philosophy is a very interesting one, they're giving many young players a chance (their average age is ridiculous for a team at that level) and it's not difficult to see why, despite accusations of being a "plastic" club or just a marketing tool, their stadium is always full.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #745: Jul 14, 2017 04:57:37 pm
      Do you think a 2 of Gini-Keita would work well behind Coutinho?  What about Keita-Lallana behind Coutinho?  On paper, the 2nd doesn't appear as balanced to me.   

Everything I've seen of Keita so far was accompanied by a more defensive midfielder (frequently Demme), so imagining he needs that to excel then it would depend on Gini's ability to play that role. I think it could work although I'm not 100% sure. A midfield trio of Keita, Lallana and Coutinho really look a bit too attacking and unbalanced. May be useful on occasions, after all I think Keita can do a job as DM if necessary, but if we're paying that much for a player then I expect us to try to get as much out of him as we possibly can, which means playing him mostly as a number 8.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #746: Jul 14, 2017 04:59:24 pm
      Concur! I think what Hamann recently is also valid. Keita blossomed with Demme next to him and had the freedom to go up and down. So I feel, we can get the best out of him if he is played as the #8, rather than a #6! And since we have actual, sexy, pure width for the first time in a long time, the front-6 could be something like

Firmino
      Salah-Keita-Cou-Mane
      Hendo

Gini, Lallana, Can, Grujic and may be Ox giving us depth, not necessarily on the same formation though! And that's what am looking forward to this season. We will not only have a quality squad depth (of course, assuming we sign Keita, VVD and a LB) but also can tinker our formation that suits our players' best strengths

No idea what formation we will play this coming season to be honest but I'd be very surprised if Lallana isn't a regular. Absolutely integral to the way we play and probably our most consistent player last season.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #747: Jul 14, 2017 05:05:31 pm
      No idea what formation we will play this coming season to be honest but I'd be very surprised if Lallana isn't a regular. Absolutely integral to the way we play and probably our most consistent player last season.

I agree. That front-6 was just an example. However, I wouldn't be very surprised if Jürgen kinda sways away from the concept of "regulars". With the intensity at which we play, and games coming thick and fast, the minutes played could be pretty even across the midfield and the attack.

All in all, really looking forward to August and what we have in store, considering our rivals pumping in crazy millions already!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #748: Jul 14, 2017 05:05:31 pm

Think it will have to be Hendo but he'll have to play more of a holding role. Keita always had cover from his DM. Can Hendo (or Can for that matter) be disciplined to play that role and not stroll forward too much?
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #749: Jul 14, 2017 05:14:05 pm
      Keita been left out of friendly squad for tonight.

Upset stomach apparently.

Interesting?
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #750: Jul 14, 2017 05:17:21 pm
      Is Keita really worth that much money? He's not proven, he doesn't know Klopp, he doesn't know the PL and he can't speak English, can he? While I would be willing to give VVD a king's ransom for he's in the PL already and knows how sh*t goes there, I am more reluctant with Keita.

I wonder why Klopp isn't hitting on Pulisic from Dortmund. Younger, knows English...I'd rather give Dortmund 80-100 Mio. € for Pulisic than for Keita.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #751: Jul 14, 2017 05:18:48 pm
      Think it will have to be Hendo but he'll have to play more of a holding role. Keita always had cover from his DM. Can Hendo (or Can for that matter) be disciplined to play that role and not stroll forward too much?

Don't know why they can't....never though of Henderson as one that lacked discipline.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #752: Jul 14, 2017 05:30:32 pm

Interesting?

Upset stomach eh!

Yeah I'm sure we have all used that one when we don't want to go in work  ;)

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #753: Jul 14, 2017 05:34:30 pm
      Is Keita really worth that much money? He's not proven, he doesn't know Klopp, he doesn't know the PL and he can't speak English, can he? While I would be willing to give VVD a king's ransom for he's in the PL already and knows how sh*t goes there, I am more reluctant with Keita.

I wonder why Klopp isn't hitting on Pulisic from Dortmund. Younger, knows English...I'd rather give Dortmund 80-100 Mio. € for Pulisic than for Keita.

'He doesn't know Klopp'

Well if we're buying players along those very extreme boundaries then about 99.9% of the market is out of bounds.

Give over pal.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #754: Jul 14, 2017 05:34:56 pm

Interesting?
      I guess he ate his Leipzig contract.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #755: Jul 14, 2017 05:45:40 pm
      'He doesn't know Klopp'

Well if we're buying players along those very extreme boundaries then about 99.9% of the market is out of bounds.

Give over pal.

Well, it's just one of many factors. For instance Klopp would know Aubameyang, so the risk of a bust would be lower. Remember: When Lewandoski left Dortmund, Klopp bought Immobile as substitution. One main thing that made him a bust was the language barrier, because he felt misunderstood and alone (of course there were other things too, he just turned out to be not good enough to fill Lewandowski's gap).

p.s. All RB fans hate and mock us, esp. our first low offer offended them. :)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #756: Jul 14, 2017 05:49:30 pm
      Some guy with a "source" has said a price had been agreed and will be announced in the next couple of days. It must be true then 👍
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #757: Jul 14, 2017 05:53:39 pm
      Some guy with a "source" has said a price had been agreed and will be announced in the next couple of days. It must be true then 👍

Yah it's making the rounds big time in the TAW subscribers group....but nothing from a credible source.

However hearing that and a stomach virus hitting ole Neiby at the same time as to miss RB's friendly tonight makes for a juicy story.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,989 posts | 240 
      Reply #758: Jul 14, 2017 05:54:41 pm

According to the president of the USA, the wisest of all men, when somebody says "source", it probably doesn't exist at all.  :couch:

Quick Reply