Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dominic Solanke (Liverpool > Bournemouth)

Read 64865 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Dominic Solanke Player Thread
      Reply #161: Oct 02, 2017 11:37:52 am
      I was thinking that when he put the head down for that chance.
      Something that used to be regularly done.
      Getting any type of a flick on to a ball in.

Totally - it’s like the modern footballer sees it as uncouth!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #162: Oct 02, 2017 01:43:00 pm
      The kid's got something and might be able to make himself a player. In all honesty though it's ridiculous that we are even considering him as being our main man up top at this stage of his development (I mean we as in the forum not Jürgen) and just shows how thin the squad is. The Mancs already had Rashford, Martial, a returning Ibrahamovic and still spent 80 million quid on Lukaku. Man City had Aguerro and still bought Gabriel Jesus, Chelsea had Batshuwhatsisface and still spend 65 million quid on Alvarro Morata (even Tammy Abraham who is at Swansea on loan is miles currently ahead of Solanke). Arsenal had Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck yet still spent 55 million quid on Lacazetti.

Unless we seriously look at giving the manager the tools for the job, we are always going to struggle.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #163: Oct 02, 2017 01:46:36 pm
      Tend to agree Racer.

Interestingly - I was watching him get ready to come on yesterday. His legs (calves) were like pipe cleaners compared to Bobby’s - and he’s not exactly Charles Atlas!

Easy to forget he is still a kid and got some growing to do.

So much potential and needs to get used to rhythm of top level football.

Kid has a lot of technical ability. He surprises me sometimes with how he's able to control and work the ball and keep possession in a crowd. Like you say, as he beefs up and gets used to the pace, I think he may turn into something special.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #164: Oct 02, 2017 02:04:19 pm
      The kid's got something and might be able to make himself a player. In all honesty though it's ridiculous that we are even considering him as being our main man up top at this stage of his development (I mean we as in the forum not Jürgen) and just shows how thin the squad is. The Mancs already had Rashford, Martial, a returning Ibrahamovic and still spent 80 million quid on Lukaku. Man City had Aguerro and still bought Gabriel Jesus, Chelsea had Batshuwhatsisface and still spend 65 million quid on Alvarro Morata (even Tammy Abraham who is at Swansea on loan is miles currently ahead of Solanke). Arsenal had Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck yet still spent 55 million quid on Lacazetti.

Unless we seriously look at giving the manager the tools for the job, we are always going to struggle.

If the squad had substantial investment in Striker and CB areas then we'd all be talking about something else.

It hasn't though.

Those two areas still need addressing and until they are Solanke looks more and more like a solid option up front.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #165: Oct 02, 2017 02:10:43 pm
      Kid has a lot of technical ability. He surprises me sometimes with how he's able to control and work the ball and keep possession in a crowd. Like you say, as he beefs up and gets used to the pace, I think he may turn into something special.

He's already stronger than Sturridge.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #166: Oct 02, 2017 02:46:07 pm
      He's already stronger than Sturridge.

Agree, and he's not afraid of sticking his neck out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #167: Oct 02, 2017 05:47:30 pm
      Solanke is looking more dangerous than Sturridge and Sturridge is losing his killing instinct (either he's tries to much or literally losing it)
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #168: Oct 05, 2017 03:13:47 pm
      Studg just looks shot most days. Mentally and physically really. Dom can come in and impact the game the way Daniel use to. I would like to see Klopp use Dom as his Bobby replacement over Daniel. He's fresher, faster, taller, and more confident (from my limited point of view anyway). He needs to learn, and if we aren't going to get results out of Daniel than we might as well put Dom in and let him be baptized by the fire. At least his non results will serve as learning curves.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #169: Oct 16, 2017 03:59:55 pm
      We've tried (to some extent) planB (Studge) and it hasn't really worked out.

How long before we give planC a try. Young, hopefully hungry.

Could he be a lot worse ? Imo he takes up good positions, but not so sure about his finishing. Haven't seen enough of him tho. Is a different option to Bob and Danny.

Completely pointless bringing him on with a few minutes left, not sure wtf Jürgen was at against Utd.  Thought he was good pre-season. But I guess Jürgen has some doubts or he'd be on.  Would like to give him a decent run soon (like maybe a first XI start) to see what he can do...

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #170: Oct 28, 2017 10:44:59 pm
      Very nice cameo today (tbh, he looks very good every time he comes on). There really is something about Solanke that I like. He is more in the mould of, Kane, isn't he? Can drop off and link play up, strong, quick, good in the air and if given a run of games, I bet he'd be banging them in!
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #171: Oct 28, 2017 11:35:03 pm
      I really Really like Dom. He has impressed me every time I watched him. Also agree with the Kane comparison.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #172: Oct 29, 2017 12:17:59 am
      Very nice cameo today (tbh, he looks very good every time he comes on). There really is something about Solanke that I like. He is more in the mould of, Kane, isn't he? Can drop off and link play up, strong, quick, good in the air and if given a run of games, I bet he'd be banging them in!

I agree, I don't want to get carried away but I've been hugely impressed with how he shields the ball, his movement and his awareness of where the goal is. I say that in relation to being with his back to goal or when he doesn't have a clear view.

Staggering to think he's only just turned 20 because to me he looks not too far off ready now. Give him 2 years and he could easily be our starting forward and I don't say that in an FSG wont buy anyone else way, I say it because I really think he could be special.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #173: Oct 29, 2017 12:45:47 am
      Wish he got more then a 10-15 minute cameo.

Think this lad has something special in him. Just needs to be given more minutes to prove it.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #174: Nov 14, 2017 10:37:52 pm
      Played well tonight in the international v Brazil.

Always looked dangerous and his first touch of the game I thought he was away.

The nutmeg was class.

Well done Dom.    C'mon Jürgen lets see him in on the pitch more.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #175: Dec 10, 2017 09:54:48 pm
      Liked him a lot today. Had a number of good touches in the box. In the end he will be judged on goals scored, I get it, but he is going to be a very good player for us.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #176: Dec 10, 2017 10:08:28 pm
      Took a step back today. Got in the way more than anything really. Not getting enough football IMO. Loan or U23s the best place for him right now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #177: Dec 10, 2017 10:21:39 pm
      Took a step back today. Got in the way more than anything really. Not getting enough football IMO. Loan or U23s the best place for him right now.

He wasn't brilliant today but he wasn't terrible. There were a couple of nice pieces of aerial play and link up play but he did seem to lack composure when he received the ball in the box - understandable for someone inexperienced.

It is somewhat hysterical to say he should be sent back to the U23s or worse a loan spell. What good will that do him? One average match for someone so young and inexperienced yet so talented and we've decided he's not good enough? No wonder the English football team is up the shi**er.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #178: Dec 10, 2017 10:25:27 pm
      I do like him but he deffo hesitates for that split second when shooting. You can never feel a goal coming from him, he needs one a plate to get the ball rolling.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #179: Dec 10, 2017 10:34:05 pm
      He wasn't brilliant today but he wasn't terrible. There were a couple of nice pieces of aerial play and link up play but he did seem to lack composure when he received the ball in the box - understandable for someone inexperienced.

It is somewhat hysterical to say he should be sent back to the U23s or worse a loan spell. What good will that do him? One average match for someone so young and inexperienced yet so talented and we've decided he's not good enough? No wonder the English football team is up the shi**er.

At his age he needs games. It's not an indictment of any football in any country. The lads getting nothing from warming our bench. He needs to play football and learn his movements in matches where defenders are hell bent on stopping him scoring rather than just messing about in the training ground matches.

Nothing to do with not being good enough, the lad just isn't playing enough and that will kill a career moreso than learning his craft.

I may be wrong but I think we'll see him loaned out next year anyway and that will have little to no impact either way on the state of the English game.

Worked for Harry Kane anyway.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #180: Dec 10, 2017 11:14:39 pm
      Thought he had a decent game overall for a young lad who's played a few games asked to lead the line in a derby. He's hold up play and aerial ability is exceptional and something that Benteke couldn't provide for us with his time here.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #181: Feb 20, 2018 10:15:49 am
      This lad needs a goal big time.

He’s going to get his chance Porto at home and he 100% has to take it.

Massive game for him. Huge.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #182: Feb 20, 2018 10:35:17 am
      This lad needs a goal big time.

He’s going to get his chance Porto at home and he 100% has to take it.

Massive game for him. Huge.

He’s 20 mate - if he plays it’s a big development experience / occasion for him.

Nothing more. Might help make him but certainly won’t break him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #183: Feb 20, 2018 12:34:58 pm
      He’s 20 mate - if he plays it’s a big development experience / occasion for him.

Nothing more. Might help make him but certainly won’t break him.

You can feel that anxiousness from him, even when he’s on the bench.

A goal will do him a world of good. That’s all I’m saying

Quick Reply