Trending Topics

      Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

      Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

      News Stories (June 2017)

      Read 2124 times
      0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      News Stories (June 2017)
      Jun 13, 2017 05:09:18 pm
      Otto Warmbier: North Korea releases jailed US student 'in coma'

      US student Otto Warmbier has been freed from jail in North Korea, but his parents say he has been in a coma for a year.
      The US secretary of state said the 22-year-old was on his way home to the US.
      The Warmbier family told US media they had found out only last week that their son has been in a coma since shortly after his trial in March 2016.
      Mr Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years of hard labour for attempting to steal a propaganda sign from a hotel.

      Otto Warmbier is an economics graduate from the University of Virginia, originally from Cincinnati, Ohio.
      He was in North Korea as a tourist with Young Pioneer Tours when he was arrested on 2 January 2016.
      He gave a televised confession a month later, in which he said he had tried to take the sign as a "trophy" for a US church, adding "the aim of my task was to harm the motivation and work ethic of the Korean people".
      It was not clear whether he had made the statement voluntarily, but foreign detainees in North Korea have previously recanted confessions, saying they were made under pressure.

      After a short trial on 16 March, Mr Warmbier was given a 15-year prison sentence for crimes against the state.
      His parents Fred and Cindy told CNN earlier this month that they had had no contact with their son for more than a year.
      They spoke out about their fears for his safety as tensions rose after North Korea carried out missile tests and US warships were deployed to the region.

      In a statement, Fred and Cindy said: "Otto has left North Korea. He is on a Medivac flight on his way home.
      "Sadly, he is in a coma and we have been told he has been in that condition since March 2016. We learned of this only one week ago."
      They were quoted by the Washington Post as saying they had been told Otto contracted botulism, a rare illness that causes paralysis, soon after his trial in March 2016.
      He was given a sleeping pill, and has been in a coma ever since, the newspaper said.

      Mr Warmbier's release comes hours after US basketball star Dennis Rodman arrived in North Korea, but it is not clear if the two events are linked.
      Mr Rodman is a friend of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and has made several visits to the country in recent years.

      He said upon his arrival this time that he was in the country as a private citizen, and "my purpose is to actually see if I can keep bringing sports to North Korea".
      Three other US citizens remain in custody in North Korea. They are 62-year-old Kim Dong-chul, a Korean-American missionary; Korean-American professor Kim Sang-duk (or Tony Kim); and Kim Hak-song, who worked at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST).
      US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, in his statement, said the US state department "continues to have discussions" with North Korea over the remaining three detainees.
      He said they would make no further comment on Mr Warmbier "out of respect for the privacy" of his family.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-40264468
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #1: Jun 13, 2017 05:11:02 pm
      Sandy Hook rage over Megyn Kelly's Alex Jones interview

      An interview by NBC's anchor Megyn Kelly with InfoWars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has angered families of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting.
      Finance giant JPMorgan Chase has pulled all of its adverts from NBC News until after the pre-recorded interview is aired on 18 June. And Sandy Hook Promise, an organisation formed to protect children from gun violence, announced that Ms Kelly would no longer host their annual fundraising gala on Wednesday.
      Some social media users have lambasted Ms Kelly for providing Jones with a national platform "to discuss controversies and conspiracies". Jones admits "some real kids" were killed at Sandy Hook but has helped push a theory that the Sandy Hook massacre was "synthetic, completely fake with actors".
      Twenty-six people, mostly young children, died in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. For years, families of the victims have been targeted by conspiracy theorists who falsely claim that the tragedy was staged by the government in an attempt to tighten gun control laws.

      Ms Kelly has defended the interview, saying US President Donald Trump gave "White House press credential" to Jones by appearing on and praising his show. But Jones has called for the interview's airing to be cancelled for "misrepresenting his views".
      The mother of Ana Grace Márquez-Greene - a six-year-old girl who was killed at Sandy Hook - tweeted the NBC host an image of her daughter: "Here you go @megynkelly - her name is Ana Grace Márquez-Greene. Say her name - stare at this & tell me it's worth it. @nbc #SandyHook"
      She also told The Washington Post that giving "Alex Jones a platform on Father's Day is especially cruel to me".
      "This piece of actual garbage encourages people to call my mom's death a hoax and harass other Sandy Hook families. Shame on you @megynkelly," added Cristina Hassinger - whose mother and principal of Sandy Hook, Dawn Hochsprung, was also killed.

      Others said the interview was akin to "defiling the memory" of the killed and would "help legitimise" Alex Jones.
      Chelsea Clinton said there was "no justification for amplifying lies" while actor Chris Evans added that human decency was being "trampled by the quest for ratings".
      New York mayor Bill Blasio also called on NBC to "pull the segment".

      And tens of thousands also used the Twitter hashtag #ShameOnNBC, rallying people to call the network and tell them not to air the interview. Some, including political commentator Ana Navarro, said they would not be watching the show in support of the victims.
      One Twitter account added as an alternative it would air the video about the "26 Sandy Hook Angels" who died. Ms Kelly left Fox News earlier this year to anchor her NBC show "Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly".

      In a video posted to his website in November 2016, Alex Jones said in his "final statement" on Sandy Hook: "There is some evidence that people died there... I don't know what the truth is, all I know is the official story of Sandy Hook has more holes in it than Swiss cheese."
      Jones has also helped push forward the theory that 9/11 was a "fable" and an "inside job" and other theories surrounding the Oklahoma City bombing as well as mass shootings in Orlando and Aurora, Colorado.
      However, he has retracted some of them when threatened with legal action, including his defamatory remarks about yogurt company Chobani, and has apologised for promoting the false Pizzagate theory.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40259209
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #2: Jun 13, 2017 05:12:48 pm
      'Jihadi Jack in jail' after leaving IS territory

      A 21-year-old man from Oxford, who travelled to the Islamic State-controlled area of Syria in 2014, has told the BBC he is now being held by Kurdish forces fighting the group.
      Jack Letts, dubbed "Jihadi Jack", is suspected of going to Syria to fight for so-called Islamic State.
      But he claims he is opposed to IS and has left their territory.
      Mr Letts spoke to BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford via text and voice messages.
      Speaking about leaving IS territory, Mr Letts said: "I found a smuggler and walked behind him through minefields."
      He said he and the smuggler "eventually made it near a Kurdish point where we were shot at twice and slept in a field".
      He said he is now in solitary confinement in a jail in Kurdish-held north-east Syria.

      Mr Letts converted to Islam while at Cherwell comprehensive school in Oxford.
      He travelled to Jordan, aged 18, in 2014, having dropped out of his A-levels. By the autumn of that year he was in IS-controlled territory in Syria.
      His family deny he went there to fight and instead say he was motivated by humanitarian reasons.
      He married in Iraq and now has a child.
      He told the BBC he had been injured in an explosion and had gone to Raqqa, the de facto capital of IS in Syria, to recuperate.
      He claimed he became disillusioned with the group about a year ago after it killed its former supporters.
      "I hate them more than the Americans hate them," he said.
      "I realised they were not upon the truth so they put me in prison three times and threatened to kill me."

      He claimed he had escaped from low-security detention and had been in hiding when he managed to find a people smuggler to take him out.
      His parents have pleaded not guilty to charges of funding terrorism after being accused of sending cash to their son.
      John Letts and Sally Lane told the BBC that, having not heard from their son for several weeks, they suddenly received a message saying he was in a safe zone.
      "It was the news we've been waiting for for three years - ever since he went out there - and now we just want to get him home," said Ms Lane.
      They believe their son is not being treated badly but are concerned about his mental health. Neither they or the BBC have heard from him since 1 June.
      Mr Letts' parents are calling on the British authorities to do "whatever they can" to help him.
      The government had told them that they could only help if he left IS territory but now he is out "no-one wants to take responsibility", said Ms Lane.

      Mr Letts, an organic farmer, acknowledges that his son "will have to account for his actions" once he returns to Britain, but the family is not convinced "he has done anything at all", from what he has told them.
      "If he has had anything to with IS I want nothing to do with him," said Mr Letts.
      "I think there has been so much misinformation, one little piece of information came out and it was manipulated, twisted, as far as I can see," said Ms Lane.
      The UK government advises against all travel to Syria and parts of Iraq and a number of people who returned from these areas have been prosecuted.
      In a statement, the Foreign Office said: "As all UK consular services are suspended in Syria and greatly limited in Iraq, it is extremely difficult to confirm the whereabouts and status of British nationals in these areas."
      Asked by the BBC why the UK government should help him, Jack said: "I don't want anyone to help me.
      "I'll just chill here in solitary confinement 'til someone decides it's easier to kill me."

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40119602
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • *****

      • 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #3: Jun 13, 2017 05:22:10 pm
      Good news, the world needs to focus more on this than spreading fear and hate.

      https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/06/01/14-billionaires-giving-pledge-bill-gates-warren-buffet/362275001/

      Richard Branson and Easyjet owner Stelios amongst 169 billionaires who have pledged to donate the majority of their wealth.
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2017 05:29:31 pm by LFCexiled »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******

      • 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #4: Jun 14, 2017 03:04:59 am
      Enormous fire at a tower block in London, hope everybody got out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #5: Jun 14, 2017 04:33:41 am
      Enormous fire at a tower block in London, hope everybody got out.

      Looks bad, hoping the same, hearing stories on different news channels of people being told by the fire service to text loved ones inside to wrap themselves in wet towels or blankets and self-evacuate and not wait for the fire brigade.
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 8,219 posts | 1173 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #6: Jun 14, 2017 06:57:31 am
      Looks absolutely horrific. Stories of people jumping, just hope everyone got out.

      First that spate of terror attacks and now this, emergency services must be really stretched at the moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #7: Jun 14, 2017 08:37:29 am
      Listening to the Chief Fire Officer speaking on the news who has said there have been fatalities.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******

      • 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #8: Jun 14, 2017 08:46:17 am
      Looking at that tower it seems the fire broke out on the lower floors..

      That's a serious fire & hope that fatalities are very minimum..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #9: Jun 14, 2017 08:56:02 am
      Looks like it had been a concern of residents.

      What price for peoples lives?

      https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • *****

      • 14,539 posts | 3144 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #10: Jun 14, 2017 09:08:08 am
      Truly horrific news from London. Hope, against hope, that many have escaped.😦
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #11: Jun 14, 2017 09:21:07 am
      Emergency services update in ten minutes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #12: Jun 14, 2017 09:42:35 am
      More than 50 taken to five hospitals in London.

      A structural engineer is monitoring the tower.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #13: Jun 14, 2017 09:48:56 am
      No fire alarms in the building apparently. (BBC Live TV).

      If true, corporate man slaughter, dreadful.

      Looking at the images, there seems to have been no fire compartments installed.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 26,322 posts | 2277 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #14: Jun 14, 2017 10:03:51 am
      Horrific news to wake up to.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #15: Jun 14, 2017 10:34:13 am
      Reports from last year that they were suffering power surges and then last night that a fridge exploded.

      How that turns into a rapid inferno in modern homes is another matter.
      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #16: Jun 14, 2017 10:40:25 am
      Reports from last year that they were suffering power surges and then last night that a fridge exploded.

      How that turns into a rapid inferno in modern homes is another matter.

      It's still burning!, guy on TV now saying there was only one fire escape, with no alarms.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #17: Jun 14, 2017 10:45:16 am
      It's still burning!, guy on TV now saying there was only one fire escape, with no alarms.

      Someone put a plan of the building on twitter showing exactly that there was only one fire escape. Also absolutely grim that there is no emergency sprinkler system either.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned
      • *****

      • 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #18: Jun 14, 2017 10:51:14 am
      Terrible.

      I couldn't even begin to imagine being trapped up there in that.

      RedPuppy
      • WASH YOUR HANDS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 17,902 posts | 2224 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #19: Jun 14, 2017 10:51:28 am
      Someone put a plan of the building on twitter showing exactly that there was only one fire escape. Also absolutely grim that there is no emergency sprinkler system either.

      It's crazy as it's just been refurbished.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #20: Jun 14, 2017 10:58:16 am
      It's crazy as it's just been refurbished.

      Yeah been done over the last two years by company called Rydon at a cost of £8.7 million!

      Can see them and the landlords (the local council) getting some serious sh*t over this. As you say further up corporate manslaughter charges should follow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #21: Jun 14, 2017 11:03:18 am
      Still trying to rescue people trapped. Horrific.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • ******
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #22: Jun 14, 2017 11:23:26 am
      The way the block ignited like a flare even with fire crews in attendance after 6 minutes does lead to questions about the materials used and actual structural specification of these tower blocks.

      When all said and done these projects should supposedly conform to rigorous safety standards to prevent horrors such as this; it does seem as though somewhere in the British Standard system there has been some side-stepping and bending of rules to accommodate the London housing boom. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******
      • Started Topic

      • 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #23: Jun 14, 2017 11:51:24 am
      Six confirmed dead so far. And Police saying death toll likely to rise. Grim!
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • ******

      • 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Re: News Stories (June 2017)
      Reply #24: Jun 14, 2017 12:22:13 pm

      Quick Reply