Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50248 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Jun 21, 2017 09:44:05 am
      I know some of you guys are set against changing captain, but from what I see when people post their first 11, Henderson isn't exactly on most peoples first 11. Gini and Can pops up more than Henderson and transfer window has not started yet.
      My own personal opinion on this is Rodgers made him captain at a time there were not many more suitable candidates around.
      Now there are a whole bunch of players that are more important to our side.
      If you can remember when when Gerrard was out, we noticed yet when Hendo was out it was hardly a big problem.
      I think it is unfair for the fans and other players to stick with Henderson as skipper if he is not the best option.
      I would have liked to add a poll for this, but I could not see the option.
      Personally I would change captain, especially since we are to strengthen our squad and could solidify Henderson as a squad player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #1: Jun 21, 2017 11:00:50 am
      Henderson is the Captain for me, end of.

Poll added as requested.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #2: Jun 21, 2017 11:14:19 am
      Personally I would leave it till the transfer window and the pre season is over.
      If as Jürgen says it's all about teamwork and the team ,I'd let the players call it not saying we should change our captain but you gotta be playing every week.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Jun 21, 2017 11:36:40 am
      Personally I'd be looking at someone else. Never sat right with me Hendo being made captain if I'm honest, he's a decent player but I don't see him as captain material. Especially when he is getting like Sturridge and gametime massively decreasing, what's the point in someone being captain if they rarely play nowadays?

I haven't had the chance to look so I could be wrong here but over the last 2 seasons I wouldn't be surprised if Milner has captained the side a lot more than what Hendo has.

But looking at the side, it's also hard to pin point a real leader still. There's no Gerrard, Carra, Agger, Hyypia or Pepe. Personally if we were to change captain, I'd be leaning towards Coutinho. He's the name that instantly stands out as the most suitable IMO. He might not be the most vocal but then, neither was Gerrard. But like Gerrard, the team look at him as our main man, the man who will push us on to getting the points.

Though, if Hendo does stay captain I won't exactly be kicking up a fuss over it, but surely a captain has to be first name on the team sheet and playing regularly? Hendo is neither.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #4: Jun 21, 2017 01:16:57 pm
      Only other player worth it is Lucas, who won't be here next season so Hendo it is for me.

YNWA
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #5: Jun 21, 2017 01:57:29 pm
      Could never see why Henderson was chosen as Captain... Can for me
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #6: Jun 21, 2017 02:23:06 pm
      New Captain - For now Adam Lallana for me
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #7: Jun 21, 2017 02:51:24 pm
      I don't mind Hendo as Captain now...think he's grown into it, but he's never on the pitch anymore. Is he going to be healthy or constsantly battling injury?

I would pick Lallana personally. I feel like he works harder than any other player so he leads by example and he's got a bit of edge to him when needed. Also, wasn't he Captain at Southampton?

I'd give a shout for Coutinho, but one of the things the Captain needs to do is communicate with the officials and without  English being his strong language, that would be a bit of a struggle for Phil.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Jun 21, 2017 02:53:00 pm
      I wonder if giving Lovren the arm band would improve and take him to the next level? ;)

Anyway, I still have faith in Hendo, and I am optimistic w'll see him pkay at least, 30 PL games this season! Still captain for me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Jun 21, 2017 03:00:12 pm
      Personally I would change captain
      Who have you in mind Riba? 🤔

If Jürgen decides to change the captain, it's going to be for Milner surely?

Me? As things stand I can't see anyone else being worth consideration - Matip maybe?

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2017 03:08:49 pm by bad boy bubby »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Jun 21, 2017 03:22:29 pm
      we need a new captain, I'd go for Can or Matip, they both seem like leaders. I really don't wan to see Henderson starting to many games next season even when fit, i think we have better options to chose form in midfield although he is useful in the squad.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jun 21, 2017 03:42:27 pm
      co-captains?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #12: Jun 21, 2017 03:51:59 pm
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Jun 21, 2017 04:04:46 pm
      Who have you in mind Riba? 🤔

If Jürgen decides to change the captain, it's going to be for Milner surely?

Me? As things stand I can't see anyone else being worth consideration - Matip maybe?
      Milner has done well as captain whilst Hendo has been injured, he is 31 and could be captain for a couple of seasons, but looking to the future Coutinho has shone out since we got him and as long as he is still here at the end of the window, which I really think he will be, then he is another choice for me. He captained Brazil so there is no reason he can't be captain here. We have a couple of candidates. Maybe Milner captain and Coutinho vice captain for now. We do have to consider whoever is captain needs to have a high probability of making our first 11.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Jun 21, 2017 04:25:22 pm

a captain committee...
       ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #15: Jun 21, 2017 04:30:59 pm

Worked well for Evans & Houllier :)

Hendo stays captain.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #16: Jun 21, 2017 04:36:05 pm
      Worked well for Evans & Houllier :)

Hendo stays captain.

I don't think it did, did it?

In 1998 Liverpool's longstanding Boot Room coach Ronnie Moran retired and was set to be replaced by Gerrard Houllier for the 1998–99 season onwards. In fact it was decided that Houllier would become joint manager of Liverpool to work alongside Evans, but the arrangement was not a success and Evans resigned in November to leave Houllier in sole charge.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Evans
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #17: Jun 21, 2017 04:38:10 pm
      I don't think it did, did it?

In 1998 Liverpool's longstanding Boot Room coach Ronnie Moran retired and was set to be replaced by Gerrard Houllier for the 1998–99 season onwards. In fact it was decided that Houllier would become joint manager of Liverpool to work alongside Evans, but the arrangement was not a success and Evans resigned in November to leave Houllier in sole charge.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Evans

I know RP, I was trying to be sarcastic.I should have used the following  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #18: Jun 21, 2017 04:45:46 pm
      Henderson is the Captain for me, end of.

Poll added as requested.

Likewise and if fully fit he starts in midfield for me as well.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Jun 21, 2017 04:50:58 pm

Which one is the religious nutcase ?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #20: Jun 21, 2017 04:58:51 pm
      I know RP, I was trying to be sarcastic.I should have used the following  :f_tongueincheek:

Ahh, got you.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #21: Jun 21, 2017 05:33:55 pm
      With regards Henderson:

Don't think he's a certain starter, especially if we're after another central midfielder such as Keita.

Don't think he has a strong enough presence.

Don't think he has the self-belief to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Don't think he has inspirational qualities when out on the pitch.

Injured far too regularly now also.

For me, I'd be looking at Can to take the armband but his contract situation makes that a worry and again you could argue he might not get in the team if we buy another top quality midfielder. Milner is the 'safe' option, but again he's too nice to be captain in my opinion. You have to impose a bit of your will not only on your team-mates but also on the referee, the likes of a Gerrard/Keane/Viera would play in the mind of a ref, not fear but a level of respect their characteristics demand and I just don't feel either Jimmy or Hendo have that weight of character, far too easily fobbed off.

Can't agree with those suggesting Coutinho, he's not vocal enough, he allows his mood to dip too easily when we're struggling and becomes quite insular. Matip is a reasonable shout but I'm not sure what his English skills are like but much more like the stature required.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #22: Jun 21, 2017 05:36:52 pm
      There's only one future captain.

Quick Reply