Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50222 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #115: Aug 03, 2017 12:51:52 pm
      His passes were to players about 10 feet away, what do you expect? It's like Borini's movement argument allover again.

Another myth:

http://www.squawka.com/news/jordan-henderson-boasts-the-greatest-long-ball-range-in-the-premier-league-this-season/863722#wFJQIdXRAJ1xUF9K.97

Henderson's long ball distribution is fantastic. He may choose the short option mostly, but so does every player.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #116: Aug 03, 2017 12:59:38 pm
      Even if that is true, 4 assists and he made 100+ longballs? Where did these longballs end up? Henderson feels like a defender trying to be a midfielder to me.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 01:07:24 pm by Ribapuru »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #117: Aug 03, 2017 01:30:33 pm
      Even if that is true, 4 assists and he made 100+ longballs? Where did these longballs end up? Henderson feels like a defender trying to be a midfielder to me.

I am not Henderson's biggest fan but he can play a hell of a long ball and it is very effective in stretching the opposition,

With Salah and Mane now here those passes are going to be more effective than ever.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #118: Aug 03, 2017 01:33:14 pm
      I am not Henderson's biggest fan but he can play a hell of a long ball and it is very effective in stretching the opposition,

With Salah and Mane now here those passes are going to be more effective than ever.
      As predictable as it was getting in pre season, rather have a nice through ball from Coutinho. Cout + Gini in the middle for me. Sorry Hendo.. full!
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #119: Aug 03, 2017 01:43:29 pm

I'm pretty sure most of the long balls are to stretch the play. You don't get an awful lot of players in todays game making assists from the half way line week in and week out. The long balls have been to wide players to get the attack started, not to finish it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #120: Aug 03, 2017 04:56:42 pm
      No idea who normally played, but we cannot speak in hypotheticals, from the mix we have, he's the best at his position and in my opinion up there with the best in the PL at that deep lying playmaker role. His defensive work is constantly underrated and unrecognised. Since you do watch us play, next time you do, go out of your way to see how many times Henderson gets beaten or dribbled past and I am confident in saying it'll be at most 1 time in 90 minutes. Also watch out for him giving the 'go' call for pressing with the other 2 in midfield. He sits deep and often is the one to instigate the second wave of pressing from midfield. It's all there in front of us, but people just don't see it.

This move from a box to box midfielder to a more regista role, hunting down the ball and controlling the game has confused many of our fans I think. His job is to get the ball back and play it on. His stats showed that when he was playing this season he was the best in the league at winning the ball via tackle or interception and he also was the man with the highest pass count and best accuracy. He follows Klopp's role for him to a tee and is a vital, vital cog as the stats show.

Like I said, I encourage all watching the next game, pay attention to Henderson. Watch him direct, watch how many times he wins the ball back and also how many times he loses it. (Now I bet he'll have a stinker next game :D)

I do watch Henderson, as I do all of our players, I said that he is good at closing down and pressing and harassing the opposition but we need more than that, we need a player who doesn't constantly pass the ball backwards and to the side. Next time you watch him why don't you take a look at how seldom he kicks a ball forwards, would you not class that as a requirement for a play maker, deep lying or not?
      Amongst the top midfielder in the league, do me a favour, please!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #121: Aug 03, 2017 04:58:41 pm
      I'm pretty sure most of the long balls are to stretch the play. You don't get an awful lot of players in todays game making assists from the half way line week in and week out. The long balls have been to wide players to get the attack started, not to finish it.

So is there anyone in the world you would play ahead of Henderson or is he the ultimate midfielder in your lovely rose tinted world?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #122: Aug 03, 2017 05:48:58 pm
      So is there anyone in the world you would play ahead of Henderson or is he the ultimate midfielder in your lovely rose tinted world?

Firstly, from your last post you contradict yourself saying you watch Henderson and yet you were unaware of his long passing, he does it all the time. I've seen comments on Henderson go from 'He can't find a teammate' to 'He plays too safe' what do you want him to do?

Never said that once. There are quite a few players better in that position than Henderson however none of them are in our team.

From Premier League teams I'd only have Kante ahead of him for what he does.

What exactly do you want to see from him? More goals? He's a defensive midfielder? More assists? Despite missing half the season last year he still had more assists than Can, Milner and Clyne.

His role in the team is to keep the ball. Last year he was tackled only 11 times, he made the most passes per game at the highest accuracy, he made more key passes per game than Adam Lallana for example. Only Coutinho and Firmino are ahead in terms of key passes per game last season.

Once again, I'm not saying he's the best in the world... But if you're going to critique Henderson, you better have your facts straight because I think there are too many people on here who painted him as rubbish under Kenny (because Kenny played him out of position) and are too stubborn to admit fault. I keep saying it, just watch him specifically in a game next time and eventually you'll start to appreciate his play more.

Sorry I've gone into a ramble, I do hope this makes some sense.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #123: Aug 03, 2017 06:27:24 pm
      I despair, I really do.

If this is what the "modern fan" brings to the club, they can F**k off.

No idea, no knowledge, no passion except for slagging off our own.

Henderson; one of the best midfielders in the league.
      End of F***ing story.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #124: Aug 03, 2017 06:36:29 pm
      Even if that is true, 4 assists and he made 100+ longballs? Where did these longballs end up?

:roll: because deep lying midfielders playing long balls usually get a hell of a lot more than 4 assists, is that so? Xabi Alonso had 2.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #125: Aug 03, 2017 07:18:30 pm
      What's with the Hendo bashing ?

pisses me right off how some so called fans persist in having constant digs at players they don't like,

What kind of supporter are you ?

We can all be critical to even our best players if they have a off day and most will have a off day their only human !

If you support a team of footballers you support the whole team in it's entirety, not pick and choose who you like or not,

Get this......IT'S A TEAM GAME so support the F***ing TEAM ,

We're all guilty of bashing Bertie of late myself included but when he played I always wanted him to do well, and if he didn't I'd swear a few times call him a kunt etc etc but would still give him my support because he's part of our club,

I would expect my fellow brethren to give the same support, cos otherwise if you didn't then your not a supporter, not in the true sense of the word , be critical by all means but continually harangueing players is bring disrespectful and not healthy for our very young supporters.

YNWA
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 2805 
      Reply #126: Aug 03, 2017 07:20:22 pm
      I can't believe that this latest wave of criticism towards Hendo has come on the back of a missed penalty in a F***ing friendly.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #127: Aug 03, 2017 07:28:25 pm
      I can't believe that this latest wave of criticism towards Hendo has come on the back of a missed penalty in a f**king friendly.

To be fair, he was pretty poor before the penalty miss. I do see your point though.

For me, I still don't really know what he brings to the team that we don't have when he isn't playing. Seems as though he does all the posturing of a captain but doesn't actually play like one. Don't know who we can pair him with either because he plays with Can and they are shocking, he plays with Gini and they are both shocking. Yet play without him and they are much better.
      There's a role for Hendo in the team for sure, but it's not captain and it's not being anything more than a squad player. IMO like.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #128: Aug 03, 2017 07:29:14 pm
      He is not a deep lying midfielder.

Hahaha. Why do I bother?

So Henderson was not a deep lying midfielder last season? Ok then, I give up.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #129: Aug 03, 2017 07:29:46 pm
      I can't believe that this latest wave of criticism towards Hendo has come on the back of a missed penalty in a f**king friendly.
      That is not what is happening here. Around half of our fans don't rate him, the other half do.. there is no middle ground here. It is marmite okay? This missed penalty just brought the non raters out again.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #130: Aug 03, 2017 07:33:21 pm
      Hahaha. Why do I bother?

So Henderson was not a deep lying midfielder last season? Ok then, I give up.
      He played there 2nd half of last season. He spent most his career as a central midfielder. He didn't look to be playing there in the warm ups. I suspect he wants Can there as first choice. How can Henderson be 2nd choice in any role as a captain? Saying Hendo is a deep lying midfielder is like calling Lucas a centre back or Milner a left back. We just made do with what we had. I believe Hendo started there when Emre had a spell out injured.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 07:41:42 pm by Ribapuru »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #131: Aug 03, 2017 07:49:50 pm
      He played there 2nd half of last season. He spent most his career as a central midfielder. He didn't look to be playing there in the warm ups. I suspect he wants Can there as first choice. How can Henderson be 2nd choice in any role as a captain? Saying Hendo is a deep lying midfielder is like calling Lucas a centre back or Milner a left back. We just made do with what we had. I believe Hendo started there when Emre had a spell out injured.

Klopp moved him there at the beginning of the season; because that is where he wanted him from now on. Jordan's interview with TAW said that it was that the manager came to him at the end of the 15/16 season and told him that was going to be his new position.

Hendo barely played at all in the 2nd half of last season; so not sure where your getting your info.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #132: Aug 03, 2017 07:50:50 pm
      He played there 2nd half of last season.

He barely played in the 2nd half of last season! He was our deepest midfielder the whole time he was on the pitch last season, from the start - as most people have been referring to it these days, as a "number 6". I have no idea what you're talking about.

And I was discussing the 4 assists he made last season, so where he played before does not come into the question. The fact is that 4 assists, for a deep lying midfielder, is actually pretty good, despite your attempt to make it sound like it isn't - which was my whole point.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #133: Aug 03, 2017 07:59:47 pm
      Klopp moved him there at the beginning of the season; because that is where he wanted him from now on. Jordan's interview with TAW said that it was that the manager came to him at the end of the 15/16 season and told him that was going to be his new position.

Hendo barely played at all in the 2nd half of last season; so not sure where your getting your info.

Indeed. Riba lives in a world of his own. I hope stuff make sense to him in that lunatic world, because in ours they don't.

Henderson was our defensive midfielder from the very first fixture, away at Arsenal in a midfield composed by himself, Wijnaldum and Lallana. Emre Can started the season on the bench.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #134: Aug 03, 2017 08:08:48 pm
      Indeed. Riba lives in a world of his own. I hope stuff make sense to him in that lunatic world, because in ours they don't.

Henderson was our defensive midfielder from the very first fixture, away at Arsenal in a midfield composed by himself, Wijnaldum and Lallana. Emre Can started the season on the bench.

Listening to Jordan's interview Klopp basically told him "your done moving around; your the #6 and that is where you will stay and I will teach you to do what I need you to do in our system"

Hendo said it was difficult at first and the manager told him not to worry about what other's think you should do just do what I want you to do and forget about everything else.

He has the tools to play that role....he allows the full-back to push forward as he drops in with the CB's to cover. He will pass sideways  and back because that is what the manager want's him to do until something is there for him to unlock.

What he does best is set the intensity and the turnover....it is easy to see we are a second or two slower when Can or Lucas is playing there...Jordon turns up the tempo when there is something there and preserves ball control when there is nothing.

People complain well he is not doing this or he is not doing that....well that's because that is his managers instructions and he is doing exactly what the manager want's him to do.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #135: Aug 03, 2017 08:20:15 pm
      We're all guilty of bashing Bertie of late myself included but when he played I always wanted him to do well, and if he didn't I'd swear a few times call him a kunt etc etc but would still give him my support because he's part of our club,

I would expect my fellow brethren to give the same support, cos otherwise if you didn't then your not a supporter, not in the true sense of the word , be critical by all means but continually harangueing players is bring disrespectful and not healthy for our very young supporters.

Exactly Billy, we're all guilty of it, either privately or publicly we hold opinions about players. Is it so wrong for those opinions to be vocalised?

You see if we followed the mantra of 'only say good things' about people approach then in reality we'd all be sat in here saying "well done", "I agree, the lad did well". The forum is far more interesting when opinions clash, it brings about real debates and real insight from both sides. I'd much prefer to read why someone doesn't rate Henderson and then rip his argument to shreds if I could, but in reality they can't.

Even more when it's a live match are those frustrations and irritations going to bubble to the surface because it's raw and in the moment.

My opinion of Henderson has fluctuated from the below average to the above average for as long as he's been here. He's had false dawns, even last season there were a couple of performances even Gerrard would be proud of but then there were others that deserved the criticism he got. When he was playing like Gerrard I gave him the praise he earned, when he plays like a man hiding from any semblance of responsibility then he gets stick from me. Surely being even handed with praise and criticism is the right approach rather than having to toe the party line that every player must receive praise no matter how sh*te they play? Just doesn't wash with me mate, doesn't make you any less of a supporter if among a bunch of LFC fans you say what you think.

Now the difference comes when a Manc supporter or Blueshite comes along and slags off a player, that's when I feel it's your duty to defend him to the best of your ability. That's when it's "praise one, praise all".
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #136: Aug 03, 2017 08:25:25 pm
      Exactly Billy, we're all guilty of it, either privately or publicly we hold opinions about players. Is it so wrong for those opinions to be vocalised?

You see if we followed the mantra of 'only say good things' about people approach then in reality we'd all be sat in here saying "well done", "I agree, the lad did well". The forum is far more interesting when opinions clash, it brings about real debates and real insight from both sides. I'd much prefer to read why someone doesn't rate Henderson and then rip his argument to shreds if I could, but in reality they can't.

Even more when it's a live match are those frustrations and irritations going to bubble to the surface because it's raw and in the moment.

My opinion of Henderson has fluctuated from the below average to the above average for as long as he's been here. He's had false dawns, even last season there were a couple of performances even Gerrard would be proud of but then there were others that deserved the criticism he got. When he was playing like Gerrard I gave him the praise he earned, when he plays like a man hiding from any semblance of responsibility then he gets stick from me. Surely being even handed with praise and criticism is the right approach rather than having to toe the party line that every player must receive praise no matter how sh*te they play? Just doesn't wash with me mate, doesn't make you any less of a supporter if among a bunch of LFC fans you say what you think.

Now the difference comes when a Manc supporter or Blueshite comes along and slags off a player, that's when I feel it's your duty to defend him to the best of your ability. That's when it's "praise one, praise all".

Dead right.

What do people think this forum is? F***ing RAWK?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1644 
      • YNWA
      Reply #137: Aug 03, 2017 08:43:59 pm
      I didn't see the peno miss, or the game, or any of the competition tbh.
      Wonder if he slotted the peno, does this thread rear it's head.

I'd fully expect Hendo to be captain again next season.
      He's shown he's an able captain.
      Don't see anyone at the club right now I could say should be captain ahead of him.

One thing would say is that some players don't play as well when made captain. Some raise their game. Reckon since SG moved on, Hendo has grown and become a better and more influencial player.  Unfortunately tho, he's been plagued with injury, so his performances have suffered a bit, but even still he's pushed himself hard and I've no complaints in that regard (take note Studge)

Quick Reply