Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 49757 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #230: Sep 11, 2017 01:22:07 pm
      I'd have Mane or Matip as captain, at a push Firmino.

Basically anyone but Hendo. I agree that he is good defensively but you need more from a playmaker, he should have many more assists when he has Mane Firminio and Salah in front of him and he should also be better at shooting and scoring goals.

In my mind he's a squad player, nothing more.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #231: Sep 11, 2017 02:36:00 pm
      I'd have Mane or Matip as captain, at a push Firmino.

Basically anyone but Hendo. I agree that he is good defensively but you need more from a playmaker, he should have many more assists when he has Mane Firminio and Salah in front of him and he should also be better at shooting and scoring goals.

In my mind he's a squad player, nothing more.

In your mind.

In reality he is a regular starter and club captain.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #232: Sep 11, 2017 03:13:48 pm
      In your mind.

In reality he is a regular starter and club captain.

I am still tenuously aware of reality thanks ;-)

In all seriousness how many other top 6 teams would Henderson have a spot in?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #233: Sep 11, 2017 04:05:36 pm
      Oh please if he would be the top player that you are suggesting he is there would not be so much discussion around him and even a thread debating if he deserves to be captain..do you see any discussion doubting their quality around Modric Kante or Alli for example ? no because everyone and their mother knows they are quality and you can't debate that; he also wouldn't be needing 10 page articles from club based sites every three fcking months praising how much he ran and demanding that fans 'get on board' and like him.

The difference is that they never had a poor patch such as Henderson did at the start of his career. People have never got over that because they said he'd never make it and can't swallow some humble pie and admit they were wrong. Then he was made captain and had to follow Gerrard, which was always going to be hard. So a mixture of people wanting to be 'right all along' and people wanting him to be Steven Gerrard has created this toxic atmosphere around him.

I don't expect it will change, he's certainly won some people over however I expect a silent period from the boo boys soon where they don't admit he's playing well. They'll soon show their heads after a poor game or an injury and deny the weeks and months of good form, putting it down to 'stats don't prove anything' or some bullshit like that.

It's the same every season.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #234: Sep 11, 2017 05:13:29 pm
      I'd go for Lallana. (when he's fit) He held that position  for a time at Southampton.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #235: Sep 11, 2017 07:12:29 pm
      Never agreed with Hendo being captain and have said in the past I think he needs to be replaced. That said, having seen us against Watford and City this season, it won't make no difference because nobody can display any leadership skills when the game is going against us.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #236: Sep 11, 2017 07:33:04 pm
      We still having this debate?

Some of the alternative names suggested are laughable. 

Saturday was a perfect storm for us. 

International break (we seem to struggle 1st game back)
      Mane red card (knocked the stuffing out of the players and seemed unbelievable at the time)
      Players' thoughts affected by a supposedly seriously-injured opponent (Man City players knew he was fine, I reckon, at least at half-time)
      Weak full back situation exploited by an intelligent and tactically-adaptable opponent with good wing-play
      Lack of solidity in our midfield after the sending -off, not addressed by JK, led to our 3 being overrun
      Lack of Dejan at CB after a reasonably-improved recent partnership with Matip
      TAA at full back for once having to cope with traditional full-back defending - and struggling - as he does
      Klavan having a bad game and making a series of slips and mistakes, positionally (I couldn't believe DL was benched)
      A substandard referee who doesn't use common sense and is apparently easily swayed by a home crowd and simple gamesmanship
      Salah's propensity for messing up his final ball costing us at least two great first half chances
      Wijnaldum, Hendo and Can having a poor game all round
      A general sense of not knowing what the hell to do when we go down to 10 men (carried on trying to commit to attack rather than absorb)
      Bobby having one of his all too-frequent poor games
      Lack of other individuals with the mental strength to cope with a setback (Hendo was herding cats at times)

And of course it's all Jordan Henderson's fault!

Default: In the absence of Dejan, blame Henderson.  If he does ok, blame Simon.  We'll let Bertie Moreno off the hook because JK rates him now.  Apparently.

Just don't criticise the boss or the thought police will come after you.

Jordan is the captain.  He had a bad game.  Jürgen is the manager.  He had a bad game too.

But he was right to say it would be a mistake to get too down about this defeat.  So lets not.

We go again.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #237: Sep 12, 2017 11:00:55 pm
      I don't see anyone else in the current squad better able to take the captain's armband right now.

We do lack leaders which was very evident in yesterdays game.

Hendo is as good as we've got right now.

When Stevie and Carra retired we lost two fighters and our DNA.

When Mascher was sold we ripped the heart out of the defence.

No defence , no leaders , no fighters no glory.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #238: Sep 13, 2017 09:44:11 pm
      Henderson captain  .... if only people could see who voted no to a new captain....
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017 09:52:57 pm by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #239: Sep 13, 2017 10:00:55 pm
      Henderson captain  .... if only people could see who voted no to a new captain....

Me
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #240: Sep 13, 2017 10:39:29 pm

I'm sure the people who voted yes are embarrassed they agree with you
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #241: Sep 14, 2017 09:53:26 am
      Yes.

He doesn't motivate the players enough. He doesn't lead by example.

His basically sh*t and i have had enough of deluding myself that he may be a half decent player.

The captaincy is the only thing keeping him in our first team.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #242: Sep 14, 2017 10:26:03 am
      there are no captain candidates in our team.

I would of considered phil before his transfer request

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #243: Sep 14, 2017 10:27:55 am
      there are no captain candidates in our team.

I would of considered phil before his transfer request

I would seriously consider Lallana if he got back into playing first team football.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #244: Sep 14, 2017 10:43:43 am
      I would seriously consider Lallana if he got back into playing first team football.
      Me too, Lallana is hard working and very vocal. Henderson is just always scared, it is why he is so awful at football in big games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEUkBcBkfaM

Just look at Henderson here, scared ****less to do anything until every other red was there.
      Hendo last man to arrive.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017 10:58:54 am by Ribapuru »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #245: Sep 14, 2017 11:04:09 am
      Me too, Lallana is hard working and very vocal. Henderson is just always scared, it is why he is so awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEUkBcBkfaM

Just look at Henderson here, scared ****less to do anything until every other red was there.
      Hendo last man to arrive.

Lallana - hard working and vocal. Two words you could aptly use to describe Henderson.

If you're questioning Henderson because you think he's a coward you are just as much of an idiot as some people seem to think you are.

By all means question his footballing ability - which I'm happy to do - but he's not a coward. By your reckoning Emre Can is Souness reincarnated because he bear hugs Yaya during some handbags, yet if that's the case why did he pussy out of a tackle before Sevillas first goal last night?
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #246: Sep 14, 2017 11:27:01 am
      Yes Hendo is never captain material...
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #247: Sep 14, 2017 11:31:07 am
      Make Migs captain. He'll come out shouting and commanding his box. If he can't even do that he deserves to be replaced. Apply that to Lovern too.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #248: Sep 14, 2017 11:31:45 am
      Lallana - hard working and vocal. Two words you could aptly use to describe Henderson.

If you're questioning Henderson because you think he's a coward you are just as much of an idiot as some people seem to think you are.

By all means question his footballing ability - which I'm happy to do - but he's not a coward. By your reckoning Emre Can is Souness reincarnated because he bear hugs Yaya during some handbags, yet if that's the case why did he pussy out of a tackle before Sevillas first goal last night?

Souness in his heyday would murder our midfield on his own!!

Got to agree with wellbuilt when he says there are no leaders in this team. When the chips are really down a lot of this team go missing.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #249: Sep 14, 2017 11:50:34 am

Lallana would be my choice too, somebody with a bit of bite.

Did somebody up there ^^^ really say Henderson is not a coward? Wow. Don't know what you've been watching for the last how many years but Jordan Henderson is, exactly that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #250: Sep 14, 2017 12:22:24 pm
      Lallana would be my choice too, somebody with a bit of bite.

Did somebody up there ^^^ really say Henderson is not a coward? Wow. Don't know what you've been watching for the last how many years but Jordan Henderson is, exactly that.

Give him a break, he once got in Diego Costa's face!! :lmao:

redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #251: Sep 14, 2017 12:24:59 pm
      Give him a break, he once got in Diego Costa's face!! :lmao:

:D

Even Atkinson seems to be amused by that.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #252: Sep 14, 2017 01:32:16 pm
      Yes im gonna hold my hands up and admit ive got this wrong, its true we DON'T have a true leader, one who sets a example and can grab us by the throat when needed,

I'll be honest i don't think Henderson is going to be here once Naby and others arrive, hell be pushed down the pecking order, Milner similar not enough of a Bawbag and like Hendo his days are numbered,

Until Gomez or TAA are experienced enough id be inclined to make Can our leader unless someone like VvD arrives in the very near future,

As nice a lad as Hendo is, being nice isnt good enough and we need someone who doesn't do nice ?

YNWA

Quick Reply