Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50352 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #437: Oct 30, 2017 04:40:59 pm
      If you go to anfield and see somebody back out of a challenge for example you would hear the term shithouse mumbled around the ground.

Even something smaller like bottling a pass forwards when somebody makes a run and you'll hear it.

It's not a term I'd find offensive personally. Its just calling him a wimp with no bottle.

I get it.

Obviously one we disagree on re the individual but I get it.

Shitebag would be the regional variation up here.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #438: Oct 30, 2017 04:47:25 pm
      What are the attributes of these "leadership skills" that keep being talked about?

Instead, why don't you tell us what makes Henderson a good captain?

Should be an interesting read.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #439: Oct 30, 2017 05:17:02 pm
      Captaincy is a formality. What is really important is having leaders all across the pitch - a piece of elastic around someone's arm hardly changes anything. Some of the biggest leaders at extremely successful clubs never wore the armband (at least not on a regular basis) - I'm talking people like Gennaro Gattuso.

So the focus on Hendo's supposed lack of leadership skills just because he was the one chosen by Rodgers to wear the armband, a post which he was told to keep under Klopp, baffles me given the lack of leaders we have all across the pitch. The irony is that it comes from people who often seem to take any other type of criticism of Klopp as calling for his head, without realising they're also questioning the manager's judgement.

Then you end up getting the most ridiculous calls such as Sakho, a player with a history of unprofessionalism that would soon be ostracised by the manager, being the "real captain" of the squad, or that the mentally frail Dejan Lovren was nailed on to be the next captain, or even that the lazy, brutally overestimated Emre Can was captain material, just because he fits the stereotype of "midfield dynamo", someone who takes games "by the scruff of the neck" (this hope has now been transferred to Naby Keita before he even kicked a ball for us).

Anyway, let us consider the rest of our squad then.

Mignolet or Karius. Ha, right. Wouldn't captain Liverpool U23 if they played for them, no leadership whatsoever.
      Matip: hardly an organiser of the defence, not a very vocal presence either. Lovren: emotionally weak, lacks concentration, hopefully on borrowed time at the club.
      TAA: far too young, needs guidance not a burden. Moreno: hahaha.
      Emre Can: lazy, self-centered - not even committed to the club in the long term. Wijnaldum: not a vocal presence, found missing in most away games.
      Sadio Mané: a talented hard-working player but hardly shows much leadership on the pitch; seems pretty shy and I find it hard to imagine him being chosen as a players representative (in the event of an election, as a few clubs do).
      Philippe Coutinho: not a player I'd pick as captain myself. His commitment to the club is currently in doubt, with a move away likely, and I've never been a huge fan of his attitude in times of adversity. Seems to try to do everything on his own.
      Bobby Firmino: again someone who works his ass off and is a very good player but just doesn't strike me as a leader on the pitch.

I could go through every other player in the squad and I don't think a single one of them strike me as leaders in the same sense that you had from the likes of Jamie Carragher, Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt or Luis Suarez, to name just relatively recent players. I'd probably put the likes of Pepe Reina and Daniel Agger on the list as well.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #440: Oct 30, 2017 05:38:09 pm
      Instead, why don't you tell us what makes Henderson a good captain?

Should be an interesting read.

Good question, thought about it for a while, and there are a few factors.

He has been groomed for this role by Steven Gerrard himself: Henderson played alongside Gerrard for a few seasons and was vice captain under Gerrard. He was the natural successor to Gerrard, and it wouldn't be too obscure to think that he learned quite a lot from him both on and off the pitch. He was also picked to captain several under-age sides in his youth, which won't be for no reason. He's used to having the armband and leading a team.

He is an excellent communicator: He is constantly talking on the pitch, I cannot stand when I see people saying he's quiet on the field because it's just not true, watch the game, watch Henderson, he is constantly pointing and shouting orders. In particular, he has been looking out for Moreno this season. Next time they play together, watch the dynamic. Moreno's improvement and his listening to orders from Klopp and Henderson is no coincidence in my eyes.

Work rate: Passed off as a 'water carrier' by the doubters... Just another excuse against the captain. Henderson puts in the miles and work that a captain should. He leads by example in terms of sheer effort and grit. He will bust a gut for this team in terms of the miles he will run. That should and in my eyes does count for something.

Professionalism: I don't think there is any argument over this. A class act off the pitch and represents the club well.

He earned it: At the start of his career he was not good and to be honest I think a lot of people just can't shake the player they seen under The King. Kenny for some reason had him playing from Right Midfield, a terrible decision which hampered Jordan in his early years here. Since being moved to the middle he's progressed from strength to strength, gaining 36 England caps and a front runner to be the captain of his country now too.

He's a F***ing good player: I've harped on about this enough now. I claim he does a good job, and I have statistics to back me up. Those that say he's not only have 'oh I know what I seen and stats prove nothing', yea well I know what I've seen... AND I have statistics too so I make that 2-1 to me. Like I've said many many times, his role is to get the ball back for us and make sure we have possession. In terms of ball recoveries this season, I could only find Kante who has more in the Premier League. Yes he could be more adventurous, but the sideways passing thing is so old. People completely ignore the 30+ yard passes he pulls off time and time again. Completely ignore the fact that he has by far the most passes into the final third of any other player in our team. Completely ignore that he creates more chances and has more key passes than Gini and Can combined this season. Nah, he's just that sh*te right winger we signed from Sunderland.

I don't know what else people want, maybe these will help:

Part of me also thinks if he was Spanish people would be drooling over his ball retention and 'tiki taka' passing, how magical it is how he keeps the ball. (that is unless you're a moron and can't read a graph indicating how often he loses the ball eh Riba)

I'm not saying he's a world class talent. I'm not saying he's going to get the Premier League player of the year... But this witchhunt by certain members is beyond crazy. No one does anything in the first half and it's all his fault, we score 3 in the second and he's a passenger... No mention of keeping the other team to 0 shots on target and how a DM may be instrumental towards that stat... Come on ladies and gents let's start watching the game and paying a little attention to positives instead of desperately searching for negatives.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #441: Oct 30, 2017 05:56:59 pm

He has been groomed for this role by Steven Gerrard himself: Henderson played alongside Gerrard for a few seasons and was vice captain under Gerrard. He was the natural successor to Gerrard, and it wouldn't be too obscure to think that he learned quite a lot from him both on and off the pitch. He was also picked to captain several under-age sides in his youth, which won't be for no reason. He's used to having the armband and leading a team.

He is an excellent communicator: He is constantly talking on the pitch, I cannot stand when I see people saying he's quiet on the field because it's just not true, watch the game, watch Henderson, he is constantly pointing and shouting orders. In particular, he has been looking out for Moreno this season. Next time they play together, watch the dynamic. Moreno's improvement and his listening to orders from Klopp and Henderson is no coincidence in my eyes.

Work rate: Passed off as a 'water carrier' by the doubters... Just another excuse against the captain. Henderson puts in the miles and work that a captain should. He leads by example in terms of sheer effort and grit. He will bust a gut for this team in terms of the miles he will run. That should and in my eyes does count for something.

Professionalism: I don't think there is any argument over this. A class act off the pitch and represents the club well.

He earned it: At the start of his career he was not good and to be honest I think a lot of people just can't shake the player they seen under The King. Kenny for some reason had him playing from Right Midfield, a terrible decision which hampered Jordan in his early years here. Since being moved to the middle he's progressed from strength to strength, gaining 36 England caps and a front runner to be the captain of his country now too.

He's a F***ing good player: I've harped on about this enough now. I claim he does a good job, and I have statistics to back me up. Those that say he's not only have 'oh I know what I seen and stats prove nothing', yea well I know what I've seen... AND I have statistics too so I make that 2-1 to me. Like I've said many many times, his role is to get the ball back for us and make sure we have possession. In terms of ball recoveries this season, I could only find Kante who has more in the Premier League. Yes he could be more adventurous, but the sideways passing thing is so old. People completely ignore the 30+ yard passes he pulls off time and time again. Completely ignore the fact that he has by far the most passes into the final third of any other player in our team. Completely ignore that he creates more chances and has more key passes than Gini and Can combined this season. Nah, he's just that sh*te right winger we signed from Sunderland.

Part of me also thinks if he was Spanish people would be drooling over his ball retention and 'tiki taka' passing, how magical it is how he keeps the ball. (that is unless you're a moron and can't read a graph indicating how often he loses the ball eh Riba)

I'm not saying he's a world class talent. I'm not saying he's going to get the Premier League player of the year... But this witchhunt by certain members is beyond crazy. No one does anything in the first half and it's all his fault, we score 3 in the second and he's a passenger... No mention of keeping the other team to 0 shots on target and how a DM may be instrumental towards that stat... Come on ladies and gents let's start watching the game and paying a little attention to positives instead of desperately searching for negatives.

Very interesting read mate.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #442: Oct 30, 2017 06:05:56 pm
      Captaincy is a formality. What is really important is having leaders all across the pitch - a piece of elastic around someone's arm hardly changes anything. Some of the biggest leaders at extremely successful clubs never wore the armband (at least not on a regular basis) - I'm talking people like Gennaro Gattuso.

So the focus on Hendo's supposed lack of leadership skills just because he was the one chosen by Rodgers to wear the armband, a post which he was told to keep under Klopp, baffles me given the lack of leaders we have all across the pitch. The irony is that it comes from people who often seem to take any other type of criticism of Klopp as calling for his head, without realising they're also questioning the manager's judgement.

Then you end up getting the most ridiculous calls such as Sakho, a player with a history of unprofessionalism that would soon be ostracised by the manager, being the "real captain" of the squad, or that the mentally frail Dejan Lovren was nailed on to be the next captain, or even that the lazy, brutally overestimated Emre Can was captain material, just because he fits the stereotype of "midfield dynamo", someone who takes games "by the scruff of the neck" (this hope has now been transferred to Naby Keita before he even kicked a ball for us).

Anyway, let us consider the rest of our squad then.

Mignolet or Karius. Ha, right. Wouldn't captain Liverpool U23 if they played for them, no leadership whatsoever.
      Matip: hardly an organiser of the defence, not a very vocal presence either. Lovren: emotionally weak, lacks concentration, hopefully on borrowed time at the club.
      TAA: far too young, needs guidance not a burden. Moreno: hahaha.
      Emre Can: lazy, self-centered - not even committed to the club in the long term. Wijnaldum: not a vocal presence, found missing in most away games.
      Sadio Mané: a talented hard-working player but hardly shows much leadership on the pitch; seems pretty shy and I find it hard to imagine him being chosen as a players representative (in the event of an election, as a few clubs do).
      Philippe Coutinho: not a player I'd pick as captain myself. His commitment to the club is currently in doubt, with a move away likely, and I've never been a huge fan of his attitude in times of adversity. Seems to try to do everything on his own.
      Bobby Firmino: again someone who works his ass off and is a very good player but just doesn't strike me as a leader on the pitch.

I could go through every other player in the squad and I don't think a single one of them strike me as leaders in the same sense that you had from the likes of Jamie Carragher, Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt or Luis Suarez, to name just relatively recent players. I'd probably put the likes of Pepe Reina and Daniel Agger on the list as well.

Funnily enough, just after typing this, I started a new game on Football Manager and this is what I get in my team report:

:lmao:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #443: Oct 30, 2017 06:30:10 pm

Seriously, I am a huge Hendo fan, but wtf? drooling over his tiki taka passing if he were Spanish?? Come on, It's like me saying if Ox were Brazilian, we'd be drooling over his skill and flair.

Anyway, I do agree, he is average/good in the #6 role and doing a job there, but I'd rather he play in the #8 role, I still believe he can be exceptional (Rakitic level), such a shame it has been over looked :(
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #444: Oct 30, 2017 06:55:23 pm

He's a f**king good player: I've harped on about this enough now. I claim he does a good job, and I have statistics to back me up. Those that say he's not only have 'oh I know what I seen and stats prove nothing', yea well I know what I've seen... AND I have statistics too so I make that 2-1 to me. Like I've said many many times, his role is to get the ball back for us and make sure we have possession. In terms of ball recoveries this season, I could only find Kante who has more in the Premier League. Yes he could be more adventurous, but the sideways passing thing is so old. People completely ignore the 30+ yard passes he pulls off time and time again. Completely ignore the fact that he has by far the most passes into the final third of any other player in our team. Completely ignore that he creates more chances and has more key passes than Gini and Can combined this season. Nah, he's just that sh*te right winger we signed from Sunderland.

Agree with loads of that Mags - to me a reasoned, impassioned critique.

It’s not gonna win anybody over though - he is probably the greatest example of people (me included) seeing what they wanna see.

It remains my firm belief that our best team has him in it......whether at front or rear of the midfield.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #445: Oct 30, 2017 08:28:19 pm
      I get it.

Obviously one we disagree on re the individual but I get it.

Shitebag would be the regional variation up here.

I'm from your neck of the woods Scotia and know exactly what you mean, if i called you a pr**k you probably wouldn't bat a eyelid, say it to some unexpecting bloke in a pub down here he'll take offence and possibly want to belt ye one, understand ya pr**k ?  ;D

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #446: Oct 30, 2017 08:31:52 pm

I'm from your neck of the woods Scotia and know exactly what you mean, if i called you a pr**k you probably wouldn't bat a eyelid, say it to some unexpecting bloke in a pub down here he'll take offence and possibly want to belt ye one, understand ya pr**k ?  ;D

YNWA

Yes - 100% ya f#nny ;)

Amazing how subtle differences in geography can totally change meaning.

Where do you live now?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #447: Oct 30, 2017 08:56:26 pm
      Should Klopp pick a new captain,Tommy Smith and Souness come to mind but sadly I think their best days are behind them. :f_tongueincheek:
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1215 
      Reply #448: Oct 30, 2017 09:01:41 pm
      Not sure it makes a tremendous a difference if your defence is leaking shed loads of goals away from home. Besides, who the f*ck would you make captain that makes way more sense than Hendo? Nobody in my view. When we get that player then let's talk. For now the issue is sorting out our dismal defence.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #449: Oct 30, 2017 09:41:38 pm
      Yes - 100% ya f#nny ;)

Where do you live now?

I'm in the Midlands formerly of Johnstone   been down here nigh on 35yrs, not lost the accent, just everything else, miss the patter and SoH, Scouse lads are closest to our ways, one of the reasons i bleed Liverpool red, have been since '76' best wee football family on the planet,

So get it up ye bawbag !

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #450: Oct 30, 2017 09:52:53 pm
      I'm in the Midlands formerly of Johnstone   been down here nigh on 35yrs, not lost the accent, just everything else, miss the patter and SoH, Scouse lads are closest to our ways, one of the reasons i bleed Liverpool red, have been since '76' best wee football family on the planet,

So get it up ye bawbag !

YNWA

Cool.

I know Johnstone well. Couple mates from out that way.

I’m Coatbridge originally but now on south side (Newton Mearns) which is the wife’s manor.....

One part of the  Glaswegian vernacular that constantly makes me and my boys laugh is when Firmino scores......we shout “get in there Boaby” before looking at one and other and saying “do you think Mum heard that?”

I don’t think that one would mean anything anywhere else.....

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017 09:59:26 pm by Scotia »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #451: Oct 30, 2017 10:12:44 pm
      Yes - 100% ya f#nny ;)

Where do you live now?

If you're on familiar terms with the lad you call a pr**k or a shithouse, depending on how much lager has been consumed, you might get away with it. If it is a stranger you're sparring.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #452: Oct 30, 2017 10:35:02 pm
      If you're on familiar terms with the lad you call a pr**k or a shithouse, depending on how much lager has been consumed, you might get away with it. If it is a stranger you're sparring.
      I am quite sure calling somebody a pr*ck anywhere can cause a violent situation. Even looking at somebody incorrectly can. It can cause a right Henderson storm.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #453: Oct 31, 2017 04:43:42 am
      Yes. See this video. Watch Biglia and see the difference between a good confident DM and our Henderson.
      I don't think that Hendo is that bad, he can start but not at DM! Also, if you're not one of the best, you cannot be captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KiISWD4r4I
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #454: Oct 31, 2017 05:47:43 am
      Cool.

I know Johnstone well. Couple mates from out that way.

I’m Coatbridge originally but now on south side (Newton Mearns) which is the wife’s manor.....

One part of the  Glaswegian vernacular that constantly makes me and my boys laugh is when Firmino scores......we shout “get in there Boaby” before looking at one and other and saying “do you think Mum heard that?”

I don’t think that one would mean anything anywhere else.....

YNWA

Newton Meatns- very civilised , you married wealth then ? 😁
      She got any sisters , your missus ? 🤣

Johnstone was a shithole when i left all those yrs ago, can't imagine its changed much, probably worse, the Feds used to walk around in two's.......and that was inside the station..😁...very depressing state of affairs that's for sure..even the f***in Samaritans hung up on me once..

Yes i can see shouting " Get in there Boaby" would turn a few heids, especially if ye were in the 'Clansman' 😁

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      Reply #455: Oct 31, 2017 06:00:11 am
      I am quite sure calling somebody a pr*ck anywhere can cause a violent situation. Even looking at somebody incorrectly can. It can cause a right Henderson storm.

Riba mate....we've all suffered at the sight of your posts down the years and one thing that stands out above all else, and that is .........

......you'll always be a........

..............FANNY !!

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #456: Oct 31, 2017 08:29:35 am

Riba mate....we've all suffered at the sight of your posts down the years and one thing that stands out above all else, and that is .........

......you'll always be a........

..............FANNY !!

YNWA
      how do you know? Crystal ball?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #457: Oct 31, 2017 08:36:20 am

The power of sight and being able to read.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #458: Oct 31, 2017 09:12:47 am
      The power of sight and being able to read.
      I am not even going to tell you the error in that sentence. I am done educating people with less than average intellect.
      This topic is about Henderson and if he is or is not the best option to be captain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #459: Oct 31, 2017 09:29:43 am

Experience.

Quick Reply