Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50539 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #46: Jun 22, 2017 07:23:13 am
      The over head kick was great and all but that's why I choose him, nor was it for the Arsenal game where he came back from a Injury to run the show, just think he has more attributes Captain wise than than any other player that we currently have, and more likely to gab a game by the scruff of the neck than Henderson

I think a captain needs to be reliable on the pitch first and foremost. Can ain't there yet, not even close. 5 years down the line... maybe. But not now, no way.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #47: Jun 22, 2017 08:06:16 am
      I don't think he's good enough for to hold the club armband and if we want to kick on then it's players like Henderson that we can do without.

Milner isn't better than Henderson though IMO. He's also approaching the end of his career and probably won't have a set place in the team once we buy a left back.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #48: Jun 22, 2017 08:58:05 am
      There's only one future captain.
      :lmao:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #49: Jun 22, 2017 09:00:33 am
      Probably not the most important topic/point; I'd like to see Klopp pick some gems in the transfer window first.

That said, they'd be no arguments from me if Henderson was demoted from his role as captain, not sure I see it happening TBH.

Lallana maybe worth a mention?
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #50: Jun 22, 2017 10:06:29 am
      I think a captain needs to be reliable on the pitch first and foremost. Can ain't there yet, not even close. 5 years down the line... maybe. But not now, no way.
      See your point, But I also feel a Captain has to have a commanding presents on the field, and sorry but that is not Henderson
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #51: Jun 22, 2017 10:09:47 am
      You don't change something as significant as a captain without having a solid and obvious choice.

Right now the options given in this thread all have question marks over their heads.

Hendo just need to get himself right and back on the pitch.
      Obvious choice is different depending on who you are. To me Henderson is a squad player. He has nowhere near the talent required to be a first 11 player in a top 4 side. He is either first team at a mid table club or a useful sub at a top 4 side. That is when fit, Coutinho on the other hand will make the first 11 every time he is fit in any side in PL, probably even Europe. The gulf in the difference of quality is not describable, which is why Coutinho is peoples obvious choice. I don't think a captain has to be particularly vocal but they have to lead by example. Last year Henderson scored 2 goals, this year 1 goal. 3 goals in 2 seasons is not okay, it can be argued he is a midfielder but his assist stats are poor too. His passing accuracy in the other half is 81%. Which means almost 1/5 of his passes don't get where they are meant to. In 350 odd games in PL total, he made around 35 assists, I don't have the exact stats per season. He is not first 11 material if we want trophies. When we are in the CL up against Pogba, Iniesta we don't want to be looking like the England national team did against France. I know people think the captain is not important but whilst Henderson is captain there is a pressure to pick him whenever he is fit ahead of Lallana, Gini, Can or anybody else who is not captain. Which is why the captain should be the best player on the field who has already won fans over.. ie Coutinho.  Just to remind people, Henderson is 27 years old.. this is his peak! 1 goal in 27 games this season. Klavan has a better goal to game ratio than Henderson this season whilst Henderson is on his peak.
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2017 10:20:01 am by Ribapuru »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #52: Jun 22, 2017 01:40:00 pm
      Obvious choice is different depending on who you are. To me Henderson is a squad player. He has nowhere near the talent required to be a first 11 player in a top 4 side. He is either first team at a mid table club or a useful sub at a top 4 side. That is when fit, Coutinho on the other hand will make the first 11 every time he is fit in any side in PL, probably even Europe. The gulf in the difference of quality is not describable, which is why Coutinho is peoples obvious choice. I don't think a captain has to be particularly vocal but they have to lead by example. Last year Henderson scored 2 goals, this year 1 goal. 3 goals in 2 seasons is not okay, it can be argued he is a midfielder but his assist stats are poor too. His passing accuracy in the other half is 81%. Which means almost 1/5 of his passes don't get where they are meant to. In 350 odd games in PL total, he made around 35 assists, I don't have the exact stats per season. He is not first 11 material if we want trophies. When we are in the CL up against Pogba, Iniesta we don't want to be looking like the England national team did against France. I know people think the captain is not important but whilst Henderson is captain there is a pressure to pick him whenever he is fit ahead of Lallana, Gini, Can or anybody else who is not captain. Which is why the captain should be the best player on the field who has already won fans over.. ie Coutinho.  Just to remind people, Henderson is 27 years old.. this is his peak! 1 goal in 27 games this season. Klavan has a better goal to game ratio than Henderson this season whilst Henderson is on his peak.

Just being devils advocate:

Gianluigi Buffon, position goalkeeper, goals 0. Captain for club & country.

More to being a Captain than scoring goals, and shouting a lot, and being "the best on the pitch". Plenty of times Gerrard was poor, he was kept on as Captain.

There is a lot behind the scenes stuff that we do not see that Klopp does.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #53: Jun 22, 2017 01:41:59 pm
      You don't change something as significant as a captain without having a solid and obvious choice.

Right now the options given in this thread all have question marks over their heads.

Hendo just need to get himself right and back on the pitch.

Yeah that's fair Crouchy and exactly why I think there's no chance it will change.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #54: Jun 22, 2017 02:28:22 pm

More to being a Captain than scoring goals, and shouting a lot, and being "the best on the pitch". Plenty of times Gerrard was poor, he was kept on as Captain.

You don't expect a goalkeeper to score, but Gerrard scored 10-15+ goals a season at Hendo's age from the same position. Not expecting Hendo to do that, but 5 goals 5 assists would be nice target for him. That may seem lowballing but he is quite far below that now. If a midfielder is not getting goals or assists what are they doing? He needs to do a lot more to keep his first 11 position which is why I am doubting his captaincy.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #55: Jun 22, 2017 02:34:53 pm
      You don't expect a goalkeeper to score, but Gerrard scored 10-15+ goals a season at Hendo's age from the same position. Not expecting Hendo to do that, but 5 goals 5 assists would be nice target for him. That may seem lowballing but he is quite far below that now. If a midfielder is not getting goals or assists what are they doing? He needs to do a lot more to keep his first 11 position which is why I am doubting his captaincy.

But Rib's babe he ain't playing in the same position as Stevie!
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #56: Jun 22, 2017 02:40:45 pm
      Who cares..........such a overrated position.

Need leaders in every position.
      No it's not . All great teams had great Captains. That's no coincidence.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #57: Jun 22, 2017 02:41:52 pm
      I'd sell our Captain and buy a new one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #58: Jun 22, 2017 02:50:46 pm

Agree.

Hendo appears to have the respect of the lads as well.

I'd be amazed if we see any change in the captaincy.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #59: Jun 22, 2017 03:21:18 pm
      No. Hendo is a good captain & will be back fitter & stronger for this season.

Also Milner has done a fine job as vice captain.

I can see Lovren & coutinho being captain more when those 2 are not playing though.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #60: Jun 22, 2017 04:02:22 pm
      I think the more pertinent question for Klopp should be is he going to Amnesia or Pacha? :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #61: Jun 22, 2017 05:09:13 pm
      This remind me of the general election, most people post they back Hendo, then click Yes to new captain in the poll  :f_doh:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #62: Jun 22, 2017 06:14:48 pm
      It really all depends on what you expect from a Captain, or more importantly, what Klopp expects. Does a Captain have to Captain like Stevie or Carra? I'll caveat that by saying that if his injury issue keeps him out much longer, he'd have to step down. I do think you do him a disservice over his talent, as do many people. He has one of the best ranges of passing of anyone currently in the Premier League and I believe, injury free of course, he'd walk into the first team of many of the big six in this country. He has better overall stats than Willian, Fabregass, Kante, Ox, roughly on par with Lamella and Xhaka, and only beaten by Pogba and Erikson. He's not shy of handing out a bollocking to either player or match official and is probably the only example of FSG's investment in young players that can be argued to have worked. What's not to like?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #63: Jun 22, 2017 07:27:19 pm
      No it's not . All great teams had great Captains. That's no coincidence.

Of course it's coincidence great teams = great players.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #64: Jun 22, 2017 07:55:24 pm
      Of course it's coincidence great teams = great players.
      I'm assuming you've read a few footballers auto - biographies ? If they we're in a great team they always talk about the influence of their Captain. That's no coincidence.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 673 posts | 87 
      Reply #65: Jun 22, 2017 08:10:56 pm
      I like Henderson as a player, I feel he is fully committed to the club and learnt his captaincy trade from one of the best.

There is a big but though, does anyone know if this injury to his foot is career threatening? 
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #66: Jun 22, 2017 08:11:20 pm
       ;) Jurgens chat in Blackpool , bookies got Virgil odds on @ 5/6 to put pen to paper  ,it's in the stars guys next signing next captain.
      For the doubters the lottery numbers for tomorrow night are  , 5, 18, 19, 43, 27, Bonus 6 + 9 you heard it hear first :f_whistle:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #67: Jun 22, 2017 08:23:58 pm
      I'm assuming you've read a few footballers auto - biographies ? If they we're in a great team they always talk about the influence of their Captain. That's no coincidence.

Footballers biographies! most of them can't even read and write   :D

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #68: Jun 22, 2017 09:16:01 pm
      ;) Jurgens chat in Blackpool , bookies got Virgil odds on @ 5/6 to put pen to paper  ,it's in the stars guys next signing next captain.
      For the doubters the lottery numbers for tomorrow night are  , 5, 18, 19, 43, 27, Bonus 6 + 9 you heard it hear first :f_whistle:

Typical of FSG cheapness that they tapped him up in Blackpool though :P

Quick Reply