Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50496 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #69: Jun 22, 2017 09:20:58 pm
      Footballers biographies! most of them can't even read and write   :D
      Well the books from the 90's were very revealing and had no bullshit excuses about why they did this or that.

Ray Kennedys is a fantastic read with some truly great anecdotes. John Barnes is also excellent but Kennys was sh*t.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #70: Jun 22, 2017 10:12:01 pm
      Not for me, even if we sign someone super experienced, can't just hand them the armband just in the door.
      When Hendo plays, think he does a good job.
      "You're it, until you're dead or I find someone better." - Starship Troopers.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #71: Jun 23, 2017 01:57:42 am
      even if we sign someone super experienced, can't just hand them the armband just in the door.

But we did that with Milner.  He was given the vice captaincy about 5 minutes after he signed and with the injuries to Henderson I'd imagine he's captained us almost as many times as Henderson since he signed.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #72: Jun 23, 2017 08:40:47 am
      Irrespective if the captain is Henderson or someone else the main criteria must be the captain has to have the respect of all the players.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #73: Jun 23, 2017 09:16:38 am
      Matip for me, i've always been a fan of Cb's being captain.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #74: Jun 23, 2017 09:36:40 am
      Matip for me, i've always been a fan of Cb's being captain.

We have had some good ones over the years Daz.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #75: Jun 23, 2017 10:01:45 am
      We have had some good ones over the years Daz.

Sure have Bill, maybe just my bias but I think they generally see more of what's happening on the pitch as the game is played in front of them.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #76: Jun 23, 2017 10:26:39 am
      I don't really have any problems with Hendo being captain (best of a bad bunch in that regard) but if he continues to be injured for long periods then we obviously have to start looking elsewhere (especially if we sign a LB and Milner isn't a regular).
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #77: Jun 24, 2017 02:39:28 am
      It really all depends on what you expect from a Captain, or more importantly, what Klopp expects. Does a Captain have to Captain like Stevie or Carra? I'll caveat that by saying that if his injury issue keeps him out much longer, he'd have to step down. I do think you do him a disservice over his talent, as do many people. He has one of the best ranges of passing of anyone currently in the Premier League and I believe, injury free of course, he'd walk into the first team of many of the big six in this country. He has better overall stats than Willian, Fabregass, Kante, Ox, roughly on par with Lamella and Xhaka, and only beaten by Pogba and Erikson. He's not shy of handing out a bollocking to either player or match official and is probably the only example of FSG's investment in young players that can be argued to have worked. What's not to like?

Fair play my man love the enthusiasm of our current captain well said. I believe young Jordan can live up to his billing and can lead our fine club onto great things.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,775 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #78: Jun 24, 2017 05:17:12 am
      I'd make Coutinho Captain. He might start learning a bit more English.  ;D

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #79: Jun 24, 2017 09:08:26 am
      No. We have a captain who makes us a better team when he plays but has struggled a bit with injury.

If his problems are over he's an automatic pick for me. If not then I would go for Matip.......if Jürgen feels need to change.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #80: Jun 24, 2017 01:19:34 pm
      For me it's Milner. I know some say he is to nice, but I think he is certainly a leader, even if it's only is by example. He has shown to be for the greater good of the team by moving to LB this past season and has been somewhat outspoken and supportive of recent moves. He leaves it all out on the pitch and is always up to the challenge. Klopp trust him for our PK's, why not in trust him as full time cap? Even as a squad player I could see him being a good choice. Hendo is too injury prone for me. Hard to lead from the trainers table.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #81: Jun 24, 2017 03:13:17 pm
      I think Lallana would make a solid captain. I like the shouts for Coutinho and Matip as well, but Lallana definitely fits the mold more than Hendo and Milner.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #82: Jun 24, 2017 03:37:14 pm
      For me it's Milner. I know some say he is to nice, but I think he is certainly a leader, even if it's only is by example. He has shown to be for the greater good of the team by moving to LB this past season and has been somewhat outspoken and supportive of recent moves. He leaves it all out on the pitch and is always up to the challenge. Klopp trust him for our PK's, why not in trust him as full time cap? Even as a squad player I could see him being a good choice. Hendo is too injury prone for me. Hard to lead from the trainers table.

I think I would agree with you but I think that in a midfield trio, Hendo and Wijnaldum will play more than Milner. Although I think Milner has more influence on the game.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #83: Jun 24, 2017 04:09:41 pm
      I think I would agree with you but I think that in a midfield trio, Hendo and Wijnaldum will play more than Milner. Although I think Milner has more influence on the game.

For sure, Milners playing time will be impacted by what happens this summer. But no matter if he is a midfield squad player or reserve LB he still shows his true love for the club by his selflessness and willingness to teach and hype up younger players. True captain in my book.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #84: Jun 24, 2017 05:36:32 pm
      I think Lallana would make a solid captain. I like the shouts for Coutinho and Matip as well, but Lallana definitely fits the mold more than Hendo and Milner.

I didnt realise Adam was 29 I thought he was 25/26 which in the grand scheme of things makes him the elder statesman after Milly ,Im not really fussed as long as we are all together ,non playing could influence Jürgen for a change as I said before leave it to the players.

Tell you what , Adam wants to chill on holiday sod this for a laugh  :o

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/adam-lallana-liverpool-pre-season-10680399#ICID=nsm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #85: Jun 25, 2017 01:41:41 pm
      I didnt realise Adam was 29 I thought he was 25/26 which in the grand scheme of things makes him the elder statesman after Milly ,Im not really fussed as long as we are all together ,non playing could influence Jürgen for a change as I said before leave it to the players.

Tell you what , Adam wants to chill on holiday sod this for a laugh  :o

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/adam-lallana-liverpool-pre-season-10680399#ICID=nsm

Going off topic a bit, but it will be interesting to see who hits the floor running, Lallana, or the boys from Brazil who are partying.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #86: Jun 27, 2017 04:49:16 pm
      Hendo for me, has grown into the role after I thought he may struggle, but we struggle when he is out to be honest. The poll is as close as brexit though. Some people say Emre Can for captain, he is not even sure to be here, also he is messing about over a new contract, gotta have more commitment than that to captain this club.

The Emre Can for captain thing takes me aback slightly considering that aside from the last month of the season or so he was average at best, dire at worst. He's still got a long way to go before he can be considered a definite starting XI player. The same goes for Mignolet in goal who has completely failed to piece together a season that could be described as 'adequate' during the 4 years he has been at this club. Improving that absolutely horrific shot to goal ratio that he has ownership of would be a start.
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017 05:05:30 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #87: Jun 27, 2017 08:34:50 pm
      Of course not, Henderson was fantastic all season when he played. A much better player than Emre Can for sure (even if the latter had a much needed surge in form towards the end of the season).
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #88: Jun 28, 2017 11:49:14 pm
      Maybe he should but i dont see who could that be, really.
      He is far from perfect as a captain, but i dont see anyone who could do better at his place.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #89: Jun 28, 2017 11:57:40 pm
      Hendo for me, has grown into the role after I thought he may struggle, but we struggle when he is out to be honest. The poll is as close as brexit though. Some people say Emre Can for captain, he is not even sure to be here, also he is messing about over a new contract, gotta have more commitment than that to captain this club.

Disagree on the Hendo part.
      Agree on the Can part.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #90: Jun 29, 2017 12:03:20 am
      Disagree on the Hendo part.
      Agree on the Can part.

What about Milner, armband waited for him at the entrance.
      Can at least spent a bit more time with the squad.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #91: Jun 29, 2017 12:07:36 am
      What about Milner, armband waited for him at the entrance.
      Can at least spent a bit more time with the squad.

I never agreed with Milner being made VC the second he arrived at the club and I remember saying so too. But, out of him and Hendo I'd lean towards Milner on the basis that he actually plays.

Don't think we are particularly blessed with leaders to be honest, not like over the last 15 years or so where we had the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Agger, Pepe, Hyypia and Fowler. Agger and Pepe were never made actual captains but they were still more than capable of doing the job and would have been good candidates for it.

Quick Reply