Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 49783 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #299: Sep 20, 2017 09:09:43 pm
      This obsession with a piece of elastic is the least of the teams problems

This. Get over it. It's a F***ing armband. Grow the F**k out of your Roy of the Rovers bullshit. We need leaders, whether they're wearing a piece of elastic on their arms or not is totally irrelevant.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #300: Sep 20, 2017 09:13:58 pm
      Of course we should have a different captain.  I mean really, if Henderson weren't captain now, would anyone give it to him?  would anyone even have him in the starting XI?  I doubt it.

This, unfortunately, is another consequence of FSG waiting too long to sack Rodgers.  Does anyone remember the last game of the 14/15 season, when we got destroyed by Stoke away, we lost 6-0 or something?  Everyone knew he should've been sacked long before that, but that really should've been the last straw.  Klopp was already available, he'd already had his press conference saying he was leaving Dortmund etc. 

Well, Henderson was named captain in July.  By Rodgers.  So, if FSG had sacked Rodgers at the end of the season in May, like everyone and their mother knew they should've done, then Klopp could've come in, had a full summer of transfers and working with the squad, and made his own decision on captain.  No way in hell he would've picked Henderson. 

But of course he didn't come in until October, and Henderson was already captain.  An awful decision made by an awful manager.  And yet now Klopp is stuck with it.

I honestly think that we're stuck with Henderson as captain for the next 3-4 seasons at least.  He is absolutely useless as a footballer, much less as a captain, but I don't think Klopp has the bollocks to take the captaincy off of him.  Thanks, Brendan.  We're still suffering from the awful decisions he took. 

If it were my choice I'd give it to Mane.  He's shown an incredible amount of passion for the club in the short time he's been here, he fights, he works hard, he doesn't go missing.  And he's arguably the first name on the team sheet, so no one would question whether he is just being put on the field because he's captain.

But I doubt it'll happen.

At the time you would have given it to Sakho. The Crystal Palace defender.

Then you would have given it to Emre Can. The guy you now realise is sh*te.

It's not that hard to understand our team is not really blessed with leaders and the armband is the least of our problems.

For you, though, it's another opportunity to have a go at Henderson. Attention whore.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #301: Sep 20, 2017 10:45:03 pm
      Andy Robertson becomes the real deal and takes over the LB starting role very soon. He continues to grow as a player and eventually starts to garner respect from all the lads on the team. He takes the arm band next season and leads us to triumph for the next 10 years. We win many trophies and we all look back at this time with a bit of whimsical glee.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :ernaehrung004: :champ: :chongin:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #302: Sep 21, 2017 10:46:44 am
      Im not a Hendo backer at all.
      Who else would you give the armband to? Can who is going to leave next summer, Matip who has been here 5 minutes, Maybe Coutinho cause he is our best player? Oh wait he wanted out too? Mane, he isn't a leader. What about the Benched Jimmy Milner?

He's the best for the job right now so pipe down.

Sorry but in what capacity is Henderson more of a leader than Mane or Matip, what definition of leadership do you have??
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #303: Sep 21, 2017 10:51:57 am
      Keita...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #304: Sep 21, 2017 10:52:18 am
      This. Get over it. It's a f**king armband. Grow the f**k out of your Roy of the Rovers bullshit. We need leaders, whether they're wearing a piece of elastic on their arms or not is totally irrelevant.

Sorry but I disagree, a great captain can motivate and inspire his team, look at Stevie G in the nearly season. A weak one is just another player or even worse is resented for being favored by the manager whilst being crap, look at Henderson.

Now I agree that we don't have any natural replacement for Henderson but in the interim I'd make Milner captain, he has far more fire and passion in his play plus I suspect he is quite a bit more intelligent and has more natural authority. I'd also play Milner as DM until we can buy a proper one as we know he has a good tackle on him plus is a better passer of the ball and more positive . Henderson I'd sell at the earliest possible occasion, he is all that is wrong with the current team.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #305: Sep 21, 2017 10:55:04 am
      It's not that hard to understand our team is not really blessed with leaders and the armband is the least of our problems.

For you, though, it's another opportunity to have a go at Henderson. Attention whore.

I've posted twice this month; according to your stats, you've posted more than 50 times.  But apparently *I'm* an attention-whore.  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  I don't know what your issue is with me, I have nothing against you.  But you seem to have an intense disdain for me for some reason.

At any rate, I'd agree with you that who the captain is isn't really one of our big problems right now.  But that's what this thread is about, so I don't see why you take issue with people discussing it.  And if you did have to pick a leader, I think most would agree that Mane is more of a leader than Henderson, and I think pretty much all would agree that Mane is definitely not sh*te...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #306: Sep 21, 2017 10:57:54 am
      Far far to early to chuck the towel in ppl,  but i think we can all agree though that its not the best starts to a season and also we if we didnt know already and most importantly JĂ¼rgen is finding out finally that his squad is miles away from being regular top 4 finishers.

Included in our list of no good enoughs is our captain, decent player yes, to take us forward as  leader, as a example setter, as a stalwart to reach the ultimate level of past successful captains its a resounding No,

So, here's what id like to see happen asap, we need a proven experienced leader & captain yes ?
      Hummels is your man, even IF we need to break the bank , behind him a keeper with equal experience someone Karius can learn from, we already have Naby en route , add him to Firmino, Salah, Mane, Can, yes Can, Gini also and we will have the makings of a very decent side, basically we're adding a spine , which ironically we are severely lacking right now ,

We need something like this as soon as possible, hopefully starting from January!

YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #307: Sep 21, 2017 01:29:44 pm
      Sorry but I disagree, a great captain can motivate and inspire his team, look at Stevie G in the nearly season. A weak one is just another player or even worse is resented for being favored by the manager whilst being crap, look at Henderson.

He's a great player before he's a great captain. It's not the armband that scored long range goals.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #308: Sep 21, 2017 01:34:26 pm
      I think most would agree that Mane is more of a leader than Henderson

I actually have a very hard time believing that anyone sees Mané as a leader. But I can understand that from someone who thought Sakho was obviously "the real captain".

Mane is a great player, for sure, but hardly a leader. He isn't vocal at all, and hardly a big personality, he seems so shy he mostly copies his teammates celebrations. People complain about Hendo not getting to the referees face, I don't see Mané doing that either. I don't see him shouting at teammates or doing anything of the sort.

The truth is the team as a whole lacks leaders. I can't be arsed who's going to wear the armband. Give it to Mané for all I care. England's obsession with the role of captain is frankly ridiculous anyway.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #309: Sep 21, 2017 02:45:06 pm
      This. Get over it. It's a f**king armband. Grow the f**k out of your Roy of the Rovers bullshit. We need leaders, whether they're wearing a piece of elastic on their arms or not is totally irrelevant.

yep,the idea we need a shouting,pointing,bully to lead the team does seem a brit obsession.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #310: Sep 21, 2017 04:00:40 pm
        yep,the idea we need a shouting,pointing,bully to lead the team does seem a brit obsession.

F**k all to do with that, they're just called winners!!

Souness, Keane, Gerrard - could be called bullies, could also be called winners and F***ing midfield generals that took sh*t from no one and played for the F***ing shirt.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #311: Sep 21, 2017 04:16:49 pm
      He's a great player before he's a great captain. It's not the armband that scored long range goals.

Are you talking about Henderson when you say great player, if so Wow who are you comparing him against??? BTW what long rage goal are you referring to and which year was it?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #312: Sep 21, 2017 04:20:16 pm
      I actually have a very hard time believing that anyone sees Mané as a leader. But I can understand that from someone who thought Sakho was obviously "the real captain".

Mane is a great player, for sure, but hardly a leader. He isn't vocal at all, and hardly a big personality, he seems so shy he mostly copies his teammates celebrations. People complain about Hendo not getting to the referees face, I don't see Mané doing that either. I don't see him shouting at teammates or doing anything of the sort.

The truth is the team as a whole lacks leaders. I can't be arsed who's going to wear the armband. Give it to Mané for all I care. England's obsession with the role of captain is frankly ridiculous anyway.

Good to know you think all English people are ridiculous Diego, mind you coming from Brasil I can understand why the concept of leadership or being able to organise anything is a bit alien to you.  ;-)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #313: Sep 21, 2017 05:04:27 pm
      F**k all to do with that, they're just called winners!!

Souness, Keane, Gerrard - could be called bullies, could also be called winners and f**king midfield generals that took sh*t from no one and played for the f**king shirt.

Aaaah

Allows himself a small smirk at the notion of Souness faced with Can jogging back as we lost that second against Seville.

To paraphrase the film......."you're a big lad Emre but you're outta shape, for Souey it was a full-time job"
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #314: Sep 21, 2017 05:14:55 pm
      Aaaah

Allows himself a small smirk at the notion of Souness faced with Can jogging back as we lost that second against Seville.

To paraphrase the film......."you're a big lad Emre but you're outta shape, for Souey it was a full-time job"

Loved Souness & still do to be honest, even though he gets a rough ride from some... imagine him alongside Gerrard,Mascherano & Alonso...

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #315: Sep 21, 2017 05:20:16 pm
      Loved Souness & still do to be honest, even though he gets a rough ride from some... imagine him alongside Gerrard,Mascherano & Alonso...

As a player Shabs he was special and as a captain inspiring.

Best all round deep lying mid in my lifetime.

Anywhere.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #316: Sep 21, 2017 05:27:34 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #317: Sep 21, 2017 05:36:08 pm

hahaha F***ing hell that brings back memories of the Bjornebye song :lmao:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #318: Sep 21, 2017 05:48:30 pm
      hahaha f**king hell that brings back memories of the Bjornebye song :lmao:

Bjornebye in our team...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #319: Sep 21, 2017 05:53:21 pm
      Are you talking about Henderson when you say great player, if so Wow who are you comparing him against??? BTW what long rage goal are you referring to and which year was it?

I was referring to Steven Gerrard, I thought that was pretty obvious. THe whole notion that he inspired others because he had a piece of elastic around his arm is ludicrous. He inspired others because he was a brilliant player.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #320: Sep 21, 2017 05:57:20 pm
      Good to know you think all English people are ridiculous Diego, mind you coming from Brasil I can understand why the concept of leadership or being able to organise anything is a bit alien to you.  ;-)

I know you're not English so maybe it's a matter of textual comprehension? English isnt my first language either so I understand it can be tough at times. However if you read my post and understood that I called all English people ridiculous, then you seriously need help.

I said England's obsession with armbands and the captain role is ridiculous and I stand by it. Completely different to what you're trying to portray.

But then again me and you both know it was just so you could have another dig at Brazil. You can go F**k yourself you tw*t. And dont come to me with "but I lived in Brazil" as if that excused you for being a c**t. F**k off.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #321: Sep 21, 2017 06:01:48 pm
      Europe's most successful club don't even bother picking captains. It's the club's policy that whoever is the most senior player at the club wears the armband - no drama for what is not in fact that important anyway.

The idea is that if a player has been at the club long enough, then naturally he must be expected to be good enough and have a leadership role.

Which is not always the case at a club like LFC. We need to have the ruthlessness to demand that kind of high standards, so the armband becomes far less relevant

Quick Reply