Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 565401 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #2852: Jan 05, 2021 09:47:09 am
      True, ref was crap, but we still only had one scuffed shot on goal against a reserve goalkeeper, pathetic attacking from all three, especially Mo and Bobby.

Was it really..? Our midfielders were playing deep to support or makeshift defence... our front 3 were pretty much starved of any quality balls..
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2853: Jan 05, 2021 10:07:16 am
      Was it really..? Our midfielders were playing deep to support or makeshift defence... our front 3 were pretty much starved of any quality balls..

Exactly.

And this is where a top striker like a Kane would make a difference who can score goals from very limited chances.

Our forwards are not natural goal scorers, especially Bobby, so they need a multitude of chances created each game to score.

A top striker would allow us to play deeper should we need to while also putting away some of the limited chances.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2854: Jan 05, 2021 01:38:54 pm
      Exactly.

And this is where a top striker like a Kane would make a difference who can score goals from very limited chances.

Our forwards are not natural goal scorers, especially Bobby, so they need a multitude of chances created each game to score.

A top striker would allow us to play deeper should we need to while also putting away some of the limited chances.

I don't think a "top striker" does us any good. Klopp's system isn't built that way. Look at how many times Bobby and even Mane were dropping deeper last night to pick up the ball...all because the midfield were helping out our rickety back line. Mo's production goes as Trent goes as well. Trent had a howler and gave Mo no support or service whatsoever. Add to that the front three just a little bit off the mark and it looks like the end of the world. It's not...Klopp will get it sorted.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2855: Jan 05, 2021 01:57:53 pm
      I don't think a "top striker" does us any good. Klopp's system isn't built that way. Look at how many times Bobby and even Mane were dropping deeper last night to pick up the ball...all because the midfield were helping out our rickety back line. Mo's production goes as Trent goes as well. Trent had a howler and gave Mo no support or service whatsoever. Add to that the front three just a little bit off the mark and it looks like the end of the world. It's not...Klopp will get it sorted.

I get that but when Klopp's system isn't working for one reason or another there seems to be very little we can do to change things up. A good natural striker would allow us to be that bit more flexible.

Luckily Jürgen's system works most of the time.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2856: Jan 05, 2021 02:05:04 pm

Jürgen hasn't always played this way though and more often than not played with a Number 9 at Dortmund.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2857: Jan 05, 2021 02:22:20 pm
      Jürgen hasn't always played this way though and more often than not played with a Number 9 at Dortmund.

Exactly mate.

He had Lewandowski and Aubameyang at one stage.

We don't have any players like this.
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2021 02:28:45 pm by bazspeedman »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2858: Jan 05, 2021 02:25:23 pm

Nonsense they all had plenty of the ball, think of how Gundogan scored against Chelsea or Rashford against Villa, clever individual play, finding space and taking the shot, when't the last time Mo or Bobby did that for us? Its simply not good enough. Mane is trying and is creating space but he's woefully out of tune at the moment.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2859: Jan 05, 2021 02:30:28 pm
      Exactly mate.

He had Lewandowski and Aubameyang at one stage.

We don't have any players like this.

I'd be tempted to move Salah into the middle and go 4 2 3 1 to see how that goes.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2860: Jan 05, 2021 02:35:29 pm
      I'd be tempted to move Salah into the middle and go 4 2 3 1 to see how that goes.

Yup we need to change something.

If we play that same team and formation against the Mancs we'll lose again.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2861: Jan 05, 2021 03:49:38 pm
      Thought Salah was selfish last night. Salah looked after himself. Where as Mane helps Robo, Salah must have seen how poor Arnold was playing but refused to drop and help Arnold out
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2862: Jan 05, 2021 03:52:45 pm
      Think Salah is starting to belive his own propergander
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,621 posts | 3917 
      Reply #2863: Jan 05, 2021 04:03:35 pm
      Thought Salah was selfish last night. Salah looked after himself. Where as Mane helps Robo, Salah must have seen how poor Arnold was playing but refused to drop and help Arnold out

Everyone was crap mate
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2864: Jan 05, 2021 04:14:26 pm
      Think Salah is starting to belive his own propergander

do you mean propaganda or is it some witty pun??
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2865: Jan 05, 2021 05:26:39 pm
      Start him through the middle next game.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #2866: Jan 05, 2021 05:43:26 pm
      If we end up playing a 4-2-3-1 I want to see Gini in the hole behind the striker (give him the same freedom he gets with Holland). Pivot of Thiago and Hendo (bring back Rhys at CB).
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2867: Jan 05, 2021 05:51:32 pm

That is no different now than before. Salah is the player on the team who has by far the least defensive responsibilities so that he's further up the field for a counter attack. What is different, however, is that he has his head firmly up his ass the last 3 games and it needs to change asap.
      Scottbot

• 9,613 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2868: Jan 05, 2021 11:12:55 pm
      Nonsense they all had plenty of the ball, think of how Gundogan scored against Chelsea or Rashford against Villa, clever individual play, finding space and taking the shot, when't the last time Mo or Bobby did that for us? Its simply not good enough. Mane is trying and is creating space but he's woefully out of tune at the moment.

That’s the first decent thing Gundigan has done in fecking months and City (Who you keep holding up as this shining beacon of how we should play) until very recently have looked extremely predictable and have struggled to score goals. Pep acknowledged this very fact.

Our lads will come through this little dip just as they (City) have but in the mean time why don’t you tone down your little tantrums, sweeping statements and branding of our English, European and World conquering heroes as ‘pathetic’? Not that they’ll ever read your comments, but I’m pretty sure their incredible accomplishments as individuals, and as a team should earn them a little latitude, respect and patience when things are not quite going to plan (despite still being top ofcourse).

I’m so proud and grateful for what they have accomplished these past 3 or so years, and I honestly could never talk, write and scapegoat our players the way you and some others do the moment we drop a few points or hit an off patch.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2869: Jan 06, 2021 10:03:00 am
      That’s the first decent thing Gundigan has done in fecking months and City (Who you keep holding up as this shining beacon of how we should play) until very recently have looked extremely predictable and have struggled to score goals. Pep acknowledged this very fact.

Our lads will come through this little dip just as they (City) have but in the mean time why don’t you tone down your little tantrums, sweeping statements and branding of our English, European and World conquering heroes as ‘pathetic’? Not that they’ll ever read your comments, but I’m pretty sure their incredible accomplishments as individuals, and as a team should earn them a little latitude, respect and patience when things are not quite going to plan (despite still being top ofcourse).

I’m so proud and grateful for what they have accomplished these past 3 or so years, and I honestly could never talk, write and scapegoat our players the way you and some others do the moment we drop a few points or hit an off patch.

Yes because you never do sweeping statements or pursue agendas do you mate. ;-)

I am incredibly proud of all our players and their accomplishments, I'm fairly certain you've seen me say that on multiple occasions, but at the moment they are playing sh*t, not helped by a manager who seems to have run out of ideas.

You are spot on about City going through a dip of their own earlier in the season, unfortunately we weren't able to capitalise much on that, hopefully we'll bounce back as well but in all honesty unless we change our tactics I simply can't see it and Jürgen is not the most flexible or adaptable manager at the best of times.

My main fear at the moment is that Man Utd humiliate us in our next league game.
      Scottbot

• 9,613 posts | 2159 
      Reply #2870: Jan 06, 2021 11:41:18 am

I am incredibly proud of all our players and their accomplishments, I'm fairly certain you've seen me say that on multiple occasions, but at the moment they are playing sh*t, not helped by a manager who seems to have run out of ideas.

You are spot on about City going through a dip of their own earlier in the season, unfortunately we weren't able to capitalise much on that, hopefully we'll bounce back as well but in all honesty unless we change our tactics I simply can't see it and Jürgen is not the most flexible or adaptable manager at the best of times.

My main fear at the moment is that Man Utd humiliate us in our next league game.

I try to balance most of my 'statements' with a 'however' and if i'm wrong i try to be quick to acknowledge i was talking shi...te in aprevious post. 

I'm not sure which agendas you are referring to so would be happy to hear what you think they are?

I do know I would never talk about some of our players and manager the way you (and some others) do at times when things aren't quite going to plan. That's borne out of recognition of the incredible job they have done the past 3 years. The way you go after certain players (such as Salah) the moment he goes 3 games without a goal amazes me. I'm sure if we went back through this thread we could draw a graph to correlate his goal scoring with your silence and then dips in form with the sweeping criticism. 

As for Salah - Golden Boot winner in 2 of his first 3 seasons and currently on course to win it again. The criticism and lack of appreciation for him in this thread is the most perplexing thing about this forum for me. Many prefer to focus on his apparent spat with Mane and his selfishness in front of goal. We're so lucky to have him.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2871: Jan 06, 2021 02:32:49 pm

I swear if I was a new poster Heimy I'd say you were a wum in disguise.  ;D You really do blow hot and cold on your team. Even the manager which is surprising. Anytime you get get up of him can you send him to OT please.  :D

Certainly hope your right about the last paragraph though.  :f_whistle:
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #2872: Jan 06, 2021 05:05:14 pm
      Not sure this is allow for sharing, please someone delete if it's prohibited.
      From ThisIsAnfield,  Salah is never fouled
      https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/01/5-surprising-stats-about-liverpools-season-so-far/

Mohamed Salah is the league’s top scorer, playing for the league’s top team, in a crucial attacking role for a team which dominates possession.

As a result, he sees a lot of the ball, is often marked by two or three opposition defenders and has pace, skill and a desire to dribble.

You might expect then, that he earns quite a few free-kicks along the way…but you’d be wrong.

Despite similar-style Sadio Mane on the opposite side being fouled (or rather, having seen fouls given for challenges on him) 42 times this season in 16 games, Salah is nowhere close.

Not in the top 10 of the league, in fact (Mane is third), or the top 30. Or 50. Or the top 100.

Salah ranks 114th, having seen the whistle go in his favour just 11 times all season from 16 games or 1351 minutes. That’s once every 123 minutes and the same number of free-kicks earned as centre-backs Lewis Dunk and Wes Fofana, or slightly fewer than squad member wide forwards Lucas Moura (12 in 459 minutes) and Marc Albrighton (12 in 701 minutes).

In fact, as a team, Liverpool receive far fewer free-kicks from referees than other teams: the Reds average 8.8 fouls on players per game this season, which is lower than every other team in the league other than Sheffield United (7.4).

No surprise Klopp complains recently about the refs.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2873: Jan 06, 2021 05:45:36 pm
      I try to balance most of my 'statements' with a 'however' and if i'm wrong i try to be quick to acknowledge i was talking shi...te in aprevious post. 

I'm not sure which agendas you are referring to so would be happy to hear what you think they are?

I do know I would never talk about some of our players and manager the way you (and some others) do at times when things aren't quite going to plan. That's borne out of recognition of the incredible job they have done the past 3 years. The way you go after certain players (such as Salah) the moment he goes 3 games without a goal amazes me. I'm sure if we went back through this thread we could draw a graph to correlate his goal scoring with your silence and then dips in form with the sweeping criticism. 

As for Salah - Golden Boot winner in 2 of his first 3 seasons and currently on course to win it again. The criticism and lack of appreciation for him in this thread is the most perplexing thing about this forum for me. Many prefer to focus on his apparent spat with Mane and his selfishness in front of goal. We're so lucky to have him.

That's because you love the club and because of that, you love our players as well no matter who they are. And you're are more tolerant with them. You recognise their efforts that brought you joy, like winning the league and the CL.

Unlike you, I'm damned. I think only for meself and for the moment. I don't love the club unconditionally. They'll get me love if they win. In fact I'll love whichever team that wins. Especially my favourite team across Stanley Park. Sometimes City gets a bit more love because they're invincible. These days, I'm a scum. This week, I'm a saint.

That's me secret for staying happy always. That way, I'll forever be happy. ;D I cannot afford to be on the losing team. Whichever team that disappoints me gets a death sentence. Including Mo. I've dethroned and crowned him many times. I've lost count.

I'm no super fan, unlike you. But you've shown me why the famous Kop has some of the best fans in the world. :action-smiley-035:

I'll always walk alone.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2021 05:51:36 pm by ruthcity »
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2874: Jan 06, 2021 06:20:05 pm
      I swear if I was a new poster Heimy I'd say you were a wum in disguise.  ;D You really do blow hot and cold on your team. Even the manager which is surprising. Anytime you get get up of him can you send him to OT please.  :D

No chance. We've already given you "The Chosen One" from right across the park.

Quick Reply