Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 559301 times
      clint_call01, Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #1426: Jan 20, 2019 12:29:05 pm
      How about Pogba yesterday, very very similar to Salah against Newcastle?

Salah is going down to easy though, Joergen needs to have a word with him.

My argument/statement more that its getting a habit now. Most players do it at some time. Basically, it's just becoming more frequent with Salah now. In his defence though, with his pace it only takes a slight nudge at times to have a bigger effect on him than someone like Milner who has little pace.. Happens all the time with my Greyhounds  :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1427: Jan 20, 2019 12:32:11 pm
      My argument/statement more that its getting a habit now. Most players do it at some time. Basically, it's just becoming more frequent with Salah now. In his defence though, with his pace it only takes a slight nudge at times to have a bigger effect on him than someone like Milner who has little pace.. Happens all the time with my Greyhounds  :D

I agree he needs to stop it, I wonder though if he might be overcompensating from his tendency previously to sty on his feet even when being hacked at. Either way Klopp needs to have a word with him, its a distraction we don't need at the moment.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1428: Jan 20, 2019 12:47:09 pm
      Alan Shearer posting about it in Twitter this morning is disgraceful.

Lennon dived too I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8fMbxLTpps

There was contact, every right to go down I think was the phrase used previously.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1429: Jan 20, 2019 01:12:33 pm
      Shock horror there is silence about the Pogba dive yesterday.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1430: Jan 20, 2019 01:38:35 pm
      It's that 'we're outraged because we're morally superior beings' attitude that is a virus across the English press/media. Their silence/reluctance to fully engage with Kane and Vardy's behaviour shows the double standards and if you gave them the chance they'd probably be the first to claim that those two are just 'canny'.

Imperialist mindset and all that not helped by the lie that is still prevalent across much of English football that it was 'foreigners' that brought it in to the game.

Of course part of the frustration lies in the fact that Salah is once again leading the goal scoring charts and that it isn't one of their 'English Roses' like Vardy or Kane leading the way.

Goals on Sunday today showed clips of Vardy and Kane diving in recent weeks before talking about Salah, thinking you’re digging

We got next to nothing penalty wise last season so clearly the players have been told if they feel something make the most of it. Salah just has to be a bit cuter at times
      Big Sam of all people made the valid point that the reason why players do it is you almost never get a penalty without going down. This talk that diving is “the virus of the game” is absolute nonsense. Inconsistent incompetent refereeing is the root problem
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #1431: Jan 20, 2019 04:01:35 pm
      Who's arsed?

He won't be the first player to do it, he won't be the last.

The End!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1432: Jan 20, 2019 04:31:55 pm
      Embarrassing my arse!
      There was contact and the defender did not play the ball, seen pens given more times than not in that situation.
      The media didn't mention 'embarrassing' after Kane's acrobatics recently.

He went down about 2 seconds after the contact - can’t point fingers at others when Mo keeps going down easily.

Just because someone touches him doesn’t mean he is “entitled” to go and certainly doesn’t mean it’s even a foul .

If it happens again and we get a penalty and it’s found to be a dive then Mo gets banned - not very clever.

Also refs will start to not give him anything when he does get clattered. Stay on his feet
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1433: Jan 20, 2019 04:41:03 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1434: Jan 20, 2019 04:44:14 pm
      He went down about 2 seconds after the contact - can’t point fingers at others when Mo keeps going down easily.

Just because someone touches him doesn’t mean he is “entitled” to go and certainly doesn’t mean it’s even a foul .

If it happens again and we get a penalty and it’s found to be a dive then Mo gets banned - not very clever.

Also refs will start to not give him anything when he does get clattered. Stay on his feet

Agreed,  long term it becomes counter productive
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1435: Jan 20, 2019 04:47:40 pm

He did not go down after the initial contact even though he would probably have got a decision for it, he went down when the same player pulled him back after placing his hand on his shoulder, in the penalty area that is usually given.
      As stated previously Kane went down twice recently with no contact whatever and no comment from the media.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1436: Jan 20, 2019 04:54:35 pm
      He did not go down after the initial contact even though he would probably have got a decision for it, he went down when the same player pulled him back after placing his hand on his shoulder, in the penalty area that is usually given.
      As stated previously Kane went down twice recently with no contact whatever and no comment from the media.

He didn’t pull him back though , who cares about the media - no point trying to move it onto other players - it doesn’t absolve Mo - he went down when any contact wasn’t enough for him to go down or indeed impede him - needs to cut it out before it’s counter productive and it’s ends up harming us , got away with it so far
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1437: Jan 20, 2019 05:18:27 pm
      He didn’t pull him back though , who cares about the media - no point trying to move it onto other players - it doesn’t absolve Mo - he went down when any contact wasn’t enough for him to go down or indeed impede him - needs to cut it out before it’s counter productive and it’s ends up harming us , got away with it so far

Whatever the contact in the penalty area it is always exaggerated to get a decision that's all he's doing,
      That ref was a pr**k and got several decisions entirely wrong, could they be waiting for Salah to bite someone?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1438: Jan 20, 2019 05:30:27 pm
      Whatever the contact in the penalty area it is always exaggerated to get a decision that's all he's doing,
      That ref was a pr**k and got several decisions entirely wrong, could they be waiting for Salah to bite someone?

He is diving that’s what he was doing  - simple as that , he went down when the contact was not sufficient for him to go down - that’s diving. Yep the ref got decisions wrong that’s no in doubt but it’s clearly a dive - needs to cut it out
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1439: Jan 20, 2019 05:32:19 pm
      He scored two goals. He's got 50 in 72.

In context of that, does anyone really care whether he dived or not?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1440: Jan 20, 2019 05:37:12 pm

Right now because he got away it’s not a big deal but he is getting the rep and when we are drawing and he gets hit and goes down but doesn’t get it because of the rep then people will care or when he dives gets a penalty but then gets banned for it ?

He doesn’t need to do it though - stay on his feet and let them do the business
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1441: Jan 20, 2019 05:48:30 pm

If we go back to be given F**k all it will.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1442: Jan 20, 2019 05:58:49 pm
      I agree he needs to stop it, I wonder though if he might be overcompensating from his tendency previously to sty on his feet even when being hacked at. Either way Klopp needs to have a word with him, its a distraction we don't need at the moment.

That's true, many times when he had genuine reason to go down he still stayed up as that's his nature. Maybe players have told him to start going down more often, it would make sense.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1443: Jan 20, 2019 06:19:51 pm
      There’s another way to look at this in my opinion.....,

Rather than be pre-occupied about the penalties we may (or not) be given in the future (and let’s face it until this little burst refs have hardly been “benevolent”) - I prefer to think about fact that defenders are scared to get too close when he plays through the middle.

Last season they were petrified to get too tight  out wide right in case he spun them and left ‘em trailing.

This season - in the more congested middle - their instinct is to stay tight BUT they now know if they lean on him or in any way try to interfere with his momentum (other than legitimately play the ball) he’s gonna go to ground then score the penalty.......OR At very least put the ref (and themselves) under enormous pressure next time.

I think as a coaching team they’ve looked at it and identified that there is an opportunity.

Personally - I think that going to ground is different from an out and out “dive” and it’s the former he’s been doing this season.

Thin line - I agree - but I think the upside outweighs the down. He gets enough room to move the ball or shift body position and get a shot off.
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2019 07:22:28 pm by Scotia »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1444: Jan 20, 2019 07:19:36 pm
      He is diving that’s what he was doing  - simple as that , he went down when the contact was not sufficient for him to go down - that’s diving. Yep the ref got decisions wrong that’s no in doubt but it’s clearly a dive - needs to cut it out

That right there is bullshit.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1445: Jan 20, 2019 07:27:35 pm

No it’s not - he dived , it’s not a crime to say it , doesn’t make anyone less of a fan and its cheating at the end of the day - we don’t want to see other players do it , you don’t seem to have a problem pointing fingers at Kane for doing it but why not Salah when he is diving.

It happened with Suarez when he stopped getting fouls and pens because he dived and made a meal of everything.

Our managers of old would be giving Mo a right ear full
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1446: Jan 20, 2019 07:31:55 pm
      No it’s not - he dived , it’s not a crime to say it , doesn’t make anyone less of a fan and its cheating at the end of the day - we don’t want to see other players do it , you don’t seem to have a problem pointing fingers at Kane for doing it but why not Salah when he is diving.

It happened with Suarez when he stopped getting fouls and pens because he dived and made a meal of everything.

Our managers of old would be giving Mo a right ear full

More bullshit.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1447: Jan 20, 2019 07:35:22 pm
      If you ask me forget the ethics of the game.  We need to win games whether that be by hook or crook, by luck or pure class, be it comfortable or nail biting.  We just need to keep going and win football matches. 

Will it bite us maybe it will.  Maybe it won’t.   He needs to try and do his best and winning penalties is one of his duties.  Recently he has had a few penalties and it is recently he has decided to take the option of going down.  Before this late string of penalties we didn't get one for donkey’s. Must be doing something right.  They all do it.  So until the rest stop am not going to be overly bothered. 
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #1448: Jan 20, 2019 07:47:58 pm

Excellently debated - can see you’re the brains of the operation

Quick Reply