Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546650 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #1840: Jun 23, 2019 08:29:30 pm
      A move anywhere else would be a backward step for Mo Salah. Who after all is playing for the European champions !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1841: Jun 23, 2019 10:36:07 pm
      A move anywhere else would be a backward step for Mo Salah. Who after all is playing for the European champions !

Absolutely correct. I saw somewhere Samuel Eto saying he needs to go to Spain so he can play in the best league in the world.........????? Said he should play for Barcelona.

Pretty sure we just beat them. It really blows the mind.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1842: Jun 23, 2019 10:43:38 pm
      Absolutely correct. I saw somewhere Samuel Eto saying he needs to go to Spain so he can play in the best league in the world.........????? Said he should play for Barcelona.

Eto'o still thinks its 2009. The worlds moving on and the premier league is where it is at.

Man City and Liverpool are in my view the 2 best teams in the world right now. I dont think we have a policy of cashing in on top players any longer, especially to a direct rival so Mo is exactly where he needs to be.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1843: Jun 24, 2019 02:47:36 am
      Eto'o still thinks its 2009. The worlds moving on and the premier league is where it is at.

Man City and Liverpool are in my view the 2 best teams in the world right now. I dont think we have a policy of cashing in on top players any longer, especially to a direct rival so Mo is exactly where he needs to be.

When have we? those top players who have left is because they dragged the shirt through the mud to push a way out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1844: Jun 24, 2019 08:22:49 am

Samuel Eto played for the Ev........nuff said ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1845: Jun 24, 2019 10:26:31 am

Saw that too...my response was who gives a F**k what he thinks!!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1846: Jun 24, 2019 05:15:22 pm

Yes Barcelona where well & truly battered at Anfield, by all account.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1847: Jun 24, 2019 06:59:29 pm
      An ex bitter and an ex chav wanting us to lose one of our most vital players to go to another of his former teams that will soon be on the look out for a new addition to their front 3. Who’d have thought it.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #1848: Jun 26, 2019 05:51:14 pm
      It was in response to Egypt’s latest performance in the ACN.
      Apparently their tactic was to pass the ball to Mo and expect him to do something brilliant with it. E’to was suggesting he go to Barcelona because they play as a team and would create chances for him. Not sure he’s seen us play much recently!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1849: Jun 26, 2019 05:54:49 pm
      It was in response to Egypt’s latest performance in the ACN.
      Apparently their tactic was to pass the ball to Mo and expect him to do something brilliant with it. E’to was suggesting he go to Barcelona because they play as a team and would create chances for him. Not sure he’s seen us play much recently!!!

He was asked about  salah going to madrid, something eto'o did very early in his career
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1850: Jun 26, 2019 10:51:28 pm
      Bagged tonight. Good goal too. Their other winger Trezeguet is a talent.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #1851: Jun 27, 2019 12:06:01 am
      thought he looked absolutely shattered tonight. puts a hell of a shift in for them.. this tournament ends 2 weeks before we start our season..........
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1852: Jun 27, 2019 01:19:48 am
      What a F***ing goal from Mo. Just Mo doing Mo things!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1853: Jun 27, 2019 07:21:43 am
      thought he looked absolutely shattered tonight. puts a hell of a shift in for them.. this tournament ends 2 weeks before we start our season..........

There’s something about Salah that tells me he just wants to play all the time. His lifestyle and fitness is world class - he’ll miss a couple of games I think but that’s it.

He’s amazing
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #1854: Jun 27, 2019 12:50:54 pm
      There’s something about Salah that tells me he just wants to play all the time. His lifestyle and fitness is world class - he’ll miss a couple of games I think but that’s it.

He’s amazing
      The term "gym rat" fits Salah, VvD, and multiple other LFC players. Athletes who live to play their sport regardless if they're getting paid or playing a pick up game. I couldn't believe how much VvD played last preseason and last season and no doubt his understanding with Klopp is: If I'm reasonably healthy , I'm playing.

Some athletes, no matter how great they are, live in fear that if they relent even 1% they will lose their starting position or their place on the roster altogether.

Tom Brady, QB of the New England Patriots NFL football team, is perhaps the greatest example of an elite athlete who, despite winning 16 Division titles, 9 Conference championships, 6 Super Bowls, and every accolade you an imagine, refuses to cede any playing time to backups, even during garbage time of games because that is how he is wired.  He fought for playing time in college verses a star recruit who was anointed the team's starter before arriving on campus. Brady was the 4th string QB at New England who had to beat out the team's franchise player, #1 QB Drew Bledsoe. It took a Bledsoe injury for Brady to finally get his shot as the Patriots starter 19 years ago and the fear of being replaced by the "next new guy" has been one of his greatest driving forces that has pushed him to succeed....even now at age 41.

Then there is an athlete like Kyrie Irving, an incredibly talented but perpetually unhappy NBA point guard in search of his next team. He was quoted yesterday as saying "I'm looking for a new team with enough talent so I don't have to play every night." (I paraphrase). Imagine handing the keys of your franchise and the combination to its vault to a player whose first priority is "star treatment." (Neymar comes to mind)

Salah is fighter like Brady.....someone who has had to battle his entire career with the mentality of having to constantly prove himself. And even with all his current success, Mo is not taking anything for granted.
      (a little different than Neymar....wouldn't you say)

Fill a roster with this type of wiring and you have one bad ass team. Salah, VvD, Robertson, Milner, Henderson, Mane come to mind though I know LFC has a bunch more
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019 01:40:10 pm by Borg »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1855: Jun 30, 2019 10:20:46 pm
      Scored a free kick for Egypt. If he adds that to his game here then his numbers will hit the heights of his first season!
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #1856: Jul 19, 2019 04:29:24 pm
      Apparently....the Spanish press knows LFC business better than anyone. LMFAO

"According to reports in Spain (via Sportsmole), Liverpool are ready to offer Salah a new five-year deal worth a colossal £22.4m a year in wages, roughly equal to £431k-a-week..........Recent speculation suggested that the Reds have set an eye-watering asking price to ward off interest from Real Madrid and Juventus, believed to be around €180million.
      https://www.teamtalk.com/news/liverpool-prepare-record-breaking-five-year-deal-for-71-goal-star

Question: Does every media outlet in Spain do the bidding of Real Madrid and Barca?
      Like in this case...an obvious attempt to drive a financial wedge between Salah and LFC.....aka ....laying some ground work for future snatch attempts?

Ignoring the pot stirring attempt and just looking at these bloated numbers at their face value, I have to ask why LFC would feel compelled to go all in on Mo given his current terms, length of contract, and transfer price.
      As sensational as he was in 2017-18 in his first PL season, Mo came somewhat back to earth netting 17 non-penalty kick goals.
      2017-18 Mo is worthy of such a gargantuan salary, 2018-19 MO....not so much. Truthfully, PL teams managed to contain him and essentially took his left boot away from him. Factor in his struggles maintaining possession and his high turnover rate.
      If I'm LFC, I'd want to rate his third LFC season before going all in.
      Personally, I see an exceptionally driven player but not a generational talent.
      I hope I'm wrong

Other factors: VvD's contract expectations.
      Can LFC pay both as rarified talents? Probably.
      Should they?
      I wouldn't. Unlike in 2017-18, this past season Mo wasn't beating his man.
      VvD doesn't get beaten

That being said, I'm sure LFC has quantified the global off field value of Mo Salah and the business of marketing is a major revenue component. Fenway Sports revels in such extra income opportunities. Refer to the Boston Red Sox and their 162 games a year star driven TV broadcasts that get 24/7/365 coverage on Fenway Groups privately owned TV network. (Their over the top marketing is sickening to many diehard fans)
      --------------------
      Fun to discuss....but likely more fake news designed to compete with the thousands of bogus rumors floated this time of year to gain desperate clicks.
      My personal favorite..."Klopp getting evicted"

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1857: Jul 19, 2019 06:02:39 pm
      Apparently....the Spanish press knows LFC business better than anyone. LMFAO

"According to reports in Spain (via Sportsmole), Liverpool are ready to offer Salah a new five-year deal worth a colossal £22.4m a year in wages, roughly equal to £431k-a-week..........Recent speculation suggested that the Reds have set an eye-watering asking price to ward off interest from Real Madrid and Juventus, believed to be around €180million.
      https://www.teamtalk.com/news/liverpool-prepare-record-breaking-five-year-deal-for-71-goal-star

Question: Does every media outlet in Spain do the bidding of Real Madrid and Barca?
      Like in this case...an obvious attempt to drive a financial wedge between Salah and LFC.....aka ....laying some ground work for future snatch attempts?

Ignoring the pot stirring attempt and just looking at these bloated numbers at their face value, I have to ask why LFC would feel compelled to go all in on Mo given his current terms, length of contract, and transfer price.
      As sensational as he was in 2017-18 in his first PL season, Mo came somewhat back to earth netting 17 non-penalty kick goals.
      2017-18 Mo is worthy of such a gargantuan salary, 2018-19 MO....not so much. Truthfully, PL teams managed to contain him and essentially took his left boot away from him. Factor in his struggles maintaining possession and his high turnover rate.
      If I'm LFC, I'd want to rate his third LFC season before going all in.
      Personally, I see an exceptionally driven player but not a generational talent.
      I hope I'm wrong

Other factors: VvD's contract expectations.
      Can LFC pay both as rarified talents? Probably.
      Should they?
      I wouldn't. Unlike in 2017-18, this past season Mo wasn't beating his man.
      VvD doesn't get beaten

That being said, I'm sure LFC has quantified the global off field value of Mo Salah and the business of marketing is a major revenue component. Fenway Sports revels in such extra income opportunities. Refer to the Boston Red Sox and their 162 games a year star driven TV broadcasts that get 24/7/365 coverage on Fenway Groups privately owned TV network. (Their over the top marketing is sickening to many diehard fans)
      --------------------
      Fun to discuss....but likely more fake news designed to compete with the thousands of bogus rumors floated this time of year to gain desperate clicks.
      My personal favorite..."Klopp getting evicted"

*sigh*

You don't really get this football lark do you.

22 goals in 38 league games is better than 1 in 2, which is pretty much the benchmark for strikers let alone attacking wide players.

And that's with most teams doubling up on him, or even trebling up on him, which in turn leaves more space for other players.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1858: Jul 19, 2019 09:01:15 pm
      I don't see a world where he makes more than 2x than the next highest paid player. Just wouldn't make any type of financial sense because you just fu**ed up your wage structure and everyone else will be knocking on the Klopp's door for a raise.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1859: Jul 19, 2019 10:28:35 pm
      *sigh*

You don't really get this football lark do you.

22 goals in 38 league games is better than 1 in 2, which is pretty much the benchmark for strikers let alone attacking wide players.

And that's with most teams doubling up on him, or even trebling up on him, which in turn leaves more space for other players.

It’s a weird thing to be saying really, if he has this issue with the leagues top scorer (for the 2nd year running) and once again getting more than out and out strikers, then I dread to think what he must think about the likes of Aguero and Kane.

Madness.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1860: Jul 20, 2019 11:53:08 am
      It’s a weird thing to be saying really, if he has this issue with the leagues top scorer (for the 2nd year running) and once again getting more than out and out strikers, then I dread to think what he must think about the likes of Aguero and Kane.

Madness.

Yeah but I can see where Borg is coming from, Mo wasn't at the same level last season as he was his first, he is still a very very good striker though, but not exactly Ronaldo/Messi consistency levels.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1861: Jul 20, 2019 12:09:55 pm
      I hope Mo has another terrible season just like last season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1862: Jul 20, 2019 02:01:23 pm
      I hope Mo has another terrible season just like last season.

I prefer he has another season like his debut season :-)

Quick Reply