Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546602 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #2323: Feb 12, 2020 04:49:06 pm
      Then he is away again in January for AFCON?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2324: Feb 12, 2020 05:01:41 pm
      Then he is away again in January for AFCON?

Yes, as will Mane and Keita, although Egypt aren't doing great in their qualifying group so far. I think we'll plan for this, though, and probably do that better than other teams who will lose African players in January. I notice that the competition ends inside the winter break, which will help.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2325: Feb 12, 2020 05:08:52 pm
      Yes, as will Mane and Keita, although Egypt aren't doing great in their qualifying group so far. I think we'll plan for this, though, and probably do that better than other teams who will lose African players in January. I notice that the competition ends inside the winter break, which will help.
      You’re no doubt right about planning ahead but it is of course far from ideal. It will certainly impact us more than most considering the quality and importance of our African players.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2326: Feb 12, 2020 05:12:34 pm
      You’re no doubt right about planning ahead but it is of course far from ideal. It will certainly impact us more than most considering the quality and importance of our African players.

True, although we've got a much better squad than most.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2327: Feb 12, 2020 05:53:30 pm
      another headache for Jürgen one he could well do without we haven't finished this season and already we problems storing up for the next one
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2328: Feb 12, 2020 07:25:47 pm
      According to someone on another forum, we have the right to withdraw any player over the age of 23 from the Olympics. I can't seem to find anything about this, though, but I suspect it's true.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2329: Feb 12, 2020 07:38:56 pm
      According to someone on another forum, we have the right to withdraw any player over the age of 23 from the Olympics. I can't seem to find anything about this, though, but I suspect it's true.

I was just going to ask about this - the Olympics aren't a holy day of obligation for FIFA, are they?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2330: Feb 13, 2020 10:10:16 am
      Mo is now two goals away from becoming the first Liverpool player since Owen to score 20 or more goals in three consecutive seasons.

For comparison Suarez got 17, 30 and 31. Torres achieved 33, 17 and 22. Salah's record is now 44, 27 and 18.

Since his debut he has scored 68 PL goals and 24 assists, a combined total of 92, which is 17 more goal involvements than the next best, Aguero (58 goals, 17 assists).

21 of his goals have been the opening goal, and 24 have been winning goals.

His first season was a bit of an anomaly; he was involved in a goal every 71 minutes. However we can compare last season, every 117 minutes, to this, every 106 minutes.

Some may say he's selfish, but all strikers are to an extent. Although it can be frustrating watching an opportunity to score lost, as Klopp says "We have seen goals from Mo where he scores between four players and finds the roof of the goal. Then when you don't score people say you should pass here or there."

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2331: Feb 13, 2020 10:59:43 am
      The Egypt manager has said that it's up to Liverpool and Mo if he wants to go to the Olympics -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51483484

Mohamed Salah's potential involvement at Tokyo 2020 will be a decision for the player and his club Liverpool, says Egypt coach Shawky Gharib.

The forward, 27, is on Egypt's provisional 50-man list for the football tournament, which will hold its final on 8 August - the first day of the 2020-21 Premier League season.

"We cannot force Salah to participate with us," Gharib told Reuters.

The tournament is for under-23 teams but three over-age players are allowed.

Fifa has previously acknowledged that clubs are not obliged to release over-age players for the Tokyo Olympics.

Gharib added: "Salah's participation with the Pharaohs team is a decision to be taken only by Salah, his club Liverpool and his coach Jürgen Klopp.

"I have chosen him in an expanded list of 50 players. The final list of 18 players will be submitted next June."

Speaking last month Klopp said no decision had been made.

Klopp said: "Nothing really to say about it. What I have to say to Mo I will say to him and not here (in this press conference). That's all. No decision made from either side, that's all I can say.

"I wish we could have the whole squad together for pre-season which is not possible for different reasons - the Euro's coming up, Copa America again. Yes, Olympic Games - it's a wonderful tournament but would be not so cool. So far, no decision and you have to wait a little bit."

On Wednesday Salah's agent Ramy Abbas Issa tweeted: "No decision has been made yet."
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2332: Feb 13, 2020 11:22:19 am
      I'd want to go to the Olympics. How often do you get to play in one of these games? Don't answer if you are Sam Quek.

If he goes we can only hope that they get eliminated and he comes home early.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2333: Feb 13, 2020 11:50:45 am
      there has to be a sense of loyalty to the club here. Players at his age should not be going to the Olympics and the U23 should be just that.
      This will affect his whole season if he goes and even more if he is injured. This is exactly what Jürgen is banging on about the players are being treated like machines .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2334: Feb 13, 2020 02:15:57 pm
      I'd want to go to the Olympics. How often do you get to play in one of these games? Don't answer if you are Sam Quek.

If he goes we can only hope that they get eliminated and he comes home early.

In a vacuum I'd want to go but the decision isn't in a vacuum. He should go through preseason with our team and stay with them. We don't get to do everything cool that comes along in life and he doesn't owe the Egyptian FA anything. The right decision fir him and us is to decline.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2335: Feb 13, 2020 02:38:32 pm
      If Salah wants to go then I think the club will abide by his wishes, as much as it is annoying situation for us going into next season. I can't see the club making a hard stance on this issue with the potential of upsetting the apple cart.

Just have to cross our fingers that Salah will decline the invite.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2336: Feb 13, 2020 06:10:54 pm
      If Salah wants to go then I think the club will abide by his wishes, as much as it is annoying situation for us going into next season. I can't see the club making a hard stance on this issue with the potential of upsetting the apple cart.

Just have to cross our fingers that Salah will decline the invite.

Salah isn't that happy with his FA. If it was Mane, he would go 100%.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2337: Feb 13, 2020 07:34:51 pm
      Rather he didn't go to with the national team but it's during pre-season so it's not the end of the world if he does. The important thing is he returns injury free and ready to go for the start of the season with us.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2338: Feb 13, 2020 08:44:12 pm
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2339: Feb 13, 2020 09:49:49 pm
      He has to make a stand.  There is the AFCON too.  Really should be dropping out of one of them.  It is too much he is a world class player phenomenal he is going to get burnout. Simple as.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2340: Feb 13, 2020 10:00:48 pm

greedy b***ard winning awards too
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2341: Feb 13, 2020 10:09:11 pm
      Yeh greedy c**t taking it off Kane's plate.  He swears on his daughter life that he scored them 3 goals!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2342: Feb 13, 2020 11:03:53 pm
      I think with the issues he has had with the FA over there I don’t think he will be keen to go. Bit hard with his national hero status though.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2343: Feb 14, 2020 01:04:43 pm

Congrats Mo  ;D fully deserved award.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2344: Feb 14, 2020 02:47:57 pm