Trending Topics

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546892 times
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #2967: Apr 15, 2021 02:25:19 pm
      His miss in the first 2 minutes set the tone for the night...had that gone in Madrid would have sh*t themselves & we would have opened them apart..

Not really. Don't you remember all the chances and the amazing play against Roma before we finally scored? It's just not our season, with the crowd we would have smashed them.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #2968: Apr 15, 2021 06:27:24 pm
      His miss in the first 2 minutes set the tone for the night...had that gone in Madrid would have sh*t themselves & we would have opened them apart..

Definitely would have set the tone and caused immediate panic to Real. He had so much time to stop the ball and place it in the corner and instead rushed it and one-timed it off the pass. Horrible execution.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2969: Apr 15, 2021 06:29:57 pm
      Yep.

Amazes me he still gets criticism as this season he's the only one of the front three who's had any decent form.

Imagine the state of this season if Mo hadn't been there?

this. 100%
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #2970: Apr 16, 2021 11:46:05 am
      I genuinely don't get it. We are having a horrible season and out of the 11 players, there's only 3 names we could pull out of the lot and say they have had a decent/good season despite the circumstances. Fabinho, Robbo and Mo. Yet the latter can't catch a break from some people no matter what he does and regardless of the circumstances around him.

I did not do the math on his number of goals that could be labelled as ''game winners'' but that is pointless considering we are absolutely sh*te and he ultimately can't control how much we concede and also can't be asked to score 2 or 3 every game to ensure we win every time. What I've done the maths about tho is his goals production for us in contrast to what we produce in total. Put simply, he has his name on 36% of all the goals we've scored in the PL this season. In comparison Bruno Fernandes scored 26% of his team's goals, City doesn't even have a name in the top 5 scorers of the league, same goes for Chelsea, West Ham and Leicester (the message being that all the teams above us managed to have varied contributions and don't just rely on one guy all while bashing him). The only team around us in the league that has a similar reliance to ours on a goalscorer is Tottenham (Kane with 37% of his team's goals) and they are having a very similar season to ours.  I don't hear any Spurs fan say Kane should be on his game and score another 2 per game to pull them into a CL spot. And by comparison Kane is playing with Son who has been equally as good as him while Salah is playing with the whiny ghost of Mane and a very out of form Bobby.

If we stretch the comparison to the other leagues in what is called the ''top 5 of Europe'', the only names with a similar or higher goal contribution for their teams all while playing for a ''top club'' are Lewandowski with 43%, Ronaldo with 41%, Haaland with 36%, Suarez with 37%, Benzema with 36%. Even if I was to ignore the obvious giant gulf in quality between some of the leagues these players play in in comparison to the PL, I don't hear the fans of any of those clubs say things like ''Ronaldo isn't scoring enough that's why we suck'' or ''the whole system is based on Lewandowski scoring, he's overrated, lets sell him and get'' blah blah blah. The message here is that the top clubs who have players who contribute to 35% of their goals know what they have in their hands and are either winning or trying to fix things around those players in order to make use of those numbers and eventually win something.

Even tho some people seem to not have caught on and realized that Madrid and Barca are broke and they're not the big money guys anymore, lets say we do sell Mo to one of those two clubs for the 100M$ some people are talking about, then what? We are going to go toe to toe with City and PSG in terms of wages and transfer sum and beat them to Mbappe or Haaland (who's agent was quoted saying he wants to make him the first 1M/week player like 5 days ago or so)? Let's just say for a second that Haaland is going to adapt perfectly to the league and contribute to 3% or 4% of our goals more than Mo does then what? We are going to trade 35% of our goals for somebody who will score 35% to 40% of our goals all while paying him the equivalent wage of about 5 Mo's per week?  This is gonna do what exactly for us in terms of net results on the pitch? What happens to our wage structure? We get the money to sign quality reinforcement for the other positions from where? Do we also sell VVD and other or we raise their wages too because now they all know we are paying Haaland about 10 times their weekly wage? What happens if Sadio keeps on being sh*t? Have we solved our CB issues? Have we solved our creativity issues?

I get that this is a forum and we are all here to give our opinion and at the end of the day I'm not going to fault anybody for saying what they think but I'm genuinely baffled by the logic some people display and the incoherences in their speech. Some of us here on this forum really talk like real world football is FIFA 2021 or something. It's not, wake up.   
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2971: Apr 16, 2021 01:35:17 pm
      I genuinely don't get it. We are having a horrible season and out of the 11 players, there's only 3 names we could pull out of the lot and say they have had a decent/good season despite the circumstances. Fabinho, Robbo and Mo. Yet the latter can't catch a break from some people no matter what he does and regardless of the circumstances around him.

I did not do the math on his number of goals that could be labelled as ''game winners'' but that is pointless considering we are absolutely sh*te and he ultimately can't control how much we concede and also can't be asked to score 2 or 3 every game to ensure we win every time. What I've done the maths about tho is his goals production for us in contrast to what we produce in total. Put simply, he has his name on 36% of all the goals we've scored in the PL this season. In comparison Bruno Fernandes scored 26% of his team's goals, City doesn't even have a name in the top 5 scorers of the league, same goes for Chelsea, West Ham and Leicester (the message being that all the teams above us managed to have varied contributions and don't just rely on one guy all while bashing him). The only team around us in the league that has a similar reliance to ours on a goalscorer is Tottenham (Kane with 37% of his team's goals) and they are having a very similar season to ours.  I don't hear any Spurs fan say Kane should be on his game and score another 2 per game to pull them into a CL spot. And by comparison Kane is playing with Son who has been equally as good as him while Salah is playing with the whiny ghost of Mane and a very out of form Bobby.

If we stretch the comparison to the other leagues in what is called the ''top 5 of Europe'', the only names with a similar or higher goal contribution for their teams all while playing for a ''top club'' are Lewandowski with 43%, Ronaldo with 41%, Haaland with 36%, Suarez with 37%, Benzema with 36%. Even if I was to ignore the obvious giant gulf in quality between some of the leagues these players play in in comparison to the PL, I don't hear the fans of any of those clubs say things like ''Ronaldo isn't scoring enough that's why we suck'' or ''the whole system is based on Lewandowski scoring, he's overrated, lets sell him and get'' blah blah blah. The message here is that the top clubs who have players who contribute to 35% of their goals know what they have in their hands and are either winning or trying to fix things around those players in order to make use of those numbers and eventually win something.

Even tho some people seem to not have caught on and realized that Madrid and Barca are broke and they're not the big money guys anymore, lets say we do sell Mo to one of those two clubs for the 100M$ some people are talking about, then what? We are going to go toe to toe with City and PSG in terms of wages and transfer sum and beat them to Mbappe or Haaland (who's agent was quoted saying he wants to make him the first 1M/week player like 5 days ago or so)? Let's just say for a second that Haaland is going to adapt perfectly to the league and contribute to 3% or 4% of our goals more than Mo does then what? We are going to trade 35% of our goals for somebody who will score 35% to 40% of our goals all while paying him the equivalent wage of about 5 Mo's per week?  This is gonna do what exactly for us in terms of net results on the pitch? What happens to our wage structure? We get the money to sign quality reinforcement for the other positions from where? Do we also sell VVD and other or we raise their wages too because now they all know we are paying Haaland about 10 times their weekly wage? What happens if Sadio keeps on being sh*t? Have we solved our CB issues? Have we solved our creativity issues?

I get that this is a forum and we are all here to give our opinion and at the end of the day I'm not going to fault anybody for saying what they think but I'm genuinely baffled by the logic some people display and the incoherences in their speech. Some of us here on this forum really talk like real world football is FIFA 2021 or something. It's not, wake up.   

I saw some analysis yesterday that someone did of our front three over the past I think it was 3 years. This year they have actually all statistically dropped off. If I remember what I was reading correctly, Mo's dropoff was significant as well as Bobby's. I think Mane is still on his normal pace although his expected goals ratio is down (as is Bobby's...Mo is actually outperforming his a little bit). While Mo is "carrying" us goal wise, it's nowhere near as outstanding as his past performances, I believe he also has more penalties this year. Not slating him one way or the other. I think the chemistry is off for all of them and I think a good part of that is the upheaval at the back and in the midfield. It was always going to be a trick to get them clicking with Thiago and then he was out for all that time along with Virgil. The pressing seems to have fallen off (even from Bobby a little bit) but Salah does so little pressing normally that it's not as apparent.

I honestly think at this point we need a reset...not a rebuild. We need to get through this year, it would be great to make top 4 and then we regroup once we are healthy, and hopefully bring in reinforcements so that if we were to ever have this type of situation again, maybe we'd weather it a bit better. I have a feeling next season our front three will all be firing again and with the addition of Jota, we are going to score a sh*t-ton of goals again.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #2972: Apr 24, 2021 05:46:29 pm
      Mo scored his 20th league goal today, should have had more but well done Mo
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2973: Apr 25, 2021 02:03:15 am
      At least he F***ing scored.

The other 2 don't look like they know what they are doing in front of goal and as for Diogo, he couldn't do a thing right last night, had a shocker but still would have kept him on ahead of Bobby and Sadio. At least he was trying and looked annoyed at himself when he fu**ed up. Sadio just had that stupid smile on his face!!!

Getting back to Mo though, we would be relegation fodder without his contributions this season!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2974: May 02, 2021 10:11:55 pm
      Looks like he's set to miss our preseason this summer as will likely play for Egypt U23s at the Olympics in Japan from July 21 to Aug. 7. Egypt can't demand he be released but Salah apparently wants to be there. Minamino may be there as well.

Of course we'll also have players in Copa America and Euro 2021.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #2975: May 02, 2021 10:16:52 pm
      Looks like he's set to miss our preseason this summer as will likely play for Egypt U23s at the Olympics in Japan from July 21 to Aug. 7. Egypt can't demand he be released but Salah apparently wants to be there. Minamino may be there as well.

Of course we'll also have players in Copa America and Euro 2021.

Doubt we'll let him go for the Olympics. AFCON is one of two reasons why next season is fu**ed. The other is the Europa League.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #2976: May 02, 2021 10:38:03 pm
      Looks like he's set to miss our preseason this summer as will likely play for Egypt U23s at the Olympics

Salah: "Boss, I want to play for the under 23s at the Olympics."
      Klopp: "Are you under 23?"
      Salah: "Er, no."
      Klopp: "There's your answer then. Close the door on your way out."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2977: May 02, 2021 11:15:41 pm
      Salah: "Boss, I want to play for the under 23s at the Olympics."
      Klopp: "Are you under 23?"
      Salah: "Er, no."
      Klopp: "There's your answer then. Close the door on your way out."

Age limit. Since 1992 male competitors have been required to be under 23 years old; since 1996, a maximum of three over-23-year-old players have been allowed per squad.

Egypt want him as one of their three over 23 year olds to play at the Olympics, been known for a while they want him to play.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2978: May 02, 2021 11:23:41 pm
      Always wondered why people post these imaginary conversations
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #2979: May 02, 2021 11:58:27 pm
      Age limit. Since 1992 male competitors have been required to be under 23 years old; since 1996, a maximum of three over-23-year-old players have been allowed per squad.

Egypt want him as one of their three over 23 year olds to play at the Olympics, been known for a while they want him to play.

I know

And it's bullshit

Klopp can tell Salah where the door is if he doesn't like it
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2980: May 03, 2021 12:00:54 am
      I know

And it's bullshit

Klopp can tell Salah where the door is if he doesn't like it

He can't, it goes along the same rules as international call ups
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2981: May 03, 2021 12:08:36 am
      He can't, it goes along the same rules as international call ups

It's not in a FIFA window per se, but I think the club are pretty likely to let him play there (mainly because the player wants to) - and as you say, teams are allowed 3 overage players.

It's not ideal but I think they will let him go as part of keeping him content. The Arab Cup is not in a FIFA window either and according to that Athletic article, the club won't let him go to that despite Egypt wanting him. Ideally he would be in preseason with us but hopefully he is building some level of fitness playing in Japan (and still gets a break from the end of the season until training camp for Egypt begins),
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2982: May 03, 2021 12:10:04 am
      Doubt we'll let him go for the Olympics. AFCON is one of two reasons why next season is fu**ed. The other is the Europa League.

How does the Europa League ruin our season?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2983: May 03, 2021 12:14:27 am

Possibly early start to the season, depending on when we start in the competition,
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2984: May 03, 2021 12:28:29 am
      Possibly early start to the season, depending on when we start in the competition,

Nah. The two berths from English teams will enter in the group stage. First matchday for that this season was Oct. 22 so we should be well under way in the Premier League by then.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #2985: May 03, 2021 12:35:10 am

Because teams in it tend to drop about ten points more than they're worth. It's not rational - same rest between CL and EL games between domestic games, EL games are easier etc, but it always always happens. And it doesn't just happen to teams on the way up or on the way down. Great PL teams have massively underperformed as soon as they are in the EL. The Europa is a succubus - a complete drain of energy.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2986: May 03, 2021 12:39:27 am
      Because teams in it tend to drop about ten points more than they're worth. It's not rational - same rest between CL and EL games between domestic games, EL games are easier etc, but it always always happens. And it doesn't just happen to teams on the way up or on the way down. Great PL teams have massively underperformed as soon as they are in the EL. The Europa is a succubus - a complete drain of energy.

Hmm. When we went to the final in Klopp's first season here we did leak points in the Premiership run-in. Maybe we can buck the trend this time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2987: May 03, 2021 12:40:46 am
      Hmm. When we went to the final in Klopp's first season here we did leak points in the Premiership run-in. Maybe we can buck the trend this time.

If we're not in CL, I'd rather miss out on Europa and go all out after winning back the league.
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #2988: May 03, 2021 12:41:25 am

a) It's sh*te

b) It takes Klopp and the first team out of training for 3 days when he could be training them for the weekend games.

Day 1 - fly to some godforsaken shithole
      Day 2 - play the game
      Day 3 - tit about at Kirkby doing post-game relaxation yoga complete with scented candles and George Harrison sitar tracks and a lorra lorra henna tattoos
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2989: May 03, 2021 12:58:04 am
      If we're not in CL, I'd rather miss out on Europa and go all out after winning back the league.

I'm in the minority view on that one around here as well. I think it's a competition worth winning, even if it's well behind the Champions League and Premier League titles.

Quick Reply